• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I could see Nega Shantae being Shantae’s Echo Fighter, I feel that could legitimately work in all honesty.
Well obviously. Their moves are 100% identical, just element-swapped (and disregarding boss-only strats).

Problem is, Nega-Shantae is literally a part of Shantae. Her genie half. Dark Pit & Dark Samus are spearate entities. If Shantae is out & about fighting with her genie magic, how do you explain Nega-Shantae's presence?

******* earthquakes ruining everything. sorry doublepost
When you feel how Risky felt about her volcano erupting at the end of Jammies mode.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
At this point, we REALLY need a Shantae version of that Always Sunny image, because she is the queen of crazy circumstantial evidence that would sound ridiculous by itself but sounds too crazy to actually have happened when put together.
shantaespeculation.png
Oh don't worry. It exists.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I wrote WayForward a heartfelt message on Twitter. Honestly, I want her in Smash. And if she doesn't make it, I want them to know that Shantae is a lot more special of a series than people think. I just think Shantae and WayForward haven't reached their full potential because of being an indie and struggling with finances. But other than that, Shantae will always be iconic just because of her stance in the gaming industry. She started out as a hidden gem obscure genie on the dying GameBoy Color. Now she's on her 4th game in full HD and is one of the top requested characters for one of the biggest crossover video games in the world.

Shantae is amazing no matter how many poeple may disagree. She desrves to be playable in Smash just for overcoming so many obstacles and becoming a video game underdog who is finally making it to the top.

#ShantaeforSmash

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Btw guys, we just passed by Geno in replies. Before we were just a little bit below, but now we have truly reached the milestone.

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
So, uh, right around the time the Direct was supposed to happen, Half Genie Hero Ultimate edition went on sale for 30% off only on the Switch.
https://twitter.com/okpatati/status/1037812218186878978?s=20
I have no idea if this has been talked about yet or not, I'm still getting caught up on that fake image leak that looked cool earlier.
I'm confused by this "Sale" cuz when I look at Half Genire Heor ultimate edition on the switch Eshop its 30$ which is even less than this amazon sale price....

As for western vs eastern characters and characters that do or do not fit into smash I also find that there are certain characters that I don't think would fit. For whatever reason I've never wanted Crash or Spyro, I just feel like they don't fit with the smash crowd. I don't have any reasoning for that, it's just my feeling, it's total bias, I never really liked Crash or Spyro all that much. On top of that I feel the same way about Banjo Kazooie, never played that game, it doesn't mean anything to me and he just looks a goofy bear with imo not that great of a design. (Sorry yall, I know people love this guy but I just never played it)

The main thing about Shantae for me that makes me feel better about her conclusion is just that she does have that history with Nintendo, the reason she gets the nod over say Shovel Knight or other western characters is because she is heavily inspired by Nintendo and has always been a reaction to Nintendo on some level, and she did appear on the cover of Nintendo power.

What I'm trying to say is that by including Shantae Nintendo would be acknowledging the love and admiration for Nintendo games from generations of fans outside of Japan, and I think Shantae herself embodies that sentiment more than any other western character besides Shovel Knight (In addition to having the right combination of popularity, history and being part of a fairly large franchise). That's why I think she fits as opposed to Spyro or Crash, or other big western characters, like Masterchief, or Sub Zero or Doom Guy or something. Those are popular and iconic characters for sure but they aren't really connected to Nintendo outside of just also being video games.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Well obviously. Their moves are 100% identical, just element-swapped (and disregarding boss-only strats).

Problem is, Nega-Shantae is literally a part of Shantae. Her genie half. Dark Pit & Dark Samus are spearate entities. If Shantae is out & about fighting with her genie magic, how do you explain Nega-Shantae's presence?

When you feel how Risky felt about her volcano erupting at the end of Jammies mode.
Well, this game does allow you to have eight of the same characters in the one match. Lore doesn't matter that much in Smash. What about Sheik and Zelda?

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
As for western vs eastern characters and characters that do or do not fit into smash I also find that there are certain characters that I don't think would fit. For whatever reason I've never wanted Crash or Spyro, I just feel like they don't fit with the smash crowd. I don't have any reasoning for that, it's just my feeling, it's total bias, I never really liked Crash or Spyro all that much. On top of that I feel the same way about Banjo Kazooie, never played that game, it doesn't mean anything to me and he just looks a goofy bear with imo not that great of a design. (Sorry yall, I know people love this guy but I just never played it)
Prepare to be accused of not having a childhood...

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I like the design(I was not the one who said it), I just noted that the idea of Simon's design being bad touched a nerve. I assume your a big fan of Castlevania?
Ehh kinda. Ive played the Super Castlevania IV and SotN and I love em.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I think the point is that Simon’s design takes a hardcore Castlevania fan to like.
Or one isn't a fan of the more recent anime style design.

Also, Nintendo DID shoot themselves in the foot by delaying the Direct. They released a Mega Man 11 demo which was likely to be announced during the Direct. Square just announced Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition HD for the Switch, obviously meant to be a Direct announcement.

And on topic, would anyone be upset if the Smash version of Shantae were based on the artwork they did for Blaster Master Zero?
BM0Shantae.png

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Ehh kinda. Ive played the Super Castlevania IV and SotN and I love em.
Everyone has and will always have opinions. I just happen to dislike Simon’s design, however, even not having played castlevania, Richter’s design actually looked pretty good to me and not even knowing who he was I was ok with his inclusion.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Also, Nintendo DID shoot themselves in the foot by delaying the Direct. They released a Mega Man 11 demo which was likely to be announced during the Direct. Square just announced Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition HD for the Switch, obviously meant to be a Direct announcement.

And on topic, would anyone be upset if the Smash version of Shantae were based on the artwork they did for Blaster Master Zero?
View attachment 162294
I didn't even consider that design, but I think it would be great!

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused by this "Sale" cuz when I look at Half Genire Heor ultimate edition on the switch Eshop its 30$ which is even less than this amazon sale price....

The main thing about Shantae for me that makes me feel better about her conclusion is just that she does have that history with Nintendo, the reason she gets the nod over say Shovel Knight or other western characters is because she is heavily inspired by Nintendo and has always been a reaction to Nintendo on some level, and she did appear on the cover of Nintendo power.

What I'm trying to say is that by including Shantae Nintendo would be acknowledging the love and admiration for Nintendo games from generations of fans outside of Japan, and I think Shantae herself embodies that sentiment more than any other western character besides Shovel Knight (In addition to having the right combination of popularity, history and being part of a fairly large franchise). That's why I think she fits as opposed to Spyro or Crash, or other big western characters, like Masterchief, or Sub Zero or Doom Guy or something. Those are popular and iconic characters for sure but they aren't really connected to Nintendo outside of just also being video games.
The only one I would disagree with you with is Doom Guy. He`s been on the SNES, N64 and the Switch and is an iconic figure for FPS shooters. He's not gonna get in because of the intense gore in his games but if Bayonetta can get in I feel like Doom Guy has hit the qualifications needed for Smash.

EDIT: I also disagree with you on Banjo but that's neither here or there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 162294
I'd be down for it. It meshes well with the overall design of Shantae so I wouldn't object if they based it on that.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350

View attachment 162294
100% on board

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 162294
I'd like it. It's super pretty and though not an exact match to the series art style, it's close enough that I'd be OK with it.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
For anybody interested in how fast we exploded, here's a graph (spaced apart every two months):

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
So... is there anyone else I may of missed that needs to be on the supporter list? If I’ve gone by anyone recently, my apologies: I ended up feeling exhausted a few hours after I last added supporters and I didn’t get back on to check for others.
I keep seeing this, but ignore it. What is the significance of being on the list, may I ask?

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d

So I'mma put my tinfoil hat on for a sec, does Matt Bozon usually retweet art that has the a "Shantae for Smash" tag or does that get avoided too?

'cause if he doesn't usually, he totally just did and I had a mini heart attack

sfsretweet.png

Mod Edit: Image put in spoilers due to its nature being a little risq-eeeeeeh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom