• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Buuhh NOT MARCH!?! Guuuhoooo...please bring Shantae, I believe if it would be a Tales character it would be closer to Tales of Festival right? I wanna believe. please Shantae.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
In my own personal theory/opinion, I think WayForward is waiting for Shantae to be revealed as a character in the Smash Fighters Pass in order to tell us when the release date for her first game comes to Switch. I mean why wait for a game that can easily be ported to the Switch in a month's time. Especially after they gone and announced it was coming.
And even if they're working on new games like that RWBY one (cool that's happening), again, it's a GBC game and the fact you announced the port since September without any updates is ridiculous. WayForward has to be waiting for something.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
This Nintendo Direct can also be used as a means to reveal all the LRG Shantae stuff to us. Unlike every "Direct" we had prior, which had no signs of Shantae anywhere.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This Nintendo Direct can also be used as a means to reveal all the LRG Shantae stuff to us. Unlike every "Direct" we had prior, which had no signs of Shantae anywhere.
Don't count your luck. Shantae hasn't had much air time at all with directs. The most we got was the mention that the games are selling well :p

I do have hope tho :)

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Well hot damn, I thought the full Directs had gone extinct!

And we have confirmation that Fighter #9 is going to be revealed tomorrow? Hell yes!

Although I'd recommend you guys hype responsibly and don't get too discouraged if it isn't Shantae.

Speaking of whom, regardless of a potential Smash reveal, I'm at least hoping to get some kind of news on that GBC port, because that and Seven Sirens will have been the only Shantae games I haven't played yet.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well hot damn, I thought the full Directs had gone extinct!

And we have confirmation that Fighter #9 is going to be revealed tomorrow? Hell yes!

Although I'd recommend you guys hype responsibly and don't get too discouraged if it isn't Shantae.

Speaking of whom, regardless of a potential Smash reveal, I'm at least hoping to get some kind of news on that GBC port, because that and Seven Sirens will have been the only Shantae games I haven't played yet.
Yup but not really confirmation, but what else would they reveal about smash :p Pretty likely it's the character.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
How I feel about more news coming.

Still, I exactly don't know who it will be, but I'm excited to see news from Nintendo return.

This also means that the next one will either appear on May or June to start the summer.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
And even if they're working on new games like that RWBY one (cool that's happening), again, it's a GBC game and the fact you announced the port since September without any updates is ridiculous. WayForward has to be waiting for something.
Again, it's still possible that the GBA Mode might be the reason it's taking so long.
Seriously, don't see that as a hard confirm for Shantae in Smash.
You'll only be disappointed.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Again, it's still possible that the GBA Mode might be the reason it's taking so long.
I never say it's 100% Smash. And even when I do hype for the possibilities, it's not like I sulk afterwards when/if it's not her :/

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Why were you hoping for March?
I wasnt hoping, I was just expecting March.

Why are you actling like we arent aware? We're not going to be dissappointed, its self aware excitement.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, they have all this time to do it, so why with the last minute changes? Also, I am pretty sure that the ports began development BEFORE they were announced in July, which would stretch out the time needed to make the GBA mode even more.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Woah guys, getting a little volatile here. Sure we haven't got any news about the port of the original GBC of shantae yet, but that doesn't mean WF is keeping their fans hanging.
Screenshot_20210215-232133_YouTube.jpg

When WF is ready, they will announce it.

Edit: also, I can guess that no double reveal or even future announcements for smash will be brought up at this time with FP2 only have 2 challengers left to reveal. I could be wrong, but just looking at a realistic view

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'm just glad the direct is tomorow already :)

I'm going to go in with no expectations, and enjoy what nintendo shows.
Not saying i wouldn't be disappointed if it's a character I don't like, but it's going to be what it's going to be ;)
Well, I had a theory 2 months ago that the indie rep in Fighters pass 2 might be Sakuya (Touhou):
I don't know that much about Reimu or Touhou but Reimu is one of my favorite modded characters in Rivals of Aether. So if she was anything like that in Smash I think I'd like playing as her.
Prior to the reveal of Min-min and Steve (Minecraft) Sakurai hinted that Steve was coming, and he made it. Prior to Sephiroth's reveal, Sakurai tweeted the image mentioned in the quote above. So is Sakuya (Touhou) going to be revealed tomorrow?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, I had a theory 2 months ago that the indie rep in Fighters pass 2 might be Sakuya (Touhou):

Prior to the reveal of Min-min and Steve (Minecraft) Sakurai hinted that Steve was coming, and he made it. Prior to Sephiroth's reveal, Sakurai tweeted the image mentioned in the quote above. So is Sakuya (Touhou) going to be revealed tomorrow?

What are your thoughts?
Well, I already don't think Touhou would end up in smash, but I would be hype for it. I think that considering how little known it is outside of japan though, Reimu or Marisa are always the most likely since at least some gamers have seen them around.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Pretty sure Reimu would have to be the Touhou rep, since she's the main character.
Of course! Furthermore, I actually want Reimu over Shantae.

Well, I already don't think Touhou would end up in smash, but I would be hype for it. I think that considering how little known it is outside of japan though, Reimu or Marisa are always the most likely since at least some gamers have seen them around.
King of Fighters had an unlikely chance of getting a playable character, so I think the same could go for Touhou as well. Now to get back on topic, what other Shantae characters besides Shantae, and her nemesis Risky, would deserve to be playable?

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Are people thinking that Shantae has a chance to be revealed tomorrow?
How many people expected Sephiroth at The Game Awards? All the speculation was on Crash, Jonesy, and Doomguy.

You’re allowed to hope without really thinking it’s going to happen. It could be Shantae, or it could be something no one expects, or it could be a character everyone expects. That’s what it means to hype responsibly.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
How many people expected Sephiroth at The Game Awards? All the speculation was on Crash, Jonesy, and Doomguy.

You’re allowed to hope without really thinking it’s going to happen. It could be Shantae, or it could be something no one expects, or it could be a character everyone expects. That’s what it means to hype responsibly.
Given that nobody predicted Sephiroth to be revealed, that's one reason why I think Sakuya (Touhou) might be revealed tomorrow.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace

Right. The way I look at it is, it could be anyone. We really don't know.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Given that nobody predicted Sephiroth to be revealed, that's one reason why I think Sakuya (Touhou) might be revealed tomorrow.
It wouldn't make sense for Sakuya to be the Touhou rep. She isn't the main character. Reimu is. Therefore, Reimu being the Touhou rep makes much more sense. Plus her inclusion would allow other Touhou characters to appear in the future.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
It wouldn't make sense for Sakuya to be the Touhou rep. She isn't the main character. Reimu is. Therefore, Reimu being the Touhou rep makes much more sense. Plus her inclusion would allow other Touhou characters to appear in the future.
Well Min-min got in before Spring Man, and Min-min is not a primary rep. Also, Terry (KOF) got in over Kyo (KOF) and Terry isn't a primary rep. So I think Sakuya can still get in over Reimu, although I would loathe Sakuya's inclusion due to her being obscure. And I already know that Reimu is Touhou's primary rep.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well Min-min got in before Spring Man, and Min-min is not a primary rep. Also, Terry (KOF) got in over Kyo (KOF) and Terry isn't a primary rep. So I think Sakuya can still get in over Reimu, although I would loathe Sakuya's inclusion due to her being obscure.
Terry's representing his game, Fatal Fury, not KoF.

Dukefire

Smash Master
It also kind of helps Min Min that she was the winner for ARMS final party crash bash.

Plus if Crash Bandicoot enter as the next fighter, then spyro may follow as a mii costume

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well Min-min got in before Spring Man, and Min-min is not a primary rep. Also, Terry (KOF) got in over Kyo (KOF) and Terry isn't a primary rep. So I think Sakuya can still get in over Reimu, although I would loathe Sakuya's inclusion due to her being obscure. And I already know that Reimu is Touhou's primary rep.
Those comparisons don't really fly.
Terry represents Fatal Fury, not King of Fighters. And in the Fatal Fury series, he is the main character.
As for Min-Min over Spring Man: The devs of ARMS have said on record, that ARMS doesn't have a dedicated main character.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I never thought Touhou had a true main character and that Reimu was just the more popular one. If you asked who I'd pick, it'd be Utsuho.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Yep. Looks like Amiibo theory might be dead.
Well, we don’t know when the character will be shown off/released, just that one will be revealed. If they say Sakurai will be presenting the character in Early March, and then maybe release in a week... it could still line up with the Amiibo release window like the other times.

I do have a light sense of wonder: Would Sakurai, if he could, try to pull in a new Zelda character? Either through Age of Calamity or the BotW sequel? This is a mad idea, yet it seems possible.
Challenger Pack 9 Tingle, along with HD remasters of Tingle’s Rosy Rupeeland and Ripened Tingle’s Balloon Trip of Love. That’s my official non-shantae and non-pokemon DLC9 prediction.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
While it would be nice, I'm still skeptical of Shantae being revealed tomorrow. It feels like there's too many picks that are better than her.

Although it's interesting to see people claim that Reimu wouldn't be the Touhou rep to get in despite being in every mainline entry in the series and being the most iconic character in the series.

Top Bottom