• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'd be fine with some Western characters making it in to the game, but I don't want the roster to be over saturated with characters like Dragonborn or Master Chief because that would just ruin the spirit of Smash for me. Characters like Rayman or Banjo I'm perfectly alright with though.
I get what you're saying, and if Sakurai did that, I'd get used to it and accept it, but personally I wouldn't like it at first. Part of me just doesn't feel like Western franchises should have playable characters. If Banjo and Rayman get added, people are gonna start asking for more and more Western characters, even thought they already are, and I just don't want the roster to end up like PlayStation All Stars. Know what I mean?

Shantae is like the most anime looking western franchise though. I actually did believe it was Japanese for a while before actually looking into it.
I thought it was Japanese at first as well, which is why I kind of really want her in, because she looks anime and would kind of fit in with the other characters. But a lot of western characters just don't really fit with the rest of the roster, which is why I hope characters like Crash, Spyro, and Sora don't get in

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I'm just an otaku who only likes Japanese games (for the most part, aside from a select few American games), and it just wouldn't feel like Smash Bros to me if characters from western franchises were made playable, since we've never had that before. But if Sakurai did that, I'd accept it.

No, because they don't represent a Western franchise. They're from Donkey Kong, which is Japanese, not Western. I'm talking about characters that represent American and Western games
K Rool and Diddy may be from a Japanese franchise, but they are Western characters.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
K Rool and Diddy may be from a Japanese franchise, but they are Western characters.
True, but they look like they actually fit with the rest of the roster, because of the fact that they're from DK. I just personally don't think characters like Crash or Spyro or Sora would fit in the roster with the other characters

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
I'm just an otaku who only likes Japanese games (for the most part, aside from a select few American games), and it just wouldn't feel like Smash Bros to me if characters from western franchises were made playable, since we've never had that before. But if Sakurai did that, I'd accept it.
I really don't understand this logic at all, and definitely don't agree that a character would make it "not feel like Smash" simply because they were created by Westerners. I know you say that Diddy, Dark Samus, and K. Rool don't count because their series already existed, but in all honesty DK Country and Metroid Prime are very different series than their originals, especially DK Country which is more or less just a new series using DK's name.

And yet those characters don't feel out of place because they still feel like Nintendo characters. This isn't Doom Guy or Master Chief that we're talking about, Banjo and Shantae are still very Nintendo-y feeling characters.

All that being said, I do respect your opinion even though I disagree, and appreciate you voicing your concerns.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shantae is like the most anime looking western franchise though. I actually did believe it was Japanese for a while before actually looking into it.
Many of WF's IPs and games are like that. Hell, their Wendy and Sabrina games on GBC even used the same sprite style Shantae and Xtreme Sports did, while otherwise using Western artwork on the box arts.

Meanwhile, other people want Solaire from Dark Souls, a Japanese franchise that looks decidedly Western. It's fun how it all works out, doesn't it?

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
True, but they look like they actually fit with the rest of the roster, because of the fact that they're from DK. I just personally don't think characters like Crash or Spyro or Sora would fit in the roster with the other characters
Well, I wouldn't worry about any of them making it in. Crash and Spyro were still technically dead franchises when Sakurai was picking characters and there's no way they can get both Square and Disney to play ball to get Sora in this game. Which is fine by me. None of those characters have had a big presence on Nintendo systems. Shantae had a huge presence. Even a cover on Nintendo Power.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I get what you're saying, and if Sakurai did that, I'd get used to it and accept it, but personally I wouldn't like it at first. Part of me just doesn't feel like Western franchises should have playable characters. If Banjo and Rayman get added, people are gonna start asking for more and more Western characters, even thought they already are, and I just don't want the roster to end up like PlayStation All Stars. Know what I mean?
I certainly understand your perspective. It's the same reason I absolutely do not want Goku in Smash ever, cause then people are gonna be clamoring for Naruto, then Sailor Moon and then eventually it'll lose its identidy. To be blunt I'm still very iffy on Cloud's inclusion even because he has no real Nintendo history aside from a minor role in Kingdom Hearts.

That said, I don't mind western developers getting in at all if they do have history with Nintendo. I'd totally want characters like Doom Guy in if they have that Nintendo connection there. For me it's less "Is this Japanese?" and more "Is this reasonably connected to Nintendo?"

Sora might be owned by Disney, and has the soul of a Disney character for sure, but his design is 100% Nomura style. He's about as anime as you can get, why do you think he wouldn't fit in with other anime-esque looking people?

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It looks like we just caught up to the Geno thread. It's impressive how many supporters keep coming here and how fast this thread grows.

Last edited:

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
It looks like we just caught up to the Geno thread. It's impressive how many supporters keep coming here and how fast this thread grows.
It really is amazing.

While I'm not delusional enough to think it means we have nearly as many supporters as Geno, what it does mean to me is that the fans here are really passionate, which I love, as well as there being more than people seem to think.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Man if it turns out Shantae is in and also revealed in that direct, think how crazy today wouldve been.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
You say that (get ready for a rant)... BUT LOOK AT F***ING SIMON! Tell me how in any way he fits in with anyone on that roster. If he can get in, you at least shouldn’t knock Crash’s chances, especially when he was more popular at the time of the ballot, and still is! Imo Crash should’ve been put in instead of Simon. Yeah I said it, grab torches and pitchforks if you don’t agree, that’s just something I had to get out there. His goofy out there style fits so perfectly along with everyone moreso than Simon, who obviously stands out for looking like a generic barbarian! (Whew, I’m done)

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
You say that (get ready for a rant)... BUT LOOK AT F***ING SIMON! Tell me how in any way he fits in with anyone on that roster. If he can get in, you at least shouldn’t knock Crash’s chances, especially when he was more popular at the time of the ballot, and still is! Imo Crash should’ve been put in instead of Simon. Yeah I said it, grab torches and pitchforks if you don’t agree, that’s just something I had to get out there. His goofy out there style fits so perfectly along with everyone moreso than Simon, who obviously stands out for looking like a generic barbarian! (Whew, I’m done)
There's also Solid Snake. He doesn't fit in at all.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Maybe I'm just being narrow-minded, but I guess it's because Castlevania is a Japanese franchise. I apologize if I triggered you, I'm just trying to express something that's been on my mind for a while

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't recall Crash being popular at all during the ballot, or at least, not enough to determine that popularity compared to Simon. And the ballot was well before the new Crash games came. I will say though, this does not seem like the appropriate place to vent your angers about Simon. I think he fits in rather well among Smash, not design wise, but in his nature an an NES icon and a co founder of a whole genre.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Great. I caused another controversy and I don’t even feel bad about it due to that being my 100% honest opinion. Richter I’ll give a pass because at least he looks like he can fit in. Simon gets no pass though for looking a clone of Conan the Barbarian.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Great. I caused another controversy and I don’t even feel bad about it due to that being my 100% honest opinion. Richter I’ll give a pass because at least he looks like he can fit in. Simon gets no pass though for looking a clone of Conan the Barbarian.
To be fair, Simon has never had a good design.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
And the tinfoil hat is back on... but seriously, with all the circumstantial evidence we have, it would be a shame if at least some of it wasn’t concrete considering there’s ten times the amount of evidence than for skull kid or Isaac. For skull kid there’s this fan made rule about only getting one AT per game from the series and the chairs/couch/pillow (even though I think that’s hinting Shantae or Rayman, if anyone at all). For Isaac there is literally one reference being an image of the rathalos assist trophy, which only some people will get what exactly it is that it’s referencing.

Last edited:

Shark X

Smash Lord
So, uh, right around the time the Direct was supposed to happen, Half Genie Hero Ultimate edition went on sale for 30% off only on the Switch.
https://twitter.com/okpatati/status/1037812218186878978?s=20
I have no idea if this has been talked about yet or not, I'm still getting caught up on that fake image leak that looked cool earlier.
...Son of a *****...I just bought it at full price last week, after selling Mario Kart for it due to still being jobless...I officially now 100% unsupport Shantae! >.<

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
So, uh, right around the time the Direct was supposed to happen, Half Genie Hero Ultimate edition went on sale for 30% off only on the Switch.
https://twitter.com/okpatati/status/1037812218186878978?s=20
I have no idea if this has been talked about yet or not, I'm still getting caught up on that fake image leak that looked cool earlier.
At this point, we REALLY need a Shantae version of that Always Sunny image, because she is the queen of crazy circumstantial evidence that would sound ridiculous by itself but sounds too crazy to actually have happened when put together.

Last edited:

Swade

Smash Apprentice

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
That direct was and still is Shantae’s time to shine. Absolutely nothing says otherwise. I still don’t get why people seem to lump Isaac in there with her... he doesn’t even have much circumstantial evidence saying this is the time. Not saying he won’t be in, just saying now probably isn’t the time they planned to reveal him.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
That direct was and still is Shantae’s time to shine. Absolutely nothing says otherwise. I still don’t get why people seem to lump Isaac in there with her... he doesn’t even have much circumstantial evidence saying this is the time. Not saying he won’t be in, just saying now probably isn’t the time they planned to reveal him.
I've actually become a huge Issac fan recently, almost exclusively because of how awesome the Issac thread has been to us, and am really hoping for somehow a double reveal of them both.

Even though that is incredibly unlikely.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I will not have you spit on the Simon Barbarian Warrior design.
I like the design(I was not the one who said it), I just noted that the idea of Simon's design being bad touched a nerve. I assume your a big fan of Castlevania?

Top Bottom