• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
smol ****** shantae :p
Ya know, I was getting curious about Shantae. So hey, I shot a message over to WayForward asking how tall our girl is. I mean, we've gotten answers for this kind of stuff before. We know Shantae's about 16 years old and Rottytops smells like cotton candy lip balm.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Why not make her standard special a Fireball or Pike Ball and have her dance be a

Ya know, I was getting curious about Shantae. So hey, I shot a message over to WayForward asking how tall our girl is. I mean, we've gotten answers for this kind of stuff before. We know Shantae's about 16 years old and Rottytops smells like cotton candy lip balm.
That's my favourite smell. She's my favourite everything.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Prior to reading the excerpt from I always thought that they'd use her HGH design with PC proportions, but now I'm not sure, especially since I can't really picture her being shorter than Pit, but rather about the same height.

Also, after thinking about the Daisy hip bump thing, I figured that it might be possible for it to be Jeanne. What do you guys think?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, after thinking about the Daisy hip bump thing, I figured that it might be possible for it to be Jeanne. What do you guys think?
At the end of a dream, I very briefly heard about Jeanne being announced as an echo fighter for Ultimate in the news, but somehow couldn't visualise any of it. So, not even my subconscious is sure about this.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
It'd be interesting to see if the Indivisible design of Shantae could possibly play a role in how tall she could be, even if it's from a different company and not WF?
Though it could be up to WF to make a good Shantae design sheet, which either could have her be tiny and cartoonishly proportioned or made more "realistic" and be sort of a tall character. Maybe Sakurai might prefer one style over the other?

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Why not make her standard special a Fireball or Pike Ball and have her dance be a

My main concern if they’re going for the HGH styled menu, having a directionally controlled UI be mapped to anything aside from the neutral special would be confusing and uneasy to use even if there wasn’t a transformation mapped to that direction

Prior to reading the excerpt from I always thought that they'd use her HGH design with PC proportions, but now I'm not sure, especially since I can't really picture her being shorter than Pit, but rather about the same height.

I think something to take into consideration with her design is her hair whip, it’s at a higher point than her arms so the taller her design, the higher her hair whip would be and how it’d affect her attacking capabilities towards smaller characters

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My main concern if they’re going for the HGH styled menu, having a directionally controlled UI be mapped to anything aside from the neutral special would be confusing and uneasy to use even if there wasn’t a transformation mapped to that direction

I think something to take into consideration with her design is her hair whip, it’s at a higher point than her arms so the taller her design, the higher her hair whip would be and how it’d affect her attacking capabilities towards smaller characters
Yeah I think she should be a bit on the shorter side, not as tall as Pit, but she shoulsn't be chibi small either. Just a good height to make it all work.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I think Luigi's height would be better. Maybe a bit too tall though. I don't know anymore. I'm bored as ****.
Luigi is shorter than Pit IIRC, and barely taller than Mario. I think it's a good comparison

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
What's the size between Pit and Mega Man?
Mario-ish.

It would be perfect size for the Chibi Shantae, but I can't see any other height other than Zelda's height to being perfect.
And by Zelda's height, I meant Twilight Princess' Zelda, though ALBW Zelda could work pretty well, too.
Zelda would be entirely too tall imho, I think Shantae should be short but not chibi size

They're slightly bigger than Mario, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n73NGG6n_iY

I wasn't necessarily talking about proportions, more actual size.
Inkling is taller than I expected!

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
It would be perfect size for the Chibi Shantae, but I can't see any other height other than Zelda's height to being perfect.
And by Zelda's height, I meant Twilight Princess' Zelda, though ALBW Zelda could work pretty well, too.
You were talking about the Indivisible design for Shantae earlier, and yeah I could see that one fitting Zelda's height.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Well, I meant number wise in game. Anyway, I agree with Shantae being short, but not to the point of chibi.
Oh I have no idea in that case. Chibi Shantae would be kinda whack tbh

Staarih

Smash Master
As long as the proportions are okay, I don’t really care what size Shantae is.

And the proportions I’d rather see is those of the official/dialogue/splash arts instead of the chibi seen in usual gameplay. But we’ll see.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

And the proportions I’d rather see is those of the official/dialogue/splash arts instead of the chibi seen in usual gameplay. But we’ll see.
I have a feeling they'd either go with the proportions in Pirate's Curse or Half Genie Hero, since those games were around the time development for Ultimate began, and I think those two sprites are the most well known for Shantae. I feel like it'd be easier to use those sprites than the drawings during the cut scenes, since those are static images

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I still think her portrait art design from HGH would be the perfect fit for this game, not too tall but not too chibi, the proportions on that design (with maybe some minor tweaking) match her sprite better than any other design and we have a official glimpse of what it could look like as a 3D model:

FC295765-B748-4495-8DA7-0D76D7C226A7.jpeg

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I have a feeling they'd either go with the proportions in Pirate's Curse or Half Genie Hero, since those games were around the time development for Ultimate began, and I think those two sprites are the most well known for Shantae. I feel like it'd be easier to use those sprites than the drawings during the cut scenes, since those are static images
That, and the fact that playing as animu Shantae wouldn't be nearly as indicative of the franchise's gameplay when compared to her sprite design. I've always felt that Smash did a good job of mimicking the way a character is played in their own game, when possible.

SmolShantae2k18

AngrySun88

Smash Ace

My thoughts exactly. I think more people are probably familiar with the Pirate's Curse and HGH designs of her so I think that's what Sakurai would likely pull from.

As long as she's not unrealistically proportioned and is playable, I don't really care what design they give her.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
My thoughts exactly. I think more people are probably familiar with the Pirate's Curse and HGH designs of her so I think that's what Sakurai would likely pull from.

As long as she's not unrealistically proportioned and is playable, I don't really care what design they give her.
I can agree to that. Maybe as a little nodback to her older outfit, maybe that could possibly appear as a costume? Also, I half-expect her Nega form to appear as her "dark" costume, ala Link/Toon Link with their Dark Link/Dark Toon Link costumes.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I still think her portrait art design from HGH would be the perfect fit for this game, not too tall but not too chibi, the proportions on that design (with maybe some minor tweaking) match her sprite better than any other design and we have a official glimpse of what it could look like as a 3D model:

View attachment 162869
Remember that Sakurai is also looking for more expressive characters. Shantae's HGH and Pirate's Curse designs are much more expressive than her sprite forms.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
While not perfect, I am partial to this...

Remember that Sakurai is also looking for more expressive characters. Shantae's HGH and Pirate's Curse designs are much more expressive than her sprite forms.
Her sprites are FAR from nonexpressive. I disagree with this entirely, just because her portraits can have more detail (because they're portraits, duh) does not mean that her sprites in any way do not show much expression. They show a ton of emotion!

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That, and the fact that playing as animu Shantae wouldn't be nearly as indicative of the franchise's gameplay when compared to her sprite design. I've always felt that Smash did a good job of mimicking the way a character is played in their own game, when possible.

SmolShantae2k18
Yeah, no need to worry. They'll make Shantae look amazing if she's playable

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Why are her eyes so far apart! And her pants are completely the wrong material! Personally, I'd be fine with any design that came after Pirate's Curse (except runbow). All of those design's proportions would fit in Smash.
That's why I said it's not perfect. Obviously I don't want a 1:1 of this, but it has the general vibe spot on

*look at how weird her hands are in that picture lmao. That's not the point!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, no need to worry. They'll make Shantae look amazing if she's playable
You know, that can really be said about anything that comes into Sakurai's hands. We worry about how she could look or how she would play, but Sakurai is just gonna give us something we didn't even know we wanted and we will love it. At least, that's what I think is likely.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
You know, that can really be said about anything that comes into Sakurai's hands. We worry about how she could look or how she would play, but Sakurai is just gonna give us something we didn't even know we wanted and we will love it. At least, that's what I think is likely.
Yeah, there's no need to worry about how she looks or how she'll play. The only thing to worry about is if she'll be playable, since it's all but guaranteed that she'll be in the game in some form

Top Bottom