• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know if it's true that it's on the 13th. I saw several people confused by the announcement for 2017. The rumors might just be because of that.
I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I don't know if it's true that it's on the 13th. I saw several people confused by the announcement for 2017. The rumors might just be because of that.
It would actually make a lot of sense, considering it's exactly one week after the originally intended date, assuming it's at 3PST/6EST

Last edited:

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
The rumors are more tied to a few game companies saying things will happen on the 13th, and more concretely that being the new day that all of the Splatoon data that people used to predict the 6th has started pointing to.

Last edited:

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
And why do you automatically assume transformations would be unbalanced?!
I think anything can work, as long as a competent game designer is at the wheel
I imagine it would sudo-work like Pokémon Trainer's ability to swap pokemon. For Shantae, it would just take a little longer. If Sakurai decides to go that route, then we would have about 4-5 characters in 1..... That would be insane from a design perspective but also amazing from player perspective.

TLDR: I think it is not overpowered and would be awesome.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
The same sources that told Nintendo Life about the Direct on the 6th are now telling him the 13th, so I'd think that's pretty solid.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Who actually suggested Shantae's bellydancing-transformations should be transforming into the other characters?! o_O

Also why would the Transformations be a problem on the technical level?

And why do you automatically assume transformations would be unbalanced?!
I think anything can work, as long as a competent game designer is at the wheel.
Nobody suggested belly-dancing would be something like Shang Tsung. I only said that because that alone caused enough problems for Ditto to be scrapped, And transformations have always been a problem in fighting games because of being memory problems and/or just being too much work. It's also why we don't have Beast Boy in Injustice and Mystique in the Marvel vs. Capcom series.

The wheel you keep suggesting is exactly why your transformation suggestion makes no sense. Why use a character that excels at a better stat if they're gonna only use a few attacks and lack in other areas? Or are you suggesting that Shantae transforms into an animal with the same exact moves her base form uses? Might as well throw in Rottytops, Bolo, and Risky Boots as fully playable echo fighters than waste time making animal models that use all of Shantae's moves.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Shantae poofing into her transformations for specific maneuvers is the way I'd prefer it to work, such that she doesn't get spread too thin

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Nobody suggested belly-dancing would be something like Shang Tsung. I only said that because that alone caused enough problems for Ditto to be scrapped, And transformations have always been a problem in fighting games because of being memory problems and/or just being too much work. It's also why we don't have Beast Boy in Injustice and Mystique in the Marvel vs. Capcom series.

The wheel you keep suggesting is exactly why your transformation suggestion makes no sense. Why use a character that excels at a better stat if they're gonna only use a few attacks and lack in other areas? Or are you suggesting that Shantae transforms into an animal with the same exact moves her base form uses? Might as well throw in Rottytops, Bolo, and Risky Boots as fully playable echo fighters than waste time making animal models that use all of Shantae's moves.
I'd much rather see echoes than Shantae's transformations

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
No. I think Geno's chances are greatly over-exaggerated with people calling him a lock, I'd say it's more 50/50 and only because Sakurai himself has stated wanting to add him (but then that begs the question of why he wasn't already added). I don't think Banjo is getting in at all. Overall, I don't think we'll actually get more than 2 new third-party characters in the base game (discounting echoes), and Simon is already here.
Geno has a shot if Nintendo decides to buy the rights, which I can see being a real thing. Not like square is making any money off Geno anymore.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Transformation mechanics are not a problem. It's not like Sakurai doesn't have a source material to base them on. Shantae and her moves translate well into Smash. You just have to put a limit on them and she is mostly done.

So it's either entirely magic based, pirate gear based or a fusion of the two.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Don't forget Bayonetta who's adherence to canon ruins everyone else's fun.

The thing that bugs me about Smash Samus is how stiff her blaster is and how here uncharged shots don't do anything really.
Uncharged shots don't do anything at all to most bosses in 2D Metroid games.

It'd actually be much worse if charging worked like it did in those games. Only telegraphing your intentions and getting stopped cold by any reflector.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
I was hoping it would be earlier than Thursday because I finally had some time off and Thursday is the exact day I go back to work T_T

Oh well. I dream of Shantae showing up on the direct and that would make up for it 1,000,000%

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was hoping it would be earlier than Thursday because I finally had some time off and Thursday is the exact day I go back to work T_T

Oh well. I dream of Shantae showing up on the direct and that would make up for it 1,000,000%
Wouldn't get my hopes too high on that front, but we'll see what happens.

Might as well throw in Rottytops, Bolo, and Risky Boots as fully playable echo fighters than waste time making animal models that use all of Shantae's moves.
I know your comment is facetious and all, but you forgot about Sky.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't get my hopes too high on that front, but we'll see what happens.

Oh I'm not, it would be amazing though.

Still, I'm kinda holding on to my crackpot theory of Shantae being one of the next two fighters revealed, because of all the milestones Wayforward celebreated, it was 60k when they did nothing for 50k and such.The next 2 slots are in the 60's range. K. Rool is number 67. So we still have 68 and 69.
And they used the same artwork of Shantae as when they celebrated their fans when the ballot ended and haven't used it any other time.

This is completely unsubstantiated and I do not expect it to pan out at all and I'm not encouraging anyone else to do the same lest they face disappointment and blame me. :p

BUT!
If it happens, I totally called it xD

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know if I like thursday for it, but probably tomorow I'll feel differently. I'm not really feeling hype today. But maybe that's ok and I can let through my sadness, and tomorow is a new day. I'll check back once in a while but I don't feel like posting too much. ttyl when we know more.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I’m fully expecting to at least one of Shantae’s taunts to be a dance. However, I’d love for one of them to be Shantae doing the “Item Get” pose and show a random item from the series (like the Pac-Man taunt where he shows random Namco characters).

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
I'm secretly hoping for a blobfish transformation.
It would be a good taunt.

Speaking of which, what would three taunts you would want.
For me, it would be:
1) a taunt which she dances like she does in the GBC game and you can input your own dance moves just like in the game
2) A taunt where she puts her two fingers rogerther in embarrassment like in HGH
3) A taunt where she says that shes “Ret-2-go”

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Still, I'm kinda holding on to my crackpot theory of Shantae being one of the next two fighters revealed, because of all the milestones Wayforward celebreated, it was 60k when they did nothing for 50k and such.The next 2 slots are in the 60's range. K. Rool is number 67. So we still have 68 and 69.
Oh God, I hope she isn't #69. We'll never hear the end of it. xD

No. I think Geno's chances are greatly over-exaggerated with people calling him a lock, I'd say it's more 50/50 and only because Sakurai himself has stated wanting to add him (but then that begs the question of why he wasn't already added). I don't think Banjo is getting in at all. Overall, I don't think we'll actually get more than 2 new third-party characters in the base game (discounting echoes), and Simon is already here.
Brawl - Square and Nintendo were on shaky ground around Brawl. They refused him back then.
Smash 4 - Their relationship got better but Square didn't come on until the end of Smash 4's development cycle so not enough time.
Ultimate - Now their relationship is pretty strong (Octopath Traveller, Square creating a division just for Switch games) and they're on board from the beginning. There's no excuses anymore. And before you say it, FF having only two songs is an issue with the FF composer (who has a lot of power over the FF music and has to be paid a lot). It has nothing to do with Square themselves.

Incidentally, this shows why legal negotiations is an underrated point in Shantae's favor. Her negotiations would be effortless.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Brawl - Square and Nintendo were on shaky ground around Brawl. They refused him back then.
Smash 4 - Their relationship got better but Square didn't come on until the end of Smash 4's development cycle so not enough time.
Ultimate - Now their relationship is pretty strong (Octopath Traveller, Square creating a division just for Switch games) and they're on board from the beginning. There's no excuses anymore. And before you say it, FF having only two songs is an issue with the FF composer (who has a lot of power over the FF music and has to be paid a lot). It has nothing to do with Square themselves.

Incidentally, this shows why legal negotiations is an underrated point in Shantae's favor. Her negotiations would be effortless.
To be fair, her series is pretty much a wholesome innuendo magnet. :p It'd be like "go figure" compared to most everyone else.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

Heck,any fighter being #69 will never hear the end of it.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace

People keep on forgetting that. There are basically no legal problems in getting Shantae. WayForward would probably let them use her for free if she's a fighter whereas there's plenty of legal hurdles to go through for characters like Geno and Banjo. Shantae is probably the easiest non-first party character they could get.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

And yet I don't recall the Zelda/Sheik transformation ever being a problem.
Or the Pokemon Trainer switching, which has even been improved in Ultimate.
I also don't find the comparison with MvC and co to be fair, since those are very different games...

And why does my Wheel-suggestion make no sense?
It'd be exactly how it works in HGH, just faster.

And why are few attacks a problem to begin with?
I still think potency is more important than quantity.
As long as the few moves they have are very good for the role they serve, I don't think it's a big deal.

Also, why are you being so aggressive about this? o_O

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well based on how Sakurai states that he always respect the creators vision of a character than Shantae would fight just as how Mr and Mrs. Bozon feels how she would fight.

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
I hope they have enough foresight not to make a humanoid character #69. If I have to spend the next 5 years hearing 69 jokes whenever that character gets brought up online I swear to God...

WiredRM

Smash Cadet
The obvious solution is Bandanna Dee, he's just a circle.

There's clearly no other choice, for the sake of everyone else I guess he just has to be added
A circle with a rather phallic-shaped weapon. Even Bandanna Dee isn't safe!

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
A circle with a rather phallic-shaped weapon. Even Bandanna Dee isn't safe!
Why won't you just let me sneak him into Smash?
He deserves a prize! :crying:

In all seriousness though, my main hope for number 69 is "please no Shantae" like most of you, I think.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well based on how Sakurai states that he always respect the creators vision of a character than Shantae would fight just as how Mr and Mrs. Bozon feels how she would fight.
I agree.
The transformation-system wouldn't be that far fetched, given that Sakurai managed to bring other systems from outside games into smash before (Pokemon Switching, Pocketing, Weapon Durability, Ink Refill).
So I can really see it working, if handled correctly.

I simply suggested "Less but more specific moves" for the transformations, to avoid full movesets for transformations and thus making a Shantae moveset with transformations an unnecessary headache.

Of course, the simple solution is, again, reserving quick transformations for certain attacks.
I am fine with either option, like I said.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Why won't you just let me sneak him into Smash?
He deserves a prize! :crying:

In all seriousness though, my main hope for number 69 is "please no Shantae" like most of you, I think.
This is a problem I never had thought about.

Now I'm prepared to be annoyed.

Top Bottom