• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Take a wild guess. People who have never contributed anything relevant to the brawl metagame, yet continue to post incessantly... usually personal attacks that aren't even funny or insightful.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Kinda silly to put people on ignore.
Whatever though, I suppose. People are people.
Just the way I see it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Which threads are you looking in, then?
The threads I go to are usually enjoyable.

Also Kinzer, I'll be on later tonight, so try to hit me up on AIM at that time. I'll be able to put your information in the guide and whatnot by then.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Which threads are you looking in, then?
The threads I go to are usually enjoyable.

Also Kinzer, I'll be on later tonight, so try to hit me up on AIM at that time. I'll be able to put your information in the guide and whatnot by then.
zgbsbgsubygubogz

Terrible timing bro.

Today is mother's day, and I'll probably be out with family.

Unless you're going to be on for like a majority of later tonight, or early Monday morning, I'm outta luck.

I'll see if I can sneak onto a computer though.

:093:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its likely he is refering to me as well, but what he said describes google, which is kind of amusing.

In my defense, Sonic boards are pretty dead except this thread, no one (cept Kinzer) want to discuss anything gameplay related it seems. I mean....come on... we have a thread about doing speedruns in other games.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
In my defense, Sonic boards are pretty dead except this thread
That's no excuse. While I understand that there's a need for social interaction (believe me, I would've gotten even more bored than I already am), there has to be some sort of productivity; which you're right to say has been lacking.

I don't give a damn if what I say is not true or helpful, I believe the fact I'm still trying says a lot more. Besides that, even if I'm right I know there will be plenty of people to correct me, as it's apparently easier to sit back and do the criticizing. I would know that well, being that I used to think like that too before I wanted to become a part of, or take an active role in developing Sonic's metagame.

... God forbid that there be no one to correct when I am wrong. I hate pointing people in the wrong direction, not to mention that when and if it does slip through it takes an incredibly long time to fix.

Still, I try. I believe that's what count. It certainly is what helps me sleep better at night for sure.

Now that I think about it, The advanced techniques could use some material. I'd hate to go over that now though, but at the same time I'll be the first to admit that I don't know every single thing. Just the stuff that's most prevalent, and some of the more specific intricacies that I believe are worth a mention but aren't necessary ATs... like a very specific D-Throw stagespike Sonic has on King D3 on the right side of Battlefield. It's either a WiP, or something that needs to be worked on as a group, having people throwing in anything they might know that others might not, or are too lazy to type up themselves.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Don't care much for the block option myself. Even Wedge's trolling seems a bit silly to block him for. Even if I was one of the people getting trash talked. Frankly, I'll just stick with my sense of humor and bark right back, not give two damns, and mosey along with my game. I'll let it speak for myself.

Besides, just one post of many to me. Blocking it doesn't do anything for me. Not that I wanna block anyone anyway.

But, that's just me. What people do with their functions is their call. I ain't gonna judge.

[EDIT]

Also, going to Genesis 2. brb reviving my old thread I made for it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
My point is that it just looks worse because there is no place for productive discussion. Hell, no one even wants productive discussion cept maybe you. Look at the newest matchup and stage threads and the guide. So what might normally be 10% of my posts as one liners and trolling is....well 90%.

For the record, if anyone wants to quite this part for Ifnzy, KID pretty much does the same thing (talk trash about everyone) and he doesn't just do it on the boards either. He also doesn't have any contributions to the community I know of besides writing some really bad guides outlining super simple stuff. I think he is pretty funny most of the time (kind of reminds me of vegeta's attitude :p), but I can't imagine everyone does when all he does is trash talk....everyone. Wrong is wrong, and signing up on the site before we did doesn't make him less of a jerk.

tl;dr

@Kuraudo, sadly I forgot to do alot of the things I learned from you on Saturday. Gotta work on keeping all of my options in mind. It seems tough now, but I remember when I first started "copying" things I saw in videos and some of it is still habitual. Soon I will have all of your powers AND i'll be a campy mofo.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
@Kuraudo, sadly I forgot to do alot of the things I learned from you on Saturday. Gotta work on keeping all of my options in mind. It seems tough now, but I remember when I first started "copying" things I saw in videos and some of it is still habitual. Soon I will have all of your powers AND i'll be a campy mofo.

I won't let you win, Cell.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
the best part about the block list now is that since the site revamp, it doesnt even show you the 'you have block this poster so you cant read this message' thing, it just makes it invisible entirely. its super great.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
the best part about the block list now is that since the site revamp, it doesnt even show you the 'you have block this poster so you cant read this message' thing, it just makes it invisible entirely. its super great.
Huh. I didn't know. I'm still sticking with the old style. :p

Cool little thing then, I guess. /still ain't blocking/ Clearly I have terrible defenses.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
SGD and Winning Steak Cinemas. *shrug*
You're shooting yourself in the foot if that's all you check up on.
Hmm, if I quote a blocked user, will their quote still show up on KID/Infzy's screens?

This would require scientific research if I wasn't so damn lazy.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
My point is that it just looks worse because there is no place for productive discussion. Hell, no one even wants productive discussion cept maybe you. Look at the newest matchup and stage threads and the guide. So what might normally be 10% of my posts as one liners and trolling is....well 90%.

For the record, if anyone wants to quite this part for Infzy, KID pretty much does the same thing (talk trash about everyone) and he doesn't just do it on the boards either. He also doesn't have any contributions to the community I know of besides writing some really bad guides outlining super simple stuff. I think he is pretty funny most of the time (kind of reminds me of vegeta's attitude :p), but I can't imagine everyone does when all he does is trash talk....everyone. Wrong is wrong, and signing up on the site before we did doesn't make him less of a jerk.
[collapse="I wonder if this was long enough to warrant a collapse box"]That's not my beef though.

It's the fact that he's moreorless stopped all-together. The fact of the matter is that even if his words of wisdom weren't... wise, he's stopped trying to help. (Maybe trying to work by himself hasn't stopped, which is alright I suppose, but yeah~...)

It makes me depressed honestly.

I'm not sure how many people at this point can relate since there's just so many new people, but I remember a time when this place use to be fun. Both the trolls and the productive people could get along, because frankly people were either both or I suppose it may have been the atmosphere. It's easy for me to see it now, but back then we all kind of sucked, and maybe the humorous mood had us coming back for more. "More" being the comedic relief or to get better as an individual or as a group.

Maybe that's it though. Maybe I'm just so slow on "growing up" that I don't want to give up on the idea that we can get that back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that there are still people that try to get better, and certainly the overall skill-level has increased since... but I feel that it's just become more concentrated, it hasn't been distributed elsewhere; into other people.

I feel a sense of pity. Sure you have your rising stars like D1AOS, WEDGE, Cloud, and so on, but at the same time, we've lost just as many valuable members to the community. There are also people who I see that struggle to get on that "rising star" status and the longer they linger in mediocrity, the better of a chance they have on thinking "aww forget this, this isn't worth it." For obvious reasons I won't call out specific names, but I'm sure everyone knows who they are and what they want to do, as well as how equally tough it is...

I also feel that it creates some slippery slope that just makes more people follow suit, and that's how metagame dies. It especially hurts me because some-

... No, rather all of them, were people I looked up too. About the people who have retired since.

Hey Speed, if you're reading this, tell me Wedge misinterpreted it when he told me that you retired for good.

... and if it's true that he's gone, that's my point. I respect Speed despite for the longest time ever having this defeatist attitude because even with it he somehow managed to give me samples to work with and give me a reason to press onward. Now I'm stuck over here thinking "what could I have done to help prevent an early retirement." No one will tell me otherwise that this sucks and that it's still too soon that he's moved on elsewhere.

Though I have to wonder sometimes if it's just me that thinks like this. I get my drive from other people, because I know that for whatever reason, without constant support I would've given up on myself so long ago. I also feel that with all the generosity that I've been offered up until now, I must return the favor and do better not only for myself, but for the same people who sometime ago I use to be in their same shoes.

Now it's either that, or I have to feel sorry if somehow Sonic's metagame ends up being left in the sole hands of some idiot who at this point in time still believes that everyone around him is capable of the greatest of accomplishments but he himself is doomed to failure in the end.
[/collapse]

So how has everyone been?
Pretty fantastic actually. Yourself?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. I can still see quotes of blocked people. yes. but id prefer not to.

2. Honestly, in the time since pound, while trying to train and get good in marvel, ive noticed 2 things.
a. its not worth the time it takes to post in here, so why bother. at this point, its the same low-mid level people either trolling or rehashing the same tired old techs that people like me/espy/fizzie learned and discovered 2-3 years ago. Whats the point in coming here to discuss what options sonic has when he hits shield with a spindash for the 10th time with people who quite honestly have a vastly lower understanding of the game and how its mechanics work. like, how many times am i going to have to explain how sonics priority works or the mechanics of grab releases? I might as well let people either figure it out for themselves or just hit people up directly for stuff like that. Which incidently, brings me to...
b. At this point, anybody thats good with sonic isnt going to learn anything new from coming here. and because of that, LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE SONIC that i would consider good, past or present, doesnt post here anymore.
Speed? gone
Espy? Has Backroom and mod threads are more deserving of his time.
__X__? never needed this place to begin with.
MeekSpeedy? Arikie? if you werent on aib you would have never even heard of them despite the fact that theyve been around forever.
BAM: tries to stop by everyother month or so, and drop some knowledge, turns out that im the only one who ever pays him any mind, and even tho we butt heads, i still get along fine with him, and have improve a fair deal from him. has anybody else? not that I know of.
D1aos? he posts vids. gets advice from me, kin, and espy, and disappears until either i call him out on not being as good as me (which I still am, doesnt matter what you say, =P lol) or he goes to another tourney as has more vids
Trent? Posts mainly to drop tiny bits of info. and than bounces. I bet yall didnt even know that hes ranked number 1 in his state right now...
Kai? always hated this place
Shugo/Malcolm? even after they stopped playing sonic, they stuck around for a while just to drop info and be social, but that doesnt even happen anymore.

its becoming almost a prerequisite that in order to be a good sonic player you have to not come here. its like reading tesh/wedge posts decrease your IQ and in game ability or something. Excel is a perfect example. he loves the both of them, goes to tourneys, gets exposed.

despite the fact that im not doing tourneys regularly, i still plan to go to them and place high and if I gotta not come here to do so, so be it. no reason to let this place hold me down if nobodys even going to listen to me enough to improve to begin with.

So yea. Good bye sonic boards, hello high tourney placings.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
*****, I haven't played this game in over 2 months AND my scene is completely dead. I don't have **** to prove to anyone at all. I play just to play. You're the one trying to prove something to someone. The only thing you've managed to prove is that you're good at running your mouth and not much else. Keep my name out of your mouth when you're trying to talk bad about people. When it comes down to it, if I WANTED to be known, I'd be more concerned about this game instead of my personal life.

Hop off my ****. Kthnx.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I havent played this game since pound, and I only had 4 people in my scene to begin with. I dont see the problem... and if you really dont care about the game, which is what i think your trying to imply, why are you so salty to begin with?

ps. I wasnt talking bad about you at all, I like you, and i think your a chill person with some really unfortunate circumstances that I really wish i could help you out with, but that doesnt change the fact that you get your spot blown up at tourneys.

infomon

Smash Scientist
You're shooting yourself in the foot if that's all you check up on.
Oh no, maybe I misunderstood the question.. I'm subscribed to lots of threads. Just those are the ones that have been particularly spammy lately, but I'm hesitant to unsubscribe from, because they should sometimes have useful discussion.

SGD only because of that big stupid push by the moderators to stop people from making new threads for their "simple" questions (causing lots of question threads to be locked prematurely, and lots of questions to be nebulously lost in giant spam threads).

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I havent played this game since pound, and I only had 4 people in my scene to begin with. I dont see the problem... and if you really dont care about the game, which is what i think your trying to imply, why are you so salty to begin with?

ps. I wasnt talking bad about you at all, I like you, and i think your a chill person with some really unfortunate circumstances that I really wish i could help you out with, but that doesnt change the fact that you get your spot blown up at tourneys.
First, I haven't had the time to care about this game with all my life issues I've been getting resolved. Second, I never had consistent practice to begin with. Just an occasional smashfest and wifi that I played for like a hour or 2 a day. Thirdly, I don't care if I win or lose. I enjoy the competition. If I wanted to win, I'd continue to play ICs/MK only.

Last, the last tournament I attend I played Sorasin, a Falco main who has ample Sonic experience and Mister Eric. Who if I'm not mistaken, beat you pretty roughly.

So yeah. Afk.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
... uh-huh.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm just gonna be hanging around here, not giving a crap and having fun with this game. Oh, while fighting hard to place high too. If it happens, it happens. I can only get better.

You make such a big deal of it, and you honestly think that a forum is what's holding you back?? DISCLAIMER: You're good and everything.

But the second that you place blame on something else outside of your own weaknesses, you're destined to lose. Honestly, dude, just do your thing whether you post here or not. Guaranteed? Staying away from this place won't improve your game. Nor will sticking around.

It's all up to you. Just as it's up to everyone else in the same position.

Hope I see some of you guys at Genesis 2. :)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
beat me pretty roughly?

if last stock last hit getting hit by a super lucky/clutch wallbounce nair is getting beat roughly then w/e.

@cloud, dont have the cash for that,but maybe il come visit you someday.

Tesh

Smash Hero
[collapse="I wonder if this was long enough to warrant a collapse box"]That's not my beef though.

It's the fact that he's moreorless stopped all-together. The fact of the matter is that even if his words of wisdom weren't... wise, he's stopped trying to help. (Maybe trying to work by himself hasn't stopped, which is alright I suppose, but yeah~...)

It makes me depressed honestly.

I'm not sure how many people at this point can relate since there's just so many new people, but I remember a time when this place use to be fun. Both the trolls and the productive people could get along, because frankly people were either both or I suppose it may have been the atmosphere. It's easy for me to see it now, but back then we all kind of sucked, and maybe the humorous mood had us coming back for more. "More" being the comedic relief or to get better as an individual or as a group.

Maybe that's it though. Maybe I'm just so slow on "growing up" that I don't want to give up on the idea that we can get that back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that there are still people that try to get better, and certainly the overall skill-level has increased since... but I feel that it's just become more concentrated, it hasn't been distributed elsewhere; into other people.

I feel a sense of pity. Sure you have your rising stars like D1AOS, WEDGE, Cloud, and so on, but at the same time, we've lost just as many valuable members to the community. There are also people who I see that struggle to get on that "rising star" status and the longer they linger in mediocrity, the better of a chance they have on thinking "aww forget this, this isn't worth it." For obvious reasons I won't call out specific names, but I'm sure everyone knows who they are and what they want to do, as well as how equally tough it is...

I also feel that it creates some slippery slope that just makes more people follow suit, and that's how metagame dies. It especially hurts me because some-

... No, rather all of them, were people I looked up too. About the people who have retired since.

Hey Speed, if you're reading this, tell me Wedge misinterpreted it when he told me that you retired for good.

... and if it's true that he's gone, that's my point. I respect Speed despite for the longest time ever having this defeatist attitude because even with it he somehow managed to give me samples to work with and give me a reason to press onward. Now I'm stuck over here thinking "what could I have done to help prevent an early retirement." No one will tell me otherwise that this sucks and that it's still too soon that he's moved on elsewhere.

Though I have to wonder sometimes if it's just me that thinks like this. I get my drive from other people, because I know that for whatever reason, without constant support I would've given up on myself so long ago. I also feel that with all the generosity that I've been offered up until now, I must return the favor and do better not only for myself, but for the same people who sometime ago I use to be in their same shoes.

Now it's either that, or I have to feel sorry if somehow Sonic's metagame ends up being left in the sole hands of some idiot who at this point in time still believes that everyone around him is capable of the greatest of accomplishments but he himself is doomed to failure in the end.
[/collapse]

Pretty fantastic actually. Yourself?

As far as Speed goes, his Sonic inspired me, but it all comes down to what he wants. At the end of the day, its still just a party game and its supposed to be fun. We all enjoyed and loved Speed's Brawl career, but if he didn't he needs to go find something he will enjoy. He isn't supposed to be doing it for us, thats just a bonus. For some people, its actually less interesting when you are good at it or winning most of the time.

As far as people being "stuck", I'm not sure if anyone is putting in serious work and not seeing improvement. Its just folks in isolated areas or being lazy/johning about it and not practicing.

Its pretty late as far as metagame stuff. As far as taking care of new sonics, I think we really just need all the info organized into the right places, but it doesn't seem like many people care about that.

1. I can still see quotes of blocked people. yes. but id prefer not to.

2. Honestly, in the time since pound, while trying to train and get good in marvel, ive noticed 2 things.
a. its not worth the time it takes to post in here, so why bother. at this point, its the same low-mid level people either trolling or rehashing the same tired old techs that people like me/espy/fizzie learned and discovered 2-3 years ago. Whats the point in coming here to discuss what options sonic has when he hits shield with a spindash for the 10th time with people who quite honestly have a vastly lower understanding of the game and how its mechanics work. like, how many times am i going to have to explain how sonics priority works or the mechanics of grab releases? I might as well let people either figure it out for themselves or just hit people up directly for stuff like that. Which incidently, brings me to...
b. At this point, anybody thats good with sonic isnt going to learn anything new from coming here. and because of that, LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE SONIC that i would consider good, past or present, doesnt post here anymore.
Speed? gone
Espy? Has Backroom and mod threads are more deserving of his time.
__X__? never needed this place to begin with.
MeekSpeedy? Arikie? if you werent on aib you would have never even heard of them despite the fact that theyve been around forever.
BAM: tries to stop by everyother month or so, and drop some knowledge, turns out that im the only one who ever pays him any mind, and even tho we butt heads, i still get along fine with him, and have improve a fair deal from him. has anybody else? not that I know of.
D1aos? he posts vids. gets advice from me, kin, and espy, and disappears until either i call him out on not being as good as me (which I still am, doesnt matter what you say, =P lol) or he goes to another tourney as has more vids
Trent? Posts mainly to drop tiny bits of info. and than bounces. I bet yall didnt even know that hes ranked number 1 in his state right now...
Kai? always hated this place
Shugo/Malcolm? even after they stopped playing sonic, they stuck around for a while just to drop info and be social, but that doesnt even happen anymore.

its becoming almost a prerequisite that in order to be a good sonic player you have to not come here. its like reading tesh/wedge posts decrease your IQ and in game ability or something. Excel is a perfect example. he loves the both of them, goes to tourneys, gets exposed.

despite the fact that im not doing tourneys regularly, i still plan to go to them and place high and if I gotta not come here to do so, so be it. no reason to let this place hold me down if nobodys even going to listen to me enough to improve to begin with.

Wedge, you just earned yourself a high five, try not to break your monitor.

We trolled him away eh?

I'm still going with my "nice guy" sonic theory. But, I guess not posting here is easier than being a good person in general.

Espy, You should let the other mods know that the ignore feature is not strong enough to contain our might. See how this man runs in fear of our words and pictures.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Dude. Come visit me in Alberta? LMAO

Seriously, I think that we as a community are pretty legit when it comes to skill, but honest to god? Not worth your time with how small we are, unless you lived like, stupidly close to begin with. :p I'll give you the heads up when our tourney scenes reach over 40/50 people constantly.

Until then, you're coming to tourneys that typically have 15 people per monthly on a good day, 20+ on a lucky day nowadays. A regional here would bring 30/40 people probably unless we somehow hyped it properly. Yyyeah we're small don't come visit me. At this rate and if Brawl's still alive, I'll visit YOU if we meet at the same tourney. :p

Life

Smash Hero
Hey KID.

Pittsburgh Brawl is for all intents and purposes dead. We have /hope twice a year (and apparently Smash Nation now, IDK how it'll work out) and that's it (well, Duq has Melee weeklies buuuuut).

Likewise, this means my Sonic doesn't get to come out and play in a real setting more than a couple times a year. Basically, as long as I stay in this area (and I love it to death so that's likely) my Sonic will likely remain meh at best.

What does this have to do with you? Well, the point is that I'm basically doomed to mediocrity in this game (barring someone starting more-regular tournaments or me moving/traveling more). I suck not because I come to this board and chill with the trolls (who are surprisingly kind to me, well Tesh at least--dwell on that for a bit) but simply because I don't play humans enough.

I'm kind of a jerk to you--and for that I apologize (although I'll probably continue bothering you about the 13th thing :troll: or maybe not, /shrug).

... I forget where I was going with this post.

tl;dr I think you're taking us too seriously. Relax a bit, k?

Tesh

Smash Hero
KID respects alot of people now eh? I thought everyone cept Espy, __X__ and him were trash though? I remember reading it in a study or something.....on the internet.

found it :
top sonics are me espy and X and nobody else really matters.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'd like to be more contributive toward Sonic discussion, particularly actual physical experience that I can relay, but the Smash scene where I'm at has been completely dysfunctional for the past couple of months. Oklahoma met with a grand revival of Melee of sorts when Hazygoose came back, and it was "Melee Melee Melee" for a while, which then did a 180 at the monthly tournament last week, when four Melee players showed up. Pretty sure that pissed them all off.

The few Brawl players we have here in Norman, myself included, have all had other things occupying our time as well. Bassem is really dedicated to League of Legends, TypEx hardly plays the game anymore and relies predominantly on his innate skill, and when he does play a game, it's MvC, and I have had classes, a Fire Emblem craze I never saw coming, a job, and a relationship I had been trying to salvage due to a lack of speaking from her, which then broke apart, and seeing her with another man soon after which took me down completely. The only person I can say had little going on comparably was TriforceofChozo, and he himself has classes going on and is mostly associated with another forum. The most we Brawl players here do is go out and eat at a fancy bar every Wednesday night and smash afterward, but that's just once a week, and the last time we actually did that was about a month ago. This weekend me and Bassem are going back home for summer vacation, which will only make this scene even more inactive.

There are other Brawl players in OKC, but they do not have accounts here and we've never had a way to talk with them, so communication and a sense of community was shot.

I could try to do online stuff, since I do have an online community I talk with, but the problem is, they never do anything. Most of the time when I walk into the xat it's talk about goddamn My Little Pony, MvC, Touhou/Blazblue, correcting other people's typos because we apparently can't handle the fact that a word was spelled incorrectly, or picking on a 13-year old Meta Knight player, who's actually kinda good, and is just trying to fit in, for no goddamn reason. I would join online tournaments, but you can see for yourself how many OTs on this board that have been attempted have made it past the first round in the bracket within the start of the year; I'm willing to bet there's no more than 15. The one tournament that manages to stay active (somehow) is the weekly fling every Friday night, but it's always the same old crowd every damn time, some of which don't even show up in the xat except for that purpose (LOOKING AT YOU, DUALSEEKER). The OTL Social Thread is filled with people who don't even play the game anymore and who want to increase their postcount and pretty much never heard of an #IRC, the entire online community on SWF is basically shit.

Point is, as much as I would love to join in discussion and help promote the Sonic metagame, I have just had no way to do so, whether it's because of pressure being put on the Norman Brawl players from other things, or the LOL that is the Online community. I'm on Ripple's and John12346's ranking list for Sonic because I won that money in an OK local which had players I hardly ever see and so we can never improve with each other, and I got away with it by doing mundane Sonic tricks that should have been broken apart 2 years ago. I just have no way to play the game and get better aside from once-a-moon friendlies, and so I can't do anything to contribute, as much as I would like to.

/rant

Top Bottom