• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We all know we'd rather see Risky Boots be the one using the gear, it's just buried under the belief it's impossible. But her arguably more surprising spirit inclusion makes me feel otherwise.
I have a hard time believing that Shantae wouldn't get her as a second unique newcomer at some point when we have

following up Cloud as a FF7 representative.

But nah, patience isn't a thing in this fandom, evidently.

Last edited:

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
Why does Mario need to change when other Mario series characters, items and stages can handle the references he has no room for? It's not like anyone else in the series has ever used the device.
The thing about Mario was back in Smash 1 and Melee he was always known as the most 'basic' and 'simple' character, not a bad character, but just one with easy to learn mechanics that beginners can pick up and learn.

FLUDD threw that out the window by replacing his quick and easy to understand Mario Tornado, It's a charging move that deals no damage, so there's already a steep learning curve for the attack due to how technical it is, which throws off newcomers. It actively took away from Mario's core gimmick of being easy to learn.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I have a hard time believing that Shantae wouldn't get her as a second unique newcomer at some point when we have

I'm definitely down for more villains to balance things out in the roster. That's mainly why I wanted Sephiroth, aside from just liking him as it is. Specially when he is just as iconic as bowser and ganondorf (like factually even). That said I "personally" would like Risky to be either a hazard or an actual boss fight like Dracula. Just have her hanging from a side of her boat while she bombs the stage and such. Let her be crazy without the limitations of a fighter haha.

Exhausting as well after a long while of speculation and rumors.
View attachment 311831
Honestly I'm glad pass 2 is the end of this game because 1) I can't even think of who else can get in, and you can even see people out there just naming memes instead of reasonable ideas. And 2) I'm just tired of the lack of common sense and the amount of toxicity in the fandom, speculation has become, for the most part, the least enjoyable part of the game, which is incredibly sad considering there were times were people were less edgy and it was SUPER fun to just speculate without worrying some rando would come in acting like idiots or being naysayers or whatever lol.

Mind you, I obviously still enjoy speculation a lot, but mostly only among friends these days, rather than publicly in other forums or social media where you know what kind of people you're always gonna encounter, lol.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
These last two challengers are going to be one storm to endure. (If no more DLC are true.)

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Shantae using Risky's pirate pistol would also pass like Joker's gun did lol…
Actually, what do you all guys prefer for Shantae's projectile? the fire balls or the pirate pistol? I like the fire balls more because it's more… magic I guess? which definitely fits her more as a half genie
View attachment 311733
Spit Fire (Triple Fireball). Safely harass low hanging recoveries.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The thing about Mario was back in Smash 1 and Melee he was always known as the most 'basic' and 'simple' character, not a bad character, but just one with easy to learn mechanics that beginners can pick up and learn.

FLUDD threw that out the window by replacing his quick and easy to understand Mario Tornado, It's a charging move that deals no damage, so there's already a steep learning curve for the attack due to how technical it is, which throws off newcomers. It actively took away from Mario's core gimmick of being easy to learn.
Mario's schtick is having average stats. Being easy to play is Kirby's job, it was the entire focus of his series.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I see, Shantae's gameplay would be situational and semi-big brain. Kinda doubt they'd want the speedrunner approach that's favored so much for PC and SSS.

Also, I think that WF would want Risky to be playable even if no one asked for it. Even Ridley didn't stay an obstacle forever.

Also, also...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Does Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy know about this?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think her playstyle would be like Mario and zelda. An all-rounded jack of all trades, certain attacks pack a punch and use magic abilities to control the flow.

Downsides would the moves can be telegraphed and some take time to activate. Plus her transformations could be countered or even canceled against blitz or range characters like sonic and samus.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

True. But Sephiroth is a special case since he is one of the most iconic gaming villains of all time. Risky can't compare to that and I would be surprised if we do ever get Shantae in Smash we would get a 2nd Shantae rep. But I do agree if that ever happens, it has to be Risky and no one else.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace

True. But Sephiroth is a special case since he is one of the most iconic gaming villains of all time. Risky can't compare to that and I would be surprised if we do ever get Shantae in Smash we would get a 2nd Shantae rep. But I do agree if that ever happens, it has to be Risky and no one else.
Yeah I think a better example would be Banjo-Kazooie. Sephiroth was trending prior to Smash 'cause he's Sephiroth. While still more popular than Shantae, the animal duo never saw a new game for 11 years but still had a big cult Smash following with an Xbox CEO of the same mindset having him in would be cool.

Then there's Shantae: former Nintendo exclusive, part of Gameboy's history, has built generations of fans, arguably among the Top 10 requested fighters, owned by a studio still in touch with Nintendo and the same studio that positively squees at the thought of her joining. She has a lot going for her.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Then there's Shantae: former Nintendo exclusive, part of Gameboy's history, has built generations of fans, arguably among the Top 10 requested fighters, owned by a studio still in touch with Nintendo and the same studio that positively squees at the thought of her joining. She has a lot going for her.
I mean Wayforward were the ones to approach Nintendo right? which usually it's always the other way around… Nintendo then told them to send them artwork. Wayforward didn't even know what spirits were at the time, so they most likely were hoping for a fighter or assist trophy at best. I wonder how much artwork they gave to Nintendo in that case, because it's weird to me that it ended just being 2 spirits instead of the whole main cast, like the uncle, bolo and sky, maybe risky's pirate crew, the red slime guy, etc… Maybe they saved the rest of the cast for her inclusion later? kinda like how Arms and XC2 didn't get the rest of their main cast of spirits in their temporary compensation in base game, because clearly they decided to make a full thing for a pass 2 later on, since pass 1 and base had their hands full already 🤔 One can hope I guess…

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I mean Wayforward were the ones to approach Nintendo right? which usually it's always the other way around… Nintendo then told them to send them artwork. Wayforward didn't even know what spirits were at the time, so they most likely were hoping for a fighter or assist trophy at best. I wonder how much artwork they gave to Nintendo in that case, because it's weird to me that it ended just being 2 spirits instead of the whole main cast, like the uncle, bolo and sky, maybe risky's pirate crew, the red slime guy, etc… Maybe they saved the rest of the cast for her inclusion later? kinda like how Arms and XC2 didn't get the rest of their main cast of spirits in their temporary compensation in base game, because clearly they decided to make a full thing for a pass 2 later on, since pass 1 and base had their hands full already 🤔 One can hope I guess…
They probably did approach Nintendo first but Nintendo could've approached back later. Really, we don't know what transpired during their talks. It's possible Wayforward's telling most of the truth while leaving out some stuff because 50/50 owners of that fighter either feign ignorance or nah. NDAs be a pain like that.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Sorry off topic but wow, Nintendo actually responds to some fan from December 2020 to March 2021 about Rayman for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Now keep that in mind it’s not a promising letter, its more like a appreciation of giving ideas and talking specifically about reasons why Rayman and Nintendo just send a thank you message for a suggestion so yeah check this out and you can reply to me your thoughts, guys.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Come to think of it, they did way more than Grasshopper Manufacture's Goichi Suda, who basically spent his time going "I hope Nintendo senpai notices me" without taking any further steps. And all the No More Heroes games didn't get all conveniently released on the Switch until after Travis Touchdown got in as a Mii costume.

May not mean much, but the kind of effort that WF did is at least enough to have them go "at least we tried" by the end.

Yeah I think a better example would be Banjo-Kazooie. Sephiroth was trending prior to Smash 'cause he's Sephiroth. While still more popular than Shantae, the animal duo never saw a new game for 11 years but still had a big cult Smash following with an Xbox CEO of the same mindset having him in would be cool.

I understand your point, but I was specifically referring to series getting second unique characters, not whether they'd get in at all regardless of overall notoriety. 😓 Sorry for the unintentional vagueness (yet again).

Sorry off topic but wow, Nintendo actually responds to some fan from December 2020 to March 2021 about Rayman for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Now keep that in mind it’s not a promising letter, its more like a appropriation of giving ideas and talking specifically about reasons why Rayman and Nintendo just send a thank you message for a suggestion so yeah check this out and you can reply to me your thoughts, guys.

If anything, right now some are putting more stock into the forthcoming Ubisoft Forward conference at E3.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Have you guys shared trailer ideas for Shantae already? I'm curious to hear if you had any ideas.

I got probably a very predictable one, so maybe someone already thought it in this thread many pages ago, but here it goes…

Basically what came to my mind just now is a trailer that starts with a view of the sea, then you see the pirate ship (the stage we have in smash) appearing from a side of the screen,while being chased by Toon Link who is piloting the King of Red Lions. They manage to reach the pirate ship and Toon Link jumps on it (or hookshots at it to get on it or whatever) and finds that King K. Rool is the captain of the ship, who notices Toon Link and they start to fight (or maybe there's a crew of more baddies he sends to Toon Link, I dunno), but this leaves the ship unattended eventually or immediately, so it starts moving to the direction of an island of some sort.

The ship hits land and this makes Toon Link lose the upper hand by falling from the ship into the beach of the island they just hit. This is when K. Rool aims at him to finish him off with his blunderbuss and laughs or whatever he does best… but then a very short quick scene happens, of someone's shoe stepping on a beach rock and jumping off of it, high into the sky above, K Rool quickly looks up to see who is it but the sun is also up there and blinds him a bit to make out anything and we just see a silhouette in front of the sun (of Shantae), who lands on board of the ship. She attacks him in whichever way you guys can think of, either she threw a fireball at him or something, or she uses her hair to whip the hell out off his bludnerbuss, disarming him. Toon Link looks up surprised or whatever and we get the camera fly back to the ship and around Shantae as she makes a short spin and a little dance of hers, this is when we get the classic "joins in" frame moment, with maybe an "is Ret-2-Go!" catch phrase.

It goes into gameplay and what not, shows her forms and such, and then we go back to the scene and she finishes K. Rool off with her final smash (which I'm curious what you guys think it would be? I think she would just make a lot of dances and all of her forms come out to attack at once or something lol)
Then trailer finishes with the Smash logo x Shantae.

Sounds like a lot but think of all this happening really fast, in the usual length of a trailer lol, I just type too much to be descriptive for a better vision in our heads haha. Of what's an actual very short simple idea in the end.

I wonder If I should draw a storyboard of sketches of this trailer idea
fx_cine_shantae_pose_9.png

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Come to think of it, they did way more than Grasshopper Manufacture's Goichi Suda, who basically spent his time going "I hope Nintendo senpai notices me" without taking any further steps. And all the No More Heroes games didn't get all conveniently released on the Switch until after Travis Touchdown got in as a Mii costume.

May not mean much, but the kind of effort that WF did is at least enough to have them go "at least we tried" by the end.

I understand your point, but I was specifically referring to series getting second unique characters, not whether they'd get in at all regardless of overall notoriety. 😓 Sorry for the unintentional vagueness (yet again).

If anything, right now some are putting more stock into the forthcoming Ubisoft Forward conference at E3.
If that’s possible then looks like Rayman will finally be free from that ice he’s trapping in on the battlefield lol. I don’t know. We’ll see what Ubisoft and Nintendo has to offer from each other.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Have you guys shared trailer ideas for Shantae already? I'm curious to hear if you had any ideas.

I got probably a very predictable one, so maybe someone already thought it in this thread many pages ago, but here it goes…

Basically what came to my mind just now is a trailer that starts with a view of the sea, then you see the pirate ship (the stage we have in smash) appearing from a side of the screen,while being chased by Toon Link who is piloting the King of Red Lions. They manage to reach the pirate ship and Toon Link jumps on it (or hookshots at it to get on it or whatever) and finds that King K. Rool is the captain of the ship, who notices Toon Link and they start to fight (or maybe there's a crew of more baddies he sends to Toon Link, I dunno), but this leaves the ship unattended eventually or immediately, so it starts moving to the direction of an island of some sort.

The ship hits land and this makes Toon Link lose the upper hand by falling from the ship into the beach of the island they just hit. This is when K. Rool aims at him to finish him off with his blunderbuss and laughs or whatever he does best… but then a very short quick scene happens, of someone's shoe stepping on a beach rock and jumping off of it, high into the sky above, K Rool quickly looks up to see who is it but the sun is also up there and blinds him a bit to make out anything and we just see a silhouette in front of the sun (of Shantae), who lands on board of the ship. She attacks him in whichever way you guys can think of, either she threw a fireball at him or something, or she uses her hair to whip the hell out off his bludnerbuss, disarming him. Toon Link looks up surprised or whatever and we get the camera fly back to the ship and around Shantae as she makes a short spin and a little dance of hers, this is when we get the classic "joins in" frame moment, with maybe an "is Ret-2-Go!" catch phrase.

It goes into gameplay and what not, shows her forms and such, and then we go back to the scene and she finishes K. Rool off with her final smash (which I'm curious what you guys think it would be? I think she would just make a lot of dances and all of her forms come out to attack at once or something lol)

Sounds like a lot but think of all this happening really fast, in the usual length of a trailer lol, I just type too much to be descriptive for a better vision in our heads haha. Of what's an actual very short simple idea in the end.

View attachment 312082
Oh, we've come up with a lot of variations for the "Pirate battle" type of trailer. I think it would be cooler and more suspenseful if it was Risky's ship, staffed by Tinkerbats that come out and swarm whoever decided to investigate (whether Risky herself is present or not can vary). For added humor the reason for Shantae being there already would be still sleeping off the slumber party she hosted on that ship.

It's an unpopular opinion, but I believe her final asmah would involve sucking opponents in with the genie lamp ala Pirate's Curse, and from there Shantae's friends beat up whoever is caught ala Chain Attack.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

View attachment 312082
Very cool trailer conspect. One of my ideas is that Wario would be going into this cave similar looking to the Cave of Wonders from Aladdin and he would stumble upon all this treasure in the cave as well as a magic lamp. Wario would rub this magic lamp and Shantae would come out and start singing "You never had a friend like me!" Just kidding. But Shantae would come out as Wario would be surprised and shocked. The trailer than cuts to Shantae's gameplay footage and at the end it goes back to the CGI cave cutscene with Shantae and Wario and he's spoiling himself in all the riches he found in the cave while Shantae is just sitting there thinking "Man oh man, does this guy love treasure. Loves it too much I would say." She doesn't say that, but she pretty much has that impression on her face.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I had a dream about Shantae getting into Smash and she was on a stage in her normal stance and I was about to play a match as Shantae and someone came to the room and interrupted me before I could and the dreams ends there and I wake up. I was thinking, **** if only that dream was real.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Well, that's specific of them to note the price in passing.

Tomorrow is the digital release for the Shantae GBC on the eshop
And the start of the two-month wait for the Shantae art book. :chrono:

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I've waited so long to play the first Shantae and the chance to do it is a day away but at the same time I want to wait on that physical Best Buy's getting but I dunno when that'll be. %&@#.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've waited so long to play the first Shantae and the chance to do it is a day away but at the same time I want to wait on that physical Best Buy's getting but I dunno when that'll be. %&@#.
You should have pre-ordered the game on Limited Run this past Summer. Sadly, that opportunity has come to pass for those that didn't pre-order back in the Summer. I'm not sure or not if they will release the older Shantae games in physical form at Best Buy since I've only seen the newer or more recent titles like Half-Genie Hero and Seven Sirens there when they came out. We will just have to wait and see.

Top Bottom