• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Welp, Pyra and Mythra.

At least this puts the final nail in the "good boys and girls" argument. But we all know by now the gatekeepers will move the goalposts again because it's first party.

Sorry I fogot, but congratulations zferolie zferolie ! You lucky duck, nobody seriously predicted Pyra as the main fighter and that makes victory all the sweeter. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Pyra/Mythra might not be the only characters announced during this presentation like when Hero and Banjo were announced so I'd keep watching.

edit: apparently the Smash site updated so this might be all we're getting.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, no Earth-shattering reveals (at least for me) but certainly some fun stuff to look forward to. As characters who weren't on my wish list, Pyra/Mythra are welcome by me. They aren't ones I would have ever asked for, but like Min Min I will be happy to have them around.

Also I really like the look of those Zelda joy cons, but I really don't want to give Nintendo any more money for broken hardware... Oh well, on to download Capcom Arcade Stadium and hope for a Darkstalkers pack to come to it someday...

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Pyra/Mythra might not be the only characters announced during this presentation like when Hero and Banjo were announced so I'd keep watching.

edit: apparently the Smash site updated so this might be all we're getting.
Yeah, they usually don't do double reveals until E3 (or around that time anyway).

All in all, that was a pretty meh Direct. The only stand-outs (to me anyway) were Pyra & Mythra for Smash (I'm still not all that familiar with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but they seem pretty cool, and it's another case of base-game Spirits being promoted to fighters) and Skyward Sword on Switch (thought considering my right Joycon is currently suffering from the Drift, that might cause some frustrations).

Other than those two, I didn't really care all that much for what was shown, and heck, we didn't even get an update on the re-release of the original Shantae game!

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
PYRA AND MYTHRA!!!!!!!

More Spirits that became fighters!!!!
Yeah but I've noticed that the spirits that have been promoted so far are all first or second party. I predict that it won't be long before people start using this fact to say that Shantae's disconfirmed because she's third party.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Yeah, they usually don't do double reveals until E3 (or around that time anyway).

All in all, that was a pretty meh Direct. The only stand-outs (to me anyway) were Pyra & Mythra for Smash (I'm still not all that familiar with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but they seem pretty cool, and it's another case of base-game Spirits being promoted to fighters) and Skyward Sword on Switch (thought considering my right Joycon is currently suffering from the Drift, that might cause some frustrations).

Other than those two, I didn't really care all that much for what was shown, and heck, we didn't even get an update on the re-release of the original Shantae game!
That is more on the LRG spectrum than Nintendo. So we'll likely see an update later on.
Again, I think we'll have a better look at the entire thing in about a week or two, or whenever we'll see the coming Mr. Sakurai Presents.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
R.I.P. List leak, Good Boys and Girls fan rule, and Spirits fan rule for the second time.
I hate to say it but I predict that people are gonna introduce a new fan rule that says that only first or second party spirits can be promoted since they're the only ones that have been promoted so far.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
When did Good Boys and Girls become a fan rule? It's more of a proper CERO/ESRB/PEGI mandate anyways. Not that it ultimately matters in the long run. Very few characters would actually be affected by it as most that could be seen as risque are toned down appropriately (see Bayo, Corrin and now Py/My)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm finally pleased with a character that got in. Hope yous don't mind I switch out from Shantae for now :p

I'm gonna try maining them.
But yeah it is good news for thinking the good boys and girl idea doesnt matter, for shantae :)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
While I still will wait for whether or not we get a third Fighters Pass announced before I can determine if Shantae stands a chance, the fact that Pyra's outfit got relatively minor edits spells some potential good news for the genie girl.
Indeed. Shantae can get away with her main outfit, or they can throw on her vest from pirates curse if needed

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Trolling
While I still will wait for whether or not we get a third Fighters Pass announced before I can determine if Shantae stands a chance, the fact that Pyra's outfit got relatively minor edits spells some potential good news for the genie girl.

I like that people still have hope for good characters. But by judging this pass/last pass/this roster, the last two characters will more than likely be A) another boring sword user with a down B counter from a game that already has too much or B)a boring, forgettable, niche character from some failing/niche franchise. I don't doubt the next two characters are from this list:
Monster Hunter to shill for the next MH game, and this character will just use swords and have a down B counter
Ryu Hayabusa that'll have NOTHING from his nes games, instead he'll be a sword user with a down B counter based on his action games
MAYBE another FF7 shill rep
Probably another boring Pokemon
Another FE sword using rep with a downB counter
Or Ring Fit Girl

Smash is an absolute JOKE of a "celebration of gaming." 1/3 of this roster is from three franchises, Bomberman is an AT yet Xenoblade gets ANOTHER rep, FF7 gets ANOTHER shill rep that's a sworduser with a down B counter. ZERO is an AT, yet we get Min Min. Nothing from Battletoads, Final Fight, Ghosts N' Goblins, Chrono Trigger, No Rayman, No Geno, No Crash, No Spyro, there's what ONE western rep?(CHARACTERS OWNED BY WESTERN COMPANIES, not characters popular in the west as every character on this roster is western using that logic), nothing from River City _______, Goemon is a Mii costume while we got TWO FE characters for ultimate, ISAAC(the SECOND MOST WANTED CHARACTER) is an AT while we got JOKER(a character who was UNKNOWN before smash AND his franchise was niche/failing), TWO FF7 SHILL REPS yet NOTHING FROM ANY OTHER FF game, Ganondorf is still a clone, YL/TL are still clones, No Blue Pig Ganon from ALttp, NO PORKY, 1/3 of this roster is from three franchises.

It's clear this game's choices revolve around Japan/Sakurai, and we all know it's mainly Jprpg sword users with down B counters they/he wants.

Smash sucks. The roster sucks. The dlc sucks and it's never going to get better. This game is a JOKE of a "celebration" of gaming.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Your mileage may vary. Regardless of roster choices, FP2 has been selling pretty well so far, so unless someone that's universally loathed got in, that momentum will be kept up until we see what Sak has to say regarding the DLC's future, once we get to the remaining two characters for FP2. Besides, Sak must have been dying to find an excuse to include a XB2 character somehow.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting to see if the Shantae Udon artbook isn't going to be delayed yet again next month.

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Your mileage may vary. Regardless of roster choices, FP2 has been selling pretty well so far, so unless someone that's universally loathed got in, that momentum will be kept up until we see what Sak has to say regarding the DLC's future, once we get to the remaining two characters for FP2. Besides, Sak must have been dying to find an excuse to include a XB2 character somehow.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting to see if the Shantae Udon artbook isn't going to be delayed yet again next month.
This means nothing, it's smash. FP1 &2 could have literally been just FE characters and they both would still sell like hot cakes. Hell, ultimate could have had half the roster it did at launch, and replace half of those with the same copy+paste FE character and it STILL would have sold(plus the two FE Fighter passes.)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Again, we can wait and see to assume that FP2 is the end until further notice. Only Nintendo can determine if Ultimate needs one more extension after this batch is done, and so far we have no way of knowing if plans remain set in stone.

Besides, Shantae is in no danger of being irrelevant regardless of the final outcome, even if her games take years to release.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
This means nothing, it's smash. FP1 &2 could have literally been just FE characters and they both would still sell like hot cakes. Hell, ultimate could have had half the roster it did at launch, and replace half of those with the same copy+paste FE character and it STILL would have sold(plus the two FE Fighter passes.)
Oh hey it’s you again. Coming back just to whine like after Byleth and Sephiroth I see.

Report and ignore, folks.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I missed the party due to power blackout and network connection.
View attachment 303726
So, what did I miss?
Biggest stories?

Pyra/Mythra duo are the new smash character that swap out a la Zelda/Sheik and Pokemon Trainer. Releasing and Sakurai trailer sometime in March. Possibly late March due to Amiibo.

Release dates for No More Heroes 3, Fall Guys comes to switch, Miitopia comes to switch, no news on BOTW2 but there will be news later this year, Skyward Sword is the next HD Zelda port, Age of Calamity is getting DLC, Ninja Gaiden collection coming, new Square Enix SRPG in 2022, new Mario Golf, and Splatoon 3 is set for 2022!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Indeed. Shantae can get away with her main outfit, or they can throw on her vest from pirates curse if needed
I don't think the vest actually addresses any of those concerns. Since her pants can be made opaque and is not even a departure from some versions of her art, the only thing left is just adjusting her bra so that it covers more of her chest.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Only two spots left.........just who will take it?
Also, Rex just got Chrom'd after his fate as a mii costume. I wonder how much fan rules ammo the community has remaining after Pyra/Mythra?
Honestly, I will be satisified once DLC is over, but will be happy if another pass takes course.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Biggest stories?

Pyra/Mythra duo are the new smash character that swap out a la Zelda/Sheik and Pokemon Trainer. Releasing and Sakurai trailer sometime in March. Possibly late March due to Amiibo.

Release dates for No More Heroes 3, Fall Guys comes to switch, Miitopia comes to switch, no news on BOTW2 but there will be news later this year, Skyward Sword is the next HD Zelda port, Age of Calamity is getting DLC, Ninja Gaiden collection coming, new Square Enix SRPG in 2022, new Mario Golf, and Splatoon 3 is set for 2022!
When was the Mr Sakurai trailer confirmed for March?

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
When was the Mr Sakurai trailer confirmed for March?
They stated the character would be released in March. And every character has had a Sakurai Presents, and with a stance switch character I’m sure they’d like to cover that and how they each function.
While it wasn’t explicitly confirmed for March, I just inferred it would be since they didn’t say it was coming up this or next week like they did with Steve or Sephiroth.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
They stated the character would be released in March. And every character has had a Sakurai Presents, and with a stance switch character I’m sure they’d like to cover that and how they each function.
While it wasn’t explicitly confirmed for March, I just inferred it would be since they didn’t say it was coming up this or next week like they did with Steve or Sephiroth.
I hope they show us the gameplay before march. I really wanna see how they play :)

Top Bottom