• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Human Shantae has a lot of moves. The animals? Not so much. Two at the most. It would not be much of a stretch to have them incorporated as normals or a single-use specials. Smashes in particular, have the charging wind-up be a dance.

Pirate gear is a huge grey area as far as representation goes. On one hand Pirate's Curse is pretty much the Bowser's Inside Story of the Shantae series in terms of popularity so it pretty much HAS to be represented in some form... but on the other, is that it is simply not in character for Shantae to use them when she has her magic. Doing so would imply she stole them from Risky, something she'd never do, even to her enemies, for the heck of it.

The only way I see this truly being resolved is to have Shantae use her normal magic dancing skills and have Risky be the one using the the Pirate's Curse-inspired moveset. It's how Wayforward implemented it in Half-Genie Hero, and it demonstrates how the two are foils of each other. Magic vs. technology.
The thing is that you're implying that Smash Shantae has to stay completely true to normal Shantae when many other characters already in don't follow that rule:
Cloud has all his limit breaks and he's still using the Buster Sword?
Ryu uses a variety of moves from many different games in his series.
Captain Falcon is a racer: he doesn't really punch people
Ganon doesn't punch people either.
Zelda never jumps.

I could go on but you get the idea. I think if they blend her Pirate's curse and HGH move sets it wouldn't be the end of the world since the Smash universe is, in essence, an alternate reality where these matchups are possible.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I guess there's not much to say about Shantae right now. But if we did get Shantae in, do you think it's possible to see an echo fighter of Risky Boots? I think it's possible if Shantae uses the move set from Pirate's Curse (not probable though)
Not really, but that gives me an idea. What if they initially think about putting the pirate gear into Shantae's normal attacks, go "no, this can't work" and decide to use the ground work that was done and make Risky to accomodate the pirate gear attacks so that they don't go to waste?

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
The thing is that you're implying that Smash Shantae has to stay completely true to normal Shantae when many other characters already in don't follow that rule:
Cloud has all his limit breaks and he's still using the Buster Sword?
Ryu uses a variety of moves from many different games in his series.
Captain Falcon is a racer: he doesn't really punch people
Gannon doesn't punch people either.
Zelda never jumps.

I could go on but you get the idea. I think if they blend her Pirate's curse and HGH move sets it wouldn't be the end of the world since the Smash universe is, in essence, an alternate reality where these matchups are possible.
YOU SPELLED GANON WRONG! REPORTED!

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I got 4 more hours of Drill time left before I can head home. Hopefully nothing big happens before then.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Not really, but that gives me an idea. What if they initially think about putting the pirate gear into Shantae's normal attacks, go "no, this can't work" and decide to use the ground work that was done and make Risky to accomodate the pirate gear attacks so that they don't go to waste?
So you think that they could have tried the pirate's curse move set, found out that they liked the transformation move set better and then gave the original move set from pirate's curse to Risky Boots? Would that make Risky Boots an echo or a unique fighter? I think that'd make them both unique fighters

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So I actually found a battle with Shantae in SSBCrusade. It's interesting to see a lot of her moves made for a smash game, and you can get an idea of how she could potentially fight:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So you think that they could have tried the pirate's curse move set, found out that they liked the transformation move set better and then gave the original move set from pirate's curse to Risky Boots? Would that make Risky Boots an echo or a unique fighter? I think that'd make them both unique fighters
Unique, yes. I would expect Sakurai to even explain exactly why Risky wouldn't get the Echo designation when explaining the dev history regarding her, for that reason.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I'm actually interested in how Shantae sounds in Japanese? Mainly because I ponder if they're gonna do the Reverse Marth treatment and have Shantae speak English even in Japan or if they have their own Shantae voice actress to do the Japanese voice.

Unique, yes. I would expect Sakurai to even explain exactly why Risky wouldn't get the Echo designation when explaining the dev history regarding her, for that reason.
As much as I would love Shantae to come in, even I would think giving the series two reps would sort of be overkill. Not that I have anything wrong with Risky Boots, but I highly doubt she had as much popularity to back her up as Shantae did during the Ballot.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
As much as I would love Shantae to come in, even I would think giving the series two reps would sort of be overkill. Not that I have anything wrong with Risky Boots, but I highly doubt she had as much popularity to back her up as Shantae did during the Ballot.
...you've double posted TWICE! The audacity!

Also, the voice clips were never translated in any of the non-english speaking countries. Would be interesting to hear what she sounds like in Japanese though.

EDIT: you merged the posts. but trust me this, I'll chase you 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round perdition's flames before I give him up on catching you, James T. Kirk SoupCanMafia!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Does that mean Shield Shulk is useless as well? o_O
Shield Shulk actually does reduce the damage you take, unlike the elephant. Because it's really not meant for offence being slow isn't a big issue. Now tell me how the elephant is supposed to mount an effective offensive, let alone have respectable damage when it most likely cannot combo well with it's slow speed.

Think about it. Shantae doesn't need the pistol because she can shoot fireballs, doesn't need the scmitar or boots because the elephant can both dash and stomp to break things, and doesn't need the cannon because she can use the harpy to fly. That only leaves the hat as something not covered by a transformation or spell.

So I actually found a battle with Shantae in SSBCrusade. It's interesting to see a lot of her moves made for a smash game, and you can get an idea of how she could potentially fight:

Notice how the elephant was barely used at all?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Why do match gameplay videos always have elevator or easy listening music?

It's like, the opposite or something.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
That's exactly how I feel. Risky is great, but if Shantae is in it's only because we got incredibly lucky and getting two unique fighters for a first time appearance of the first Indie represented franchise seems like a bit much.

The only way i could see the Shantae getting two fighters is with an echo and really the only possibilities there are Nega-Shantae (who would be better as a costume really as she doesn't add anything personality wise) or Holly Lingerbean (which would be a stretch given of all the recurring characters she only made one appearance and given that we don't even know if she actually was a half-genie to begin with since all of that could have been a lie. And even if she was a half-genie, it would be a stretch to say she could do everything Shantae could without having a source to back it up.

I think our best bets are Shantae as a fighter, one stage (my vote would go for the bay with Shantae's light house with water surrounding, destructible bridge And Risky's ship shooting cannon balls as a stage hazard) and one assist trophy (either Risky using a partial fighter move set using her pirate gear, or Squid Baron acting as a dual Boss/Assist like Rathalos does. Or Risky assist and Squid Baron as a boss)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was just humouring the possibility, since it's been said that Sakurai is an overachiever.

Although the voice issue is interesting. Granted, Xander Mobus voices character announcements even in Japan, doesn't he? Wouldn't be that strange if Christina Vee's voice clips got kept as well.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Who is this Holly I keep seeing mentioned? I can't recall a character with that name, and I think I'd remember a character with the last name Lingerbean.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I was just humouring the possibility, since it's been said that Sakurai is an overachiever.

Although the voice issue is interesting. Granted, Xander Mobus voices character announcements even in Japan, doesn't he? Wouldn't be that strange if Christina Vee's voice clips got kept as well.
Then again, overkill would also be putting in a crap megaton of Fire Emblem characters. :p
And all the KI enemies in Smash Run is a bit better since Sakurai just finished KI Uprising.
Or even the Kirby-esque level design with Brawl's Subspace Emissary. With Kirby-esque bosses to boot! Again, still better because Sakurai and Kirby are paired like peanut butter and jelly.

Holly is a minor antagonist in Half-Genie Hero, touted as being the Half-Genie from the now-ruined Tassel Town. She had a far less prominent role than we thought, since she was touted as being akin to a foil to Shantae. And while the latter part was true, she still only had a section of the game dedicated to her.

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Who is this Holly I keep seeing mentioned? I can't recall a character with that name, and I think I'd remember a character with the last name Lingerbean.
Memory girl in the desert that tried to take Shantae's place as town-protector so she could feed all of the town people's memories to her memory-eating giant worm. Also really good at making sand castles.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
She's the "rival genie" from Half Genie Hero because Shantae has job security that makes George Jetson look secure.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
She was Shantae's replacement after she got fired from her post as Half-Genie Protector of Scuttle Town.

(why is my grammar so illiterate compared to all of yours. maybe it's because i'm still technically in the larval stages of my life but i really don't know)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That's exactly how I feel. Risky is great, but if Shantae is in it's only because we got incredibly lucky and getting two unique fighters for a first time appearance of the first Indie represented franchise seems like a bit much.

The only way i could see the Shantae getting two fighters is with an echo and really the only possibilities there are Nega-Shantae (who would be better as a costume really as she doesn't add anything personality wise) or Holly Lingerbean (which would be a stretch given of all the recurring characters she only made one appearance and given that we don't even know if she actually was a half-genie to begin with since all of that could have been a lie. And even if she was a half-genie, it would be a stretch to say she could do everything Shantae could without having a source to back it up.

I think our best bets are Shantae as a fighter, one stage (my vote would go for the bay with Shantae's light house with water surrounding, destructible bridge And Risky's ship shooting cannon balls as a stage hazard) and one assist trophy (either Risky using a partial fighter move set using her pirate gear, or Squid Baron acting as a dual Boss/Assist like Rathalos does. Or Risky assist and Squid Baron as a boss)
I know having two reps for a third party seems unlikely, but I just don't see any other way to fully satisfy fans of Pirate's Curse and the other games.

I'm just gonna say that I'm not very impressed by Crusade Shantae at all. It just looks like they tossed in as many things as they could from her games without even thinking of how they'd work well together, and so you get a ton of redundant moves along with mechanics barely worth using, and that's before going into the laughable knockback of her hair whips.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Sorry, I just don't recall anyone named Holly.

the joke is that I don't remember the girl who erases memories.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I don't think Shantae has a shot at DLC because if she's not playable, then she has to be an Assist Trophy.

Cristina Vee has had to play out the same kind of NDA silence regarding Shantae in Smash as WayForward, correct? And she is someone who has already been known to deconfirm those types of questions without a second thought (as long as she is not under this presumed NDA.)

There is no other situation Shantae could have where she has voiced lines than those two roles.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't think Shantae has a shot at DLC because if she's not playable, then she has to be an Assist Trophy.

Cristina Vee has had to play out the same kind of NDA silence regarding Shantae in Smash as WayForward, correct? And she is someone who has already been known to deconfirm those types of questions without a second thought (as long as she is not under this presumed NDA.)

There is no other situation Shantae could have where she has voiced lines than those two roles.
Not really... they could contact her ahead of DLC time and make an agreement, even if they weren't developing Shantae at the time.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Since people were talking about how her transformations would work since I last posted, I thought I'd put my two cents in:
I really can't see Shantae using full-tine transformations like she does in Crusade, considering how hard it would be for the dev team to make multiple movesets for a single fighter that can't even be split into multiple ones like Pokemon Trainer. I would see her acting more like Corrin, who uses his transformations for certain attacks. I feel that this would be much more doable, since the devs would only need to make a model for each TF, instead of animating the fighter morphing from human to their animal form. For a good example of how this would look, I recommend looking up footage of Nega Shantae in Crusade.

As for a second rep, it's either Nega for an echo or Risky for a non-echo. Both are extremely unlikely, even if Shantae gets in, since the only secondary third party rep we got is Richter, who was added to "provide exposure". Nega would also have to contend with other echo candidates like Octoling and Shadow, while Risky would be rendered obsolete if Shantae uses pirate gear, and would be completely outclassed by ballot contenders. I would honestly love to see one of them join though, since we have no true female villains (Wendy isn't her own character and Dark Samus is genderless), and they would be very shocking to see get in.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Since people were talking about how her transformations would work since I last posted, I thought I'd put my two cents in:
I really can't see Shantae using full-tine transformations like she does in Crusade, considering how hard it would be for the dev team to make multiple movesets for a single fighter that can't even be split into multiple ones like Pokemon Trainer. I would see her acting more like Corrin, who uses his transformations for certain attacks. I feel that this would be much more doable, since the devs would only need to make a model for each TF, instead of animating the fighter morphing from human to their animal form. For a good example of how this would look, I recommend looking up footage of Nega Shantae in Crusade..
I would have to agree with you. Having her function like Corrin would make the most sense. One thing that comes to mind is her down air. It would function like Ivysaur's up air from Project m where it shoots her downwards. However, the animation used would be her turning into an elephant. As much as I would like to have her use multiple transformations, I unfortunately would have to say its very unlikely.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I also don't think she'll be DLC. Not just because I think she's either playable or an AT but because her moveset is too complex for the limited resources in the DLC phase.

One of her biggest strengths is also a weakness in terms of programming. She requires the resources available during the base roster's development.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I would have to agree with you. Having her function like Corrin would make the most sense. One thing that comes to mind is her down air. It would function like Ivysaur's up air from Project m where it shoots her downwards. However, the animation used would be her turning into an elephant. As much as I would like to have her use multiple transformations, I unfortunately would have to say its very unlikely.
orrr it could be like several other down airs that send the character downward? Seriously why use an up air example for her down air's trait when there are OTHER down airs to use as a decent example for your comment?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I also don't think she'll be DLC. Not just because I think she's either playable or an AT but because her moveset is too complex for the limited resources in the DLC phase.

One of her biggest strengths is also a weakness in terms of programming. She requires the resources available during the base roster's development.

One of the most complex to control characters with twice as many normals as anyone else and directional inputs no one else has was DLC.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

It depends how much they're going to expend on dlc this time around. And the characters they made weren't uncomplicated, there was quite a bit to some of them. It also depends if they do actually make transformations or not. I don't think it'll be an issue. But again, I'd still rather see her in the base roster.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Another Idea I had is that her Up-B would be Pit's Up-B from Brawl, but she transforms into a harpy.

I personally disagree with the "Lack or resources for DLC" argument, because I remember hearing that Sakurai had to change how the game was coded to implement Ryu's unique mechanics (I don't remember where tho). However, I still don't think she's gonna get in as DLC, because I believe that they are under some NDA, which warrants either a fighter or an AT for the base game.

Literally doesn't involve transforming into an elephant with different hit/hurtboxes.
Another DLC fighter who uses a kind of tranformation is Corrin, and as I said before, I think she'd end up working like him, regardless of wether she gets into the base game or DLC.

Last edited:

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
orrr it could be like several other down airs that send the character downward? Seriously why use an up air example for her down air's trait when there are OTHER down airs to use as a decent example for your comment?
Ivysaur was the first to come to mind. Just because it’s an unconventional up air, doesn’t mean the properties of move that are not of interest. I could have just as easily mentioned Bowser’s down special or the latter half of Dedede’s up special.

Ivysaur came to mind because it’s up air shoots itself downwards.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I just wanna get out how I think they should handle her transformations in her moveset since I have time to talk about this now.

Neutral Special: Transformation Dance, similar to Half-Genie Hero, Shantae dances and activates a selection of transformations around her and must select a direction to transform similar to Shulk’s new Monado Arts activation (lasts for 10-15 sec., down B to cancel out) Each Transformation would have one attack and one special attack.

Forward-Monkey (low damage and more taken, high jump and movement speed, can climb walls)
Attack: Monkey Claw (overhead slash, could easily be used multiple times)
Special: Monkey Bullet (weak but fast dash, slightly slower than Fox Illusion)

Down-Elephant (low speed and jump, powerful knockback potential and less taken)
Attack: Elephant Dash (slow but powerful dash attack)
Special: Elephant Stomp (high knockback)

Back-Spider (double jump allows her to use webbing to pull herself up if a surface is above or on enemies to bounce off them)
Attack: Spider Leg (performs an uppercut with her frontal leg similar to the Bonelegs enemy in HGH, effectively attacks enemies above her)
Special: Spider Venom (continuously deals damage similar to flowers)

Up-Harpy (less traction and very floaty, has multiple jumps)
Attack: Harpy Talon (overhead slash, potential meteor smash)
Special: Harpy Feather (low damage, continuously fire them like Fox's Blaster)

As for the Kirby situation, I have two options, either he just copies the Monkey Hat and uses the Monkey Dash (to be fair, he's never copied a dash attack before) or Kirby could have access to the same menu, but just has animal hats and copies their special moves but they're on the same time limit and Kirby's back to normal after.

I honestly think having the transformations being used for a one and done attack is a huge waste of potential, just because the transformations don't exactly have those exact attributes in her game doesn't mean they couldn't be implemented here to make them more viable in a fighting game, I mean the Monado Arts aren't exactly accurate to Shulk's game either. I think this here could turn Shantae into Smash's equivalent of a Swiss army knife if used effectively, the monkey being a hit-and-run kind of character, the elephant for a tank that specializes in knocking enemies far away and dealing final blows, the spider as either a keep-away or luring enemies into traps type of character and harpy for air dominance.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
I just wanna get out how I think they should handle her transformations in her moveset since I have time to talk about this now.

Neutral Special: Transformation Dance, similar to Half-Genie Hero, Shantae dances and activates a selection of transformations around her and must select a direction to transform similar to Shulk’s new Monado Arts activation (lasts for 10-15 sec., down B to cancel out) Each Transformation would have one attack and one special attack.

Forward-Monkey (low damage and more taken, high jump and movement speed, can climb walls)

Back-Spider (double jump allows her to use webbing to pull herself up if a surface is above or on enemies to bounce off them)
Attack: Spider Leg (performs an uppercut with her frontal leg similar to the Bonelegs enemy in HGH, effectively attacks enemies above her)

As for the Kirby situation, I have two options, either he just copies the Monkey Hat and uses the Monkey Dash (to be fair, he's never copied a dash attack before) or Kirby could have access to the same menu, but just has animal hats and copies their special moves but they're on the same time limit and Kirby's back to normal after.

I honestly think having the transformations being used for a one and done attack is a huge waste of potential, just because the transformations don't exactly have those exact attributes in her game doesn't mean they couldn't be implemented here to make them more viable in a fighting game, I mean the Monado Arts aren't exactly accurate to Shulk's game either. I think this here could turn Shantae into Smash's equivalent of a Swiss army knife if used effectively, the monkey being a hit-and-run kind of character, the elephant for a tank that specializes in knocking enemies far away and dealing final blows, the spider as either a keep-away or luring enemies into traps type of character and harpy for air dominance.
It defenetly would be a HUGE waste of potential, but I’ve for years speculated the likelyhood something like your move set speculation. Don’t get me wrong, your idea is superb but implementing it would take tons of recsources.

Question, do y’all think they would be willing to poor tons of time into making Shantae true to her games despite her being an indie character or do y’all think they may midagate her moveset to something similar or Corrin?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Question, do y’all think they would be willing to poor tons of time into making Shantae true to her games despite her being an indie character or do y’all think they may midagate her moveset to something similar or Corrin?
The thing is, Sakurai has always wanted to keep the characters true to there sources to an extent, and that goes double for third parties. And while it may take more resources, it's not like Shantae would be that expensive to get in the game in the first place.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576

I get what you're saying, but on the other hand the reason I think single attack transformations are OK in Smash is because most cases she LITERALLY has one ability with each transformation.

I'll always stand by my Thoron idea for Shantae's transformations, but no matter which way they did it, I would be super happy just to see that she's in (as long as she didn't get in as a Falcon semi-clone)

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, Sakurai has always wanted to keep the characters true to there sources to an extent, and that goes double for third parties. And while it may take more resources, it's not like Shantae would be that expensive to get in the game in the first place.
Very true, very true. I feel like WayForward would have provided a lot of material and concepts that would have made development easier. Heck, I wouldn’t put it past WayForward to have already created a full moveset when the ballot first started.

D

Deleted member

Very true, very true. I feel like WayForward would have provided a lot of material and concepts that would have made development easier. Heck, I wouldn’t put it past WayForward to have already created a full moveset when the ballot first started.
Oh great the tinfoil hat came on me again! (Throws away hat)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I've said it waaaay earlier in the thread, but I've always found her tranformations to be well suited for Smash attacks rather than specials.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, if Wayforward made potential alts and even a symbol, I have little doubts that the WF team at the very least shot around potential movesets in the work place. And I have little doubt that Matt himself has come up with every possible concept you can imagine. It doesn't mean that they have full control over her moveset, but whenever WF and Sakurai would converse it would likely be a topic brought up.

Top Bottom