• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well it seems like multiple people are saying the 13th is the set day.

So get hyped guys. just 2 days to go till we finally get some news!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Delayed for a week it seems.

Well now I know what timeframe we're workign with I can relax, and play more Shantae 0.5 Genie Hero

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Us during the direct : Shantae please Shantae please Shantae please Shantae please Shantae please Shantae please Shantae please Shantae please

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well Nintendo themselves should officially announce the new date tomorrow then.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
HGH update: Stupid disappearing blocks.

Dr. Wily doesn't know what he truely unleashed upon the world. :ultfalco:I guess I should be thankful that these ones have a visual cue for when they disappear.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that could be breaking NDA if they signed one, but bigger companies tend to be more vague or give out false answers to question. I remeber a few times a company says they don't are aren't working on a new game, and then a month later or so they announce a new game

EDIT: Since double posts are bannabled, need to edit to post this.

Nintendo Life is usally pretty good at getting these dates correct,
NDAs are not as broad as people think. They are just an agreement that you won't share specific info (think of Lawyers, Doctors, and Therapists. Those are common examples.) Asking about the past, answering hypothetical questions don't necessarily break NDA.

Last edited:

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Man I really wish it wasn't on Thursday. Last Thursday was fine because I was off, but I work literally all day this Thursday.

Gonna have to try and watch it spoiler free.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Man I really wish it wasn't on Thursday. Last Thursday was fine because I was off, but I work literally all day this Thursday.
Gonna have to try and watch it spoiler free.
Same, but I'm just going to watch the stream on my phone while I work. Hopefully not to many people come in after 6 to bother me.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Kinda bringing back the Moveset-Discussion here...

I don't understand why people keep saying that only "Pirate's Gear" works for a Shantae moveset...
It'd be the easiest and simplest of her movesets to translate into Smash, I give it that.
And I'd be fine if that were her moveset.

But I feel like the "Magic, Bellydancing-Transformation" side of hers, is her true fighting style.
While "Pirate's Gear" was literally just a one-off and a temporary replacement, until she had her magic back.

So I personally feel like using her magic- and transformation-abilities, would represent her much better.
Given that this is how she fought in all other games.

I also don't get what's so wrong about making her have transformations and giving her transformations less moves than her normal form.

Of course, if all of her transformations had full movesets, on top of normal Shantae, that'd be amazing.
But I realize that this'd mean making five characters worth of movesets for a single character.
So giving her transformations less moves and having them specialize at certain roles, would alleviate that issue.

A character isn't weaker, just because they have less moves.
It's the potency of the moves that counts. Not the quantity.

And if all else fails, simply take the Inkling Route. In which Shantae quickly transforms for a single attack and then reverts right back.
Also something I don't see any problems with...

Again, I can easily live with "Pirate's Gear" being her Smash Moveset.
I just feel having her use magic and transformations, would suit her better.
Considering, again, Pirate's Gear was only used in one game and only because she didn't have her magic then.
While her magic-movesets was in all other games and thus is her true fighting style.

But again, just me...

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Same, but I'm just going to watch the stream on my phone while I work. Hopefully not to many people come in after 6 to bother me.
I wish I could do this but my job is too fast paced and requires being kinda constantly vigilant.

Moveset talk
I think the only way her transformations could work if if she transforms into one for one quick attack and then reverts. Anything else I think would be too unbalanced and kinda broken. The issue with her doing this though is that her hitbox is gonna be all over the place because her forms all have different sizes, so...I really don't know how they've designed her moveset.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah, I'm gonna be in an anime club meeting at the university I go to, so I'll be busy with that during that time. I'm probably just gonna let the video play on my phone, and then after it ends at around 6:30, I'll just replay it and actually watch it, just do I don't get spoiled by any YouTube video titles and thumbnails

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The main question with Shantae moveset-wise is should she have completely separate forms or turn into them on the fly.

The former is more loyal to gameplay but the latter would make for a more streamlined moveset.

Then again, Smash has gone against canon to give crap movesets before lookinginyourdirectionSamus!

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
The main question with Shantae moveset-wise is should she have completely separate forms or turn into them on the fly.

The former is more loyal to gameplay but the latter would make for a more streamlined moveset.

Then again, Smash has gone against canon to give crap movesets before lookinginyourdirectionSamus!
Both would work in my book.

For Shantae I can imagine a Monado Art Wheel, but instead of just altering stats, she transforms into different forms.
All the alternate forms would have less moves and specialize in different areas.
(Because I know making full movesets for normal Shantae and her four other forms would be too much)

Of course, if that doesn't work, the second option is always a good alternative. ;)

NukeA6

Smash Master

I don't understand why people keep saying that only "Pirate's Gear" works for a Shantae moveset...
It'd be the easiest and simplest of her movesets to translate into Smash, I give it that.

But I feel like the "Magic, Bellydancing-Transformation" side of hers, is her true fighting style.
While "Pirate's Gear" was literally just a one-off and a temporary replacement, until she had her magic back.

So I personally feel like using her magic- and transformation-abilities, would represent her much better.
Given that this is how she fought in all other games.

I also don't get what's so wrong about making her have transformations and giving her transformations less moves than her normal form.

Of course, if all of her transformations had full movesets, on top of normal Shantae, that'd be amazing.
But I realize that this'd mean making five characters worth of movesets for a single character.
So giving her transformations less moves and having them specialize at certain roles, would alleviate that issue.

A character isn't weaker, just because they have less moves.
It's the potency of the moves that counts. Not the quantity.

And if all else fails, simply take the Inkling Route. In which Shantae quickly transforms for a single attack and then reverts right back.
Also something I don't see any problems with...

Again, I can easily live with "Pirate's Gear" being her Smash Moveset.
I just feel having her use magic and transformations, would suit her better.
Considering, again, Pirate's Gear was only used in one game and only because she didn't have her magic then.
While her magic-movesets was in all other games and thus is her true fighting style.

But again, just me...
It doesn't have to be purely pirate as she can always have magic mixed in. The only reason why I and maybe a few others mention it is because the belly-dancing transformations would be a problem on a technical level, even if it were transforming into other characters already part of the roster (which was why Ditto was scrapped in Melee). Then there's balancing and all that. But in the end, it's mainly up to Sakurai who is one of the main creative geniuses in Nintendo (as he proves with the Kirby games). Perhaps he thought of a use for the transformations that none of us thought of.

Last edited:

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Us during the direct : Shantae please Shantae please Shantae please Shantae please Shantae please Shantae please Shantae please Shantae please
While I'm always in the back of my mind hoping for the Shantae reveal, usually I just enjoy the direct.
There's always some random things I like in the games shown, and since there isn't really a character I actively don't want, any Smash announcement would make me at least reasonably happy, the only ones that would momentarily bum me out would be Shantae or Isabelle as assist trophies, but I'd get over that eventually, and be glad Shantae's in the game at all.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

If she just used her pirate gear, it might as well be Risky who's the fighter. Not saying Shantae can't use it, but it should only be a few attacks, just as a little "oh she can do this too", rather than "here's all she can do". It's very weird though, because her most famous appearance is the one where she can't use her normal moveset.

Edit: For the straw poll, are we assuming she transforms like in Crusade or like Corrin/Inkling (or is that the point of the poll)?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
We need a poll on this. Pirate's Canon or insta-Harpy transformation for Shantae's Up-B recovery? Seem's we're rather conflicted.

stupid strawpoll: https://strawpoll.com/4yggk7fa
I said pirates canon, because I think that would be a pretty cool Up B, Basically it would be like old Pits up b mixed with Robin's Up B. Multiple jumps that she can use up to 4 times.

Plus, I like the idea of Transformations just being tied to her down b, that give her different mobility and 2 unique attack options. Down b so it doesn't but with Kirby's copy.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
While I'm always in the back of my mind hoping for the Shantae reveal, usually I just enjoy the direct.
There's always some random things I like in the games shown, and since there isn't really a character I actively don't want, any Smash announcement would make me at least reasonably happy, the only ones that would momentarily bum me out would be Shantae or Isabelle as assist trophies, but I'd get over that eventually, and be glad Shantae's in the game at all.
If Shantae were an assist trophy, I'd be upset, but it'd be understandable. I'd get over it pretty quickly. However, Isabelle on the other hand will be the deciding factor for how much I enjoy this game. Daisy and Lucina aren't gonna be enough to make me enjoy this game for years to come. However, Isabelle is. But I'll leave it at that, since this isn't a topic for Isabelle :)

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
For whatever reason I really want the pirate cannon in her moveset but it could be up B, down B, or even down air as far as I'm concerned

I was thinking that the pirate gear would be incorporated into her normals and then the magic and transformations would be specials, but then I also like the idea of having her transform into an elephant for her Side Smash, actually I think it would even be kind of cool if her upsmash was transforming into the tree. Well I'll be satisfied with any playable version of Shantae but that's the stuff that stood out in my mind.

NukeA6

Smash Master
We need a poll on this. Pirate's Canon or insta-Harpy transformation for Shantae's Up-B recovery? Seem's we're rather conflicted.

My suggestion would have been combining both the Cannon and Hat to one. Yeah, it's a bit of a ripoff of Peach's Up B but Game & Watch is guilty of doing the same.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Was kinda hoping the Direct would be tomorrow... looks like that's not happening now and it's going to be on the day that doesn't really seem to work for me at all.

zferolie

Smash Hero
My suggestion would have been combining both the Cannon and Hat to one. Yeah, it's a bit of a ripoff of Peach's Up B but Game & Watch is guilty of doing the same.
I always liked the idea that her Nair or Uair is the hat, She pulls it out to attack, and then if you hold the A button you can float for a bit

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of Isabelle, in terms of oddly absent assists, I'm still holding out hope for Gardevoir. I lost Krystal already so my hopes for characters I supported personally lie with Gardevoir, Dixie Kong and the Half-Genie Hero herself.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

I dunno if it’s too late to add this option, but I’d kinda like to see the Storm Puff being adapted into her Up B, like it rises up with Shantae holding it and knocks her off if she doesn’t get off before it shoots electricity

I said pirates canon, because I think that would be a pretty cool Up B, Basically it would be like old Pits up b mixed with Robin's Up B. Multiple jumps that she can use up to 4 times.

Plus, I like the idea of Transformations just being tied to her down b, that give her different mobility and 2 unique attack options. Down b so it doesn't but with Kirby's copy.
Even if there wasn’t a transformation mapped to the down button in that, I still feel like a directionally controlled user interface like in HGH would be awkward to navigate if it was activated with anything except just neutral B. As for Kirby, I suggest either he copies just the monkey hat/monkey dash attack or give him access to the same UI except he gets hats of the animals and whatever attacks are mapped to B in Shantae’s version of those forms

zferolie

Smash Hero
Speaking of Isabelle, in terms of oddly absent assists, I'm still holding out hope for Gardevoir. I lost Krystal already so my hopes for characters I supported personally lie with Gardevoir, Dixie Kong and the Half-Genie Hero herself.
I'm still sad about Krystal and Ashley. I thought they would be 2 cool unique fighters. I guess theres always DLC(if Sakurai decides to turn AT into fighters via DLC)

If Sakurai doesn't give us a 7th gen at the start, like if it was really too early for Inceniroar and saves it for DLC, I think Gardevoir is our best bet for a new rep. Super popular pokemon, Gen 3, and could be a good fighter as we have seen in Pokken.

EDIT:
I dunno if it’s too late to add this option, but I’d kinda like to see the Storm Puff being adapted into her Up B, like it rises up with Shantae holding it and knocks her off if she doesn’t get off before it shoots electricity

Even if there wasn’t a transformation mapped to the down button in that, I still feel like a directionally controlled user interface like in HGH would be awkward to navigate if it was activated with anything except just neutral B. As for Kirby, I suggest either he copies just the monkey hat/monkey dash attack or give him access to the same UI except he gets hats of the animals and whatever attacks are mapped to B in Shantae’s version of those forms
I could see it maybe working like Kirby with Olimar Copy. He just plucks and throws a pikmin instantly. I could see him just having the Monkey dash only.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Melee Samus is good.

Sometimes you just have to accept canon does not necessarily make for good, balanced movesets in a fighting game. The only thing that bugs me about Samus now is the lack of ice.

Brawl Pokemon Trainer and from what I've seen, Crusade Shantae are prime examples of the damage overly strict adherence can cause.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Melee Samus is good.

Sometimes you just have to accept canon does not necessarily make for good, balanced movesets in a fighting game. The only thing that bugs me about Samus now is the lack of ice.

Brawl Pokemon Trainer and from what I've seen, Crusade Shantae are prime examples of the damage overly strict adherence can cause.
Don't forget Bayonetta who's adherence to canon ruins everyone else's fun.

The thing that bugs me about Smash Samus is how stiff her blaster is and how here uncharged shots don't do anything really.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Melee Samus is good.

Don't forget Pichu, who damages himself just because of Pokedex entries.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
So do you guys think Shantae, Geno, and Banjo-Kazooie will be the last added 3rd parties?
No. I think Geno's chances are greatly over-exaggerated with people calling him a lock, I'd say it's more 50/50 and only because Sakurai himself has stated wanting to add him (but then that begs the question of why he wasn't already added). I don't think Banjo is getting in at all. Overall, I don't think we'll actually get more than 2 new third-party characters in the base game (discounting echoes), and Simon is already here.

zferolie

Smash Hero
No. I think Geno's chances are greatly over-exaggerated with people calling him a lock, I'd say it's more 50/50 and only because Sakurai himself has stated wanting to add him (but then that begs the question of why he wasn't already added). I don't think Banjo is getting in at all. Overall, I don't think we'll actually get more than 2 new third-party characters in the base game (discounting echoes), and Simon is already here.
If SE doesn't want Geno in he's not getting in. But I see SE getting another rep though. If its not Geno, its going to be a Dragon Quest character.

But who would it be? Hero(DQ1 hero base design and each alt being the hero from a different game, including 8 and 11) Slime(could use all the different type of slime attacks, like bubble slime ooze out as a down smash, Air attacks invoving tentacles from heal slime, his Fizz attacks, and such) or someone else thats a popular dragon quest character. Jessica? Nera? BIanka? Alena?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
It doesn't have to be purely pirate as she can always have magic mixed in. The only reason why I and maybe a few others mention it is because the belly-dancing transformations would be a problem on a technical level, even if it were transforming into other characters already part of the roster (which was why Ditto was scrapped in Melee). Then there's balancing and all that. But in the end, it's mainly up to Sakurai who is one of the main creative geniuses in Nintendo (as he proves with the Kirby games). Perhaps he thought of a use for the transformations that none of us thought of.
Who actually suggested Shantae's bellydancing-transformations should be transforming into the other characters?! o_O

Also why would the Transformations be a problem on the technical level?

And why do you automatically assume transformations would be unbalanced?!
I think anything can work, as long as a competent game designer is at the wheel.

If she just used her pirate gear, it might as well be Risky who's the fighter. Not saying Shantae can't use it, but it should only be a few attacks, just as a little "oh she can do this too", rather than "here's all she can do". It's very weird though, because her most famous appearance is the one where she can't use her normal moveset.
Yup, exactly...

Top Bottom