• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Let's hope it's not only for Shovel Knight music
Who knows at this point, because we as a collective only started to entertain the thought after September, so we don't have as strong an evidence point as someone like Matt Bozon or WayForward in general being NDA, so I would say that NDA is absolutely certain at this point, then the possibilities of NCCs, then Kaufman's individual NDA as a potential composer/music sharer.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Sakurai: "after they signed their Non-Disclosure Agreements"

Shantae Fans:

But let's not forget that just because a music composer is under an NDA doesn't mean that a character from that series is gonna be playable. Of course in Shantae's case, I don't see why they might add music from her games but not make her playable
While it could be helpful to our case, it doesn't mean that she's in or out. Even if Kaufman is doing some remixes, it doesn't mean Shantae or even Shovel Knight tracks are in or not, since Sakurai didn't restrict composers to doing songs from their franchise(s); an example being that Bomb Rush Blush from Splatoon is done by a Sonic composer (if I recall correctly).

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Sakruai himself has said that composers have signed NDAs. This video from GameXplain confirmed it. So it's entirely possible for Jake to have been contacted by Sakurai and then signed an NDA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkkw2SdwsfA

And if composers are signing NDAs, we can assume that any third party/indie developers are under NDAs as well.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d.
if Jake is under NDA wouldnt that confirm Shantae as playable since I doubt they'd bring him on if he wasn't working his own work in some manner? or his work wasnt being worked on?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
if Jake is under NDA wouldnt that confirm Shantae as playable since I doubt they'd bring him on if he wasn't working his own work in some manner? or his work wasnt being worked on?
All it would confirm is that he's working on Smash, which is pretty cool on it's own. Like I stated in a previous post, it could be Shovel Knight music, perhaps? It doesn't confirm Shantae being playable though, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, Jake has been a part of a lot of Indie game soundtracks. Oftentimes the whole of it.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Something I didn't notice before about Shantae is her pointy ears, not unlike those of a Hylian. Think she can hear the voices of gods?

No one else in that universe has them either... except for a certain she-who-must-not-be-named. Strange.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Something I didn't notice before about Shantae is her pointy ears, not unlike those of a Hylian. Think she can hear the voices of gods?

No one else in that universe has them either... except for a certain she-who-must-not-be-named. Strange.
I think they both them from there Genie heritage.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I think we should see what games the known composers worked on. If they all worked on franchises currently in Smash, that's a good sign. I'm gonna try to see who worked on what, and I'll get back to you.

Also, has anyone on Twitter asked Kaufman about Smash? It can give us a better idea of if he's under an NDA.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
All this talk and all I'm thinking about is poker hands. Like, Shantae's chances of being just all around thrown to the curb like a piece of trash is like trying to get a Royal Flush (A flush straight deck with the highest face cards possible), Whereas her chances of being an assist trophy is sort of like getting maybe a Full House? Not sure how far, but I would go that far to say that could possibly be her chance. Maybe I'm exaggerating with the chances by quite a large margin, but that's me.
His latest works in the Shantae games was on HGH, so it's likely he was composing and making music during the Ballots, though at the same time, he could've worked on Plague of Shadow or even Specter of Torment's OSTs.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I think we should see what games the known composers worked on. If they all worked on franchises currently in Smash, that's a good sign. I'm gonna try to see who worked on what, and I'll get back to you.

Also, has anyone on Twitter asked Kaufman about Smash? It can give us a better idea of if he's under an NDA.
What's his Twitter username?

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

I did, no response yet.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

I don't think pestering Jake on Twitter is the way to go. Leave the poor man be!

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

I'm not sure who she-who-must-not-be-named is, and I'm really curious now! Maybe give me a hint? Is she a pirate? A zombie? A... birdkeeper girl?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'd say she's referring to Holly. Also, Rottytops can't hear the voices of the gods, she is one.
Oh! I didn't think about the pointy-ears part. lol my bad. And yes, Rottytops is a god...dess

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think they both them from there Genie heritage.
Yeah, but Holly's half-genie claims have no evidence beyond that so it's difficult to say for certain. If she was she would have to been alive long before Shantae was conceived... when genies roamed the realm. Becuase she certainly wasn't around as a source of magic during Pirate's Curse.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Unless Jake is working on music for Smash Ult, He's not necessarily in a position to know about Shanate (or Shovel Knight) music in smash, Yes he made the music, But He doesn't own the music. Matt and/or Wayforward does.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Unless Jake is working on music for Smash Ult, He's not necessarily in a position to know about Shanate (or Shovel Knight) music in smash, Yes he made the music, But He doesn't own the music. Matt and/or Wayforward does.
Well, that entirely depends on the contract. Jake probably does own the copyright for his own compositions, and Matt definitely doesn't own them.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Another question that could be asked...

For the sake of argument, let's assume Kaufman is under an NDA.
If it would be for Shovel Knight music and not Shantae music...
Where would that music play in the game?
Since I doubt Shovel Knight has his own stage....

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

There was Golden Sun music in Smash 4, and Isaac nor any Golden Sun stage appeared.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

Though considering most newcomers have one stage dedicated to them. Not all, but how many newcomers have come around that had their own stage made exclusively for them?

You also have a good point there, Dylly.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
There was Golden Sun music in Smash 4, and Isaac nor any Golden Sun stage appeared.
And Fire Emblem music was in Melee on the Temple Stage, which is a Zelda-Stage.
But the music was still fitting for the general theme of the stage.
As were the "WII Channel Songs" for the PictoChat stage.

But I can't see a theme like "Strike the Earth" working for any stage we know so far.
That's just me though...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In Melee the fire emblem music was tied to Zelda stages,
So its not TOO crazy to think they would tie Shantae or SK music to specific stages is the theme is close enough. I do think its unlikely this time around tho.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Here's what I was able to find:

Yoshino Aoki (BOTW Main Theme): Mega Man series and FF15
Yoko Shimomura (Vega Stage from SF): Mario and Luigi, Mario RPG and Xenoblade 1
Yasushi Asada (Brinstar Depths): Castlevania Judgement
Tomoya Othani (Bomb Rush Blush): Sonic series
Maki Kirioka (Noisy Notebok (Snipperclips)): Metal Gear Solid series
Noriuki Iwadare (City Trial (Kirby Air Ride)): Kid Icarus Uprising
Jun Senoue (Mega Man 4 Medley): Sonic series
Nobuko Toda (Snake Eater): Metal Gear Solid series
Takenobu Mitsuyoshi (F-ZERO Medley): A couple of Sonic games, but works for Sega
Yusuke Takahama (Galaga Medley): No Franchise, but worked on multiple songs for Brawl and Smash 4, so Smash*?
ACE (Gang-Plank Galleon): Xenoblade 1 (and 2)
Hiroki Mori****a (Gear Up For… (Fire Emblem Heroes)): Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, Game & Wario (with a BIG emphasis on Fire Emblem))
Shota Kageyama (Yoshi’s Island Main Theme): Pokemon series
Akihiro Honda (Fortess Boss (Super Mario Bros 3): Metal Gear Solid Series

(*Keep in mind that there are other composers besides Takahama that worked on previous Smash games.)

What I've observed about this is that the rule of thumb is to bring composers who are famous from Smash franchises or past games, so if Kaufman is in it, some of his work is more than likely to come with him, remixed or not.

Probably in the miscellaneous stages, like Wrecking Crew and Hanenbow, considering how songs are sorted by franchise.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If anyone is still interested in the heights. I found a picture that might help.I don't know if it's 100% accurate tho, I've heard people say sonic is shorter than mario but he looks taller in the game.

So, I'd say under pit's height somewhere would be alright.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Finally back from Drill. How is everyone doing?

And yes PichuMain PichuMain I also fell for that fake Direct twitter post.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Here's what I was able to find:

Yoshino Aoki (BOTW Main Theme): Mega Man series and FF15
Yoko Shimomura (Vega Stage from SF): Mario and Luigi, Mario RPG and Xenoblade 1
Yasushi Asada (Brinstar Depths): Castlevania Judgement
Tomoya Othani (Bomb Rush Blush): Sonic series
Maki Kirioka (Noisy Notebok (Snipperclips)): Metal Gear Solid series
Noriuki Iwadare (City Trial (Kirby Air Ride)): Kid Icarus Uprising
Jun Senoue (Mega Man 4 Medley): Sonic series
Nobuko Toda (Snake Eater): Metal Gear Solid series
Takenobu Mitsuyoshi (F-ZERO Medley): A couple of Sonic games, but works for Sega
Yusuke Takahama (Galaga Medley): No Franchise, but worked on multiple songs for Brawl and Smash 4, so Smash*?
ACE (Gang-Plank Galleon): Xenoblade 1 (and 2)
Hiroki Mori****a (Gear Up For… (Fire Emblem Heroes)): Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, Game & Wario (with a BIG emphasis on Fire Emblem))
Shota Kageyama (Yoshi’s Island Main Theme): Pokemon series
Akihiro Honda (Fortess Boss (Super Mario Bros 3): Metal Gear Solid Series

(*Keep in mind that there are other composers besides Takahama that worked on previous Smash games.)

What I've observed about this is that the rule of thumb is to bring composers who are famous from Smash franchises or past games, so if Kaufman is in it, some of his work is more than likely to come with him, remixed or not.

Probably in the miscellaneous stages, like Wrecking Crew and Hanenbow, considering how songs are sorted by franchise.
Don't forget that Iwadare is a critical piece of the Ace Attorney composition team too! Some of my favorite songs of all time come from that man.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I was talking about where the Shovel Knight songs would find use.
There is no song that is in a My Music playlist, but isn't used elsewhere.

All songs are either used in a menu or a stage.
So where would Shovel Knight songs find use?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If anyone is still interested in the heights. I found a picture that might help.I don't know if it's 100% accurate tho, I've heard people say sonic is shorter than mario but he looks taller in the game.

So, I'd say under pit's height somewhere would be alright.
Sonic is DEFINTEY taller than Mario.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
In Melee the fire emblem music was tied to Zelda stages,
So its not TOO crazy to think they would tie Shantae or SK music to specific stages is the theme is close enough. I do think its unlikely this time around tho.
However, they didn't use the Fire Emblem song randomly in Melee.
Both Zelda and Fire Emblem follow a medieval theme.
And since Melee was made in only one year (afaik) they doubt they had the time to make a Fire Emblem stage (if they wanted to make one that is).
So I guess they just chose Temple as the stage for the Fire Emblem song, because it still sorta fits Fire Emblem.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sonic is DEFINTEY taller than Mario.
I think so, but other than that the sizes are close to what they are, enough just for a general idea anyway.

btw, Zelda is taller than Link, so I don't know who said zelda's height, but no, that would be way tall :O

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I was talking about where the Shovel Knight songs would find use.
There is no song that is in a My Music playlist, but isn't used elsewhere.

All songs are either used in a menu or a stage.
So where would Shovel Knight songs find use?
Stages that don't have a fighter typically use songs that don't have a fighter. But if Shovel Knight were to be assigned to a stage that did have a figher, I could see it being either the Fire Emblem ones, since they share the medieval theme, or Wily Castle, since Shovel Knight is very Mega Man-esue.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
A Zelda/Mario stage perhaps?
I don't think Shovel Knight meshes well with Mario.
Zelda... maybe?

But since Shovel Knight is purely 8-bit style, I can only see it working with stages following that theme.
Which would either be 8-bit Mario Stages or Dr. Wily Castle.

Stages that don't have a fighter typically use songs that don't have a fighter. But if Shovel Knight were to be assigned to a stage that did have a figher, I could see it being either the Fire Emblem ones, since they share the medieval theme, or Wily Castle, since Shovel Knight is very Mega Man-esue.
From the ones you posted, I can only see Dr. Wily Castle working. And even then, it's quite a stretch for SK-Music, I believe.

Another question worth asking: Did characters, who only appear as AT, ever get any sort of musical representation before in the series?

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I don't think Shovel Knight meshes well with Mario.
Zelda... maybe?

But since Shovel Knight is purely 8-bit style, I can only see it working with stages following that theme.
Which would either be 8-bit Mario Stages or Dr. Wily Castle.
And I can't quite imagine SK-Music working there.

From the ones you posted, I can only see Dr. Wily Castle working. And even then, it's quite a stretch for SK-Music, I believe.

Another question worth asking: Did characters, who only appear as AT, ever get any sort of musical representation before in the series?
Isaac did back in Brawl. As did Little Mac if you count the Famicom Melody in Brawl.

Top Bottom