• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Matt Bozon's suggestion was to just have her poof in and out of her transformations for a single attack, no dancing. Which, while that obviously would be fine and fit the fast-paced nature of the game, is kind of a bummer. xD

I like the suggestion of having her dance during her "charge up" of her smash attacks and then unleashing a single attack as a transformation and reverting back afterward. That way you get to keep the dancing mechanic and it makes sense that it would take a while since it's literally her charge-up for her smashes.

It would also give her a unique charge-up animation too which could distinguish her from the rest of the roster (kind of like how Yoshi's shield is an egg). Sounds like it would be fun to me.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Matt Bozon's suggestion was to just have her poof in and out of her transformations for a single attack, no dancing. Which, while that obviously would be fine and fit the fast-paced nature of the game, is kind of a bummer. xD

I like the suggestion of having her dance during her "charge up" of her smash attacks and then unleashing a single attack as a transformation and reverting back afterward. That way you get to keep the dancing mechanic and it makes sense that it would take a while since it's literally her charge-up for her smashes.

It would also give her a unique charge-up animation too which could distinguish her from the rest of the roster (kind of like how Yoshi's shield is an egg). Sounds like it would be fun to me.
Agreed, the more I've been thinking about it since it was brought up here, the more the dancing windup smashes are my favorite idea for the dances.
It gets rid of the problem of not having her dance before hand that the individual moves solution has, while also allowing the moveset to flow much better in theory than the stance fighter-ish solution, at least in theory, making her feel a lot more fluid.

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
It'd be interesting if she had the same dance animation for charging every smash attack. Something unique to her that makes it impossible to tell which smash attack she is using until it actually comes out.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Like I said, this is fine really.

But if Pokemon Switching, Pocketing, Weapon Durability and Ink Refilling got into Smash, I see no reason why Shantae's Transformation system can't be in this game as well, if handled correctly.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
It'd be interesting if she had the same dance animation for charging every smash attack. Something unique to her that makes it impossible to tell which smash attack she is using until it actually comes out.
I think that might be a bad idea for balance, unfortunately, and her smashes would probably have to be weaker than most to compensate, so I would prefer the dances have some variance, though I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Well, she could always have her dances be infinite taunts like Bayonetta.
Are those infinite? I just remember them taking a long time, but not infinite.

This is a problem I never had thought about.

Now I'm prepared to be annoyed.
I honestly don't care what number they are. If my two most wanted are in, the jokes are worth it. I'd take "Borb of Destruction" over "Hat Goomba" (wrong thread, sorry), and well, they'd make those jokes with our HGH either way.

IDK about the no variance bit, but the dancing charge-ups make a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
In just over a month, we've gone from having just 18 pages to being just one page away from being the second biggest newcomer thread on SmashBoards outright. I can't help but be so impressed that it brings a genuine smile to my face. Now let's keep this positive atmosphere going!

zferolie

Smash Hero
In just over a month, we've gone from having just 18 pages to being just one page away from being the second biggest newcomer thread on SmashBoards outright. I can't help but be so impressed that it brings a genuine smile to my face. Now let's keep this positive atmosphere going!
Hang on, who are we about to pass? Ashley?

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I have complete faith that if Shantae is in Smash Ultimate, Sakurai and his team will find a way to make her moveset work out just right.

From what I've seen in this Smash iteration, Inklings, Ridley, Simon, K. Rool... The newcomers are being treated like royalty. It's like the best smash to become a newcomer. They're getting the works.

Their faithfulness to K. Rool alone made me legit cry as he was revealed.

I can only image what they would have in store for Shantae...

Last edited:

VizardJeffhog

Smash Cadet
NNID
VizardJeffhog

Yeah we're definitely getting a fighter reveal in the Direct. Now the question remains, who will it be...?

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I have complete faith that if Shantae is in Smash Ultimate, Sakurai and his team will find a way to make her moveset work out just right.

From what I've seen in this Smash iteration, Ridley, Simon, K. Rool... The newcomers are being treated like royalty. It's like the best smash to become a newcomer. They're getting the works.

Their faithfulness to K. Rool alone made me legit cry as he was revealed.

I can only image what they would have in store for Shantae...
It's also the hardest Smash to get into, where a whole bunch of deserving characters were made into mere ATs. High-risk, High Reward, I guess. It'll be glorious to see her be a fighter, but just as devastating to see her as an AT.

I think the K. Rool was the most intense reveal since Snake.
I have to disagree. For Ridley, Belmont and K. Rool, I knew who was getting revealed (Besides Richter) from the opening shot.

Edit: VizardJeffhog VizardJeffhog Either Skull Kid, Geno or a Pokemon. But then again, those are the only 3 I see getting in at all at this point.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Yeah we're definitely getting a fighter reveal in the Direct. Now the question remains, who will it be...?
From that I assume we will be getting at least 1 newcomer and 2 echos. I am still sticking with my gut of 2 newcomers and 2 echos.

EDIT: you have to remember, on 8/8, while we got a bunch of updates on there, they didn't show every fighter that day. K rool, Simon, and Richter got there videos shown off, but not Dark Samus. Could be the same here. May get 2 trailers, and a character, could be something else. who knows.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
i imagine that the transformations would've worked like mega man's down special in early SSF2

where you select a certain power and then your down special becomes that power

just make her do the belly dance with down b and just limit it to the harpy, elephant, monkey and spider

maybe only give them one or two attributes each, like the elephant charges and is really heavy, the harpy is an extra recovery option and has a talon attack, the spider could climb walls and shoot venom and the monkey is really small with a weak attack

and of course you cant be in the transformation forever and you'll need to wait to use that same one again

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
From that I assume we will be getting at least 1 newcomer and 2 echos. I am still sticking with my gut of 2 newcomers and 2 echos.

EDIT: you have to remember, on 8/8, while we got a bunch of updates on there, they didn't show every fighter that day. K rool, Simon, and Richter got there videos shown off, but not Dark Samus. Could be the same here. May get 2 trailers, and a character, could be something else. who knows.
Not trying to be pessimistic here, but let's just assume it's 1 fighter and that's it. It's likely just a trailer, video and memory.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Not trying to be pessimistic here, but let's just assume it's 1 fighter and that's it. It's likely just a trailer, video and memory.
Oh yeah thats probably the base line. I would be fine with that, but it hurts my theory of the 84 character size to fit the smash down mode, unless they throw the other 3 in later.

NukeA6

Smash Master
And yet I don't recall the Zelda/Sheik transformation ever being a problem.
Or the Pokemon Trainer switching, which has even been improved in Ultimate.
I also don't find the comparison with MvC and co to be fair, since those are very different games...

And why does my Wheel-suggestion make no sense?
It'd be exactly how it works in HGH, just faster.

And why are few attacks a problem to begin with?
I still think potency is more important than quantity.
As long as the few moves they have are very good for the role they serve, I don't think it's a big deal.

Also, why are you being so aggressive about this? o_O
Zelda/Sheik worked because it was just one transformation and Sheik was gonna be her own character any way. The Pokemon Trainer isn't even a good comparison because those are completely different characters plus, Squirtle and Charizard were highly requested. Charizard was even on his own before Sakurai decided to bring everyone back. Adding to that, Zero Suit Samus is different and likable enough to be her own character. Can you really say the same for Harpy Shantae or Monkey Shantae? The Tinkerbat is really the only exception but Risky would have to be the echo unless Sakurai is weird like that (I mean, it took three games for Wario to be playable and we had Dr. Mario before him).

But perhaps I might be looking at the Shantae's transformations wrong way. Humor me, show me what just the monkey or elephant would have and why it wouldn't be something like playing as a Fighting Wireframe or Fox's Landmaster.

As for me being aggressive, I'm just being realistic. After looking at the Smash Bros Crusade clip, I just realized the folly of Shantae being a transformation character.

D

Deleted member

It looks like 2 are missing where the nindies direct took place

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Remember the video will take up a post by itself and one of them might be a "memories" post.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Zelda/Sheik worked because it was just one transformation and Sheik was gonna be her own character any way. The Pokemon Trainer isn't even a good comparison because those are completely different characters plus, Squirtle and Charizard were highly requested. Charizard was even on his own before Sakurai decided to bring everyone back. Adding to that, Zero Suit Samus is different and likable enough to be her own character. Can you really say the same for Harpy Shantae or Monkey Shantae? The Tinkerbat is really the only exception but Risky would have to be the echo unless Sakurai is weird like that (I mean, it took three games for Wario to be playable and we had Dr. Mario before him).

But perhaps I might be looking at the Shantae's transformations wrong way. Humor me, show me what just the monkey or elephant would have and why it wouldn't be something like playing as a Fighting Wireframe or Fox's Landmaster.

As for me being aggressive, I'm just being realistic. After looking at the Smash Bros Crusade clip, I just realized the folly of Shantae being a transformation character.
That, and making her a character that relies on transformations will effectively force me to play as something other than Shantae's normal form for a non-insignificant period of time. Who wants that? Not me! Poofing is the optimal choice!

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
It looks like 2 are missing where the nindies direct took place
I don't think it could have been her... a newcomer gets a trailer, memory and video... it could have been meant for an echo or veteran... unless... she was supposed to be shown off that day, but they realized that they had put in one too few blog slots, so they just pushed back that last reveal to make it a fake-out for Shantae fans. More likely one of the former, IMO.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
heyy, just about 20 posts to catch up to Ashley.

by the way, in smash crusade, the transformations are quick, so you can easily switch between them as you need to, it's not that bad at all, and they all have a few attacks but not complete movesets. If you hold the button you can dance.
I think sakurai will be original. but just to say there's diff ways to do it.

D

Deleted member

I don't think it could have been her... a newcomer gets a trailer, memory and video... it could have been meant for an echo or veteran... unless... she was supposed to be shown off that day, but they realized that they had put in one too few blog slots, so they just pushed back that last reveal to make it a fake-out for Shantae fans. More likely one of the former, IMO.
Also from the living palm tree It ends with the question marks and shantae has lots of palm trees

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Also from the living palm tree It ends with the question marks and shantae has lots of palm trees
Even if she is/was gonna get revealed at this upcoming direct, I don't think that means anything. As I mentioned before, the last thing before :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool: were revealed was Crash Bomber. I don't think the palm tree part means anything. Even if it did, couldn't it be used to be symbolism towards the Alola region, thereby being able to hint at a Gen 7 Pokemon just as much as, if not more than, Shantae?

Edit: I kinda feel that this is even more farfetched than the chair theory, TBH. At least that one has the K. Rool evidence to back it up.
Double Edit: Not saying I think the chair theory is real. It could be, but it probably isn't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even if she is/was gonna get revealed at this upcoming direct, I don't think that means anything. As I mentioned before, the last thing before :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool: were revealed was Crash Bomber. I don't think the palm tree part means anything. Even if it did, couldn't it be used to be symbolism towards the Alola region, thereby being able to hint at a Gen 7 Pokemon just as much as, if not more than, Shantae?

Edit: I kinda feel that this is even more farfetched than the chair theory, TBH. At least that one has the K. Rool evidence to back it up.
Have you been listening to that fraud vergaben again?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

There isn't an inherent problem with transformations per se...

It's just that, historically, balancing them properly has been a nightmare. Almost always there's one mode you almost never want to use (Zelda, Ivysaur). And the more modes you add, the more specific their roles become and the greater the chances they'll seldom be used.

heyy, just about 20 posts to catch up to Ashley.

by the way, in smash crusade, the transformations are quick, so you can easily switch between them as you need to, it's not that bad at all, and they all have a few attacks but not complete movesets. If you hold the button you can dance.
I think sakurai will be original. but just to say there's diff ways to do it.
The speed of transformations isn't the issue. It's that the elephant is damn near useless and the monkey can't do much except evade. Only the harpy got any real use, for recovery and edgeguarding.

D

Deleted member

Yes and no. I do think what he says holds a lot of weight, but I expected a Gen 7 rep LONG before Vergeben said anything about it.
What have we said before......GAMEFAQS IS TRASH AND SHANTAE HATER PLACE USA geez man I don’t even think a new Pokémon will be there maybe an echo of it

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There isn't an inherent problem with transformations per se...

It's just that, historically, balancing them properly has been a nightmare. Almost always there's one mode you almost never want to use (Zelda, Ivysaur). And the more modes you add, the more specific their roles become and the greater the chances they'll seldom be used.

The speed of transformations isn't the issue. It's that the elephant is damn near useless and the monkey can't do much except evade. Only the harpy got any real use, for recovery and edgeguarding.
Depends on the situation. The monkey's dash dancing and attack (bullet dash) is actually good. The elephant has super armor it looks like. I mean the harpy seems to be the best in crusade but I think that's cuz they gave it too many jumps, they wouldn't go with that much in actual smash.

It's actually a bit similar to buffs from Shulk. If that's fine, I'm sure it can make them similar but a bit better, if there's fewer attacks on them.
There's different ways to implement it, like they could make the attacks really good but you can't stay long in transformation. They'll figure it out. Though I do think it's more likely that we get them on attacks (likes smashes) and that she'll be a mixed magic and gear fighter.

Anyway, just wanted to give a small chime in on that subject. have fun with the rest.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
What have we said before......GAMEFAQS IS TRASH AND SHANTAE HATER PLACE USA geez man I don’t even think a new Pokémon will be there maybe an echo of it
They're kind of really likely. Every single game has had at least 1 Pokemon Newcomer, and thanks to Simon, we know that not every newcomer is from the Ballot, so it's highly possible. And again, that's ignoring Vergeben.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They're kind of really likely. Every single game has had at least 1 Pokemon Newcomer, and thanks to Simon, we know that not every newcomer is from the Ballot, so it's highly possible.
Shantae’s still going to happen tho and to make ultimate more ultimate they need an indie rep

Last edited by a moderator:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Pokemon getting new reps always have merit, regardless of so called "leakers" and whatever comments they're making.

Frankly, I don't see Sakurai ignoring all the votes for Pokemon in the Ballot. One of them is going to get in this game, most likely from the ballot.

D

Deleted member

Pokemon getting new reps always have merit, regardless of so called "leakers" and whatever comments they're making.

Frankly, I don't see Sakurai ignoring all the votes for Pokemon in the Ballot. One of them is going to get in this game, most likely from the ballot.
But which one I don’t even know if there was a Pokémon in the ballot

Top Bottom