• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Just for the hell of it, this is my favorite GBC Shantae drawing.
Honestly, I hope the original Shantae artwork is her fighter spirit.

Sure the actual fighter can take all the design cues from the later games, but that redesign of the original doesn't sit right with me. Much like the fact none of the Pokemon spirits in Smash use their original Ken Sugimori art.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I actually love the artwork for the original Shantae and wish they used that style a little more.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
What is or are your favorite fan model/s of Shantae out there? Mine really isn't Rafaknight's unlike most people consider their favorite… because to me is the face feels far away from relatable to any of the actual game art styles…

For me, my favorite models I've seen out there so far, would be aldo-vargas's model, and zy0n7's model.

Aldo sadly didn't make a version with her original outfit, but just seeing the body proportions and the face, are near perfection of Half Genie Hero style and personally that's how I wish the model looked in Smash…
View attachment 311472

Meanwhile the other model I really liked is zy0n7's, who did a great approach towards Pirate's Curse design (but if I had to pick between the two, I would still go with HGH style, personally).
View attachment 311473
You can try and commission aldo to make a model in her original outfit.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Honestly, I hope the original Shantae artwork is her fighter spirit.

Sure the actual fighter can take all the design cues from the later games, but that redesign of the original doesn't sit right with me. Much like the fact none of the Pokemon spirits in Smash use their original Ken Sugimori art.
What about all the other characters besides Risky? They don't have complete GBC art that I'm aware of, and it would clash a lot if they used modern art except her. I think it's far more likely they will just use Seven Sirens art for everyone, and would fit the trend of updated fighter spirits taking more dynamic poses.

And I'll never understand what people see in beanpole waistlines.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
You can try and commission aldo to make a model in her original outfit.
I actually just contacted him about it last night! He said he already had in mind to do it but that he was ok If I really wanted to pay him to make it happen sooner, so I told him yes. Apparently this month his hands are full, but he said that next month he would work on it, so I will just mail him again next month to make it happen 🤞

What about all the other characters besides Risky? They don't have complete GBC art that I'm aware of, and it would clash a lot if they used modern art except her. I think it's far more likely they will just use Seven Sirens art for everyone, and would fit the trend of updated fighter spirits taking more dynamic poses.

Yeah since they already have Risky and Shantae in the HGH/SS style, that's just what they are gonna use.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman

And I'll never understand what people see in beanpole waistlines.
No, that's not at all where I'm getting.

Not only did later games effectively refine the designs, the spirits would also be very limited and Sky would practically be unrecognizable outside of Wrench.

I just don't want the cover design swept under a rug.

Or the guide book illustrations we've yet to see for that matter. It's like if Sega rereleased the original Sonic cartridge but redesigned it to look more the Sonic Adventures mold, just because him and tails were pudgy and Eggman was literally egg shaped on the original.

It's rewriting history and the potential nostalgia factor.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Sugimori art locked behind rights issues because lol Pokémon Company?

With how much WF has liberty over their own stuff, they'd surely pull out their back catalog for some art to use for a spirit board.

In the meantime, I'm not so much concerned about that, I want to see that blasted art book finally get released exactly two months after Shantae GBC's rerelease. It's been delayed more than long enough and it's getting silly at this point.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If looking back at the previous artwork, the only characters that had a GBC artwork was Shantae and Risky. The other members did had their own and updated looks starting at the DSi.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Honestly getting the character will be a miracle as it is, I couldn't care less which art style they use for the spirits in the end, in the end spirits is the last thing people end caring about anyway since they don't use them afterwards when playing with other people. They would pick whichever style they deem more appropriate for Smash, or by developer's choice even (Wayforward). As much as I would like classic artworks, I still love the new styles just as much, so I'm fine with whichever. I'm just gonna be grateful we got the most important thing in the end, the fighter.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly getting the character will be a miracle as it is, I couldn't care less which art style they use for the spirits in the end, in the end spirits is the last thing people end caring about anyway since they don't use them afterwards when playing with other people. They would pick whichever style they deem more appropriate for Smash, or by developer's choice even (Wayforward). As much as I would like classic artworks, I still love the new styles just as much, so I'm fine with whichever. I'm just gonna be grateful we got the most important thing in the end, the fighter.
Besides, the use of DLC spirit art is inconsistent anyway. Even Dragon Quest got a mix between older drawings and new ones for that spirit board. At this point being concerned about it would just be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I couldn't tell you how frustrating it is to put up with the needs of some around here.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah, just don't go bonkers if the last two challengers (assuming no future FP DLC) isn't what we wanted.View attachment 311658
Only people who think their characters are locks would react like that. In my case, I'm already satisfied with what we've gotten in this game. I got ridley, banjo, sephiroth, some veterans back that I liked… and Terry who I never imagined I would care or enjoy so much. Personally I'm just wishing for whatever else more that I like while the game isn't over yet, lol

Last edited:

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
Only people who think their characters are locks would react like that. In my case, I'm already satisfied with what we've gotten in this game. I got ridley, banjo, sephiroth, some veterans back that I liked… and Terry who I never imagined I would care or enjoy so much. Personally I'm just wishing for whatever else more that I like while the game isn't over yet, lol
Exactly, I think most people generally know that their MWs aren't certain, let alone a lock. There's nothing wrong with having the hope.

My MWs are Shantae and Phoenix Wright, even if I know their chances are abysmal since Nintendo's the ones picking out the FP2 roster, I don't stop hoping for them.

I mean we've been surprised before. No one could have seen Sephiroth coming, and Pyra/Mythra is EXACTLY what I wanted to see from a Xenoblade rep, so you never know.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but it's good news.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Exactly, I think most people generally know that their MWs aren't certain, let alone a lock. There's nothing wrong with having the hope.

My MWs are Shantae and Phoenix Wright, even if I know their chances are abysmal since Nintendo's the ones picking out the FP2 roster, I don't stop hoping for them.

I mean we've been surprised before. No one could have seen Sephiroth coming, and Pyra/Mythra is EXACTLY what I wanted to see from a Xenoblade rep, so you never know.
I've had multiple versions of my wishlist since before pass 2 started and funnily enough sephiroth was in the first version of my wishlists haha, what are the odds…

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but it's good news.
Beat me to it.

Now all that's left is the unveiling for Xtreme Sports' rerelease/reprint and the absurdly overdue Art of Shantae artbook.

I've had multiple versions of my wishlist since before pass 2 started and funnily enough sephiroth was in the first version of my wishlists haha, what are the odds…
When you shoot everywhere, you're eventually bound to hit something. I too vouched for Seph once, he only came when I ended up completely forgetting about him. So maybe if I completely forget about Shantae getting in Smash...

Of course, there are those that are wanting to see the salt reaction.
View attachment 311683
Just ignore them, there's more important things to pay attention to in life. I have no interest in any of this Vaudevillian drama, and neither should anyone else in here.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I personally prefer the “animated in the smash style” trailers when it’s a surprise who the character is. I think it’s more interesting when you already know it’s Smash but the buildup is to who the character is rather than what the game is. And because I have a guilty pleasure of looking at reactions to smash reveals, and the Pyra/Mythra one was actually kind of boring since people saw “not actual gameplay footage” and IMMEDIATELY starting screaming about smash (even though it doesn’t actually mean anything since... ANY game puts that with footage that isn’t in-engine). But when it came to ARMS, we already knew ARMS was happening, so having it be in their comic-art style was super fun. Joker got away with it for being the first one, but now people are calling the surprise way too often.

Oh it’s been mentioned on this thread for a while but Shantae would have next to no issue on the “good boy and girl” front. First off, neither of their spirits are edited. Which is already a big point in their favor.

But second is when you look into the context of Sakurai’s statement beyond just the joke. Smash’s content is initially rated to meet CERO standard, not ESRB. And in Japan, Smash Umtimate’s CERO eating is A. That’s the lowest rating. And even back in Smash 4, in his Famitsu column, Sakurai mentioned that one of the new things he had to consider with the lower age rating was skirts.
In Melee and Brawl, you could look under Peach and Zelda's skirts - tame with tights and bloomers, but that’s still not allowed in A rated games. Which is why Peach now has a void, in addition to the Wonder Pink trophy having a void and Palutena’s robes changing design slightly to cover more.

It’s why we can have workout-gear Samus and Mythra with tights but not Mai. Her outfit, without major alterations, would be too easy to... look up. And while cleavage isn’t quite as severe, it’s still something more scrutinized at this rating. And Mai is just as open up front.

Shantae’s wearing pants! The only potential issue she could come across would be if she just had to cover up a bit more chest... but a change that small sounds like something Wayforward would happily sign off on as it’s not as iconic to the character as Mai’s stance is to her. And Shantae’s design changes a bit each game anyway!
I remembered your message here from some pages back, and then I went to investigate more about the whole CERO stuff and check the ratings of some characters' games, and during all that I found myself reading this old interview with Sakurai, who clearly is very, VERY tired of the whole CERO rating stuff himself, lol.

Good thing indeed that Shantae wears pants and not skirts, Japan hates characters showing skin around crotch and thighs more than anything apparently haha. And the top clothing is alright with Nintendo since Krystal wears the same exact type of clothing and she got a 3D model of it, instead of her Assault model which they could've easily gone with instead, lol. So we definitely have nothing to worry about when it comes to these things.

He does mention firearms but somehow Joker still got in with his gun (and Snake's other weapons). So it seems like they (CERO) have been more flexible with Ultimate than how they were in Smash 4 🤔 definitely curious stuff nonetheless. Bayo comes from a "D" rated game but her clothing design is totally fine. It's like they don't care if the character has big butt or chest, as long as they have clothings they deem alright. If they think Krystal's top clothing piece was okay to go through, then Shantae would be no problem either.

Things definitely are simpler once someone understands how they really are approaching things lol 👍

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I remembered your message here from some pages back, and then I went to investigate more about the whole CERO stuff and check the ratings of some characters' games, and during all that I found myself reading this old interview with Sakurai, who clearly is very, VERY tired of the whole CERO rating stuff himself, lol.

Good thing indeed that Shantae wears pants and not skirts, Japan hates characters showing skin around crotch and thighs more than anything apparently haha. And the top clothing is alright with Nintendo since Krystal wears the same exact type of clothing and she got a 3D model of it, instead of her Assault model which they could've easily gone with instead, lol. So we definitely have nothing to worry about when it comes to these things.

He does mention firearms but somehow Joker still got in with his gun (and Snake's other weapons). So it seems like they (CERO) have been more flexible with Ultimate than how they were in Smash 4 🤔 definitely curious stuff nonetheless. Bayo comes from a "D" rated game but her clothing design is totally fine. It's like they don't care if the character has big butt or chest, as long as they have clothings they deem alright. If they think Krystal's top clothing piece was okay to go through, then Shantae would be no problem either.

Things definitely are simpler once someone understands how they really are approaching things lol 👍
The holes on the back of Bayo's leg areas were covered up for Smash, so it's not easy to notice.

Other than that, it's nice to see someone else who has a more balanced view over the whole issue.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The holes on the back of Bayo's leg areas were covered up for Smash, so it's not easy to notice.

Other than that, it's nice to see someone else who has a more balanced view over the whole issue.
I wonder if Shantae using Risky's pirate pistol would also pass like Joker's gun did lol…
Actually, what do you all guys prefer for Shantae's projectile? the fire balls or the pirate pistol? I like the fire balls more because it's more… magic I guess? which definitely fits her more as a half genie
Untitled-1.png

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wonder if Shantae using Risky's pirate pistol would also pass like Joker's gun did lol…
Actually, what do you all guys prefer for Shantae's projectile? the fire balls or the pirate pistol? I like the fire balls more because it's more… magic I guess? which definitely fits her more as a half genie
View attachment 311733
Flintlock pistols existed way before modern gun laws existed, so it'd be kosher enough, heh.

But yeah, the fireball makes the most sense to me. It's best to leave the pistol for Risky, since she's a full-time pirate while Shantae was more of a half-pirate hero once.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
View attachment 311733
I feel Risky's Pistol would be treated the same as K Rool's blunderbuss in regards to ratings. They are both rather over the top with their cartoony esthetic that I doubt it would impact the ratings at all. Joker and Bayonetta both got by with relatively realistic guns with no problem, so a cartoon old-fashioned black powder pistol should be fine.

That said, I'm torn on if I want her pirate gear incorporated at all. On one hand, it's part of her history and deserves to be represented. On the other hand if you use one piece of her pirate gear you kind of need to involve all of them to some extent and then it takes up a pretty large part of her moveset which I would prefer be used with her magic and animal forms.

I think over all i would prefer she be magic, dance and transformation focused as it represents most of her history and also is more to the core of who she is.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I'm only just finding out that Best Buy often has limited time offers for physical copies of the latest Shantae games in-store. Anyone here ever picked up 'em up there and know if they're available same day as they launch on digital stores or later?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'm only just finding out that Best Buy often has limited time offers for physical copies of the latest Shantae games in-store. Anyone here ever picked up 'em up there and know if they're available same day as they launch on digital stores or later?
Those are part of a partnership Best Buy does with Limited Run Games. They are the same as the standard version you would order from LRG but with different cover art and no number on the box. However they usually don't show up in stores until much after any of the individual orders from LRG's website.

If you are wondering if Best Buy is going to eventually carry a certain game, check that' games page on LRG's site. in the description you can find a section saying something to the effect of "Best Buy has agreed to carry a limited amount... blah blah blah... They have the right to drop out of this deal anytime, if you really want the game order it now just in case"

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

That’s the interview I reference every time I mention the “Shantae wears pants” defense in regards to Good Boys And Girls arguments, yes. The interview’s been around for years and people keep forgetting Sakurai outright said it already!

View attachment 311733
I’d honestly prefer the pirate gear not be in her moveset in Smash. It’s fun and all, but to me it’s just not integral to Shantae as a character mechanically or playstyle-wise. It’s the same problem I have with FLUDD in Mario’s moveset - it’s a neat callback, but it’s such a minor part of his history to now be a special move for 3 smash games.

Shantae focusing on her combat moves and magic/equipment for her normals and then transformation dances for her specials has always been what I both would prefer and what I would expect.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That’s the interview I reference every time I mention the “Shantae wears pants” defense in regards to Good Boys And Girls arguments, yes. The interview’s been around for years and people keep forgetting Sakurai outright said it already!

I’d honestly prefer the pirate gear not be in her moveset in Smash. It’s fun and all, but to me it’s just not integral to Shantae as a character mechanically or playstyle-wise. It’s the same problem I have with FLUDD in Mario’s moveset - it’s a neat callback, but it’s such a minor part of his history to now be a special move for 3 smash games.

Shantae focusing on her combat moves and magic/equipment for her normals and then transformation dances for her specials has always been what I both would prefer and what I would expect.
People tend to don't do research or ignore it outright. This is why most didn't realize that SNK was even around at all, for one.

At least with Mario he's such a huge name they can do anything with him and can more or less get away with it (and at least they fixed FLUDD to actually do damage). Shantae, meanwhile, still has a pretty small series that barely did much in the way of experimentation (especially seeing as WF doesn't have enough capital for frequent spin-offs), so I have no doubt that they'd do a pretty faithful moveset for her.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah for how much people like to remember what Sakurai said in the past games, for naysaying characters' chances now (which in the end hasn't aged well because now we got veterans, ridley, ice climbers, banjo, spirit upgrades, etc… nothing ages well when being a naysayer and using sakurai's old statements lol), they surely love to omit half of the other stuff that he says that is actually relevant to development of the game 🙄.

100% agree. She stands out more with her Half Genie powers after all, and that's what she is truly all about anyway. If I wanted a pirate character I would want Tetra as a separate character from Shantae, lol.

I wonder if anyone has made a visual compilation of her moves for a smash moveset… I might make my own version anyway, with her alt colors and outfits and what not. 🤔

FLUDD in Mario's moveset never felt right to me ugh… I always felt like he could've done well with any other move from any of his games. But I guess that's personal preference.

Last edited:

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
Actually, what do you all guys prefer for Shantae's projectile? the fire balls or the pirate pistol? I like the fire balls more because it's more… magic I guess? which definitely fits her more as a half genie.
Definitely the fireball.

Tap special for a single fireball, while holding it will make it a triple fireball.

And her classic mode's final boss will be against Dracula, show the dark lord how it's done.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
People tend to don't do research or ignore it outright. This is why most didn't realize that SNK was even around at all, for one.

At least with Mario he's such a huge name they can do anything with him and can more or less get away with it (and at least they fixed FLUDD to actually do damage). Shantae, meanwhile, still has a pretty small series that barely did much in the way of experimentation (especially seeing as WF doesn't have enough capital for frequent spin-offs), so I have no doubt that they'd do a pretty faithful moveset for her.
FLUDD still does not do any damage. What it does do is synergise well with his cape to make people fall off the stage hilariously and just generally help him approach range-abusers on his terms.

Why does Mario need to change when other Mario series characters, items and stages can handle the references he has no room for? It's not like anyone else in the series has ever used the device.

We all know we'd rather see Risky Boots be the one using the gear, it's just buried under the belief it's impossible. But her arguably more surprising spirit inclusion makes me feel otherwise.

Top Bottom