• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You are the shantae to my life, did you ncc us,
another smash star, ..you fade away, ..
afraid our aim is out of sight, wanna see her, smash live
Where are you now, where are you now?
Were you only imaginary?
Where are you now, scuttle town?
Under ncc, under ncc..

Another dream... that Rottytops running wild inside of meme.
I'm faded, so lost, faded from sight.
These shallow waters never met what I needed
I'm letting go, a deeper direct date,
Eternal silence of the ncc, am I breathing?
Where are you now, Shantae?

:D

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
You are the shantae to my life, did you ncc us,
another smash star, ..you fade away, ..
afraid our aim is out of sight, wanna see her, smash live
Where are you now, where are you now?
Were you only imaginary?
Where are you now, scuttle town?
Under ncc, under ncc..

Another dream... that Rottytops running wild inside of meme.
I'm faded, so lost, faded from sight.
These shallow waters never met what I needed
I'm letting go, a deeper direct date,
Eternal silence of the ncc, am I breathing?
Where are you now, Shantae?

:D
Rottytops isn't a monster! Why'd you put her there, huh? I swear this one is my last post.

Last edited:

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I found the series through being repeatedly recommended the first 3 games on the 3DS e-shop and eventually deciding to look into what kind of games they were. After reading they're Metroidvanias I was immediately sold and bought all 3 for the 3DS; which is funny because to be honest now I would disagree with them being called Metroidvanias, I'd say the first 3 games are more like side-scrolling Zelda games in structure.

Regardless I've now played through all 4 games and thoroughly enjoyed them all.
YES someone actually agrees with me! Shantae (except HGH) is LITERALLY side-scrolling Zelda and I absolutely love it for that.

I'm not gonna tell my whole story of discovering Shantae again, but another part of what made me fall in love with Shantae GBC was how you used her dances like a Zelda instrument (even if most call that a flaw, understandably)

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Actually Nicalis said that they would love to have Shantae In Blade Strangers.

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/875830356393418752

While Shovel Knights company is more loose with shovel knight and shovel knight is slightly more popular, She wasn't even in Indie Pogo despite having characters who haven't even appeared in games yet. Leaving me to believe that WF is the reason Shantae isn't in these games. And why would they oppose to having Shantae in these games? Especially since they've been willing to share their IP's before in the past.
Oh wow, this makes this a stronger point than I thought then.

It looks good for Shantae that the Blade Strangers devs were open to including her and we already know that the Indie Pogo devs weren't just open to her being in but made a formal request (they even mentioned that they were waiting before they asked because Shantae was that big of a deal to them and they wanted to make a stronger case for their request).

Now if only we could see if the Rivals of Aether devs were interested in her being in, you could turn this into a fair point. It would still leave open other possibilities but it would erase some of the other detracting points such as that neither dev approached each other or were willing to put her in.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I got the original Shantae for GBA and loved the series since. Especially with how the whole thing went down.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I discovered Risky's Revenge around the time it was announced for the eshop. They were pushing it pretty hard as I recall. After checking the preview trailer out I bought it and loved it.

Later on a friend of mine alerted me to the HGH Kickstarter and I got on board with that. Been hooked ever since.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I discovered Risky's Revenge around the time it was announced for the eshop. They were pushing it pretty hard as I recall. After checking the preview trailer out I bought it and loved it.

Later on a friend of mine alerted me to the HGH Kickstarter and I got on board with that. Been hooked ever since.
That's pretty much my story. I remember reading a bit about it when the GBC game was originally coming out, but i didn;t pay it much mind, but when it released on the Virtual console and i saw how smooth those sprite animations were (as in how many frames they had, not an innuendo) and I thought "The Gameboy could do this?!"

I bought it immediately and was hooked. The first was was a little rocky, but there were some things it did that i kind of miss. Like I get that the HGH way of transforming was quicker, but it just felt like transforming meant a little more in the first game wen you had to do the proper dance.

I wish they would bring that back but just make it an option so the people who complain about it breaking the pace don't have to worry about it.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Please just report the double posts. Let the mods take care of it.

I get it's annoying, though. But yeah, you don't need to take it upon yourself.

Note that we don't mind if a regular user shows a quick reminder of the rules. But don't force it on other users. We aren't a fan of actual backseat moderation. It makes it far harder for us to clean up messes that happen, since we have to deal with extra drama. That said, again, please give a report to those posts and don't worry about it in general otherwise. We're more than capable of handling the situation ourselves. We just ask for any details/links necessary to make it easier. :)
Woah is that Brian? I haven't seen quest 64 in years.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Brian is lame all he does is throw rocks.
Let's note this isn't the Brian thread, so I don't want this to get off-topic.

And those Rocks hurt like hell, so... what's your point? XD Though it is his most powerful element, so... what's the problem? :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay, but seriously. Please go to either of the Quest 64-related topics in my sig if you want to discuss it or even make jokes. Even the Nintenzone Social is more appropriate for it. As a mod, I gotta keep things on topic, despite the fact that I clearly would love to talk about it, it's the wrong place to do so. Sorry to have to put my staff down, but... yeah.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Aside from my desire for Shantae to be revealed during the Direct, I hope they delve more into the alleged "Spirits" mode a bit.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Aside from my desire for Shantae to be revealed during the Direct, I hope they delve more into the alleged "Spirits" mode a bit.
I doubt that will happen. It isn;t a Smash Direct but a general Nintendo Direct. I think the only Smash news we will get is the "Oh, and one more thing..." into a character reveal and then maybe a mention on the recently announced bundles for the game.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I doubt that will happen. It isn;t a Smash Direct but a general Nintendo Direct. I think the only Smash news we will get is the "Oh, and one more thing..." into a character reveal and then maybe a mention on the recently announced bundles for the game.
Yeah, probably. Hopefully there's a pure Smash Direct at some point.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
There definitely will be. They said they want to reveal the entire roster before the game releases. If they want to keep hype steady i'm sure they will keep feeding us info like that through the next three months.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Really, this is going to focus on the online mode if anything. I predict a single character reveal (no echoes either) trailer, and a few points about smash online. Maybe differences between free and paid if any.

This will be the FOR GLORY announcement essentially. Maybe they'll announce "peaceful mode" so that for fun can have a bit more of a divide.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We now have more replies than the Geno thread.

How did that happen?

Klimax

Smash Ace
We now have more replies than the Geno thread.

How did that happen?
Congratulations, may this brings luck to Shantae !
By the way, I didn't know but I saw that at the end of 2015, Sakurai himself visited WayForward studios. You probably already know that but I didn't know about him. In my opinion, that's a huge boost for Shantae's chances.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations, may this brings luck to Shantae !
By the way, I didn't know but I saw that at the end of 2015, Sakurai himself visited WayForward studios. You probably already know that but I didn't know about him. In my opinion, that's a huge boost for Shantae's chances.
Are you referring to that image of James Montagna with Sakurai? Because he apparently said that it was not at WF studios; somewhere involving E3 or something. Could be wrong, but I recall him tweeting something like that.

Also, people are claiming that Sakurai has played a Shantae game. So hopefully he enjoyed whichever one it was enough to add her to the roster.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
So do you guys think Shantae, Geno, and Banjo-Kazooie will be the last added 3rd parties?

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
So do you guys think Shantae, Geno, and Banjo-Kazooie will be the last added 3rd parties?
Geno's a shoe in, Shantae's probably gonna be an Assist Trophy, sadly (I just have a feeling), and IDK what's gonna happen with Banjo.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That's the dream inn'it? Not likely but hey, it's still technically possible.

(I assume you mean last in the base game)

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
That's the dream inn'it? Not likely but hey, it's still technically possible.

(I assume you mean last in the base game)
I think that's why they'll be added. Those are the 3 highest requested 3rd parties right now. So far, they've been adding a lot of dream characters. I think they could make it.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
They're the three most requested third parties and each have amazing moveset potential as well as expressiveness.

Geno is a lock at this point, and Shantae does have the best chance out of any indie character. BK I'm not as sure about, but I think they'd be DLC if they're in the game at all.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
They're the three most requested third parties and each have amazing moveset potential as well as expressiveness.

Geno is a lock at this point, and Shantae does have the best chance out of any indie character. BK I'm not as sure about, but I think they'd be DLC if they're in the game at all.
At first I was doubtful about the "not til DLC" part, but then I remembered this. Would this break an NDA? https://mynintendonews.com/2018/03/...nd-kazooie-appear-in-super-smash-bros-switch/

Last edited:

Swade

Smash Apprentice
So how was everyone here first introduced to Shantae?

I remember hearing about Risky's Revenge around 2009/2010 in Nintendo Power and instantly got hooked to the series.
I can sort of remember. Earliest must of been seeing some small fan-art of her on the internet. Then a copy of Risky's Revenge was free for a while on the ipod store, so I downloaded it and...Well bought a 3ds copy of the game and stuck around as a fand after that.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Morning y’all any strong points of evidence for shantaes case?
Nothing new, but the closest thing I have is this, which people sort of glossed over when I posted it, so I'm curious what people think about it:

One thing I’ve noticed with Shantae’s VA is that she has been in quite a few Nintendo-related roles since the Ballot ended, including Pokémon Genrations, FE Heroes, Echoes, Three Houses, Sushi Striker and Warioware Gold.

The two that stand out most to me are Three Houses and Warioware.

In FETH, she’s gotten the role of Edelgard, which, from the looks of it, is a major role, comparable to that of Xander and Ryoma.
In Warioware gold, she voices 5-Volt and 13-Amp, who, interestingly enough, are the only two female characters who fit into the 9-Volt sub-plot, which is based around Nintendo Crossovers.

So one thing I’m wondering is wether or not Nintendo got Cristina to voice act for Smash, and decided to use her for other characters since they had her closeby (that and the Warioware part looks pretty fishy).

zferolie

Smash Hero
At first I was doubtful about the "not til DLC" part, but then I remembered this. Would this break an NDA? https://mynintendonews.com/2018/03/...nd-kazooie-appear-in-super-smash-bros-switch/
Yeah that could be breaking NDA if they signed one, but bigger companies tend to be more vague or give out false answers to question. I remeber a few times a company says they don't are aren't working on a new game, and then a month later or so they announce a new game

EDIT: Since double posts are bannabled, need to edit to post this.

Nintendo Life is usally pretty good at getting these dates correct,

Last edited:
Top Bottom