• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Today's the day, guys.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, I find it very interesting that Nintendo acknowledged the series being entirely on the Switch, when prior to this they haven't said a single peep whatsoever, not even on Partner Showcases.

That said, seeing how inconsistent LRG is with sending pre-orders in a quick fashion, I'll just wait for the aftermarket deal for this one. At least it should be way easier than getting an original non-reprint copy. Which somehow became easier than getting a mint copy of Ghosts 'N Goblins on GBC, yeesh.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So should we really read too much into nintendo themselves hosting this video? Like why should there be a history of shantae... unless they want people to know of her for smash

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, WF play by their terms when revealing news. Still, surprised of Nintendo showcasing a video for all of the shantae games in one console.

To me, just a marketing commercial for advertisment. If it also means something fans are requesting for a certain invitation, I'm open for it.

Staarih

Smash Master
So should we really read too much into nintendo themselves hosting this video? Like why should there be a history of shantae... unless they want people to know of her for smash
Not everything has to do with Smash. All the Shantae games on the Switch surely gives Nintendo some $$$ as well, so I feel like it's just a neat callback to the history of Shantae + all the games being on the system + promotion.

I do love seeing Nintendo give Shantae attention like this though, and that can only be good thing in the long run.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have honestly no idea what to make of this, but WF has definitely retweeted the history vid post in question (because of course they would).

I'd like to think it's to prep people up for the forthcoming artbook in June. That is, if Udon doesn't focus on their current hobby too much...

1619114098585.jpeg

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Not everything has to do with Smash. All the Shantae games on the Switch surely gives Nintendo some $$$ as well, so I feel like it's just a neat callback to the history of Shantae + all the games being on the system + promotion.

I do love seeing Nintendo give Shantae attention like this though, and that can only be good thing in the long run.
shush, let me have fun.

zferolie

Smash Hero

Oh i know, i just enjoy putting on my tin foil hat and bringing out the pin board

I have honestly no idea what to make of this, but WF has definitely retweeted the history vid post in question (because of course they would).

I'd like to think it's to prep people up for the forthcoming artbook in June. That is, if Udon doesn't focus on their current hobby too much...

View attachment 312388
Right i dont think i ever ordered that udon art book...

As for pin board, has then there been an edit of that white board from office with shantae for smash?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So far, I just find the whole occurrence weird. Up to this point, we went through several Directs, Indie Worlds and Partner Showcase Minis with WF going out of their way not to advertise Shantae or anything else of theirs on them, yet suddenly NOA posts a video ad for Shantae GBC's rerelease.

I took it for granted that Shantae wouldn't need help from any big companies, so I don't know what to think anymore.

Oh i know, i just enjoy putting on my tin foil hat and bringing out the pin board

Right i dont think i ever ordered that udon art book...

As for pin board, has then there been an edit of that white board from office with shantae for smash?
Nah, but we do have a custom drawing of that type for Rayman's thread.

Maybe someone should draw that for Shantae, if asked nicely.

On second thought, have it be about Zapple, she's the one who does conspiracy thinking stuff.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Okay, a bit of a frustration that I need answered: how do I use items in the original Shantae?

Because I have Potions equipped, but I don't know how to use them.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So reading the comments (alongside many stupid stupid replies as usual…) in today's Nintendo post about the Shantae series being complete on Switch…
Someone made me realize something, and I know I might be probably super late on this and you guys talked about it already many pages ago…

It might sound like a reach, but I do honestly wonder if the reason why they didn't use the first game's artwork it's because she was gonna make use of it on her potential inclusion, since DLC fighters in Ultimate seem so far to be using artworks of their first appearances. Same thing with Risky, they have that first game's artwork of her available.

Or was it just because they felt like promoting her in Smash by using her latest version of artworks?…

I guess it could be either case, but I'm curious what you guys think, if you haven't already talked about its justification.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Okay, what the actual hell is going on here?

Because I've seen sources claim that using items is "Up B" and it's not working; all that happens is Shantae jumps up.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Okay, so I figured it out (no thanks to the game itself) and having beat the first dungeon, I have to say: if this were my first Shantae game...it would definitely have not been that good a first impression so far, because there are certain aspects that, compared to how they are in the later games, have aged like milk.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Okay, what the actual hell is going on here?

Because I've seen sources claim that using items is "Up B" and it's not working; all that happens is Shantae jumps up.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Okay, so I figured it out (no thanks to the game itself) and having beat the first dungeon, I have to say: if this were my first Shantae game...it would definitely have not been that good a first impression so far, because there are certain aspects that, compared to how they are in the later games, have aged like milk.
Almost nothing on the GBC has aged well lol, specially when obviously compared to recent entries of whichever series you're looking at. The impressive things about the first Shantae, imo, are how they made the music possible, and the sprite work and animations. Most GBC games gameplay were… rough, to say the least. I think my favorite games on it where the Zelda Oracles games, if anything else.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
It was Shantae's first adventure, so a lot of people would complain for the controls and how each command worked. Of course, that game pushed the GBC to the absolute limit as the system itself was being replaced by the GBA.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's fine, they were working things out at the time. Also, Capcom loved screen crunch for their published Game Boy games at the time, so imagine playing Ghosts N Goblins that way.

That said, I'm sure that Xtreme Sports would be enjoyed more, so I hope they announce specifics for its rerelease soon.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So far, I just find the whole occurrence weird. Up to this point, we went through several Directs, Indie Worlds and Partner Showcase Minis with WF going out of their way not to advertise Shantae or anything else of theirs on them, yet suddenly NOA posts a video ad for Shantae GBC's rerelease.

I took it for granted that Shantae wouldn't need help from any big companies, so I don't know what to think anymore.

Nah, but we do have a custom drawing of that type for Rayman's thread.

Maybe someone should draw that for Shantae, if asked nicely.

On second thought, have it be about Zapple, she's the one who does conspiracy thinking stuff.
Pretty sure Half-Genie Hero for Switch was highlighted in one of the Switch's first directs, and the launch trailer for Seven Sirens ended up on Nintendo's YouTube channel very soon after Wayforward showed it off.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pretty sure Half-Genie Hero for Switch was highlighted in one of the Switch's first directs, and the launch trailer for Seven Sirens ended up on Nintendo's YouTube channel very soon after Wayforward showed it off.
So yeah, pretty damn rare. I dunno, for an indie series, they don't bring much attention to it very often (and I'm certain the HGH direct appearance may have been helped by that game's Kickstarter campaign), and when they do it's usually quietly.

The most coverage that was given outside of those were a strategy for the first game and a cover feature for PC in Nintendo Power, before the Nindies movement kicked in.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So yeah, pretty damn rare. I dunno, for an indie series, they don't bring much attention to it very often (and I'm certain the HGH direct appearance may have been helped by that game's Kickstarter campaign), and when they do it's usually quietly.

The most coverage that was given outside of those were a strategy for the first game and a cover feature for PC in Nintendo Power, before the Nindies movement kicked in.
And also being in rotation with Shovel Knight on the 3DS eshop banner for indie titles. Look, it's clear that Nintendo respects Wayforward as a developer and the roots of their flagship franchise (and by extension it's fanbase) on Nintendo platforms, but that also means they respect Wayforward's decisions to do things their way. Perhaps because their free spirits are reminiscent of their own approach in many ways? I mean come on, a game like Vitamin Connection is not something you see come out of a non-Nintendo studio often.

On another note, has anyone here noticed that Asha in Monster World has released (in Japan only) on the exact same day as Shantae's own classic entry?

Edit: And so did Smelter, an indie throwback to Actraiser. April 22nd, 2021 ended up being quite the retro landmark.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Somebody at Nintendo sure seems to like promoting Shantae, that's for sure.
Well, it could be like the Wal-Mart Canada Twitter account where they were rooting for Geno and Crash. I wouldn't put too much thought into these official Twitter accounts since it's likely just a employee shouting out whether than the whole company.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So reading the comments (alongside many stupid stupid replies as usual…) in today's Nintendo post about the Shantae series being complete on Switch…
Someone made me realize something, and I know I might be probably super late on this and you guys talked about it already many pages ago…

It might sound like a reach, but I do honestly wonder if the reason why they didn't use the first game's artwork it's because she was gonna make use of it on her potential inclusion, since DLC fighters in Ultimate seem so far to be using artworks of their first appearances. Same thing with Risky, they have that first game's artwork of her available.

Or was it just because they felt like promoting her in Smash by using her latest version of artworks?…

I guess it could be either case, but I'm curious what you guys think, if you haven't already talked about its justification.
Looking through the art gallery available in the Switch version of Shantae does show that full art for Sky, Bolo and Rottytops exist for the era unlike what I previously thought, but that still leaves Mimic unaccounted for, and Sky in particular actually has completely different legwear that is not only misleading for today, but may actually cause issues with CERO, that gap puts even pre-censored Palutena's dress gap to shame.

Contrary to what some may think, I think they value consistency in the art moreso than grabbing the oldest art possible. There's only really differences when the characters come from different eras or specific matching art doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Looking through the art gallery available in the Switch version of Shantae does show that full art for Sky, Bolo and Rottytops exist for the era unlike what I previously thought, but that still leaves Mimic unaccounted for, and Sky in particular actually has completely different legwear that is not only misleading for today, but may actually cause issues with CERO, that gap puts even pre-censored Palutena's dress gap to shame.

I doubt that one would be an issue for CERO. Azura's spirit is literally showing underwear a bit just like Sky is, and they let that in. It's the same thing.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177

Contrary to what some may think, I think they value consistency in the art moreso than grabbing the oldest art possible. There's only really differences when the characters come from different eras or specific matching art doesn't exist.
They'd just end up using artwork of her from either Half-Genie Hero or Seven Sirens.

Dukefire

Smash Master
From my experience so far, need to get used to the flow and how to deal damage when attacking in the air. Also, the controls will need some time as the attack/running is either Y or A button, Dancing is the X button, and Jumping is the the B button.

Other then that, I may have the courage and effort to complete the game for the first time. (Didn't finish it on my 3ds, embarrassing yes.)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

You love to see it.
Is that why the attack button is mapped to A instead of B by default in this version?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

You love to see it.
It makes me wonder if Shantae on the SNES was only in it's conspect stages or if it ever got to development and there's a SNES prototype out there.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Ha jokes on all of you I got the collector's version of ALL the games. even Pirate's Curse.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd stick with the collector's edition of Shantae GBC. Maybe the ones for Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse Switch too, but anything else would be standard. (though I do own Pirate's Curse 3DS and HGH Ultimate Edition Switch's standard version).

On an unrelated note, there's another indie Mother successor coming soon, and this one's inspired by fairy tales. Fittingly, Europeans are making it.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...dertale-inspired_rpg_coming_to_switch_in_2022

Last edited:
Top Bottom