• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sexy Poses!: An In-Depth Move Analysis for Zelda - Move #18-20, 22 Up/Down B, Dash A

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
Just to add to this you can shield their attack and get a regrab. You can walk after them and attempt fsmash or dash usmash. Depending on what the opponent did you should catch them. Also I'd like to point out that if they jump you can try and cover their landing.
There won't be many things Zelda will be grabbing with that frame 12 grab :/ . But it's still an option as opposed to doing nothing.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I think everything has been covered with Dthrow, at least what I can see. Just pay attention to their DI and be able to react. Everything will be fine afterward lol.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
There won't be many things Zelda will be grabbing with that frame 12 grab :/ . But it's still an option as opposed to doing nothing.
You should be able to grab most characters with Zelda if they bair you when you're shielding.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Up throw, an often underused throw among most Zeldas. Also one of her weaker throws, along with down throw. It does what, 10 damage? I'll have to double check when I get home.

I find up throw most useful at early percents, like even at 0, you can try to follow up with an up air. It's not guaranteed of course. Up throw at mid/high percents is hardly useful imo, unless you're REALLY good at baiting air dodges for an up air/upsmash. I believe up throw can kill most characters after 200, if fresh lol.

I remember awhile back, a Sonic main kept telling me repeatedly to use Zelda's up throw like Sonic does his. He told me to just try and follow their landings and punish. We practiced it a few times just for fun, and I was only able to punish his landings like 1/3 of the time. Sonic benefits from this more than Zelda because he's fast. Zelda is... well, slow as heck of course.

I don't know, I guess it's a decent mix up option, especially if you've become pro at reading your opponent's landings in advance. It's a little situational imo, but I wouldn't dismiss it entirely either. Too bad Zelda can't chain grab or something with it =P

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Thats similar to how i feel about up throw. except i feel it becomes less decent after mid percents because they go to high and Zelda moves to slow to follow after them well.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Up throw is probably her second most useful throw. It throws pretty far. Some characters who are poor in air movement or punishing below them should be threatened of this move. If you want someone on a platform, go ahead and throw 'em up!

Of course, it is mediocre at best. Dthrow is obviously far superior and most likely your throw of choice at lower percents, but gets worse the more % your opponent obtains. Use Uthrow for mixups because it's hardly ever used and to be a little safer on stages with platforms. It's also another way to bait air dodges with Usmash/Uair.

3/5. While ironically her second most useful throw, it's also a throw use should use sparingly. If you start using too many Dthrows at the beginning of a stock then your opponent will catch on (especially in longer sets), so use Uthrow instead if available. It is less viable (like a 2/5) on stages with no platforms.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I like up throw. Basically it gets your opponent above you, which is...

I think I posted something like this on the guide thread. brb copy pasting

I like tech chasing with dthrow and upthrow on platforms.

Up throw's decent because it gets people above you, right where you want them. A large majority of the cast have horrible dair attacks, and considering we have attacks with dumb hitboxes, it's good on smaller stages.

Air dodge beats up air, but bait air dodge > up air/usmash is pretty scary. =P

imo, anyway. lol
lol

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I think her Uthrow is her best throw, for reasons already listed. It gets opponents above Zelda and at least gives us a better chance to follow up instead of Dthrow, which has nothing after proper DI.

:phone:

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Up throw is probably her second most useful throw.
I think her Uthrow is her best throw

lol wat?

How is Up throw her second best throw?

Damage wise, F throw is best with 11%.

Knockback wise it's B throw, which can kill some light weight characters near the ledge.

Set up/follow up wise it's D throw.

All of her throws have at least something a little redeemable that stands out about them...except for up throw.

I mean yeah it sends the opponent above her but you're much more likely to get a follow up from them not DI'ing d throw than you are with Up throw.
The only situation I can think to use this move over her other throw is at a place like PictoChat when there's **** above you to throw someone into, or if you're other throws are stale.
Or maybe if you're fighting a character who does terrible in the air (Zelda ditto's?).

Probably her least useful throw, not terrible or anything but certainly not her best.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
i laugh at fujin's gifs... sometimes... maybe a bit more than sometimes... :mad:

i do like up throw because she can jump immediately after they finish hitstun so she gets close to her opponent from beneath. don't you find the threat of uair can sometimes force airdodges/double jumps? i think this is good from uthrow because you can plan to read those --> i.e. they double jump = you dj and uair, they airdodge = wait and uair etc etc... uthrow imo is good for these situations. even if they DI it sharply to the left and right you can still chase.

fthrow does 12.something% iirc. it's her most damaging throw!

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
lol wat?

How is Up throw her second best throw?

Damage wise, F throw is best with 11%.

Knockback wise it's B throw, which can kill some light weight characters near the ledge.

Set up/follow up wise it's D throw.

All of her throws have at least something a little redeemable that stands out about them...except for up throw.

I mean yeah it sends the opponent above her but you're much more likely to get a follow up from them not DI'ing d throw than you are with Up throw.
The only situation I can think to use this move over her other throwa is at a place like PictoChat when there's **** above you to throw someone into, or if you're other throws are stale.
Or maybe if you're fighting a character who does terrible in the air (Zelda ditto's?).

Probably her least useful throw, not terrible or anything but certainly not her best.
It's one of Zelda's few moves that put her in a favorable position. You can potential land an uair from uthrow. It depends though and it's all been detailed before in past threads. Learn to read your opponent I'm sick and tired of your crying.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
On paper, up throw might sound good but I rarely see it used in Zelda videos. I also don't use it at all either unless it's on a whim.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Lol me saying a move is mediocre is crying?

Then again you're the one who tinks she has a good grab and doesn't lose to Lucario or ZSS:awesome:.

INB4 Katifae infracts me for "trolling"

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
At lower percentages I prefer up throw to down throw.

I almost never forward throw unless if gets them off stage.

dthrow > bthrow > uthrow > fthrow imo.

Edit:

Also up throw kills Mario at like, 168%.

But Mario should never be at 168%.

You could have killed him 50% ago with up-smash lul

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
GUYS.

So I tested some stuff with up throw. Actually I found out some interesting things with her throws in general. Okay, first off, up throw does 11 damage. It's not her weakest damage throw. Also, if both up throw and up air are fresh, you can do a total of 26 damage to your opponent from up throw + up air at early percent.

Stage uses: Up throw is useful on Pictochat when the spiked flower shows up above you. On platforms, it seems easier to punish their landings. On Rainbow Cruise, you can try up throw on the swinging pendulum so that they'll be sent to the yellow blocks. If they tech it, you can try to follow up with an upsmash or aerial of choice. If they land on the pendulum again, you can down smash or follow up with another move (preferably a ground move) of your choice. If their damage is kinda high, down smash may kill them, since you'd be rather close to the death zones.

Teams: If your partner is comfy with the exact position your opponent will be in after you up throw them, they can try to follow up with an aerial of their own. Oh and if you accidentally grab your partner and he's at really high percents, you can up throw him to avoid killing him (unless he's like at 180 + or something, or is a Jigglypuff xD) Down throw would work too but it's slow, and your opponent can try to punish your partner after it.

I found out something BROKEN with Zelda's f-throw but I'll leave that for when we discuss it.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Hehe...

There's a spot on Rainbow Cruise (and I'll take a screen shot of the exact place when I get home) where when you forward throw someone, it will ALWAYS stage spike them.

The thing that sucks about this is that because of how situational it is, the aware players will avoid that one spot if they can and we'll have to wait a whole cycle of Rainbow Cruise before getting to that spot again. Btw, I'm starting to like this stage more and more. Love Jump all dai.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Lol me saying a move is mediocre is crying?

Then again you're the one who tinks she has a good grab and doesn't lose to Lucario or ZSS:awesome:.

INB4 Katifae infracts me for "trolling"

I was going to have this long post but then I remembered you don't play to win. I'm not even sure why I even bother with you anymore you're such a joke.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
(Swear to god Keatifae if you give me infractions for saying all of scarys MU opinions are -1 then he better get at least 2 for this)
I'm getting reported ? because I brought up the fact you yourself said you didn't play to win....wow man.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
When you report someone, the staff in charge get an email.

I know, because I tried reporting myself once and some random mod is liek: "Don't report yourself."

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
a good solution imo is to use the ignore list if your opinions are always going to clash in this way.

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
I find U-throw her most useless throw (slightly ahead of f-throw lol). Can't seem to followup with it consistently. Bad throw is bad. :/

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
It's one of Zelda's few moves that put her in a favorable position. You can potential land an uair from uthrow.

The thing is that the other throws are simply better. Dthrow does everything better than Uthrow. Zelda is decent at punishing landing and Dthrow's knockback is ideal for that. She is not good at chasing someone in the air with a slow aerial.

Conclusion: Dthrow does everything better. Whenever you feel like Uthrowing, input down.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Well, there's at least a miniscule chance of combo-ing with down throw right?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

The thing is that the other throws are simply better. Dthrow does everything better than Uthrow. Zelda is decent at punishing landing and Dthrow's knockback is ideal for that. She is not good at chasing someone in the air with a slow aerial.

Conclusion: Dthrow does everything better. Whenever you feel like Uthrowing, input down.
Here in lies the problem with the Zelda boards and players. Instead of attempting to get a read on your opponent you opt to go for a move that's easily DI'd with no follow up and resets the position. Instead of going to one of the few moves that actually puts Zelda in an advantageous position. *smh*

Well, there's at least a miniscule chance of combo-ing with down throw right?
If an opponent DI's away there's no follow ups if they don't DI then you do have follow ups. If Zelda's back is to a wall then you have follow ups.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I don't think down throw will be DI'd out of every single time. People know about it and I can still do followups from time to time. Better than a throw with no combo potential at all.

I don't think down throw will be DI'd out of every single time. People know about it and I can still do followups from time to time. Better than a throw with no combo potential at all.
That really depends upon the skill of the person your playing. Someone unfamiliar to the match-up or someone who is simply bad at adapting likely won't change there DI very much.

Dthrow is a rather slow move and once you know the DI, getting the proper one every time should be expected. The only time it might really change is in the threat of the trajectory sending them into a wall or perhaps far off stage where they'll DI closer to the stage.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
There's slight combo potential from dthrow however, it isn't something you should try to incorporate into your game nor is it something you should expect to happen frequently. Even you can get the dthrow follows ups the that's amazing however, when your opponent starts to DI it there's simply no reason to continue doing dthrow. Also you have to ask yourself which is better setting yourself up with gimmicky combo's that are easily DI'd or putting Zelda in the best possible position she can be in.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Just sayin'... down throw followups happen enough for me to keep it in my gameplay.

Top Bottom