• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Please treat leaks as if they are fake by default, even when they're well made. Thankfully Vizard was quick with this one :)
It just makes more sense, since more of them are fake than not.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Push has discredited so many leaks and confirmed them as fake that it honestly impresses me with how quickly he's able to find the flaws in them.
Plot twist: ALL leaks secretly come from Source Gaming so that PushDustin can debunk them and be a hero to the community.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Shantae is probably the easiest popular character from a legal stand point. As Matt (and his wife Erin) own the character Shantae. And with Matt being such a huge fan of nintendo I could not see any reason Matt would demand anything, even money. He's smart enough to know getting in smash would set Shantae for life.

However we don't know what sorta stipulations nintendo could make. Doubt they would demand anything unreasonable.
I'm pretty sure Matt would jump at the chance since he knows how big Smash is and how it would significantly increase Shantae's popularity and exposure. He'd probably let Sakurai use her for free. Considering how vocal they were about #ShantaeForSmash during the Ballot days, I can't imagine Matt or WayForward turning the offer down. It all depends on if Sakurai wants her in or not.

People keep on mentioning that Shantae hasn't appeared in the indie fighting games despite being highly requested. Perhaps one stipulation Nintendo has, if she's in, is that she can't appear in other fighting games besides Smash.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Please treat leaks as if they are fake by default, even when they're well made. Thankfully Vizard was quick with this one :)
It just makes more sense, since more of them are fake than not.
I don't like even seeing them tbh, I want to get new info as Nintendo intendos

Where's that "leaks are dumb" gif?

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
PushDustIn, to the rescue!

I Don't understand how this debunks the leak but I'll take your word for it.

These Frickin leaks are getting too good. They used to be merely wishlists(and many still are) but now they are starting to get tricky to debunk them.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

These Frickin leaks are getting too good. They used to be merely wishlists(and many still are) but now they are starting to get tricky to debunk them.
Leaks have been getting harder to debunk, ever since Artsy Omni's Rayman leak. That was the first quality fake leak, and I do applaud it for making people more wary around them.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Click on the post because there's more than one twitter post for the whole thing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But that was already the King K. Rool supporter's victory song. It has nothing to do with Shantae. Our victory song should just be Dance Through the Danger. It's quite fitting actually.
Just my opinion to boogie
Personally, it would be much more fun to play this:

Although there's always Tunak Tunak Tun.

I'm pretty sure Matt would jump at the chance since he knows how big Smash is and how it would significantly increase Shantae's popularity and exposure. He'd probably let Sakurai use her for free. Considering how vocal they were about #ShantaeForSmash during the Ballot days, I can't imagine Matt or WayForward turning the offer down. It all depends on if Sakurai wants her in or not.

People keep on mentioning that Shantae hasn't appeared in the indie fighting games despite being highly requested. Perhaps one stipulation Nintendo has, if she's in, is that she can't appear in other fighting games besides Smash.
People outside of the thread have little faith in her getting in, yet she actually has the least amount of barriers to go through.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
People outside of the thread have little faith in her getting in, yet she actually has the least amount of barriers to go through.
It depends where you look cuz there's plenty of shantae fans, and other people who also believe she can get in.
Not trying to say there's no hate or doubt, but I think there's less than some people make it out to be.

But might as well vote for her and rater her high in case some people could see differently :D

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Mean, on the bright side, at least BillyBo10K went from "oh, shantae's unlikely because she'd have to face off against shovel knight" to "well now, I think shantae actually deserves to be the fighter more than SK" up to "shantae's got a 50% chance to get in as a fighter". Though the RtC guys are sort of downplaying her role in Nintendo's handheld history, I can understand why they're a bit more cautious with her chances.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Shantae is probably the easiest popular character from a legal stand point. As Matt (and his wife Erin) own the character Shantae. And with Matt being such a huge fan of nintendo I could not see any reason Matt would demand anything, even money. He's smart enough to know getting in smash would set Shantae for life.

However we don't know what sorta stipulations nintendo could make. Doubt they would demand anything unreasonable.
The more I play Shantae games, the more obvious his appreciation towards Nintendo games becomes. They're chock-full of design choices inspired by them: Metroid-style exploration and replay incentives, Zelda-style dungeons that play more like Kid Icarus's, Earthbound's tongue-in-cheek, fourth-wall leaning dialogue, and most recently, a protagonist that dons several different costumes for different roles like Mario.

Half-Genie Hero feels most like a Megaman game on the other hand, though it might be due to Inti-Creates's influence.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's a fun game, give Shantae a new dance exclusive to Smash bros and say how it would fit into her moveset, as a playable character or assist trophy.

I'll go first

MASTER DANCE: Shantae turns into a giant version of her right hand (arm fades out on her bracelet) and Rocket punches across the stage.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
N.I.F.O.F.D Dance: All platforms and items temporarily disappear from play, then turns into a fox and attacks by waveshining.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here's a fun game, give Shantae a new dance exclusive to Smash bros and say how it would fit into her moveset, as a playable character or assist trophy.

I'll go first

MASTER DANCE: Shantae turns into a giant version of her right hand (arm fades out on her bracelet) and Rocket punches across the stage.
In a similar vein to the Tinkerbat Dance, the Primid Dance. With this dance Shantae become a Primid from Subspace and has all of it's moves and items on standby.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868

I'll go first

Can she have a dance where she holds up a sign that says "unplug yo controlla dawg"

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Mean, on the bright side, at least BillyBo10K went from "oh, shantae's unlikely because she'd have to face off against shovel knight" to "well now, I think shantae actually deserves to be the fighter more than SK" up to "shantae's got a 50% chance to get in as a fighter". Though the RtC guys are sort of downplaying her role in Nintendo's handheld history, I can understand why they're a bit more cautious with her chances.
They're typically just flat out wrong most of the time. They gave Takamaru almost a 60 percent chance score.

candysell

Smash Cadet
What do you guys think about this? If so the chairs could mean Karate Joe. Maybe the chairs could mean both of them? Or the Karate Joe picture can be fake.

Just wondering, can you guys see the picture I posted?
Here's the link if you can't
https://imgtc.com/i/gPt5UVq.png

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What do you guys think about this? If so the chairs could mean Karate Joe. Maybe the chairs could mean both of them?

I think it was not to mean Karate Joe. His normal outfit is much more iconic, and the rest of the room does not really match him, unlike the likes of Shantae.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
What do you guys think about this? If so the chairs could mean Karate Joe. Maybe the chairs could mean both of them? Or the Karate Joe picture can be fake.

I'm tired of seeing it tbh. The pose DK and Karate Joe are doing is essentially a trope in Japan. If you watch enough anime you're bound to run into it, complete with the ass scratch as well.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
It depends where you look cuz there's plenty of shantae fans, and other people who also believe she can get in.
Not trying to say there's no hate or doubt, but I think there's less than some people make it out to be.

But might as well vote for her and rater her high in case some people could see differently :D
How I see it there are few stages that newcomers go through for Smash Speculation:

1. The character first gets theorized, people speculate move sets, discuss the probability of inclusion and overall the hype is very high,

2. The hype starts to die down, which is where the naysayers start appearing. Pointing out any and all issues behind their inclusion (legal issues, doesn't thematically fit, "it's too big", etc.) and many people start to adopt that methodology.

3. The character (maybe) gets in by the grace of Mashed Potato Samurai and people stop complaining.

Shantae is right in the middle: past her introduction in the smash ballot and before her (potential) inclusion so it seems natural that many are on the pessimistic spectrum of things. Still doesn't feel good hearing it all but hey that's why this board exists.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
How I see it there are few stages that newcomers go through for Smash Speculation:

1. The character first gets theorized, people speculate move sets, discuss the probability of inclusion and overall the hype is very high,

2. The hype starts to die down, which is where the naysayers start appearing. Pointing out any and all issues behind their inclusion (legal issues, doesn't thematically fit, "it's too big", etc.) and many people start to adopt that methodology.

3. The character (maybe) gets in by the grace of Mashed Potato Samurai and people stop complaining.

Shantae is right in the middle: past her introduction in the smash ballot and before her (potential) inclusion so it seems natural that many are on the pessimistic spectrum of things. Still doesn't feel good hearing it all but hey that's why this board exists.
I am getting serious Ridley deja vu. Most of the arguments against us have been some variation of "I can't see her getting in over x"

Coincidentally, Shantae has beaten Ridley in many of the polls that we know about. I kinda feel like he wasn't a chart topper like we were led to believe from his EXTREMELY VOCAL followers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom