• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
between fans, and scalpers, the limited run shantae games end up for around 90-150 on ebay, and people buy them at that price. i was trying to get pirates curse, because i didn't know about limited run games at the time, but it sells for around 180, way to much to justify paying for 1 game
I'm in the same boat as you. The only one I dont have a physical copy to cause I never heard of Limited Runs back then.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
i really wish I could get those new collector editions but i really cannot... got a bunch of games recently, more coming later, and I got to pay the rest of a commison later too. plus spent what I planned in some gatcha games. Shantae has to wait...

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Anyone know if Shantae 1 and Risky's Revenge are up for pre-order on the eshop yet? Soon as I get those I will have every Shantate game so far on one system.

Edit: When Wayforward said pre-orders would be starting today, they meant for the LimitedRun merch. Oh.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
It's weird buying more games from them, when I still haven't received the Seven Sirens, yet...

I read one fun conspiracy about this release.
Basically it stated that this is a weird release window for any US company because most avoid releases or sales on 9/11 due to the tragedy associated with the day. However, most countries don't have that association and this would allow other countries to get Shantae smack dab in the middle of the release date. They predicted Shantae release around the 26th-ish.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Yadda yadda long time lurker on this thread, finally decided to just post already because of course I super support Shantae, she’s my current #1 wish and has been since Ridley and K Rool happened two years ago. Also because I saw no one had posted this yet.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Looks like the LRG releases are off to very successful start!

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yadda yadda long time lurker on this thread, finally decided to just post already because of course I super support Shantae, she’s my current #1 wish and has been since Ridley and K Rool happened two years ago. Also because I saw no one had posted this yet.

Hey! Welcome aboard. Also thanks for sharing this. I assumed LRG must have seen some impressive sales from Shantae in the past to warrant them going all in with her recently, but it's nice to hear it right from the horses mouth that she pulls in huge numbers for them.

a random user

Smash Journeyman

40,000-750(the soundtrack that sold out)=39250
there were 14 shantae items on sale, not counting the limited print soundtrack, assuming people bought 1 of every item (they didn't most people bought the games not the cards)
39250/14=2804 sales per game
note this number does not count the mega bundle that includes 1 of evreything so the real number will be higher
there were 9 thigs with games
39250/9=4361 per game around the unlikely high end
and this is just in 1 day

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Maybe this'll be when Rivals of Aether's release date will be revealed.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...tendo_life_indie_spotlight_at_pax_online_2020
I'm guessing it will be on Tuesday.

Not sure if there will be more than just the release date, though. I don't know if that would need an entire stream.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well I guess I was wrong on how popular shantae is :)
I'm glad people love the series.

By the way Shinuto Shinuto , the week's over and no smash character in sight :p Guess your gut feelings weren't on point this time XD
I do feel like it could be sometime soon tho

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
All this news on her sales really put to bed the baseless claims that shantae isn't popular. That is A LOT of sales for old games of an indie fighter. Really helps me think Shantae will be in smash one day.

I'm guessing it will be on Tuesday.

Not sure if there will be more than just the release date, though. I don't know if that would need an entire stream.
At least an release date, but would be very cool if shantae got in, and i don't think that would kill her chances for smash either,

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By the way Shinuto Shinuto , the week's over and no smash character in sight :p Guess your gut feelings weren't on point this time XD
I do feel like it could be sometime soon tho
We can be assured that it'll be sometime before the next two amiibo sets launch in Japan on the 25th. So far, the character -> amiibo pattern hasn't budged.

At least an release date, but would be very cool if shantae got in, and i don't think that would kill her chances for smash either,
Well, you aren't wrong. :ult_terry:

Though if I'm being honest as much as it would be nice to see Shantae in RoA, a part of me doubts it. Besides, what transformation would she use by default, harpy or spider?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
It should hopefully come soon with the Joker and Hero Amiibo coming on Oct 2. Plus, I'm getting exhausted from some rumors saying that character is guaranteed. (Like that won't stop until Smash Ultimate is finished for good on DLC).

zferolie

Smash Hero
We can be assured that it'll be sometime before the next two amiibo sets launch in Japan on the 25th. So far, the character -> amiibo pattern hasn't budged.

Well, you aren't wrong. :ult_terry:

Though if I'm being honest as much as it would be nice to see Shantae in RoA, a part of me doubts it. Besides, what transformation would she use by default, harpy or spider?
Does she have to use a default animal form? I mean, isn't Shovel Knight in this game? Or am I confusing it with another game?

BTW have this cute fanart

And this from Minus8

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Does she have to use a default animal form? I mean, isn't Shovel Knight in this game? Or am I confusing it with another game?
Yes, but the only reason why he gets away with his default look is because of the "fish head under helmet" gag from his game, which is kept here by technically having him be a fish person.

I really don't know if they'd be willing to stretch the rule even further. That is assuming WF even intends of wanting her inclusion.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
It should hopefully come soon with the Joker and Hero Amiibo coming on Oct 2. Plus, I'm getting exhausted from some rumors saying that character is guaranteed. (Like that won't stop until Smash Ultimate is finished for good on DLC).
What rumors are those? Don’t think I’ve heard it, fake or not.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
It was a game made to try on carrying the legacy of megaman forward. Unfortunately, being over hyped and having a 3 year delay for the game ending up for disappointment according to some.
Although Beck (Mighty no. 9) is obscure for now, Mighty no. 9 could potentially cultivate fame and strengthen its originality in the 2020s, just like how it occurred with Yu-Gi-Oh!. Once again, making a ripoff can be a step to achieving originality. Unfortunately, I don't want to be disrespectful, but I'm afraid to say that Beck is already in perfect circumstances to be excluded from the roster due to obscurity and poor reception. ☹

Also, I think it would be nice to get a Beck mii costume if we get an indie rep in fighters pass 2.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What rumors are those? Don’t think I’ve heard it, fake or not.
I believe that he was just speaking in general terms, as in being tired about hearing rumors of X character coming from what-have-you.

I really really doubt Shantae would find herself in rivals, both because she'd feel a little out of place, but also because of WF's pattern with indie fighters :p

That said, I'd loove to know if there's a new character coming to rivals.
I'd imagine so, otherwise it would be a tad presumptuous to air a stream just to announce the release date for the Switch release.

Maybe a big update, at least.

In other news, Dan Fornace jokingly said that he will leak what the announcement is if people bribe him.

Last edited:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Mighty No. 9 in and of itself has potential if reworked and mechanics adjusted some, I think. I'll have to really dig in and play it, but I'm thinking it could be salvaged and a sequel made better. I'll get back to you on that topic. It's not high up on my queue to play right now. Though what indie fighter would work best for him though? isn't up on the particular brawlers out there

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Mighty No. 9 in and of itself has potential if reworked and mechanics adjusted some, I think. I'll have to really dig in and play it, but I'm thinking it could be salvaged and a sequel made better. I'll get back to you on that topic. It's not high up on my queue to play right now. Though what indie fighter would work best for him though? isn't up on the particular brawlers out there
I had the same idea, I think the game mechanics of Mighty no. 9 could be more polished if it cultivates a legacy. Maybe someday Beck (Mighty no. 9) will eventually deserve to be in Smash if he becomes more iconic.

To answer your own question, I think Beck would belong in Indie Pogo, the game has an assortment of obscure indie characters. Furthermore, would you like to see a Beck mii costume? I would!

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I've said this in another discussion, but I'll say it here to loosen the boredom a bit.

What would the Character's trailer be named as if he/she got in?

Min Min- Ramen Time
Banjo Kazooie- Best Friends
Joker- The Masked Rebel
Hero- Heroic Encounter
Terry- The Legendary Wolf
Byleth- The Ashen Demon
King K Rool- The Rivals
Ridley- A Piercing Screech
Ken and Incinaroar- Clash of Flames
Isabelle- All in a Day's Work

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Welcome friend. It's cool to see another Shantae supporter that was also a Ridley and K. Rool supporter like myself.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Reiterating what I said on the Profile Posts:

Okay, since it's Mario's 35th B-day week, @PushDustIn expects that we wouldn't hear anything until next week.

If so, they need to be really really careful with the timing of the news, since there isn't much time left before the :ultjoker: and :ulthero: amiibo launch on the 25th.
Also, another point of comparison; LRG making repro carts is such a scarce occurrence that not even a safer IP like Doom gets that honor:

Last edited:

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Another point of comparison; LRG making repro carts is such a scarce occurrence that not even a safer IP like Doom gets that honor:

Isn't it up to the devs to decide what they want to produce for sale for their game? How does LRG actually handle these things?

Also, I kinda lucked out on the LRG Shantae games I wanted to get. I couldn't afford anything, but a good friend of mine offered to do a trade for some of my old games that I already finished. So I'll soon have (well tbh, you know the production and delivery times for LRG XD) my slipcover with all the games in the series to fill it up! Can't wait for the first Shantae though, it's the only one I haven't played yet... Aside from Seven Sirens that I'm also still waiting for, heh.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Update! The original game is finally making its way to Japan for the first time.

They're really going all-in for this one.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Update! The original game is finally making its way to Japan for the first time.

They're really going all-in for this one.
Now Sakurai can finally understand Shantae and make her playable.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Reiterating what I said on the Profile Posts:

Also, another point of comparison; LRG making repro carts is such a scarce occurrence that not even a safer IP like Doom gets that honor:

I never played any Doom game, but I might have to pre-order that Doom 64 N64 copy because that metal cartridge looks wicked as hell.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Shouldn't we have gotten a Smash tweet by now today?
Maybe it might be on later today. Besides, we do have Rivals of Aether announcement coming later this afternoon. So, if no smash news or General news for the rest of 2020 games lineup. We still have the rest of this week and next week to wait around.

I still think they are dedicating this week for the Mario 3D All Stars game coming out this Friday.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shouldn't we have gotten a Smash tweet by now today?
Maybe it might be on later today. Besides, we do have Rivals of Aether announcement coming later this afternoon. So, if no smash news or General news for the rest of 2020 games lineup. We still have the rest of this week and next week to wait around.

I still think they are dedicating this week for the Mario 3D All Stars game coming out this Friday.
Smash tweets always generally happen around 9 PM EST on Tuesdays, so it's still too early.

Seeing as this week is Mario hype, the next main announcement most likely won't be until next week.

Also, can anyone hear what Dan Fornace says? His audio quality couldn't be more quiet, and I missed the start of the stream.

Edit: Countdown started.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Smash tweets always generally happen around 9 PM EST on Tuesdays, so it's still too early.

Seeing as this week is Mario hype, the next main announcement most likely won't be until next week.

Also, can anyone hear what Dan Fornace says? His audio quality couldn't be more quiet, and I missed the start of the stream.
The game's coming out September 24th, and there's no new content and no crossplay. It has Gamecube controller support. There was also some talk about behind-the-scenes stuff (apparently, including the option to pre-order would have pushed the game back to October - I assume that pre-orders need to be made available a certain amount of time before the game launches).

It sounds like there won't be many balance patches post-Definitive Edition, unless major fixes need to be made.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This week's tournament is one-on-one matches featuring no characters using missiles (or presumably other projectiles).

So yeah, next week for news it is.

Now Sakurai can finally understand Shantae and make her playable.

Oh, well, looks like the players will need Google Translate for this one.

The game's coming out September 24th, and there's no new content and no crossplay. It has Gamecube controller support. There was also some talk about behind-the-scenes stuff (apparently, including the option to pre-order would have pushed the game back to October - I assume that pre-orders need to be made available a certain amount of time before the game launches).

It sounds like there won't be many balance patches post-Definitive Edition, unless major fixes need to be made.
That's cool to know, thanks. Imagine if the Smash announcement goes live on the exact same day.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, tomorrow there will be another Partners' Showcase. I wonder if there will be an official trailer for Shantae and Risky's Revenge coming to Switch. You know, to let those not in the loop know they're coming.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Notice they did not explain how long the presentation will be. Though, it will probably be 10-15 minutes long and no smash announcement. So, next week might be the time or not since the Joker and Hero amiibo are almost here.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
The Partner Directs historically haven't had first party Nintendo things so I imagine Smash wouldn't be considered, but at the same time this one is being presented Live, was brought up a day+ in advance, and it's very likely a Partner Company (like Capcom or Square) would be related to a Smash character, so it wouldn't be the strangest thing ever. I don't think we'll see it tomorrow but I wouldn't bet any substantial amount of money on it because it's 2020 and anything is fair game.

I would like to see some Shantae news show up in one of these eventually though!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not expecting much, as per usual. Though I'll need to save the link for it, because I'll miss it since I actually have my job again.

Though, I have to say, it feels pretty weird to have a Partners broadcast during :ultmario:'s anniversary week. Wonder what third party would convince them to go ahead with this.

So, tomorrow there will be another Partners' Showcase. I wonder if there will be an official trailer for Shantae and Risky's Revenge coming to Switch. You know, to let those not in the loop know they're coming.
WF doesn't even have Shantae show up in Nindies World, so it would be shocking for them to use Partners at all. Niche marketers gonna be niche marketers, I guess.

Notice they did not explain how long the presentation will be. Though, it will probably be 10-15 minutes long and no smash announcement. So, next week might be the time or not since the Joker and Hero amiibo are almost here.
I'd say it would be the time, it'd be bleeding weird to have a Smash announcement occur after the amiibo launch in Japan, rather than before when this specific pattern hasn't deviated up to this point.

Thursday seems like the most logical time for it to happen, since it would give the Switch Online releases some time to shine the day before.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If they did show a character for challenger 7, hopefully not like how Min Min was shadowed as the ARMS rep was dropped before her reveal in the Sakurai presents video

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If they did show a character for challenger 7, hopefully not like how Min Min was shadowed as the ARMS rep was dropped before her reveal in the Sakurai presents video
To be fair, everyone thought of every possibility (even the silliest) by the time the thing finally aired. It would be strange if she wasn't expected to any degree by that point.

Though I still don't think we'll get Smash news tomorrow, since Nintendo never lets their partners handle a Smash reveal, only those within their circle. :mybodyisreggie: (I know that Reggie isn't in the company anymore, but still).

Last edited:
Top Bottom