• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I'm super tired but I have to push out my video before that direct shows up. Allow me to vent some of my frustrations here.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh....

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I'm super tired but I have to push out my video before that direct shows up. Allow me to vent some of my frustrations here.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh....
So long as you don't double up then you are fine. Can't wait to see the video.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If we dont get direct reveal date by tonight I'll be surprised cause that means it likely wont be here till Wednesday.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
If we dont get direct reveal date by tonight I'll be surprised cause that means it likely wont be here till Wednesday.
They normally announces the Direct 24 hours prior to the event so yeah tomorrow it is then.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Just remember, WF liking tweets does not in any way break an NDA unless the tweet explicitly said that Shantae was in Smash.

I agree that people need to stop harassing them about it. They will tell us the result when they can.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Personally, their behavior still seems at odds with their behavior around the time of Smash 4. I think there's a very high probability of her appearing in Ultimate as either a fighter or an assist trophy.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
What do you guys think Shantae's series logo would be?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's kinda hard to think of anything else given she doesn't have a definite logo (kinda like cloud: his logos just FF).
On the other hand, what seems like the definite logo can be passed over for something different (as in the case of a regular gear being Mega Man's logo instead of his helmet).

A lamp is certainly what they would go with, that much is clear.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
A lot of people in this thread seem to be convinced Shantae will get in this time. I haven't been on smashboards in months so would anyone be willing to give a quick rundown and what evidence has popped up, because I've been out of the loop. I know there was some sort of thing with jammies mode in HGH, but I still haven't played HGH at all so I'm unsure of the context here.

D

Deleted member

I leave for an hour and a half and you guys are freaking out what’s up!!??!!

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
A lot of people in this thread seem to be convinced Shantae will get in this time. I haven't been on smashboards in months so would anyone be willing to give a quick rundown and what evidence has popped up, because I've been out of the loop. I know there was some sort of thing with jammies mode in HGH, but I still haven't played HGH at all so I'm unsure of the context here.
This whole image pretty much sums up why we're all assuming she's going to be in:

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Personally, their behavior still seems at odds with their behavior around the time of Smash 4. I think there's a very high probability of her appearing in Ultimate as either a fighter or an assist trophy.
I'm personally 100% certain she's at least an assist, and that alone is making me happy. There's too many inconsistencies and too much odd behavior coming from many different individuals for it to be one big coincidence or prank.

This is happening, and we're along for the ride.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don’t know about this yet but I feel like they’re saving sable princes assist trophy for shantaes reveal don’t you think?

Edit: and don’t start with the whole shantae replaces sable prince she’s a clone of him cause I can’t stand it jeeze!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
This whole image pretty much sums up why we're all assuming she's going to be in:
As much as I'd like her to get in I honestly can't say that I find any of this to be convincing or that useful as "evidence". Mostly just hopeful speculation based on coincidence, well imo at least.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So for fun I've been imagining Half-Genie Hero modes based on Nintendo characters.

• Plumber Mode: Use hammer for main attack, dash by holding X. Able to stomp on enemies, with damage boosting for every consecutive stomp. Special attack is unusable until a power-up is obtained from a ? block, replacing jars (as well as gems with coins) eg. Fire Flower gives bouncing fireballs.
  • Legend Mode: Use sword for main attack, launches beams at full health. Can perform down and up thrusts in the air. Hold X to guard, though shield auto-blocks projectiles from the front when not attacking or jumping. Over the course of the adventure, pick up various tools that can be switched between to solve puzzles and used with A. Gems are replaced with rupees.
  • Hunter Mode: Use an arm cannon for main attack, at higher levels gains charge functionality. X button performs a Screw Attack, A button fires missiles. Pressing down twice switches to Morph Ball mode. Here main attack becomes a bomb, X button allows wall-crawling and A drops a screen-clearing power bomb at great cost.
  • Angel Mode: Use a bow for main attack. X button triggers the power of flight, but damages you if used too long. A button swings a hammer that frees Centurions trapped throughout the stage, who will provide assistance in boss fights. Hearts replace gems, with health recovery coming from drinks or assorted food.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I wish people stopped using the chairs as evidence. That's grasping more straws than when people tried to use the clouds in the Subspace Emissary as proof that Ridley and King K. Rool would be in Brawl. I'll admit that it's pretty ironic will all these sigs saying leaks are dumb yet we're all believing some really faulty evidence of Shantae being playable.

The only things giving Shantae any chance is the series' history with Nintendo and their popularity. I'll also admit that Shantae's transformations are starting to make me think her chances of being playable are gonna be really slim unless they use mainly Pirate's Curse stuff. They're definitely not making whole movesets for the monkey, elephant, and whatever transformation she would have. Still, I want all those naysayers to be so wrong so badly.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ironically, based on what happened in Risky's Revenge and the last credits image in Pirate's Curse, I think Shantae doesn't want to see a genie lamp ever again.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So for fun I've been imagining Half-Genie Hero modes based on Nintendo characters.

• Plumber Mode: Use hammer for main attack, dash by holding X. Able to stomp on enemies, with damage boosting for every consecutive stomp. Special attack is unusable until a power-up is obtained from a ? block, replacing jars (as well as gems with coins) eg. Fire Flower gives bouncing fireballs.
  • Legend Mode: Use sword for main attack, launches beams at full health. Can perform down and up thrusts in the air. Hold X to guard, though shield auto-blocks projectiles from the front when not attacking or jumping. Over the course of the adventure, pick up various tools that can be switched between to solve puzzles and used with A. Gems are replaced with rupees.
  • Hunter Mode: Use an arm cannon for main attack, at higher levels gains charge functionality. X button performs a Screw Attack, A button fires missiles. Pressing down twice switches to Morph Ball mode. Here main attack becomes a bomb, X button allows wall-crawling and A drops a screen-clearing power bomb at great cost.
  • Angel Mode: Use a bow for main attack. X button triggers the power of flight, but damages you if used too long. A button swings a hammer that frees Centurions trapped throughout the stage, who will provide assistance in boss fights. Hearts replace gems, with health recovery coming from drinks or assorted food.
So wait if she had a Kirby mode, would she briefly get a bloated belly from sucking enemies into herself? Blorb Mode: Suck in enemies to get their powers

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I'd prefer either the lamp or the lighthouse. Both fit her series well.

Looks like the Smash Blog has finally been updated. It's a character overview for Bowser.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I hope I wouldn't be the only one a little miffed if the direct does come out on Thursday (thanks to Splatoon 2 datamine) and with all the stuff/trailers that companies like Capcom and Nintendo themselves have been showing recently.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wish people stopped using the chairs as evidence. That's grasping more straws than when people tried to use the clouds in the Subspace Emissary as proof that Ridley and King K. Rool would be in Brawl. I'll admit that it's pretty ironic will all these sigs saying leaks are dumb yet we're all believing some really faulty evidence of Shantae being playable.

The only things giving Shantae any chance is the series' history with Nintendo and their popularity. I'll also admit that Shantae's transformations are starting to make me think her chances of being playable are gonna be really slim unless they use mainly Pirate's Curse stuff. They're definitely not making whole movesets for the monkey, elephant, and whatever transformation she would have. Still, I want all those naysayers to be so wrong so badly.
While I won't exactly vouch for the chairs, anything is better than looking for evidence in completely factual and unambiguous game footage. Or the whole Rathalos battle thing, I guess.

That being said, I have to admit that I do want the naysayers to be stunned in silence if a reveal does happen.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Who says the transformations have to be seperate characters with complete movesets?

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Shantae still has more evidence in her favor than most other characters do, including the more popular choices like Skull Kid or Issac.

Half of the reason why characters like Skull Kid, Isabelle, and Shadow are still appearing in fake leaks is because of the bandwagon effect and because their assist trophies haven't been shown yet.

D

Deleted member

Shantae still has more evidence in her favor than most other characters do, including the more popular choices like Skull Kid or Issac.

Half of the reason why characters like Skull Kid, Isabelle, and Shadow are still appearing in fake leaks is because of the bandwagon effect and because their assist trophies haven't been shown yet.
Yeah she has a chance to be the first indie rep anyway plus geno is going to happen anyway because of Nintendo and square

NukeA6

Smash Master
Who says the transformations have to be seperate characters with complete movesets?
Well, it sure isn't going be to smash attacks because that wouldn't make much sense and they would have to be done in a way where Shantae isn't going to be wide open to attack. Maybe it's addressed in the first page but I only see Shantae being more like her Pirate's Curse self but with her other genie stuff. Maybe I prefer it that way too since it will make Risky a likely echo as well.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
As much as I'd like her to get in I honestly can't say that I find any of this to be convincing or that useful as "evidence". Mostly just hopeful speculation based on coincidence, well imo at least.
The image I would make instead of that one would start with the hardest evidence first, and that's 1, that sakurai is basing a lot of the roster decisions on votes in the ballot as he's stated things about that for k.rool, and according to the bigger samples (of votes at the time of the ballot) we have, Shantae is most likely a top contender. 2, If you follow how WayForward has been, and how they are now, it's totally different, and there's no excuse for it, it really points to that they're under a non-disclosure agreement and can't say that she's in smash... she's in the game in some form.
The other stuff is important too, including looking at other indie games, but that would take more explaining.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
project shantae.png

Some shantae fanart, i have also made geno and isaac and posted them in their respective threads if you wanna see them

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well, it sure isn't going be to smash attacks because that wouldn't make much sense and they would have to be done in a way where Shantae isn't going to be wide open to attack. Maybe it's addressed in the first page but I only see Shantae being more like her Pirate's Curse self but with her other genie stuff. Maybe I prefer it that way too since it will make Risky a likely echo as well.
Inkling also has different weapons as Smash Attacks.
Plus they quickly switch back and forth between human and squid forms in some of their attacks.
So I don't see rapid formshifting for single attacks being an issue.
It isn't for Inkling and it shouldn't be for Shantae either.

Another solution, like I suggested. Is make transformations seperate playable entities, but with much smaller movesets.
Like only two or three attacks, serving the role they excel in.
Either option works fine for me.

Last edited:

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
Well then practically no one has any evidence by that standard. The only one you could argue has any real evidence is Geno, since Sakurai stated he wanted to put him in smash before. Otherwise, we're just left to speculate their chances based on the ballot and circumstantial evidence. That being said, I think Shantae has some of the most convincing out there.

Top Bottom