• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I wouldn't see Shantae as being a boss character. Even Sakurai wouldn't be that obtuse about her character. XP
Like, here's the main thing. You either have obvious Tron Bad Guys™, wild animals, or other constructs from other guys including Tron Bad Guy™ or general villains as a whole. Shantae fits none of them.
Then again, Pirate Queen's a thing, but that's beside the point.
I wasn't serious about that..... That would be a WEIRD turn of events.

Now watch- we got Ridley, but now Isaac, Geno, Shantae, Waddle Dee and Banjo-Kazooie are all Giant boss characters because of size issues.

D

Deleted member

It’s nice to see so much positivity in here and getting back together so I made this evedence for shantae as a fighter rather than jammies mode the art retweet and other stuff I found more stuff have a look... https://imgur.com/gallery/AitDa3s

(Also put the coisidence photos when your done looking at it I love those photos lol)

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
It’s nice to see so much positivity in here and getting back together so I made this evedence for shantae as a fighter rather than jammies mode the art retweet and other stuff I found more stuff have a look... https://imgur.com/gallery/AitDa3s

(Also put the coisidence photos when your done looking at it I love those photos lol)
I never noticed the Zelda thing! That's very interesting. Probably means nothing though...

Swade

Smash Apprentice

Hmm didn't notice that pose at all. Good find though.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Btw guys, this whole day had had us go up 15 pages. 15 pages! And nothing really of note happened in Smash news, we were just left to our own devices. And while some may say not all of that discussion was good, I think that today will be an important day in the Shantae thread, as we looked through our beliefs and reevaluated our evidence. We looked at the past some more and shared our hopes. We got new members and made new discoveries. Today was a pretty good day.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Might as well set up a tin foil hat stand as well. Stuff would sell like hot cakes.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace

I never noticed the gravy boat in the background before. That seems odd to say the least.

How can one character have so much circumstantial evidence?

NukeA6

Smash Master

The Alohan Exeggutor stage is from Pilot Wings. For now, the biggest evidence is the Smash Blog image because Daisy and Dark Samus look like they're interacting with someone invisible. I'm sure the big space near the Samuses belong to somebody else though.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is another fan artwork if shantae does make it into Smash Ultimate.

Made by Canetoonist

D

Deleted member

Thank you all for being so kind rather than the ones I wanted to show on iFunny plus someone said no to my evidence but well see who’s laughthing
:ultkrool:

I’m going to bed.night night!

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Hmm... After watching an old Dunkey video about him doing a trailer analysis, I'm now suddenly thinking "oh, what if Shantae was definitively featured as the Indie Assist Trophy", and we had this discussion of "If Shantae's gonna come in as a fighter, who would her assist trophy partner be", now after the Dunkey video, I would imagine the Troupple King being that Assist Trophy should have Shovel Knight gotten on as a newcomer.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Hmm... After watching an old Dunkey video about him doing a trailer analysis, I'm now suddenly thinking "oh, what if Shantae was definitively featured as the Indie Assist Trophy", and we had this discussion of "If Shantae's gonna come in as a fighter, who would her assist trophy partner be", now after the Dunkey video, I would imagine the Troupple King being that Assist Trophy should have Shovel Knight gotten on as a newcomer.
A Dunkey video made you actually do some serious thinking. wut

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think Shantae's awesome.
It wouldn't surprise me if she makes it in. (And of course I'm prepared in the case she doesnt.)

I like the hype building for the game too. I want to enjoy the game once it comes out, and enjoy as many characters as I can. I feel like I'd enjoy Shantae quite a bit. I can imagine other characters too. I think Impa would be fun, even as a sheik echo, so I can't wait to see what else there's going to be, especially if they're characters I'd enjoy :)

I think it's cool you're all part of it to some degree, and I just want to say that even if we're just fellow smash and game fans, and sometimes we have disagreements or worse, that I'm happy you're all hype for the game as well as some characters. It's sad when people are not feeling as good, and aren't able to enjoy everything games have to offer, as well as the community. I think being able to bond over something we mutually love is important, even if it's just a small role in our life, or whatever.

I also think it's cool that some people are learning to care about others, including myself, and I rather like occasions to do that as well as party (about something or in general). I mean, I think we'll be doing a lot more partying if/when shantae gets in, but I'm just saying, I like feeling like chatting can be close to a hangout of sorts. As much as it can I guess, hah.

So, cheers, to us and good stuff in life... i guess :p <3

Last edited:

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
I might as well throw in my hat for her. I have never played her games, but as a character she always seemed like a Nintendo all-star to me. (Imagine my surprise when I found out she wasn't!)

In my opinion, we need more dark skin girls in Smash, and considering that Sakurai went with Modern Daisy without the tan, and how Inkling got two dark skin alts, its only fitting that Shantae, Impa, and Elma make the cut to balance it out.

I would love to play as her. Bring it on next week Sakurai! ~ Afro

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I might as well throw in my hat for her. I have never played her games, but as a character she always seemed like a Nintendo all-star to me. (Imagine my surprise when I found out she wasn't!)

In my opinion, we need more dark skin girls in Smash, and considering that Sakurai went with Modern Daisy without the tan, and how Inkling got two dark skin alts, its only fitting that Shantae, Impa, and Elma make the cut to balance it out.

I would love to play as her. Bring it on next week Sakurai! ~ Afro
It's not a lack of dark skinned girls, it's just a lack of girls in general!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I have always wanted to bring this up. So many indies nowadays are emulating that classic Nintendo style(Heck, some big names are doing it), but they have never felt like they could be apart of the Nintendo family. Even Shovel Knight, who is an icon in this front, never truley felt like he could have been a Nintendo character. That is not the case for Shantae and it's so hard to put my finger on exactly why she feels like a Nintendo character at heart.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
You know, I have always wanted to bring this up. So many indies nowadays are emulating that classic Nintendo style(Heck, some big names are doing it), but they have never felt like they could be apart of the Nintendo family. Even Shovel Knight, who is an icon in this front, never truley felt like he could have been a Nintendo character. That is not the case for Shantae and it's so hard to put my finger on exactly why she feels like a Nintendo character at heart.
Because she actually was on a Nintendo console before any other indies? :p

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Was this covered already? Apparently the Famitsu cover going around was the already released issue, and it went over the 900 songs bit.
Then there's this:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

So there may not be a rush to upload the direct after all

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I think it's got a lot to do with her lightheartedness and bright colors creating an aesthetic that's very much in line with something like Mario. However, I think the key word here is Emulating- many of these indies are attempting to pull from the classic Nintendo style, but they wind up feeling like off-brand knockoffs in a way. Shantae is just doing her own thing- she isn't trying to emulate anything, and winds up feeling much more like a genuine Nintendo character than most other Indies. Her humor and lightheartedness definitely play into this (She coincidentally has very similar humor to Kid Icarus Uprising, but it doesn't feel like an intentional thing), but I think her uniqueness is a big factor in why she feels this way.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
I'm just gonna sneak this in here like I always do. I made this a while ago but lost motivation to really finish it. It's in the spoiler tag because of how big the image is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom