• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If there really is a boss rush type of mode, then I wouldn't be surprised to find a few more bosses like that. I guess it depends how much time they have for that, but it's not a bad idea, especially if there's an adventure mode.

D

Deleted member

I haven't fully caught up with this thread yet, but I'll respond to this right quick.

I'm calling it BS. Not only because it's 4chan, but because "Rubber Man" is the wrong name. It's "Bounce Man". One goof-up mistake like that will expose any leak, usually.
Bounce Man's name in Japan is Rubber man.

D

Deleted member

If there really is a boss rush type of mode, then I wouldn't be surprised to find a few more bosses like that. I guess it depends how much time they have for that, but it's not a bad idea, especially if there's an adventure mode.

Hey teeb is there any stuff that makes shantae a fighter I’m starting to lose hope a little:(

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
The Pokemon Trainer works because not only is Pokemon wildly popular, Squirtle and Charizard have been a highly demanded characters for years, so why not make them part of the Pokemon Trainer's team like in the games. I'm sure nobody likes Shantae mainly because of a sole transformation.
I don’t know why you’re bringing popularity into this when I was trying to argue from a game mechanic standpoint.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I don’t know why you’re bringing popularity into this when I was trying to argue from a game mechanic standpoint.
Because it's obvious the Pokemon Trainer was made to house two popular Pokemon characters in a creative way while also being true to what trainers do in the games. They could have easily been their own but Sakurai decided to be more creative. It's not the same with Shantae because while her transformation have their uses (flying, climbing, breaking down barriers, etc.), none are any you'd want to use when you don't need them. The only exception is the Tinkebat since it might as well not be Shantae at all given how self-reliant it is. Not sure of the SOPHIA tank.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey teeb is there any stuff that makes shantae a fighter I’m starting to lose hope a little:(
Yes. It's the same stuff that's been talked about, and there's nothing guaranteed, but WayForward's behaviour definitely hints at that she's in the game. The things that point to that she's a playable fighter is that even if they've gotten bigger as a company, they'd still want exposure for Shantae, yet she hasn't been in any of the fighting-type games like Shovel Knight has. And there's agreements (NCC) that might make sense of why they wouldn't put her in(the indie fighting games), and those wouldn't be in place if she was just an assist trophy, so I think even if it's not full-proof, it's good stuff to think she's playable.

I'll say though, that for me I still think it's 50/50. There's a chance she is, and that's what keeps me looking forward to it.
If she isn't, I'll be disappointed but I'll still enjoy smash.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Bounce Man's name in Japan is Rubber man.
(I'm not gonna read the leak, so please keep that in mind) If the leak was from America, then why did they use the Japanese name? Also, was the leak made before the info was released and did it get all the robot masters' names right?

Kalomaze

Smash Cadet
NNID
sonicmarioguy
Yes. It's the same stuff that's been talked about, and there's nothing guaranteed, but WayForward's behaviour definitely hints at that she's in the game. The things that point to that she's a playable fighter is that even if they've gotten bigger as a company, they'd still want exposure for Shantae, yet she hasn't been in any of the fighting-type games like Shovel Knight has. And there's agreements (NCC) that might make sense of why they wouldn't put her in, and those wouldn't be in place if she was just an assist trophy, so I think even if it's not full-proof, it's good stuff to think it's possible she's playable.

I'll say though, that for me I still think it's 50/50. There's a chance she is, and that's what keeps me looking forward to it.
I honestly don't see how an agreement would come to fruition for shantae but eh. Gives hope at least. I think it's less of hinting and just shutting up about it for whatever reasons, like them being an AT/fighter all along, or just plain not in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes. It's the same stuff that's been talked about, and there's nothing guaranteed, but WayForward's behaviour definitely hints at that she's in the game. The things that point to that she's a playable fighter is that even if they've gotten bigger as a company, they'd still want exposure for Shantae, yet she hasn't been in any of the fighting-type games like Shovel Knight has. And there's agreements (NCC) that might make sense of why they wouldn't put her in, and those wouldn't be in place if she was just an assist trophy, so I think even if it's not full-proof, it's good stuff to think she's playable.

1.what about daisy hip bumping in the artwork
2.that interview from 2016
3.matt’cristina’and’jake under a possible nda/ncc
4.do you own a 3ds/wii u?

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I feel like transformations would be the specials, but not like "Transformation forms", more like having specific moves tied to them. Like her Side+B could be either the elephant or monkey form dashing to the side. Considering each form has only one or two moves, I feel like being relegated to smash attacks and specials would be best for her transformations.

Also I responded to this thread but another page happened and I didn't notice. You keep zooming along, Shantae thread! You're the best!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
1.what about daisy hip bumping in the artwork
2.that interview from 2016
3.matt’cristina’and’jake under a possible nda/ncc
4.do you own a 3ds/wii u?
1. I find that a bit funny, I like Daisy and Shantae so it'd be cool to see them bumping XD But I don't make much of it because it's very vague of an idea.
2. Like was talked a little bit about, the interview was actually not too bad. I think it was done before Nintendo let them know they wanted Shantae in, and they wouldn't have to do it early if they hadn't started working on her, and WF would agree in any case. And if they did know at the time, they didn't make any claims that said she wasn't in (or was).
3. It's a good thing if they're under an nda, it means shantae would be in the game somehow. They've been quiet about shantae for smash for a while now, so it's likely. The ncc would make sense if she's playable, it's just harder to look into it because there's little to look at besides what she's not in :p
4. I can't do much on the 3ds side of things right now, unfortunately.

I actually don't know too much about cristina, I haven't looked into it too much, though I am curious if there's more to it there.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I just assumed that they would recycle her voice clips that already exist for Shantae.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
This whole image pretty much sums up why we're all assuming she's going to be in:
one thing that I sort of pieced together that I'm curious what others think about is the books on the shelf. There wasn't one or two things that tied the room together for KKR. The books that had the spines facing out seemed to showcase the colors that a team would use to color him (red, green, brown, and one other). In this one the colors that face out are red, purple, yellow, and a light blue (which could represent Shantae), but the orange makes me a little curious (it could also be brown which would ease my mind). I feel like that's one thing that people didn't really point out.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I just assumed that they would recycle her voice clips that already exist for Shantae.
Smash recycles its own clips, but it has never recycled clips from other games.

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
I feel like yesterday we were talking about how we were about to catch the Geno thread and now we're over 40 pages past it. This thread is a Force

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I honestly don't see how an agreement would come to fruition for shantae but eh. Gives hope at least. I think it's less of hinting and just shutting up about it for whatever reasons, like them being an AT/fighter all along, or just plain not in.
I guess I might as well answer this. WayForward has more tact and sensibility than that for some weird reason just not saying anything at all in regards to smash. They wouldn't be silent like they have been if she wasn't in. At this point I'm willing to say that she's in it in some form (could be AT or playable)

We talked about this, but I don't expect everyone to go through all those pages now lol.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Unrelated to Shantae, but how would you all react if Bubsy got into Smash as a playable character?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well Officer mode in Half-Genie Hero convinced me to buy Mighty Switch Force. And I can confirm Shantae is still on the cover page of indies, at least on the 3DS eshop.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
I think it's because it's quite straw graspy imo. "Team colors"..I mean this feels more coincidental than the chairs thing
that's fair. If they are as meticulous as people think, though... The colors on the books fit both Rayman and Shantae. More the former unfortunately. If people wanted to examine the features of the room, they'd have to examine all of it, but everyone stopped at the chairs, plant, and sofa.The only thing other than having fun examining the room is speculating on different random occurances on social media and whenever Nintendo coughs. lol

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's funny but at the same time pixel height is probably the most accurate he could be. They design her to be in 2d games, so :p

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I know he was playing around but..

"Super Mario is a towering 32 pixels high "

so... maybe mario's height?
Bear in mind this is with very little research, unlike gametheory :p & I think he was taller in future games, but still.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
But how would we know? For all we know he could be any one of us... or none of us.

We have fun here, I love it.
"He could be in this very thread. He could be you... He could be me! He could even be..."

I had to.

Top Bottom