• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
With Wario being mentioned earlier, I think it'd actually be more interesting to see the two as reluctant partners/eventual friends teaming up against a surprise Risky Boots/Captain Syrup combo.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
smartly enough, he did an amazing job with his wording. Every question refers to the past. An NDA would refer to current inclusion. He used past tenses in most of his responses. That interview, honestly, affects nothing.
My thoughts exactly. He never said "yes" or "no" to the smash questions he just said thing like "it seemed" and "I always thought" No confirmation or denial on anything asked but referencing the past

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What happened here? Everyone is talking about anime, Shinuto wants my soul and there just hasn't been much actual Shantae stuff.
Idk, Shantae can be pretty anime. And hey, both Shantae and RWBY are western properties that gained a huge fan following in Japan to the point of them being brought over in a Japanese translation and dub respectively.

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
Nora is clearly best girl

I liked the finale of season 5, but yea season 3 is when the show is at it's best so far

I don't know if people here play other fighting games but I tried Blazblue Cross tag recently, (Which has team RWBY as playable characters in it) and had alot of fun with it.

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
I don't know if people here play other fighting games but I tried Blazblue Cross tag recently, (Which has team RWBY as playable characters in it) and had alot of fun with it.
I main Weiss and Izayoi for BBTAG. Weiss' glyphs are just super fun to use. And I've always played Izayoi in BB games. 100x more fun than that awful Grimm Eclipse game RT made (which I have over 100 hours in so I'm qualified to say it's crap).

It just makes me hope that if Shantae isn't in smash (which is an impossibility), I hope she eventually gets into some other fighting game.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Just a thought I had on this RWBY tangent; personality wise I could compare Shantae to Ruby and Rottytops to Yang, you could make a few connections between Sky and Weiss, though the only thing Blake and Bolo have in common are their tendency to be a little more emotionless than others, I’d compare him more with Jaune

Well, she's cute in that picture. I have opinions on the official art, but I'll keep them to myself
I’d still say she’s cute in her 3D model and especially in chibi form

D89F2E8D-6E6F-4E0C-985D-05AED19E2570.png

(And no I will not give context to this picture, I’ll let you all figure it out on your own)

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I main Weiss and Izayoi for BBTAG. Weiss' glyphs are just super fun to use. And I've always played Izayoi in BB games. 100x more fun than that awful Grimm Eclipse game RT made (which I have over 100 hours in so I'm qualified to say it's crap).

It just makes me hope that if Shantae isn't in smash (which is an impossibility), I hope she eventually gets into some other fighting game.
Never say never, because then it'll somehow come true like every legend in fiction. But regardless, once (impossibly if) Shantae's out and gotten her stress test in Ultimate, then she'll likely appear in more games soonafter.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So I guess we're waiting till about 11pm on Monday for the direct reveal.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Oops, silly me! Looks like I stumbled into a thread about rwby instead of Shantae! Anyone have any idea where the Shantae thread went? Did it get lost on it's way home from work?
You seem upset...

58247504-19AD-4113-A47C-21E49B82D640.png

Would you like to tell Dr. Cinder what’s on your mind?

EDIT: I’m sorry dude, I’m just messing with you at this point, I promise the next post I do will be Shantae related

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
So I guess we're waiting till about 11pm on Monday for the direct reveal.
I'd put a lot of confidence in saying we're getting the direct Monday or Tuesday. I really don't think it's happening on the 13th/14th. Maybe that's when the Splatoon 2 stuff will drop, but the directs has to happen, like, now.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well I'm not.

I'm tired, I'm irritable, I'm depressed. Just generally not in a good mood. So can you please for the love of god, stop talking about this sub-par tv show.

There's also a noticeable lack of Rottytops...
There there, everything aiight.
Picture your favorite swaying in your head and let all your worries drift away. And everything's nice, or not, whatever you want it to be.
Shantae will come up when there's more stuff to talk about. We've pretty much got a lot covered, and we're just passing time on the wayt.

Yo gots some moves, and clappin' on yur hooves, wait for a little longer and don't be a warmonger. Shantae gots you covered, you gots everythin' uncovered, so hang out enjoy your lives, and pretty soon we'll be giving each other high fives. yo, hopefully. .. :teeth:

Do I look bored? Do you think I am?

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
BTW, I think Shantae needs to be put in a Yoshi egg. A little karma for leaving one of Sky's eggs out in the sun too long.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Found this over on Deviantart earlier, tell me this wouldn’t be a scenario you would see happening in an animated Shantae series:

E38ABE61-9AB0-49AF-94CC-25A1B2410A1D.jpeg

EDIT: the text reminded me, considering how well she was able to handle the nonsensical ramblings of Mako Mankanshoku back on Kill La Kill, I can totally see Christine Marie Cabanos voicing our little chef girl here (though maybe with her Delthea voice from Fire Emblem Echoes)

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Random Bad News. WHOOP. Also, hello everyone!

Potential characters might be leaked. Becareful.

Reddit Post About the Situation

EDIT: Forgot to say, Take this with a grain of salt. CoroCoro HAS leaked before, but who knows now. Nothing may have been leaked.

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
To touch on that interview stuff from earlier, with all due respect it's a weightless point. That interview absolutely falls inside the margin of error of when Matt Bozon would have been contacted. Sakurai already stated that their number one priority was to bring back all of the veterans and that it ended up being a pretty difficult endeavor (licensing-wise and such). After that, you have to consider that they probably wanted to knock out all of the heavy hitting legacy picks like Ridley, K. Rool and Simon Belmont (*cough* ... and Geno... *cough*) first and Shantae more than likely wasn't super duper high on their priorities list. And, it would be a safe bet to think her negotiations were going to be easy anyways. Better to tackle the difficult negotiations early on and first.

Given that the interview took place, at the latest, at the end of February and given that the project plan was NOT finalized in December 2015 (it was just the FIRST plan), it easily falls within acceptable margins. Especially since it's far more likely that the interview took place earlier than the end of February 2016. Keep in mind, they have to negotiate for 1st parties as well. It is NOT just 3rd parties they have to work through.

Now had it taken place at the end of 2016, that would be worrisome.

On the flipside, if you want some tinfoil optimism, the fact that Shovel Knight's director spoke candidly about him in Smash in an interview that took place in 2017 could reasonably imply that Shovel Knight's AT was added much later into development and therefore, he wouldn't have required an NDA prior to that. We're working under the assumption that Matt Bozon and WayForward have been under an NDA for much longer, which could (potentially) indicate that she's playable. Or at the very least, a high priority AT.

Again, tinfoil hats though.

Edit: Also, they would have needed a translator for her negotiations. Might be another reason to save her negotiations for last.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Random Bad News. WHOOP. Also, hello everyone!

Potential characters might be leaked. Becareful.

Reddit Post About the Situation
Well as bad news goes that's not too bad. I first thought you meant something came out that could possibly dis-confirm our lady as a fighter.

Leaks you can at least avoid if you are aware they are about. So for that, thanks for the heads up.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
I thought CoroCoro mostly did Pokemon news. Could they have leaked a new Pokemon?
No idea. Just be on the look out. I know 4chan is having a field day, so I'ma check there for a little bit, see if anything genuine pops up.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
To touch on that interview stuff from earlier, with all due respect it's a weightless point. That interview absolutely falls inside the margin of error of when Matt Bozon would have been contacted. Sakurai already stated that their number one priority was to bring back all of the veterans and that it ended up being a pretty difficult endeavor (licensing-wise and such). After that, you have to consider that they probably wanted to knock out all of the heavy hitting legacy picks like Ridley, K. Rool and Simon Belmont (*cough* ... and Geno... *cough*) first and Shantae more than likely wasn't super duper high on their priorities list. And, it would be a safe bet to think her negotiations were going to be easy anyways. Better to tackle the difficult negotiations early on and first.

Given that the interview took place, at the latest, at the end of February and given that the project plan was NOT finalized in December 2015 (it was just the FIRST plan), it easily falls within acceptable margins. Especially since it's far more likely that the interview took place earlier than the end of February 2016. Keep in mind, they have to negotiate for 1st parties as well. It is NOT just 3rd parties they have to work through.

On the flipside, if you want some tinfoil optimism, the fact that Shovel Knight's director spoke candidly about him in Smash in an interview that took place in 2017 could reasonably imply that Shovel Knight's AT was added much later into development and therefore, he wouldn't have required an NDA prior to that. We're working under the assumption that Matt Bozon and WayForward have been under an NDA for much longer, which could (potentially) indicate that she's playable. Or at the very least, a high priority AT.

If she was a high priority AT, wouldn't it have made more sense to reveal her at E3 to tout for a few seconds about her existence? Or, going back to 8/8, wouldn't it have made more sense to reveal her alongside Shovel Knight as an AT? That's sort of the conundrum that Shantae is in at the moment. Because we know that Sakurai is erratic yet logical in his thought process, but why wait to put her in as an assist trophy unless she was going to replace the Sable Prince? Why have such a strict NDA if her entire existence was dictated to just being either a collectible or a non-playable assist? Those are questions that we're going to see the answers to soon.
Of course, not to doubt you because you actually explain absolutely everything while I'm about as cryptic as a bad video game with the speech impediment of the Heavy Weapons Guy from TF2. This entire thing just doesn't add up in a way I can process it.

Last edited:

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576

Edit: Also, they would have needed a translator for her negotiations. Might be another reason to save her negotiations for last.
It actually doesn't even matter if they WERE already under NDA, as we established already.

The interview was geared toward Smash 4, and there is absolutely no reason they would have an NDA for Shantae regarding Smash 4, a game that had already finished its final content releases.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If the thing with CoroCoro is true, watch out for fake leaks claiming to be corocoro. Make sure it's the actual thing (magazine or website that's actually them)
You never know what fakers try to spread or troll with.

Maybe it's even some people just saying that there'll be smash related news in it and there might not. Nintendo surely knows what information is where, and would contact them and offer something to have the info postponed. I just don't buy it off the bat that they'd publish it anyway.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
It actually doesn't even matter if they WERE already under NDA, as we established already.

The interview was geared toward Smash 4, and there is absolutely no reason they would have an NDA for Shantae regarding Smash 4, a game that had already finished its final content releases.
Then the point is thoroughly moot.~

zferolie

Smash Hero
well when I wake up I may or may not know of the upcoming fighters... man if nintendo allows this they dropped the ball on just releasing the direct faster...

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I'm feeling pretty enthusiastic today so I feel like going over a few observations I've had recently. Strap in bois and gois because this is going to be a long one.~

Firstly, let's just establish that WayForward (hereafter referred to as "WF") is most likely under an NDA and get that bit out of here.

Anyone that stalks follows WF on any of their social media knows that they're a company that's heavy into fan communication. And also, they were behind the idea of getting Shantae into Smash Bros..

But those two points together, so what? Who cares? Well, ever since the ballot ended, they stopped communicating about the latter whenever fans bring it up. Obviously, this is out-of-character for them because they both supported Shantae for Smash and they make the effort to communicate with their fans.

So the only two solutions to this conundrum are: 1) they're being jerks, 2) they're under an NDA. Or at least, these are the only two reasonable solutions (that don't involve say, alien mind control replacing their capacity to respond to Smash questions with crippling paralysis). The previously linked tweet (literally thanking their fans), creation of Jammies mode (to thank their fans) and constant re-tweeting and liking of fanart make it highly unlikely that the former is true. So it follows that the latter must be true. (Or else, WF will have a lot to answer for.)

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, let's assume they're under a non-disclosure agreement.

So right off the bat, if we are to accept that WF being under an NDA is true, this means that Shantae has representation in Smash Bros. in some capacity. Which logically implies that Sakurai has examined her character.

Recently, I conceded that Shantae could be in the game in as low of a capacity as a regular trophy (or sticker, if they return). However, in lieu of Jammies mode, I no longer think that this is a reasonable expectation. Before you get your panties twisted though, I do still think that an AT is possible as her highest level of representation, because ATs do still carry a lot of weight to them. Mainly, what I want to argue here is that it's unreasonable to try and justify that she's in the game as just a regular trophy (and outlandish to suggest she's absent altogether).

Keep in mind, we're working under the assumption that WF is under an NDA in regards to Smash Bros. Since I can't find the blasted image I'll let our friendly neighborhood @WreckitRyan explain the Jammies "hint":

In case the timestamp doesn't work, skip to 10:04.

And for a little more oomph since I didn't see certain parts included: moar correlations.

Frankly, I believe there are too many coincidences here to dismiss all of these as mere coincidence. As they say, where there's smoke there's fire. To me, it's pretty clear that they're referring to Smash Bros with these nods. And while I won't be so outlandish as to suggest that they programmed this entire mode just as a love letter to Smash Bros., the inclusion of said "hints" feel too prominent for her to be relegated to a "mere" regular trophy in Smash.

So I'm thinking now, at minimum, she would have to be an AT. Otherwise, what's the point of dropping so many "hints" in regards to Jammies mode (a mode that was made to thank the fans and was given away for free) if she'll only appear as a regular trophy? Some would argue that it's justification enough to say she's playable because otherwise why would she be a "mere" AT, using the same logic. But... sorry, I just think it's a really big deal to get in even as an AT. >_>

Anyways, her inclusion, and in particular her inclusion at the level of (in my mind) at minimum an AT would imply she did alright on the ballot. Well... how well is "alright" anyways?

Apparently, the Smash Ballot garnered 1.8 million votes worldwide.

Well that's neat.~

If a character were to garner one percent of that total, it would be impossible for more than 100 characters to be above them (as each character would only garner one percent; this obviously wouldn't be the case but we'll keep it simple). That would effectively make that character a Top 100, which is a pretty big deal considering Goku there are thousands of potential votes.

One percent of 1.8 million is... 18,000.

*ahem*

It would be unreasonable to assume that all of Shantae's Kickstarter backers voted for her one time in the ballot so I'll disregard that it had 18,000+ backers. However, it would not be unreasonable to assume that she's capable of garnering those numbers. Since... ya know... voting is free.~

---

Here's an underrated point to chew on:

Promotion around the ballot was a pretty big deal. I would argue that being in the mouth of a popular youtuber, such as Etika, could capture a few votes. "But J-Dawg, just because Etika talked about her doesn't mean his fans are going to vote for her". Yeah, except uh...

Funny thing, Sakurai is actually aware of Etika's existence...

SO LIKE, HE WATCHES HIS VIDS RIGHT!? SO LIKE, HE SAW HIS STRAW POLL RIGHT?! SO LIKE, SHANTAE IS PLAYABLE RIGHT!?!?

She probably did alright on the ballot.

stuff that doesn't matter

---

Source: Gaming

Oh hey, she does this stuff.

It all means something, I swear!
So I randomly found this as I was working on my Shantae video. Weirdly enough I was 20ish pages behind or something and it was the first post I saw, being exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

You have a lot of info here can I use some?

Last edited:

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Be my guest. =)

It's not like I own any of it. xD
Well, I always ask before I blatantly plagiarize. I like the way you said some stuff in there. Please PM me if you have anything extra that will help me sway people into at least respecting that we have a chance.

Top Bottom