• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A media-only post is treated as spam because the important part isn't just the image/video/tweet alone, it's explaining what it means. It's a matter of context.

Also, yes, I did spoiler the twitter post earlier due to being a little risque. Nothing rules breaking, but the position is enough that putting it under a spoiler would be a good idea for a PG-13 site.

Feel free to ask more questions. :)

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
i wouldnt use the 30% off as "evidence" Amazon seemingly randomly puts things on sale, If it was the Eshop then there might be something there.
I think it would be more likely for a 3rd party seller like Amazon to have planned out this sale in advance in their algorithms to correlate with the marketing team from Nintendo. Nintendo can just as easily not flip the switch to trigger their post-Direct eshop sales, so I doubt they'd ever make that kind of blunder so as to tease a character for Smash like that. Basically the point is that once this is all planned out in advance it becomes difficult to near impossible for Nintendo to stop 3rd party sellers from doing things that they choreographed in advance.

Of course, the opposite could also be the case. I am not a member of Nintendo or any marketing team for the third parties so I have no idea for sure what actually happens behind the scene. The timing seems a bit too suspicious to just be a coincidence.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
A media-only post is treated as spam because the important part isn't just the image/video/tweet alone, it's explaining what it means. It's a matter of context.
But if I'm replying to a post, why isn't the included quote of the person I'm replying to enough context?

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I had to check and Daisy did in fact make her first appearance on the Gameboy so to make a friendly gesture with Shantae who also started her career on there as well makes a ton of sense. Best friends forever pals, the Gameboy gals.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be more likely for a 3rd party seller like Amazon to have planned out this sale in advance in their algorithms to correlate with the marketing team from Nintendo. Nintendo can just as easily not flip the switch to trigger their post-Direct eshop sales, so I doubt they'd ever make that kind of blunder so as to tease a character for Smash like that. Basically the point is that once this is all planned out in advance it becomes difficult to near impossible for Nintendo to stop 3rd party sellers from doing things that they choreographed in advance.

Of course, the opposite could also be the case. I am not a member of Nintendo or any marketing team for the third parties so I have no idea for sure what actually happens behind the scene. The timing seems a bit too suspicious to just be a coincidence.
I'm very confused...

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I had to check and Daisy did in fact make her first appearance on the Gameboy so to make a friendly gesture with Shantae who also started her career on there as well makes a ton of sense. Best friends forever pals, the Gameboy gals.
Hahaha wow! I never even considered that but it would make perfect sense and be a great nod towards both their heritages. Now I want this to come true even more than before.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
That would be one of the sweetest acts ever. One of the very first Gameboy characters meeting one of the very last Gameboy Color characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But if I'm replying to a post, why isn't the included quote of the person I'm replying to enough context?
That's because it also falls under another key rule(that we once in a while don't enforce in unique situations); You cannot actually post a reply on any thread alone unless it has a minimum of 10 characters(letters). Thus, replying with a media-only post circumvents this rule. If exceptions are made, it's usually because they user asked for a very clear thing and an answer is being given. You can say something as simple as "Here you go." to avoid it being a spam message by the rules alone.

Keep in mind that's why moderators are still humans, we can be lenient and don't act like robots that don't look at context of the situation as well. We care about figuring out the reason a reply might not follow the rules to a T, but also may be okay sometimes. Otherwise the place would be unbearable if the rules were so hard-enforced that a lot of pointless warnings/infractions were given out for the sake of it. Mods don't have a quota to meet and only do what's necessary at best. And we make errors too, of course. In fact, we are fallible, and it's good that users reply back to the Warning/Infraction PM to state their case. You know how many forget to honestly add a little text, or their net cut out before they could add it, or are on mobile, or simply forgot to edit a post or ask for a merge. And that's easy to resolve for us because we appreciate constructive feedback. :)

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
...****. I actually want this to be real.

Thanks a lot, pal!

D

Deleted member

I can see what your getting at. this delayed Direct has thrown alot of Nintendo out of whack, Mega Man 11 Demo dropped, but (as far as i can tell) we missed a Smash Blog update.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
That's because it also falls under another key rule(that we once in a while don't enforce in unique situations); You cannot actually post a reply on any thread alone unless it has a minimum of 10 characters(letters). Thus, replying with a media-only post circumvents this rule. If exceptions are made, it's usually because they user asked for a very clear thing and an answer is being given. You can say something as simple as "Here you go." to avoid it being a spam message by the rules alone.
Whatever you need to justify it, I guess. But if there was one rule that I believe should go, it's that one. I really just find it ridiculous and the on-off moderation of said rule also make it stand out as simply unneeded. The basis the rule stands on is shaky at best. It also being classified as 'spamming' only confuses me more But hey, rules are rules, right...

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I agree. I'm not one to join debates or conflicts but pic only posts should be fine. That's just my opinion.

Anyway, so the Shantae x Daisy theory is plausible to many of you as well? Anyone is disagreement or care to play Devil's advocate?

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I can see what your getting at. this delayed Direct has thrown alot of Nintendo out of whack, Mega Man 11 Demo dropped, but (as far as i can tell) we missed a Smash Blog update.
I think that means there was going to be at least one new character revealed during the Direct, otherwise they probably would have updated the Smash Blog by now. The update would have been about the new character(s).

I can't imagine they'll delay it for more than a week due to the possibility of more leaks coming out and other news dropping as a result of time sensitive announcements.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Whatever you need to justify it, I guess. But if there was one rule that I believe should go, it's that one. I really just find it ridiculous and the on-off moderation of said rule also make it stand out as simply unneeded. The basis the rule stands on is shaky at best. But hey, rules are rules, right...
Well, if people are trying to circumvent the forum's own rules by literally using a quote to "have enough letters to post", it's hardly shaky. It's abuse of the forum's system. And there's no tangible way to code it so the markup between the quotes would suddenly count as nothing. It's too hard to even try and program.

So we enforce that because an important part about spam rules is that it's not meant to be a Computer just enforcing it(like the autocensor does), but a human seeing the issue with the post. If you're not allowed to post below 10 characters in any single post, why should quoting be an exception? That just gets around the rule(which it's still a rule and always was, not just because of how the forum is programmed), which doesn't help create constructive and interesting discussion, a big reason why the limit of 10 characters exist as is. The fact you can post a media-only post in the first place is an issue in itself. But again, coding is too hard to realistically work with to make anything but the rules making it clear as a viable option.

Thank you for explaining your point, though.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Yeah, missing the Smash blog update pretty much confirms new information would have been revealed today as a part of the Direct. The Mega Man demo being released is one of the only reasons I'm even considering that the Amazon sale for Shantae means anything. It shows that Nintendo's plans don't correlate completely with other companies and there's gaps info can come through.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Well, if people are trying to circumvent the forum's own rules by literally using a quote to "have enough letters to post", it's hardly shaky. It's abuse of the forum's system. And there's no tangible way to code it so the markup between the quotes would suddenly count as nothing. It's too hard to even try and program.

So we enforce that because an important part about spam rules is that it's not meant to be a Computer just enforcing it(like the autocensor does), but a human seeing the issue with the post. If you're not allowed to post below 10 characters in any single post, why should quoting be an exception? That just gets around the rule(which it's still a rule and always was, not just because of how the forum is programmed), which doesn't help create constructive and interesting discussion, a big reason why the limit of 10 characters exist as is. The fact you can post a media-only post in the first place is an issue in itself. But again, coding is too hard to realistically work with to make anything but the rules making it clear as a viable option.

Thank you for explaining your point, though.
Wait, that's an autocensor?! I kept censoring my own swear words in fear that I'd do a no no hahaha!

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Can I just say... Shantae makes for excellent Meme potential.

I really want a Shantae angry face meme that just says "Source!?". I'd use that on so many sites. Lmao.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wait, that's an autocensor?! I kept censoring my own swear words in fear that I'd do a no no hahaha!
Yeah, just let the swear words be censored by posting them properly. If they aren't censored, they're not meant to be. The word Bastardized isn't a swear. But if you remove the "ized" part, it becomes one. Even though some words have legit uses, it's often used as a swear. You get the idea.

So if you post a video or image containing a swear, it's important it's censored within the video/image or a warning is given. You can modify any image, so a little MSPaint/etc. works wonders.

(◔_◔) whatever you say
It's actually why the spam rule exists. Ignoring the actual character limit on posts, anyway. Just clarifying that. I understand you don't agree with it, and that's fair.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I thought people were saying she was 16 years old, just because her first game was released 16 years ago. Did Wayforward confirm that she was this age?
Yeah, that's her actual age in the games, well, at least in Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse. That's right, in the first game, she was a 15 year old. I think she may be 16 in HGH, though...?

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's her actual age in the games, well, at least in Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse. That's right, in the first game, she was a 15 year old. I think she may be 16 in HGH, though...?
I thought she was immortal!?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I thought she was immortal!?
Don’t worry, video game characters will always look the same age regardless of actual age. Have you seen Ratchet (I’m pretty sure he somehow got younger after CiT) or Mario (Isn’t he like at least 40 by now?)?

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Maybe she ages twice as slow as a normal human. So she should really be...

32 years old. Huh.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
We don’t know how being half-genie would affect her aging process, but it seems like she ages normally if some of her interactions with Mimic and her friends are any indication
If my memory serves me correctly, at one point in HGH, Bolo mentions their childhood together. I'd say she has the same lifespan as all of the other humans.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
To answer an earlier topic:

We have the rule against image only posts because nine times out of ten, they do not add to the discussion and take up space rather than generate discussion. Instead of complicating the issue by saying "image only posts are ok in situation A and not situation B", we made it easier by requiring written substance to posts with images. This cuts back on spam. If we allowed image only posts, there would likely be threads full of "discussion" using images. Not to mention those threads would suffer from horrible lag.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
So, this is what I'm noticing. Any Tweet that is only about Shantae for Smash is ignored. Any Tweet that may possibly mention Shantae for Smash but also mentions something else is Liked or Retweeted by WayForward or Matt Bozon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/StudiosEdwards/status/1037777358781116417 (Matt Bozon Retweeted this image).

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ushimimi/status/1036791665329991680 (WayForward likes this Tweet around September 3rd).

https://mobile.twitter.com/WayForward/status/1037872178912317440 (Shantae for Smash is brought up but no comment).

https://mobile.twitter.com/WayForward/status/1034967628043808768 (Shantae for Smash is mentioned more than enough times for them to see yet they're ignored).

NDA could still very well heavily be in effect. Not once have they commented about it since the ending of the ballot.
Here are some other tweets that raise some Red Flags, IMO:

https://twitter.com/dantie_dragon/status/1036312362456739840 (WF liked a fan-made palette swap of SSBU Zelda with Shantae's colors)

https://twitter.com/z32o/status/1024835799911550977 https://twitter.com/DVberrytan/status/1024827499392458763 (WF liked a set of tweets having to do with Jammies mode, saying that she should be in Smash)

https://twitter.com/ddengart/status/1018535475982807041 (WF liked Two Tweets, both with Smash Related Hashtags)

https://twitter.com/TaylorSwitch64/status/1018306990668419072 (This is a Smash Tweet. WF liked it.)

https://twitter.com/zerrazoid/status/1006558708799811585 (PC sprites in HGH style with stuff about Smash; WF liked it.)

https://twitter.com/AnsweredElk113/status/1006905548137287680 (Tweet advocating Shantae and Lilac for Smash)

And there are more...

I'm pretty sure this strict NDA we've been talking about is a lie. If what we thought about their "radio silence" was true, WF would be steering completely clear of these tweets, but they're not.

If she was a fighter, her NDA would be much stricter, so my verdict is that she's going to be an Assist Trophy at best. (I REALLY Hope I'm wrong.)

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman

https://twitter.com/dantie_dragon/status/1036312362456739840 (WF liked a fan-made palette swap of SSBU Zelda with Shantae's colors)

https://twitter.com/z32o/status/1024835799911550977 https://twitter.com/DVberrytan/status/1024827499392458763 (WF liked a set of tweets having to do with Jammies mode, saying that she should be in Smash)

https://twitter.com/ddengart/status/1018535475982807041 (WF liked Two Tweets, both with Smash Related Hashtags)

https://twitter.com/TaylorSwitch64/status/1018306990668419072 (This is a Smash Tweet. WF liked it.)

https://twitter.com/zerrazoid/status/1006558708799811585 (PC sprites in HGH style with stuff about Smash; WF liked it.)

https://twitter.com/AnsweredElk113/status/1006905548137287680 (Tweet advocating Shantae and Lilac for Smash)

And there are more...

I'm pretty sure this strict NDA we've been talking about is a lie. If what we thought about their "radio silence" was true, WF would be steering completely clear of these tweets, but they're not.

If she was a fighter, her NDA would be much stricter, so my verdict is that she's going to be an Assist Trophy at best. (I REALLY Hope I'm wrong.)
A lot of those are art related though. And they have still only liked those Tweets. Never fully saying anything about Smash directly. There's definitely an NDA going on.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

And there are more...

Theres nothing saying they can't retweet a tweet with hasthtags and stuff related to smash.

Top Bottom