• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Random Bad News. WHOOP. Also, hello everyone!

Potential characters might be leaked. Becareful.

Reddit Post About the Situation

EDIT: Forgot to say, Take this with a grain of salt. CoroCoro HAS leaked before, but who knows now. Nothing may have been leaked.
I took a peak in good faith, it does not look like there is anything Smash in it. No need for any cognitive dissonance, feel free to ignore it without remorse unless you want to see a bunch of pictures of Pokemon cards (?) and Japanese text that is wholly unrelated to Smash.

False alarm, bruvs

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I've been meaning to say this since I've noticed it a lot throughout the thread, but thanks on liking so many posts in here Dyllybirdy. I like that kind of commitment and the level of support you show for all of our content and discussion.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Well, I always ask before I blatantly plagiarize. I like the way you said some stuff in there. Please PM me if you have anything extra that will help me sway people into at least respecting that we have a chance.
Sure.~

There were a few more things that I didn't touch on in that post since it had already taken me three hours to write (though to be fair, one of those hours was me looking around and failing to find the Shantae conspiracy image; >:LKJALKJF).

One of the things I wanted to bring up is that Sakurai is doubling down on "expressiveness" in this iteration. He had already mentioned before that expressiveness was one of the elements he looks for in new fighters. In the E3 trailer, he makes it a point to mention this when Donkey Kong rolls around, stating that all the characters are "more expressive" this time, indicating it was a priority.

Funnily enough, I think that Zelda image striking a "Shantae" pose is a stretch but it actually does reinstate that he's serious about improving expressions (she definitely seems much more lively compared to previous installments). As well, even Ridley was plenty expressive when he twirled Mario's hat around.

Basically, Shantae has the expressiveness trait down in spades. I wouldn't doubt it at all if it was a key element in choosing her over Shovel Knight (presuming she's playable). There could be other factors of course, and they may have not been weighed against each other at all (...and she might not be playable), but it's another point in her favor. I would think it helps her to match Sakurai's design philosophy to a tee, especially if he investigates her character for more than five seconds.

I could easily see him being sucked in by her charm since she's basically everything he would want in a newcomer.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Sure.~

There were a few more things that I didn't touch on in that post since it had already taken me three hours to write (though to be fair, one of those hours was me looking around and failing to find the Shantae conspiracy image; >:LKJALKJF).

One of the things I wanted to bring up is that Sakurai is doubling down on "expressiveness" in this iteration. He had already mentioned before that expressiveness was one of the elements he looks for in new fighters. In the E3 trailer, he makes it a point to mention this when Donkey Kong rolls around, stating that all the characters are "more expressive" this time, indicating it was a priority.

Funnily enough, I think that Zelda image striking a "Shantae" pose is a stretch but it actually does reinstate that he's serious about improving expressions (she definitely seems much more lively compared to previous installments). As well, even Ridley was plenty expressive when he twirled Mario's hat around.

Basically, Shantae has the expressiveness trait down in spades. I wouldn't doubt it at all if it was a key element in choosing her over Shovel Knight (presuming she's playable). There could be other factors of course, and they may have not been weighed against each other at all (...and she might not be playable), but it's another point in her favor. I would think it helps her to match Sakurai's design philosophy to a tee, especially if he investigates her character for more than five seconds.

I could easily see him being sucked in by her charm since she's basically everything he would want in a newcomer.
Yeah, that movement for making the characters really expressive started in Smash four, most notably with Dedede, but to a lesser extent with others. But this time around you can see they added a lot of polish to the rest of the roster in that regard.

I do believe this was probably one of the factors that would tip the scale toward Shantae over Shovel Knight (presuming both were ever up for consideration against one another) Shovel knight is a very fun game and the world in it has a lot of character, but Shovel Knight himself doesn't quiet so much. With a completely hidden face personality has to be compensated with body language and really the most expressive motions i remember him doing are the moments when he raises his shovel in the air in victory and during his dreams when he jumps for Shield Knight with one of his arms stretching out desperately to catch her.

Shantae on the other hand is almost all expression and personality. I mean right down to how many different animations they programmed into the original GBC game for her. Mechanically that game would have functioned the same without all the different dance poses and victory animations and different idle animations, but including them added so much.

Like what character expresses more in their idle crouching animation than Shantae? That little butt wiggle like a cat waiting to pounce and that expression like "Imma get you"

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Yeah, that movement for making the characters really expressive started in Smash four, most notably with Dedede, but to a lesser extent with others. But this time around you can see they added a lot of polish to the rest of the roster in that regard.

I do believe this was probably one of the factors that would tip the scale toward Shantae over Shovel Knight (presuming both were ever up for consideration against one another) Shovel knight is a very fun game and the world in it has a lot of character, but Shovel Knight himself doesn't quiet so much. With a completely hidden face personality has to be compensated with body language and really the most expressive motions i remember him doing are the moments when he raises his shovel in the air in victory and during his dreams when he jumps for Shield Knight with one of his arms stretching out desperately to catch her.

Shantae on the other hand is almost all expression and personality. I mean right down to how many different animations they programmed into the original GBC game for her. Mechanically that game would have functioned the same without all the different dance poses and victory animations and different idle animations, but including them added so much.

Like what character expresses more in their idle crouching animation than Shantae? That little butt wiggle like a cat waiting to pounce and that expression like "Imma get you"
Exactly. It's also a difference in the way Yacht Club went for more of a retro feel so there was no voice acting and just text boxes, and how Wayforward tried to sort of build the game around Shantae and her personality. She's more expressive, has actual voice acting for some parts, and her sprites during gameplay and cut scenes are more vibrant and eccentric.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I've been meaning to say this since I've noticed it a lot throughout the thread, but thanks on liking so many posts in here Dyllybirdy. I like that kind of commitment and the level of support you show for all of our content and discussion.
Whoa! That comment came right out of the blue! Thank you so much! This might be the happiest I've felt in a long time, and no I'm not joking! I really do appreciate it!

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
So I randomly found this as I was working on my Shantae video. Weirdly enough I was 20ish pages behind or something and it was the first post I saw, being exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

You have a lot of info here can I use some?
What's your channel name?

D

Deleted member

Good morning everyone! anything positive to add to shantae’s case?

Last edited by a moderator:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Still no news on anything huh? It seems shocking they delayed it this long. there really must have been something in the direct that could have been tied to earthquakes. Doubt its Isaac, as they wouldn't put him in a normal direct. I think it was the torna DLC

D

Deleted member

Still no news on anything huh? It seems shocking they delayed it this long. there really must have been something in the direct that could have been tied to earthquakes. Doubt its Isaac, as they wouldn't put him in a normal direct. I think it was the torna DLC
They're only barely recovering from the majority of the damages, there's no reason that they'd keep the direct off tabs just because of some badly timed announcement after a natural disaster.

Just be patient and make do with the side-announcements they've been making.

zferolie

Smash Hero
They're only barely recovering from the majority of the damages, there's no reason that they'd keep the direct off tabs just because of some badly timed announcement after a natural disaster.

Just be patient and make do with the side-announcements they've been making.
DOn't get me wrong I'm not trying to act like a jerk. I think the did need to do the delay given everything that has happened.

I just get more and more worried nintendo is gonna have a leak or the planned Articles coming out in the next few days will ruin any surprise. And with all these side announcments happening I wonder what non first party stuff nintendo can show?

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Sure.~

Along with Shantae's history with Nintendo, this is also something the Shantae haters keep on forgetting.

We know for a fact that Sakurai is looking for expressive characters and Shantae has that in spades. I mean, she's a sassy half-genie who fights pirates. She's one of the most expressive characters I've come across - certainly more so than even some Nintendo staples like Link and Mario. That is something Shovel Knight lacks. He's your generic hero-type (nothing against the game!) while even in her idle animations you can tell just how expressive Shantae is.

Even if Sakurai has only played one Shantae game, it is easy to see how charming she is and how much potential she has. Potential that would be wasted as an assist trophy.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So guys, I just read that Dead or Alive 4 will have not only a preorder day one DLC of Nyutengu, but also a character you can only get by getting the deluxe eddition.

Just imagine if Shantae was a Preorder day one DLC, or worse, deluxe edition only.

Thank god Sakurai doesn't do Day one DLC. Why do so many companies do that, and in fighting games where that hurts SO much the balance of the game?

D

Deleted member

Along with Shantae's history with Nintendo, this is also something the Shantae haters keep on forgetting.

We know for a fact that Sakurai is looking for expressive characters and Shantae has that in spades. I mean, she's a sassy half-genie who fights pirates. She's one of the most expressive characters I've come across - certainly more so than even some Nintendo staples like Link and Mario. That is something Shovel Knight lacks. He's your generic hero-type (nothing against the game!) while even in her idle animations you can tell just how expressive Shantae is.

Even if Sakurai has only played one Shantae game, it is easy to see how charming she is and how much potential she has. Potential that would be wasted as an assist trophy.
Your right she’s sassy like daisy as well

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
So guys, I just read that Dead or Alive 4 will have not only a preorder day one DLC of Nyutengu, but also a character you can only get by getting the deluxe eddition.

Just imagine if Shantae was a Preorder day one DLC, or worse, deluxe edition only.

Thank god Sakurai doesn't do Day one DLC. Why do so many companies do that, and in fighting games where that hurts SO much the balance of the game?
Oh yea the most recent DLC debacle that ruffled my feathers is Tira’s announcement for Soul Calibur 6. Honestly, they haven’t even revealed the entire base roster yet and they’re already bugging me to pay more money for extra characters........which I’m going to do but I’m gonna be salty about it :/

VizardJeffhog

Smash Cadet
NNID
VizardJeffhog

Mild NSFW warning for that last shot, but this is most definitely us with all the Shantae in Ultimate threads we've been tying together.

Also my favourite scene in the entire movie.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Is it just me or did we spend the recent days running in circles? o_O
It seems to be a cycle of hope, loss of hope and repeating the same information over and over again.
Not that I want to prevent you guys from doing that. It's just strange to me. ^^;

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Is it just me or did we spend the recent days running in circles? o_O
It seems to be a cycle of hope, loss of hope and repeating the same information over and over again.
Not that I want to prevent you guys from doing that. It's just strange to me. ^^;
People get on at different times and end up discussing similar topics that others might already have. Such is the life of a forum full of people from different parts of the world.

I'm not sure about the hope/loss of hope, but that is also not a binary so you probably see a combination of both at any given time

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Then again, I think our "circling around" thing came from the lack of information regarding when we'll see the Direct next time and our half-anxious half-despair about potential moments where we can't really know what will happen next. The only big breakthrough we made this weekend is that Jake Kaufman (or virt) may be under NDA, though this is sort of a stretch.
Though I do have an interesting dream to tell you guys. It starts out late at night, silent as a desert town, when suddenly... There's the sounds of change, rattling, and hard laughing! Through the Arabian windows shows us that Wario is making off with some large thing... a steam engine? But as he was making his way out with the engine, he felt the ground rattle, and rattle, and rattle! But then it stopped and when Wario looked out, he only saw a "human" woman with a rather small frame. With the moonlight showcasing only her silhouette, and the soft, subtle blue glow from her eyes, she tilts her head back and whips Wario with her hair! He starts to fight the mysterious figure out in the moonlight. Trough only some fire can we make out her features...
"Shantae Whips It Good!"
[...missing gameplay points here because I didn't dream of that, except a Scuttle Town stage that may either be based on the rooftops or the staircase ridden floors, or even a sort of Onett style stage] After a vicious fight, Shantae stands victorious over Wario. However, as Wario was getting up and trying to let out a Wario Raft, the camera cuts to a lone cannon firing, with its payload hitting Wario squarely in his fat belly, sending him flying into a twinkling star! Shantae, shocked, turns to face the boat. She can only look at the boat with a sort of anger and determination, as the boat's captain chuckles, enjoying the spectacle, the pale moonlight showing off the captain's pale purple skin and similar frame. It's the Queen of the Seven Seas, Risky Boots! Then there's footage of a boss fight between Shantae and the ship piloted by Risky. While she gets hit a lot in the game play, she eventually brings the ship down. Final cut to cutscene, we now see a ruined ship with Shantae holding herself together from the pain. Risky, quite annoyed her ship was destroyed, leaped to the opposite side of Shantae, brandishing her Scimitar and beginning to charge. It ends when Shantae's hair whips at Risky's Scimitar.
[insert something about Isaac from Golden Sun getting revealed here because why not? Even though in my original dream, Isaac interrupt the fight by blocking a swipe at Shantae's blind spot with his sword or his earth magic.]

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Then again, I think our "circling around" thing came from the lack of information regarding when we'll see the Direct next time and our half-anxious half-despair about potential moments where we can't really know what will happen next. The only big breakthrough we made this weekend is that Jake Kaufman (or virt) may be under NDA, though this is sort of a stretch.
Though I do have an interesting dream to tell you guys. It starts out late at night, silent as a desert town, when suddenly... There's the sounds of change, rattling, and hard laughing! Through the Arabian windows shows us that Wario is making off with some large thing... a steam engine? But as he was making his way out with the engine, he felt the ground rattle, and rattle, and rattle! But then it stopped and when Wario looked out, he only saw a "human" woman with a rather small frame. With the moonlight showcasing only her silhouette, and the soft, subtle blue glow from her eyes, she tilts her head back and whips Wario with her hair! He starts to fight the mysterious figure out in the moonlight. Trough only some fire can we make out her features...
"Shantae Whips It Good!"
[...missing gameplay points here because I didn't dream of that, except a Scuttle Town stage that may either be based on the rooftops or the staircase ridden floors, or even a sort of Onett style stage] After a vicious fight, Shantae stands victorious over Wario. However, as Wario was getting up and trying to let out a Wario Raft, the camera cuts to a lone cannon firing, with its payload hitting Wario squarely in his fat belly, sending him flying into a twinkling star! Shantae, shocked, turns to face the boat. She can only look at the boat with a sort of anger and determination, as the boat's captain chuckles, enjoying the spectacle, the pale moonlight showing off the captain's pale purple skin and similar frame. It's the Queen of the Seven Seas, Risky Boots! Then there's footage of a boss fight between Shantae and the ship piloted by Risky. While she gets hit a lot in the game play, she eventually brings the ship down. Final cut to cutscene, we now see a ruined ship with Shantae holding herself together from the pain. Risky, quite annoyed her ship was destroyed, leaped to the opposite side of Shantae, brandishing her Scimitar and beginning to charge. It ends when Shantae's hair whips at Risky's Scimitar.
Reading this brought up a question in my head... why doesn't Risky just always attack in the nighttime? She'd be much harder to detect than in most of her other attacks that take place in broad daylight.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Sigh. It's an anonymous 4Chan text leak. Those are the easiest leaks to fake. I have no idea why anybody even remotely takes them seriously.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
It's a bit too safe to really be a good leak. That and it uses Gaedevoir yet again, so I feel that that's the fake string, because we never have really seen a PokeBall Pokemon go from just being a PokeBall to a Fighter, the sole exception being Charizard.
Plus, it's bloody 4chan. The same people who "whine" about Shantae, complain about one pixel being just slightly off, and some other stupid thing that was ultimately a waste of absolutely everyone's time.

Last edited:

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I could see this being true, given that it looks like the kind of lineup Nintendo would have.
That being said, no evidence to base this on whatsoever, so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Could've sworn that one got debunked already.
Wouldn't the announcements of Civilisation VI, FF XV Pocket and Crystal Chronicles Remaster debunk this as well?
I would've put money on those being announcements in the direct.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Fake, because again 4chan lol. and also they wouldn't show Geno here. He is one of the super hype ones. he is going top be saved for closer and on a smash focused direct.

Speaking of fake, last week I was bored, and I wanted to make my own fake leak, see what people said. Got lots of the normal 4chan hate, racist, homophobic, calling me autistic, and all that ****, but wanted to show you guys, and see if you guys wish this was what we were gonna get.

Its basically my want, but I could see someone like Rayman or Banjo and kazooie getting in over elma and/or Isaac. Honestly Rayman over Isaac is probably what would most likely happen. Isaac while I love him is quite... outdated. yeah he's super popular, but I don't know if Sakurai would grab Ridley, K Rool, Geno, AND Isaac...

Top Bottom