• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I actually want to bring something up...
What impression do you have of WayForward?
Are they strictly business? Or more personal and fan-oriented?

Personally, I got to know them as the latter.
Unlike many other companies, they don't shy away from fan-conversations.
It's true that they can't answer everyone, given how big her fanbase became.
But they always try.

Heck, back during the Half-Genie Hero Kickstarter campaign (I am a backer) I even had a few nice interactions with Voldi Way, the CEO of WayForward.
And he seemed a very friendly and passionate guy. It felt good talking to him. : 3
It didn't last long, but I appreciate the time he took with me. ;)

Also, Matt Bozon has a deviantART account.
And last time I was there, he was responding to comments on his site, whenever he had the time.

Of course, they are a business. They won't ignore that.
But at the same time, they are not very strict about their business and are normally more relaxed, laid-back and forthcoming about things.

Just HGH's Kickstarter Campaign and the final product of the game, should tell you how fan-oriented they are.
5 enemies in the game were created by fans!
There is an entire in-game Art Gallery, dedicated to Fan Art!
Some of the transformations and enemy designs were decided by fans.

In light of this, I just can't imagine them outright ignoring fans, when it comes to Smash and Fighting Games.
Shantae being a highly requested character in those games, but WayForward completely ignoring such high fan demand...
It's not like them at all!
I saw the interactions they had with fans long before that. It contradicts their fan-oriented and open personality.

Last edited:

Tybalt: Herbal One

Smash Cadet
Judging from what I've seen from the kickstarter and their twitter, they seem about 60% fans and 40% buisness as well seeming like nice folk.
Pretty certain that if Shantae is shown in Smash they'll be pretty responsive

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
In light of this, I just can't imagine them outright ignoring fans, when it comes to Smash and Fighting Games.
Shantae being a highly requested character in those games, but WayForward completely ignoring such high fan demand...
I saw the interactions they had with fans long before that. It contradicts their fan-oriented and open personality.
Well say Shantae is in Smash, maybe they're trying to avoid being open minded lest they risk spilling the beans in some way.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I backed the game too and that's why i have it on my Wii U, but when it got a physical Switch release I couldn't turn down the Day One Edition.

I wish I had had more money when the kickstarter was going on. I had only enough to really just back at the "digital copy tier" but I really wish I had that Lenticular Poster and that coin.

But if she gets in Smash then I can at least get an amiibo to have some physical Shantae swag
I wish I had known about the Kickstarter, I would have liked the blue alt color! I'd probably put a fair donation in the game.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I wish I had known about the Kickstarter, I would have liked the blue alt color! I'd probably put a fair donation in the game.
Yeah Shantae and Mighty No. 9 running side by side introduced SO MANY people to Kickstarter that never even knew about it before and I was one of them.

And just like you for Shantae, I regretted not knowing about Kickstarter for series like Shovel Knight and A Hat in Time after learning about it too late

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Yeah Shantae and Mighty No. 9 running side by side introduced SO MANY people to Kickstarter that never even knew about it before and I was one of them.

And just like you for Shantae, I regretted not knowing about Kickstarter for series like Shovel Knight and A Hat in Time after learning about it too late
Hat in time is my new indie darling. I haven't even played it, I just know it'll be fantastic.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Here at work at my base waiting to pay for my meal.

Still want Shantae for Smash more and more each day lol.
#ShantaeForSmash

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hat in time is my new indie darling. I haven't even played it, I just know it'll be fantastic.
As someone who has played I can tell you you're not wrong.

Imagine if Mario 64/Sunshine only had 40 things but each one felt like it had 3 stars worth of effort put into crafting it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well seems like you guys don't slow down even overnight haha.

So still no word on the new direct time, AND still no update to the smash site. they for sure had more then 1 character planned to announce at that direct.

D

Deleted member

Someone stole cookies and I had creepy dreams about Rottytops. SoupCanMafia, Teeb147 and LaPeteNoire were all banned for double posting. People are talking about the Kickstarter campaign for HGH now.
What don’t ban teeb I like that guy

D

Deleted member

It's ok, the cookies, the money will go back into making more cookies.
Also, there's fake cookies, so we make double the money, and you have to gamble on if you're getting a real one or not. Magus you have an advantage here if you're learning illusion magic. just sayin'. still gonna cost you for the cookie tho.

Cookie

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965

zferolie

Smash Hero
Someone stole cookies and I had creepy dreams about Rottytops. SoupCanMafia, Teeb147 and LaPeteNoire were all banned for double posting. People are talking about the Kickstarter campaign for HGH now.
You can get banned for double posting? Harsh

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What would you want as a Shantae Stage?

Suggestions

Shantae's Lighthouse: The lighthouse itself action as a big wall with platforms at the side to aid in jumping over it, includes destrucable bridges.
Tassle Town: Under Siege by Risky Boots of course.
Sequin Land: Stage representative of the overworld sections of the original and Risky's Revenge
Risky's Ship: Larger than the Zelda Pirate Ship with Tinkerbats and the ship's weaponry as stage hazards.
Mermaid Factory: Unique stage hazard animations where characters get half eaten by fish maybe?

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Daisy and Shantae side by side would be my dream come true : my two favs together !
It would also make sense because they are both energetic and come from sandy places ^^

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
no you can't
Ok i'm confused now.

Oh, have you guys seen this?

A new nintendo game on Mobile devices maybe?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Suggestions

Shantae's Lighthouse: The lighthouse itself action as a big wall with platforms at the side to aid in jumping over it, includes destrucable bridges.
Sequin Land: Stage representative of the overworld sections of the original and Risky's Revenge
Risky's Ship: Larger than the Zelda Pirate Ship with Tinkerbats and the ship's weaponry as stage hazards.
Mermaid Factory: Unique stage hazard animations where characters get half eaten by fish maybe?
Tassle Town is a ruin in the desert, I think you meant Scuttle Town. Otherwise, all of the other ideas are cool. Maybe a stage set during the races at Cape Crustacean?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Suggestions

Scuttle town is probably the best pick. Risky's ship may be too much like the wind waker stage, and that would have been my second bet

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I actually want to bring something up...
What impression do you have of WayForward?
Are they strictly business? Or more personal and fan-oriented?

Personally, I got to know them as the latter.
Unlike many other companies, they don't shy away from fan-conversations.
It's true that they can't answer everyone, given how big her fanbase became.
But they always try.

Heck, back during the Half-Genie Hero Kickstarter campaign (I am a backer) I even had a few nice interactions with Voldi Way, the CEO of WayForward.
And he seemed a very friendly and passionate guy. It felt good talking to him. : 3
It didn't last long, but I appreciate the time he took with me. ;)

Also, Matt Bozon has a deviantART account.
And last time I was there, he was responding to comments on his site, whenever he had the time.

Of course, they are a business. They won't ignore that.
But at the same time, they are not very strict about their business and are normally more relaxed, laid-back and forthcoming about things.

Just HGH's Kickstarter Campaign and the final product of the game, should tell you how fan-oriented they are.
5 enemies in the game were created by fans!
There is an entire in-game Art Gallery, dedicated to Fan Art!
Some of the transformations and enemy designs were decided by fans.

My impression of WayForward is that they're a very forward company, pun fully intended. They love sharing fanart and answering fan questions whenever they can. They're one of the few companies I've seen who are that dedicated to their fans.

So seeing them act so out of character since Ultimate was announced makes me think that something is up with them and why I think the NDA theory still holds up. It's also odd that they're not putting Shantae in other indie fighting games when she's so highly requested. Lots of things are adding up with how strange they've been acting recently.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Tassle Town is a ruin in the desert, I think you meant Scuttle Town. Otherwise, all of the other ideas are cool. Maybe a stage set during the races at Cape Crustacean?
Isn't scuttle town usually on or under fire?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My impression of WayForward is that they're a very forward company, pun fully intended. They love sharing fanart and answering fan questions whenever they can. They're one of the few companies I've seen who are that dedicated to their fans.

So seeing them act so out of character since Ultimate was announced makes me think that something is up with them and why I think the NDA theory still holds up. It's also odd that they're not putting Shantae in other indie fighting games when she's so highly requested. Lots of things are adding up with how strange they've been acting recently.
Your right if she was an assist then why wouldn’t she be in these fighting games where she was highly requested plus the roster was finalized before these had came out.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Wow. I came back to read about police and giant mushrooms. What happened here?
Everyone was banned for double posting. I cried myself to sleep and had an nsfw dream about Rottytops, the police are currently knocking on everyone's doors because LaPeteNoire's bio-luminescent mushroom house doesn't have any and somebody stole all of the cookies.

Last edited:

VizardJeffhog

Smash Cadet
NNID
VizardJeffhog
Personally I am feeling that we could expect more than one character reveal, if only because of how the Smash Direct ended. It'd be a lot more fun seeing the panoramic art piece update with several newcomers at once than with just the one, wouldn't you say?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I don't understand what's happening in this thread. Something about mushroom cookies? Ewww.

Top Bottom