• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Yeah, there's no need to worry about how she looks or how she'll play. The only thing to worry about is if she'll be playable, since it's all but guaranteed that she'll be in the game in some form
Luckily, I'm not getting the vibe that anyone is worried about it, mostly just curious speculation in this thread

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Luckily, I'm not getting the vibe that anyone is worried about it, mostly just curious speculation in this thread
Mean, the biggest threat to Shantae at this point is being an assist trophy, but with all the digging and speculations we've created from August 8th's Direct, there's a pretty safe assumption that she will be in the game.

However, it can go like XCOM and hit the fubar scenario quite quickly if we don't temper our expectations.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That's good. I will say, and even Matt pointed it out, there is so many ways to make a Shantae moveset that would fit her character. Everyone has there own moveset idea, even if it sometimes is just a little bit different than others.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
People have been saying that since Shovel Knight is playable in these smaller fighting games and Shantae is not in these fighting games (even the indie fighting game) that that could hint to her being playable. They say Sakurai wouldn't want her to be playable in these smaller fighting games if she's playable in Ultimate. I don't know how true this is though

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
People have been saying that since Shovel Knight is playable in these smaller fighting games and Shantae is not in these fighting games (even the indie fighting game) that that could hint to her being playable. They say Sakurai wouldn't want her to be playable in these smaller fighting games if she's playable in Ultimate. I don't know how true this is though
Impossible to know for sure.
But it's a logical conclusion to make, considering WayForward's radio silence and Nintendo's stingyness.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Oh? You're following this conspiracy, too? I am a follower of this little tidbit, as well! It's unusual for Shovel Knight to be appearing in fighting games, even after the Ballot and after the roster was determined! And yet, despite her similar want in these games as well, she doesn't appear there! Only games she's been a part of were either platformers, platformers with top-down segments, or a later-released RPG. This may have strong connotations to her having an NCC or a Non-Compete Contract.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I was wondering something : Have we ever had a character with that many "clues" pointing towards a playable role and who ended up not being it smash ?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Well, looks I'll be here staring at this for the next 6 hours. Such fun!
I love that animation of Rottytops. I actually want her in Ultimate more than Shantae (Rottytops is my favorite Shantae character) but we all know she wouldn't be playable :(

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Oh? You're following this conspiracy, too? I am a follower of this little tidbit, as well! It's unusual for Shovel Knight to be appearing in fighting games, even after the Ballot and after the roster was determined! And yet, despite her similar want in these games as well, she doesn't appear there! Only games she's been a part of were either platformers, platformers with top-down segments, or a later-released RPG. This may have strong connotations to her having an NCC or a Non-Compete Contract.
Makes sense to me. It's obvious at this point that she's in the game in some way. But I hope we're right with our speculation about the possible NCC Wayforward may have with Nintendo right now

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Most probable time for us to get a new time announcement today would likely be at Noon in Japan Time, around six hours later, because they're on Monday while we're on Sunday.
My gut is telling my the Direct will be on Monday or Tuesday before the latest edition of Famitsu drops on Wednesday. Nintendo will want to avoid as many leaks and spoilers as possible.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
lol I think that's funny that Villager is thinking about Assist Trophies while he's buried in the ground. You know, he could be thinking about something else, like how to get out of the ground, but nope, he's thinking about Assist Trophies instead. It's so random and funny.

D

Deleted member

Let’s not forget the possibility of jake under an nda as well as Daisy’s missing butt buddie in the mural.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if I replied WAY later than I should've. Been busy. Anyway...

EDIT: FOR FLIPS SAKE, SOMEONE FAKED THIS. IDK HOW, BUT THEY DID. Ignore this post. Jesus...

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Jake Kaufman being under an NDA is far less likely as the Smash music team will likely remix (or simply include unedited) the music tracks themselves.

I don't believe it's a valuable area of exploration.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
D

Deleted member

What do you mean? Who are Jake and what's this about a butt buddie?
Jake Kaufman shantaes composer might be under an nda (we don’t know yet) and in the smash mural daisy seems to be hip bumping an unrevealed newcomer (shantae and daisy are more like tomboys)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Jake Kaufman shantaes composer might be under an nda (we don’t know yet) and in the smash mural daisy seems to be hip bumping an unrevealed newcomer (shantae and daisy are more like tomboys)
Oh I see what you mean. Yeah I saw that! There was a video talking about how Daisy is hip bumping no one, and it could be Shantae. That'd be really cool if true

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Jake Kaufman being under an NDA is far less likely as the Smash music team will likely remix (or simply include unedited) the music tracks themselves.

You seem to be ignoring that Sakurai himself revealed that he's invited composers to do composition work for Smash Ultimate in the Famitsu interviews a week before the delayed Direct would have gone underway. Plus, you're also likely ignoring that they need Jake's permission to use the soundtrack, regardless of his invitation or lack thereof, which may include an NDA.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

They'd have to contact him for permission to use his music and thus would be under an NDA as well.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I am the most bamboozled a bamboozled human being has ever been. I genuinely thought that was the new date for the direct for a second.
I've been extremely busy, and I'm not noticing these things anymore.

I've been bamboozled. Never research when your tired.
Today is a great day for bamboozling! To keep the hype in check :upsidedown:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
You seem to be ignoring that Sakurai himself revealed that he's invited composers to do composition work for Smash Ultimate in the Famitsu interviews a week before the delayed Direct would have gone underway. Plus, you're also likely ignoring that they need Jake's permission to use the soundtrack, regardless of his invitation or lack thereof, which may include an NDA.
Here's the GameXplain video about it:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Sakruai himself has said that composers have signed NDAs. This video from GameXplain confirmed it. So it's entirely possible for Jake to have been contacted by Sakurai and then signed an NDA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkkw2SdwsfA

And if composers are signing NDAs, we can assume that any third party/indie developers are under NDAs as well.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Here's the GameXplain video about it:
Hmm... Looking it up, Jake Kaufman actually does share the rights for the soundtracks. And that Sakurai relegated other members of the team to contact new composers could imply that he needed a translator.

Nevermind, this looks a lot stronger than I thought. I still don't like the idea of bugging Kaufman on Twitter but I doubt I'll be able to stop any of you. >_>

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Sakruai himself has said that composers have signed NDAs. This video from GameXplain confirmed it. So it's entirely possible for Jake to have been contacted by Sakurai and then signed an NDA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkkw2SdwsfA

And if composers are signing NDAs, we can assume that any third party/indie developers are under NDAs as well.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d.
But let's not forget that just because a music composer is under an NDA doesn't mean that a character from that series is gonna be playable. Of course in Shantae's case, I don't see why they might add music from her games but not make her playable

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
But let's not forget that just because a music composer is under an NDA doesn't mean that a character from that series is gonna be playable. Of course in Shantae's case, I don't see why they might add music from her games but not make her playable
What if they added some Shovel Knight music? Jake also worked on that game, so he could to be under an NDA for that game's soundtrack aswell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom