• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Still, if Kaufman has an NDA, I'd still take it as a hint for Shantae music, rather than Shovel Knight music.
At least with how things are looking now.

Isaac is the only exception of an AT so far, that had any music coming with it.
So I think chances for Shovel Knight to be an exception as well are rather low in my book.
Not impossible, but I can't see it happening right now.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Still, if Kaufman has an NDA, I'd still take it as a hint for Shantae music, rather than Shovel Knight music.
At least with how things are looking now.

Isaac is the only exception of an AT so far, that had any music coming with it.
So I think chances for Shovel Knight to be an exception as well are rather low in my book.
Not impossible, but I can't see it happening right now.
While he is the only AT exception, I do recall Wonderful 101 having a song or two on Mario Galaxy.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
You guys are forgetting that we've never had 3rd party music that isnt represented alongside a playable character.

D

Deleted member

Ill be honest, if we get a Shantae Stage, I will be upset if Shovel Knight Music doesn't make it in that stage.

Can never have too much of Jake.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
You guys are forgetting that we've never had 3rd party music that isnt represented alongside a playable character.
Good point.

Especially since I just realized I dun goofed.
Since Excitebikes were also an AT and they also had a music track.
For Port Town Aero Dive, I believe.

But yeah, 3rd parties seem to have a harder time getting their tracks into the game, unless they have a playable rep. ^^;

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
It's published by Nintendo, but it's from Platinum, so I don't think so.
That still sorta makes it a Nintendo game.

Megaman's published by Capcom, Metal Gear by Konami, Sonic by Sega, etc.
Those are the ones we mean with 3rd Party.

And Shovel Knight's publisher certainly isn't Nintendo...

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

At least, not in the West lol

D

Deleted member

Good point.

Especially since I just realized I dun goofed.
Since Excitebikes were also an AT and they also had a music track.
For Port Town Aero Dive, I believe.

But yeah, 3rd parties seem to have a harder time getting their tracks into the game, unless they have a playable rep. ^^;

Your thinking what I’m thinking are ya?:ultkrool:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

Wasn't Shovel Knight published by Nintendo in Japan though?

What about all the Namco music we got in the last game?
I kinda feel that he's an exception, since Pac-Man represents all of (retro) Namco and not just his own games, since he's from the arcade.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

well, not exactly.
hmmmm
Yeah actually they got Nintendo to publish Shovel Knight in japan.
Bear in mind, publishing is about distribution.

D

Deleted member

I know you may press X to doubt but I’ve compared the interviews and they are the ones you’ve talked about.

Wayforwards is talking about the ballot days along with a no brainer question about another ballot which dosent break the possible nda (2016)

Yatch’s Is talking about shovel knights chances in smash at 0.1% and this was probley before the were contacted for an assist which don’t take too long (2017)

Sorry for putting tinfoil hats on y’all

Edit: now there’s a tinfoil hat on me someone please take it off!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I still think that getting her an amiibo doesn't require a presence in Smash Bros. or another game.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I know you may press X to doubt but I’ve compared the interviews and they are the ones you’ve talked about.

Wayforwards is talking about the ballot days along with a no brainer question about another ballot which dosent break the possible nda (2016)

Yatch’s Is talking about shovel knights chances in smash at 0.1% and this was probley before the were contacted for an assist which don’t take too long (2017)

Sorry for putting tinfoil hats on y’all

Edit: now there’s a tinfoil hat on me someone please take it off!
I feel that if she was a fighter, Matt wouldn't have accepted that interview, knowing it was about Smash. And it kinda does break NDA, since it talks about her and Smash. It wouldn't be before the NDA either, since planning was done all the way in 2015. (INB4 people think I'm against her being a fighter again)

Edit: It wasn't exclusively about Smash; it was just that part of the interview, but I still see some red flags.

Last edited:

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
I feel that if she was a fighter, Matt wouldn't have accepted that interview, knowing it was about Smash. And it kinda does break NDA, since it talks about her and Smash. It wouldn't be before the NDA either, since planning was done all the way in 2015. (INB4 people think I'm against her being a fighter again)

Edit: It wasn't exclusively about Smash; it was just that part of the interview, but I still see some red flags.
Well we don't know for sure how far this NDA extends but given that they were still working on Smash 4 in February 2016 I feel it's a bit preemptive to say that they were set on Shantae let alone the Ultimate roster.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Well we don't know for sure how far this NDA extends but given that they were still working on Smash 4 in February 2016 I feel it's a bit preemptive to say that they were set on Shantae let alone the Ultimate roster.
Sakurai himself has stated the project plan for Ultimate was created in December 2015, 3 months before the interview. Contacting Matt and Wayforward for an NDA would have happened at that time and therefore they would have been under NDA during the period of that interview.

That is, they would have given them the NDA then if she were playable.

This is pretty bleak if they were in fact barred from stating anything about Shantae being added as playable. I think this points towards WF's silence being mostly about her being an AT.

D

Deleted member

This interview was posted on March 2nd of 2016, but its just a digital post of the article in the physical issue, which was released 2/26/2016,
So the interview would of taken place well before the 2/26 date, i did try to reach out to the guy who did the interview, but i got no response. this issue could of been in the works for an unknown amount of time.
Considering the issue before the Shantae was released 12/16/2015, it could of been any time between the 2 dates.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
True. We don't know when the third party companies were contacted, but judging by how Sakurai wanted to get everyone, including Konami, on board with it, I can't picture Sakurai contacting the third party companies with fighters past the planning stage.

I hate to be negative again, but it really looks like she's not gonna make it.

D

Deleted member

True. We don't know when the third party companies were contacted, but judging by how Sakurai wanted to get everyone, including Konami, on board with it, I can't picture Sakurai contacting the third party companies with fighters past the planning stage.

Don’t start this again!

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
The negativity is NOT helping and we don't need to go through this again.

We have no idea how far the NDA extends. All we know was that the article was posted on that day. We have no idea exactly when the interview happened. There is still plenty of evidence in Shantae's favor. Let's focus more on that.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Honestly, haven't we done this song and dance before, even with this exact article? I am getting the strangest sense of deja vu. We find it, get all sad, realize that the timing is weird and that Sakurai likely prioritized the old companies coming back first in order to make sure "Everyone is here" is a thing, and then we go along our merry way. Seriously, I recall all of this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The first project plan was made December 2015, the key word being first. Things change stuff gets cut and added. as time goes on.

Have hope!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The first project plan was made December 2015, the key word being first. Things change stuff gets cut and added. as time goes on.

Have hope!
That as well. It would make sense, since plans could easily change in games as big as this, and I would not be surprised if Sakurai had back up plans.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Honestly, haven't we done this song and dance before, even with this exact article. I am getting the strangest sense of deja vu. We find it, get all sad, realize that the timing is weird and that Sakurai likely prioritized the old companies coming back first in order to make sure "Everyone is here" is a thing, and then we go along our merry way. Seriously, I recall all of this.
We just went through this routine a couple days ago and all it did was cause people to lose hope. I'm tired of us going through this bout of negativity every few days. It's not over until it's over. There is still more evidence for Shantae than against her.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Honestly, haven't we done this song and dance before, even with this exact article? I am getting the strangest sense of deja vu. We find it, get all sad, realize that the timing is weird and that Sakurai likely prioritized the old companies coming back first in order to make sure "Everyone is here" is a thing, and then we go along our merry way. Seriously, I recall all of this.
Yeah. all we can do is hope that WF wasn't contacted till later.

On a more positive note, we talked about who Shantae would probably make friends with on the roster, so who could you see her making enemies with?

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
How many times have we gone through this crap?

Just forget about it! Probably doesn't mean anything. It never does.
At this point I might as well just put myself in a box until the direct comes out. This direct drought has been making everyone bored out of their minds anyway looping arguments and all.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

On a more positive note, we talked about who Shantae would probably make friends with on the roster, so who could you see her making enemies with?
That may be harder to do considering she barely is able to maintain animosity towards her own enemies

AngrySun88

Smash Ace

Have hope!
This. We have no idea when the absolute final plan was made so we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions as to when WF was contacted or when the base roster was decided. Let's not do this crap again.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I could see her having a similar dynamic with the likes of Bowser, Bowser Jr, and K.Rool as she does the Baron's, but Ridley is a notable exception from that list.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

She certainly wouldn't get along with King K. Rool or Ridley, because of her deep hatred of pirates!

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
This. We have no idea when the absolute final plan was made so we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions as to when WF was contacted or when the base roster was decided. Let's not do this crap again.
The best approximation to a "finalized" was said to be in mid-2016, right? That being said, it was likely that all the negotiations and stuff that went on in the background with the larger 3rd parties first, before going to the smaller fish.
That being said, however, this talk of "oh, shantae's not gonna make it because of x" is seriously starting to get on my nerves. We better have a damn good evidence pool pointing towards Shantae NOT being in Smash Bros before I'll start doubting her. And that'll be hard.

---

If she were to have a good relationship with people, I wouldn't say Daisy, but that's a pretty good first guess. A second good guess would be Pit, on a more personal level that they are dorky dorks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom