• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SFU Smash Tournaments - Burnaby BC, May 31st + June 7th - 64/Melee/Brawl

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
just trying to get my point across, 1 cause its ******** 2 cause lucas is pretty fun to play 3 its like wobbling but takes no skill ; / and if we banned wobbling why not this?

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
All I'm saying is that if it is an infinite and requires no skill to pull off I shouldn't have been able to escape from the grab. Its not that important. Just don't use them against Marth or evade Marth at close range.

Anyways, I don't think this argument needs to go on any further in this thread.

Clouderz

Smash Ace
i would like to go to june 7th brawl singles, so you can sign me up for that >___> its at SFU for all i know from you guys talking, or is it the red dot on that map you provided, i dont know

is there an age limit..? just wondering, oh yeah, whats the pot money, if you come it first, haha, is there a prize?

ty :)

Zm4rf

Smash Cadet
I just CAN'T wait til the Brawl TOURNEY!

It MIGHT just be BETTER than the WI-FI that NINTENDO gave us.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
i would like to go to june 7th brawl singles, so you can sign me up for that >___> its at SFU for all i know from you guys talking, or is it the red dot on that map you provided, i dont know

is there an age limit..? just wondering, oh yeah, whats the pot money, if you come it first, haha, is there a prize?

ty :)
It's 60% of the pot. Pot = everyone's entrance fee. The red dot is the building at SFU that the tournament is being held. SFU's a huge place =P

just trying to get my point across, 1 cause its ******** 2 cause lucas is pretty fun to play 3 its like wobbling but takes no skill ; / and if we banned wobbling why not this?
1. Wobbling wasn't banned. It was at some tournaments, but not many others
2. Wobbling was banned in some cases because it was an infinite on EVERY character in the game. An infinite only two characters can do against two other characters each isn't the same thing

Clouderz

Smash Ace
firestorm it seems like no one is answering my question, btw, thx for the help

is there an age limit for the people that sign up??

Clouderz

Smash Ace
sorry for 2nd post, probably a stupid question, but do i sign up here, or do i go to SFU, where the tourney is held, sign up, and pay my fee?

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
HOW TO GET OUT OF MARTH'S INFINITE GRAB RELEASE COMBO:

Don't pick Ness or Lucas against him.

Seriously, just call double blinds for the first round (if they don't know who you play), and just make sure you have an alt ready in case they counterpick to Marth in later rounds. Just because Dedede can infinite DK doesn't mean I'm going to stop playing DK; it just means I'll be someone else against DDD. Given the (lack of) technicality in Brawl, it's not hard to pick up another character. Is there some unwritten rule in Smash that you are forced to play one character and one character only?

Besides, in Melee (and in Brawl) the ICs have some kind of an infinite grab (on everyone), and they weren't (and still aren't) winning every tournament, Melee or Brawl, under the sun when it was/is allowed. Why not? Because the other player managed to not get grabbed. It's that simple.

Edit: @Clouderz:

First of all, there's a nice little "edit" button in the corner of your posts. Use that instead of double posting, it's much nicer to everyone else reading.

Second, there is no age limit as far as I can tell, though I'm sure people are expected to act maturely, to some degree. Sportsmanship and all that jazz. Just common sense, right? :)

Third, it's best to say you're going (whether it's for sure or not) here, so unityole can get some idea of the number of people showing up. Payment and actual registration is done on site, though.

unityole

Smash Lord
sorry for 2nd post, probably a stupid question, but do i sign up here, or do i go to SFU, where the tourney is held, sign up, and pay my fee?
It's 60% of the pot. Pot = everyone's entrance fee. The red dot is the building at SFU that the tournament is being held. SFU's a huge place =P

kk let me clear things up.
Clouderz, everyone will put in 10 dollars on saturday June 7th for those who are entering brawl must pay. then the money will gather up will be called the POT just like in poker if you never played poker before..

then we play games, lots of games, unless you get knock out real quick, like me.
the percent split is the standard, 60/30/10 % for 1st 2nd and 3rd place. so for example if theres a 100 dollars in the pot, first place gets 60 dollars blah blah.

there is NO age limit unless you're a kid and is under the age of 12, i mean seriously, kids not allowed to play this game, its bloody and people dies. rated teen

NOW FOR THE LOCATION.

THE RED DOT ON THAT MAP I DREW IS A COLOUR INDICATION FOR THE PATH BELOW IT. only thing i can assume is you don't read enough map to notice this. it might be my fault since RED is a strong colour but then you'll also notice the Arrow / path is red..

one last thing, you DO register at the time of the tourney, be here at 10:30 on June 7th.
THE BRAWL SINGLES TOURNAMENT on June 7th will start the SAMETIME as melee doubles, as requested by the VICTORIA crew.

ANYMORE QUESTIONS on the day of the event call my cell, 722 7798, try both 604 and 778...

First of all, there's a nice little "edit" button in the corner of your posts. Use that instead of double posting, it's much nicer to everyone else reading.

Second, there is no age limit as far as I can tell, though I'm sure people are expected to act maturely, to some degree. Sportsmanship and all that jazz. Just common sense, right? :)

Third, it's best to say you're going (whether it's for sure or not) here, so unityole can get some idea of the number of people showing up. Payment and actual registration is done on site, though.
TY, just one thing, about your 2nd point.
sportsmanship.. when i lose i snap and whine, i make johns :)

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
TY, just one thing, about your 2nd point.
sportsmanship.. when i lose i snap and whine, i make johns :)
As long as it doesn't turn into fist fights, I guess I'll agree. :p I just meant "don't be a prick, someone's working really hard to make this happen, so show some respect for the people around you", but sportsmanship was the first word that came to mind.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice

1. Wobbling wasn't banned. It was at some tournaments, but not many others
2. Wobbling was banned in some cases because it was an infinite on EVERY character in the game. An infinite only two characters can do against two other characters each isn't the same thing
The reason wobbling wasnt banned was one, cause A: it was hard to do and had lots of screw ups after a little while
B: if you miss a grab in meele you were punished hard, not so much in brawl aka reward/risk vs/ reward/no risk,
And for the first round i might be ok, but the 2nd round id pick first , and if they pick marth it litterly means i lose. Its just stupid that a glitch will remove 2 characters from tourny play due to us not banning it, all its doing is removing to characters competitivly, and where is the fun in that.

Clouderz

Smash Ace
its so much more clear now lmfao >____>, so for sure ill be there on june 7th, brawl singles :D

but is there brawl singles on the 31st? it seems so >__> just want someone to confirm that for me please

im gonna have fun driving here rofl >___> no idea where SFU is. but ill find it....

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
The reason wobbling wasnt banned was one, cause A: it was hard to do and had lots of screw ups after a little while
B: if you miss a grab in meele you were punished hard, not so much in brawl aka reward/risk vs/ reward/no risk,
And for the first round i might be ok, but the 2nd round id pick first , and if they pick marth it litterly means i lose. Its just stupid that a glitch will remove 2 characters from tourny play due to us not banning it, all its doing is removing to characters competitivly, and where is the fun in that.
Why are you making such a big deal about the Marth release grab combo when Yoshi can do it to 9 different characters? DDD can infinite 5 characters. Even if they can't kill right after like Marth can (though I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know if it does or not), it still does a ton of damage.

In Melee, the Sheik/Pika matchup was pretty broken. Sheik can dthrow Pika to a fairly high amount fairly easily, then follow it up with ftilt -> fair or something like that. I don't see anyone advocating the banning of Sheik's dthrow.

In short, it's just a few matchups. What's wrong with having an alt just in case they pick Marth? They counterpick Marth, you pick Falco and chainthrow them back or whatever you're supposed to do. Problem solved. It's not hard to get used to another character. I seem to have learned DK pretty quickly (though I want to play more people with it). Brawl has more than two characters.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
Did, shiek have an instant kill grab against pika? no... he didnt
Also, i just dont like the fact that i cant pick lucas after the first match. i have tons of other characters to play, its just stupid. to keep such a technique in the game.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Also, i just dont like the fact that i cant pick lucas after the first match. i have tons of other characters to play, its just stupid. to keep such a technique in the game.
jack said he wasn't going to ban it already, if you're so concerned about it just take it to the brawl boards. I think thats the 11th post you've made about this "marth" thing

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
more like 5 post, and its not just marth, and ya im looking into on the brawl board too o_0 anyways just argueing with someone not jack.

Clouderz

Smash Ace
O.K, just to make this straight, both May 31st and June 7th, both have brawl singles, registration starts at 10 am and brawl singles start at 11 am after doubles....ok i got it

definite confirm me on june 7th for brawl singles after doubles at 11,

May 31st also has singles, after doubles as well at 11 am? o_O

edit:

god ****it dont listen to me guys >__> im an idiot and i didnt read all the posts

confirm me for both days for brawl singles, ill be there at 10:30 may 31st and june 7th, i think thats a reasonable time for me to be at that place

thx for the help on getting me organized with this

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Dedede has an instant kill grab on a bunch of the cast. As does Ice Climbers I believe. I see no bans on those and I never saw you argue for a ban on those.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
its pokemon trainer2/3 marth pit and quite a few others from my understanding, but ya i could care less about the other ones i havent witnessed them, or know there true ect so i wont touch those atm.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Look, it's pretty much been decided that the infinite will stay in this tournament, so any arguing here is pretty moot. It seems that no matter what is said, I don't think anyone will budge. Camerican, I'm sorry you just happened to try to get good at a character only to find out that he can be defeated pretty easily in a few particular matchups, but you're going to have to deal with it (at least for now), either by avoiding said matchups or just not getting grabbed. If you want to keep arguing, it would probably be easier on all of us in this topic if you kept it to the original topic in whatever Brawl board it was. Let's not completely derail the thread's original topic, which is about two FREAKING SWEET tournaments coming up. Don't kill the hype with arguing that won't go anywhere. :p

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
Bah , ima go learn icies and dedede and marth and abuse infinites to win eveyr tourny in existance till there banned then! *joke* i dont even main lucas, its just a ******** thing to keep in the game... imo but whatever il proly be going to the 31st tourny.

Lageno

Smash Rookie
Any estimate on what time the singles will start? Will you need to be there at 11:00 to compete at all? I'm just wondering if I can sleep in a little longer, as I'm just going to be there for singles, not playing doubles.
I assume doubles is 2v2 team battles, right?

Rampage

vx
Any estimate on what time the singles will start? Will you need to be there at 11:00 to compete at all? I'm just wondering if I can sleep in a little longer, as I'm just going to be there for singles, not playing doubles.
Well if you're coming on the 31st then you don't need to be there at 11 since doubles usually starts first then singles. But according to jack if you're wanting to compete in the brawl singles on the 7th you'll need to be there at 11

unityole

Smash Lord
are custom controls allowed?
as of now, its not allowed. I'm not too familiar with brawl stuff but if what i remembered was correct that melee gaming doesnt allow custom controls etc. i will have to look into it more.
good question though, anyone with info please post, thanks.

Ok. I'm in for the 31st for sure. Day off work confirmed. I will be bringing a Wii + Brawl.
great, and please do bring the setup as we might need everything / anything possible.

Brawl singles on 7th will start sametime as melee doubles at 11:00am
brawl singles on 31st, will start after brawl doubles, which is maybe noon to 2 pm? be on your toes and try to make it here earlier, if you missed it then it will be gg for you.

why not join double as well? its a good warm up and its fun!

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Controller mods that alter control/button sensitivity are not allowed what so ever.
Controller mods that change its cosmetics (Color/Plastic casing) or anything exterior of the like are allowed.
Changing cosmetics will not affect a players ability to play smash and the match will still be on even playing fields.

If cosmetics were banned I wouldnt be able to play smash :p

x_nintensity_x

Smash Journeyman
Controller mods that alter control/button sensitivity are not allowed what so ever.
Controller mods that change its cosmetics (Color/Plastic casing) or anything exterior of the like are allowed.
Changing cosmetics will not affect a players ability to play smash and the match will still be on even playing fields.

If cosmetics were banned I wouldnt be able to play smash :p
LOL I remember someone made an "Auto L-cancel" controller back in the old days of SSBM ... sigh ahahha i wonder if it worked?

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
I hope custom controls are allowed; I'm not used to playing Brawl with Tap Jump on.

I don't know if I'm bringing my Wii, but I know I'll be bringing my GC at least.

Top Bottom