• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
She certainly wouldn't get along with King K. Rool, because of her deep hatred for pirates!
Does she though? Judging by her interactions in Pirate's Curse she sees Risky more as a rival than an enemy. But maybe she'll be less friendly to a banana stealing reptile idk.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
The best approximation to a "finalized" was said to be in mid-2016, right? That being said, it was likely that all the negotiations and stuff that went on in the background with the larger 3rd parties first, before going to the smaller fish.
That being said, however, this talk of "oh, shantae's not gonna make it because of x" is seriously starting to get on my nerves. We better have a damn good evidence pool pointing towards Shantae NOT being in Smash Bros before I'll start doubting her. And that'll be hard.
Until we have good evidence that suggests that Shantae won't be in Ultimate, I'm still going to put her at a solid 50-60% chance in favor of her being playable. WF would jump at the chance of her being playable, so for all we know Nintendo went to them after finalizing things with Konami and other third parties. Shantae would be the easiest third party/indie character for Sakurai to get as Matt probably would have let him use her for free since he's such a big Smash and Nintendo fan. Add to the fact that she has far more evidence in her favor, I'm not about to let these periodic bouts of negativity diminish my hopes for her.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Does she though? Judging by her interactions in Pirate's Curse she sees Risky more as a rival than an enemy. But maybe she'll be less friendly to a banana stealing reptile idk.
I could see her hating K. Rool because of her "relation" to Diddy Kong via her Monkey Form. Ridley she would absolutely hate, however. Not that it'd matter to the space dragon pirate god of death himself.

Also, on a more broad note, I'm sorry for my rather angry message earlier. I'm just sick and tired of seeing all this doubt placed on her, when she has so much of this proverbial deck playing in her favor from circumstantial evidence alone, even if it can get a bit too tin foily for our own good.

Last edited:

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
OK, since we're back on the subject of that interview again: when was the exact date of WayForward/Matt's final Twitter post of being super open about Shantae in Smash? That is, if someone wanted to go to the trouble of digging for it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Matt’s last post that mentioned smash was on the day we all lost it and cried 12/15/15

D

Deleted member

OK, since we're back on the subject of that interview again: when was the exact date of WayForward/Matt's final Twitter post of being super open about Shantae in Smash? That is, if someone wanted to go to the trouble of digging for it.
I did the digging like 80 pages ago, at work so im too lazy to look for it
It was something like December 2015.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Matt’s last post that mentioned smash was on the day we all lost it and cried 12/15/15
Heh, that's quite intriguing. Yet it makes the most sense. That's the day where I think the majority of us really did lose hope, though at the same time, we hid some of that hope away for a later use...
As for now...?
I think it's time for Jack to let 'er rip!

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Besides the obvious "Heroes hate villains" thing, I feel she wouldn't get along with Bayo, since they'd be arguing over who's the better protagonist that fights with their hair. While some would argue that they'd be friends, I feel that Shantae's more or less kind-hearted personality would clash with Bayo's more sarcastic personality (based on what I've seen; I never played Bayo's games). If we're breaking the fourth wall, Shantae could argue that she's the original, while Bayo would argue that she's "Shantae 2.0" or something.

List of dirty swearers:
Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy
Negativity, Double Posters and Cursing. Starting to sound like "Lions and Tigers and Bears Oh My"

So basically the last time he (not WF) went out of his way to address Smash, since the other ones were interviews that he couldn't say "We have nothing to announce" or a (single) tweet that has the hashtag connected to art.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Probably too early to call but the Smash site still hasn’t updated tonight.
It's never too early for conspiracy theorists. Especially now that the entire smash community is on edge people will undoubtedly grasp straws at whatever.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Probably too early to call but the Smash site still hasn’t updated tonight.
It's never too early for conspiracy theorists. Especially now that the entire smash community is on edge people will undoubtedly grasp straws at whatever.
I'd give it until 10 (Eastern Time) to jump to any conclusions. Even then, they could still be recovering from the earthquake. Not trying to be negative here, but let's not lose our heads just yet.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Honestly with the whole Shantae hate thing, the better question to ask is what characters is Shantae forcing herself to tolerate. At her heart she is a kind person and there are few she would hate outside of complete monsters(Ridley). I do imagine there would be a few people in the roster that would have a similar dynamic to her as pre Pirate's Curse Rotty and Risky.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I'll give Japan until 9 PM MST, giving them a nice, juicy Noon in JST. If all else fails, though, we should see an announcement very soon.
Going back to Shantae, she would simply be bare minimum nice towards most of the hero cast. Going by jokes, she should be intrigued in Ike due to his resemblance to Bolo, some of the more goofy Fighters, and just an overall dork towards a select few.
To those she'd hate, it would ultimately just be the standard "good v. evil" hate for most villains, with slightly more hate towards Ganondorf, absolute fury towards Ridley, and maybe an awkward type of hate with King K. Rool.

D

Deleted member

Sorry about posting the interviews you’ve talked about in the past so let’s forget that ever happened and focus on more things like Kaufman’s possible nda (not sure yet) and daisy butt bumping in the mural!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think a Shantae anime(/cartoon) could be cool. I wouldn't mind seeing more of her animated and more vividly expressive.
And that would mean seeing more of whole crew too. I dunno just a fun idea.

Hey what if Shantae had a pokemon transformation, in some weird crossover.
I wonder what she'd be like. :p Maybe one of the cuter ones but with purple hair lol.

:172::drsad:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
honestly with the whole Shantae hate thing, the better question to ask is what characters is Shantae forcing herself to tolerate. At her heart she is a kind person and there are few she would hate outside of complete monsters(Ridley). I do imagine there would be a few people in the roster that would have a similar dynamic to her as pre Pirate's Curse Rotty and Risky.
Wario. He's just very money hungry. greedy and selfish. I think Shantae would find it quite challenging to tolerate him (and his mushroom cloud farts).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'll give Japan until 9 PM MST, giving them a nice, juicy Noon in JST. If all else fails, though, we should see an announcement very soon.
Going back to Shantae, she would simply be bare minimum nice towards most of the hero cast. Going by jokes, she should be intrigued in Ike due to his resemblance to Bolo, some of the more goofy Fighters, and just an overall dork towards a select few.
To those she'd hate, it would ultimately just be the standard "good v. evil" hate for most villains, with slightly more hate towards Ganondorf, absolute fury towards Ridley, and maybe an awkward type of hate with King K. Rool.
Oh my god, I never realized the design similarity's between Ike and Bolo till you said it. That is a weird image.

D

Deleted member

Sorry about posting the interviews you’ve talked about in the past so let’s forget that ever happened and focus on more things like Kaufman’s possible nda (not sure yet) and daisy butt bumping in the mural!
I found the interview like 80+ pages ago, i dont blame you for not reading EVERY page,

Plus id rather have a repost then losing potential new information due to fear of a repost.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I think a Shantae anime(/cartoon) could be cool. I wouldn't mind seeing more of her animated and more vividly expressive.
And that would mean seeing more of whole crew too. I dunno just a fun idea.

Hey what if Shantae had a pokemon transformation, in some weird crossover.
I wonder what she'd be like. :p Maybe one of the cuter ones but with purple hair lol.

:172::drsad:
I think Shantae would be perfect as a Netflix animated series. I’ve been kinda playing around with that idea myself, though admittedly I haven’t gotten that far with original ideas for it (mostly thinking about how they could adapt certain elements of the games’ stories into animated form).

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Even WayForward made a joke about Bolo being Ike! https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/591753825456824321
The date of this tweet was on April 24th, 2015 and it was for WatchQuest.

Funny enough, Wade, on a discord channel dedicated to Shantae, we entertained the possibility of what would a Shantae Cartoon Series have? Of course, the first episode could be a theoretical two-parter, introducing us to the world of Sequin Land, and our main characters. Maybe a truncated version of the first Shantae game's plot, but with Shantae's redesign and the potential for Risky to hold her friends captive on the Tinkerfactory Island, thus giving her all the more motivation to infiltrate the island. The rest of the season would be light-hearted episodes detailing the escapades of Shantae and Friends as they deal with wacky situations. Basically like MLP: FiM or Sonic Boom, but a bit more Risky and Risque.

Last edited:

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
Besides the obvious "Heroes hate villains" thing, I feel she wouldn't get along with Bayo, since they'd be arguing over who's the better protagonist that fights with their hair. While some would argue that they'd be friends, I feel that Shantae's more or less kind-hearted personality would clash with Bayo's more sarcastic personality (based on what I've seen; I never played Bayo's games). If we're breaking the fourth wall, Shantae could argue that she's the original, while Bayo would argue that she's "Shantae 2.0" or something.
Really? I feel like they would be mortal enemies in a similar way as Shantae and Risky already are. As an Umbra Witch, Bayonetta hunts and slays supernatural beings and I feel genies might just fall in line with angels and daemons. Bayonetta tends to be snarky and sassy with her foes so they'd make for an interesting character dynamic if they fought. The fact they both use hair is just the cherry on top.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Yeah I was in the middle of making a long post about the interview and Twitter stuff but got distracted, and by then it seems everyone agreed to drop it anyway lol

But basically tl;dr for a post that doesn't exist is that the day of the final Smash 4 Direct and and that interview are way too close to say for sure that the supposed NDA had already overlapped the day they took the interview

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
I know you may press X to doubt but I’ve compared the interviews and they are the ones you’ve talked about.

Wayforwards is talking about the ballot days along with a no brainer question about another ballot which dosent break the possible nda (2016)

Yatch’s Is talking about shovel knights chances in smash at 0.1% and this was probley before the were contacted for an assist which don’t take too long (2017)

Sorry for putting tinfoil hats on y’all

Edit: now there’s a tinfoil hat on me someone please take it off!
smartly enough, he did an amazing job with his wording. Every question refers to the past. An NDA would refer to current inclusion. He used past tenses in most of his responses. That interview, honestly, affects nothing.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
smartly enough, he did an amazing job with his wording. Every question refers to the past. An NDA would refer to current inclusion. He used past tenses in most of his responses. That interview, honestly, affects nothing.
You're a hero, my man <3
Otherwise, have this meme video because I wonder how Shantae will fit in this entire thing, while I will contemplate if I'll be banned for such a horrifying post.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I like the idea of there being an animated Shantae television show. Although, I'd only ever consider watching it if it was titled "The Many Escapades of Rottytops: A Trip Through Dyllybird's Very Bizarre and Quite Frankly Disturbing Fantasies".

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Ah lol, I actually never watched that interview.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I like the idea of there being an animated Shantae television show. Although, I'd only ever consider watching it if it was titled "The Many Escapades of Rottytops: A Trip Through Dyllybird's Very Bizarre and Quite Frankly Disturbing Fantasies".
Knowing breakout secondary characters like Knuckles, Rottytops would serve to be the Knuckles' to Shantae's Sonic, with Sky being the Tails, and Bolo just being Amy. And not the badass Amy in Sonic Boom, I mean the yandere Amy in the Sonic Adventure days.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Knowing breakout secondary characters like Knuckles, Rottytops would serve to be the Knuckles' to Shantae's Sonic, with Sky being the Tails, and Bolo just being Amy. And not the badass Amy in Sonic Boom, I mean the yandere Amy in the Sonic Adventure days.
You just compared Rottytops to Knuckles. I feel offended. Knuckles is nothing compared to the might of Rotty.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
I could already see the tv show being about Shantae and Risky going back forth and forth, pissing each other off. They should at least give the octopus boss a role where he tries to be the most threatening villain in the show but keeps failing at it.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
I could already see the tv show being about Shantae and Risky going back forth and forth, pissing each other off. They should at least give the octopus boss a role where he tries to be the most threatening villain in the show but keeps failing at it.
There could also be an episode of Sky starting some sort of delivery service with her company of birds. And who knows maybe we could see the ever elusive ruler of Sequin Island if she ever bothers to return to her land.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Really? I feel like they would be mortal enemies in a similar way as Shantae and Risky already are. As an Umbra Witch, Bayonetta hunts and slays supernatural beings and I feel genies might just fall in line with angels and daemons. Bayonetta tends to be snarky and sassy with her foes so they'd make for an interesting character dynamic if they fought. The fact they both use hair is just the cherry on top.
Actually yeah, I do see them being mortal enemies, but I didn't know how to properly explain them being mortal enemies, since I haven't played Bayo. I could also see a Bayo-Rotty encounter being used to either start the hatred between the two, or for Bayo to try to manipulate Shantae. Or even worse, Bayo could go out of her way to try to find and kill Shantae's mother for a climatic moment (no pun intended), since they are both supernatural beings. If handled correctly, I could see Shantae hating Bayo more than even Risky.

Yeah I was in the middle of making a long post about the interview and Twitter stuff but got distracted, and by then it seems everyone agreed to drop it anyway lol

But basically tl;dr for a post that doesn't exist is that the day of the final Smash 4 Direct and and that interview are way too close to say for sure that the supposed NDA had already overlapped the day they took the interview
Just so we have a better idea of how far apart these two events could be, does anyone have an idea of how long these kinds of articles take to make and release?

That actually makes a lot of sense, since the article was about Smash 4 and not Ultimate. But that last question has me wondering... If he was already contacted, could he have said "sure" possibly knowing that the 2015 Ballot was for Ultimate and not Smash 4? (I don't think it makes a difference between fighter and AT, just curious.)

NukeA6

Smash Master
There could also be an episode of Sky starting some sort of delivery service with her company of birds. And who knows maybe we could see the ever elusive ruler of Sequin Island if she ever bothers to return to her land.
Or a Valentine's Day episode where Shantae decides to date Bolo only for Risky to seduce him to be her's (for laughs of course) and Shantae spends the rest of the episode trying to look more pretty than her while taking bad advice from Rottytops (who's also doing this just for laughs).

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If Shantae does indeed get in I want to someone to draw Shantae sitting on an ornate throne, her legs crossed, one hand clenched in a fist holding her chin up, her face looking smug with a cheeky smile. Her eyes glowing yellow and her body surrounded in the aura of a Smash Ball. The other on the arm of the throne holding a Smash Ball. Shantae is adorned in a crown and is using Shovel Knight as a (possibly willing) foostool, with a title above her saying"Indie Queen" with various other indies bowing to her.

Yes Im aware its out of character but it just looks funny in my head.

Last edited:
Top Bottom