• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seriously guys, how are you all having trouble doing combos?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Okay, let me ask a question. Can you still hit people? Can you recover? Can you do a myriad of other things?
The opponent can move even before you can after an attack most of the time. Hence, no comboing for you. Especially not if they have good aerials to hit you should you approach.

I'm not certain I can believe it's impossible to use a move strategically. Why not use your attacks to build a situation that hurts the opponent?
Most of the time, you can't. The game mechanics won't allow you to efficiently create situations like that.

I know it's not a "true" combo, but this struck me as the kind of thing I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-doGSWl76g
Crappy player. It's not easy to combo just because crappy players get gimped. I can chaingrab people in PAL as Sheik. Heck, I can F-tilt spam people 3 times in a row as Sheik. I can even Dthrow to Dsmash as Peach. Does that mean those are actual combos? Hardly.

I'm trying to understand the argument here.

You can't get a situation where combos are inescapable, right?
You can if you play the right character.

That just sounds like it's forcing you to be more intelligent; use moves in ways that aren't handed to you by the mechanics of the game...
You can't the game mechanics works against it.

another problem with this argument is the fact that all its proponents pretend that you can't hit back. Sure you hit them then they recover before you can it them again and they hit you, so hit them back!!! whats so hard about that, so what you hit them they hit you back, do you just put your controller down at that point? geez
I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Are you saying we should launch people, then wait for them to hit us and then hit them back? There is no Crouch Cancel, so that won't work. No one's going to be as stupid as to hit you and then jump after you if you can hit them back (that's is why most combos end with strong attacks).

Stop quasi-trolling. It's not pretty.

Back to the original argument..

OP, you're obviously going to start **** with a post like this, jsut getting that out there.

Also, I agree. If you can't combo anyone past 3 moves you really aren't grasping the more hardcore part of the game. I've been playing Brawl now and I can combo pretty good. It's all about being comfortable with your character and knowing your opponent.

Also, why was this thread started? It seems useless IMO. Guess I'm just feuling the fire, but oh wellz lolol
When we talk about how easy it is to combo, we're speaking about in a hypothetical sense.

What if two strong players are playing each other? Not what if two mediocre players are playing each other. Of course the mediocre ones are easier to combo and gimp because they don't know how to properly avoid getting comboed and mindgamed with inane tactics such as "Hit, wait for 2nd jump, jump after and hit".

At high level play, comboing is very hard.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Yes, i own and have played the game. The lack of depth of which you speak is.... well lacking.

Try short hopped airdodging into a short dashed upsmash, or maybe a shield cancled Ftilt. There are tons of options.

the combo's aren't there in the traditonal sense no, not the inescable ones like in melee. But they have been replaced by plenty of other advanced combat interactions. read TZM's post, not all games have combo's in the traditional sense but they still have advanced combat interactions

Razorsaw

Smash Apprentice
You can't the game mechanics works against it.
Then what was going on in that video I posted?

Honestly, it just seems more and more like you're being forced to work for this kind of stuff than anything.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
Yes, doing inescapable guaranteed-every-time combos is now extremely hard if not impossible. That is the literal defintion of combos. That is not very easy in brawl's engine, if attainable at all.

Instead, you rely on stringing moves that your opponent may not neccessarily see coming OR doing something that will outprioritize the move that they use OR dodging their move (SO easy, all the spot dodges/sidesteps are quicker, air dodging is easy and doesn't cost you jumps) and coming back with one of your own.

It's more fluid and not so rigid, action and reaction, timing and mindgames.

Frankly, it's way better, most refreshing, and tons of fun.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Yuna said:
I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Are you saying we should launch people, then wait for them to hit us and then hit them back? There is no Crouch Cancel, so that won't work. No one's going to be as stupid as to hit you and then jump after you if you can hit them back (that's is why most combos end with strong attacks).

Stop quasi-trolling. It's not pretty.
what im saying is that you're argument is for example: I DSC utilt with fox but before i can Nair them they have recoverd and Bair'ed me or something in my recovery time. So in their recovery time I Fsmash them, then they probably return the favor which then after i Usmash them. How is that hard to understand?

and I'm not quasi-trolling, im responding to the disscussion with my insights from expirience playing the game. I'm sorry you don't like it

Razorsaw

Smash Apprentice
Yes, doing inescapable guaranteed-every-time combos is now extremely hard if not impossible. That is the literal defintion of combos. That is not very easy in brawl's engine, if attainable at all.

Instead, you rely on stringing moves that your opponent may not neccessarily see coming OR doing something that will outprioritize the move that they use OR dodging their move (SO easy, all the spot dodges/sidesteps are quicker, air dodging is easy and doesn't cost you jumps) and coming back with one of your own.

That sounds about what I was trying to get at. I guess I'm not someone who thinks or writes like a competitive player.

Koga

Smash Journeyman

Oh hah, see, action and reaction. I knew someone else would get it

it is a very fluid combat interaction now, very refreshing and not shallow at all.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, i own and have played the game. The lack of depth of which you speak is.... well lacking.

Try short hopped airdodging into a short dashed upsmash, or maybe a shield cancled Ftilt. There are tons of options.
What the hell kind of suggestions are those?!

SH airdodge into short dashed upsmash?! Why would I do that?! That gives the opponent enough time to do anything they wish to. The only way for that to ever hit would if the opponent DI:s towards you and then jumps at you and tries to hit you instead of being smart and DI:ing so you can't combo and then try to make it back onto the ground (and hit you should the chance present itself, not go for a stupid kamikaze attack).

Shield canceled F-tilts do not work. The hitstun mechanics and and knockback mechanics makes it impossible for this to work. Have you tried doing it against people who aren't idiots and who DI towards you?

At most, this will work at really low %s. But if you have enough time to actually dash up to them and shieldcancel an F-tilt, you have enough time to simply aerial them. The F-tilt will most probably be DI:able (and airdodgable). In no way would this be guaranteed other than at reaaaaally low %s, at which point it's really easy to string together 2-3 moves.

Past that, it gets a lot harder.

the combo's aren't there in the traditonal sense no, not the inescable ones like in melee. But they have been replaced by plenty of other advanced combat interactions. read TZM's post, not all games have combo's in the traditional sense but they still have advanced combat interactions
Yeah, too bad very few of them actually work on smart people.

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
Really, as an Ike player now, I haven't had the problem of no comboing, since every hit Ike does is a smash, it's really a matter of "Can I juggle them?"

This game has a strong emphasis on juggling now, it's pretty interesting. Sure, sometimes when I play Wolf, I can make a short string combo, but eventually knockback gets pretty bad, and I have to start juggling opponents. And from this topic, and many others, Pro-Melee players really hate this. Guess they could go back to Melee, huh? :laugh:

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
i'd love to refute you, but I've only played one person (my wireless is encrypted, I'm setting the internet up later today) so far, and I have no idea if he DI's "smart"-like or whatever, so once I go online, play some peeps, and probably some people from here (maybe even you. XP) I'll get back to you.

But for now I'm on the fence on that one.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Really, as an Ike player now, I haven't had the problem of no comboing, since every hit Ike does is a smash, it's really a matter of "Can I juggle them?"

This game has a strong emphasis on juggling now, it's pretty interesting. Sure, sometimes when I play Wolf, I can make a short string combo, but eventually knockback gets pretty bad, and I have to start juggling opponents. And from this topic, and many others, Pro-Melee players really hate this. Guess they could go back to Melee, huh? :laugh:
Juggle = Combo

It's just that in 3D games, it's called juggling. And juggles are also always guaranteed.

Anyway, Ike is smexy but he's not the easiest person to combo/juggle as as his moves are all strong and have tremendous knockback (they fly off too far to combo). He's also relatively slow even if you only use his fastest moves so people can airdodge/DI/hit you.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
What the hell kind of suggestions are those?!

SH airdodge into short dashed upsmash?! Why would I do that?! That gives the opponent enough time to do anything they wish to. The only way for that to ever hit would if the opponent DI:s towards you and then jumps at you and tries to hit you instead of being smart and DI:ing so you can't combo and then try to make it back onto the ground (and hit you should the chance present itself, not go for a stupid kamikaze attack).

Shield canceled F-tilts do not work. The hitstun mechanics and and knockback mechanics makes it impossible for this to work. Have you tried doing it against people who aren't idiots and who DI towards you?

At most, this will work at really low %s. But if you have enough time to actually dash up to them and shieldcancel an F-tilt, you have enough time to simply aerial them. The F-tilt will most probably be DI:able (and airdodgable). In no way would this be guaranteed other than at reaaaaally low %s, at which point it's really easy to string together 2-3 moves.

Past that, it gets a lot harder.

Dang you just don't get it, That was just a general way of stating the options you have in brawl, not an attempt to combo them inescapably. And a short dashed upsmash is plenty useful, when your opponent sees you start your dash animation, what does he anticipate? a shield cancelled attack? a dashing attack? or a short dashed Up smash. The range on that last one is really deceptive depending on when you imput the upsmash.

its not that hard

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
Inescapable high damage combos are lame. That's what all the other fighters are about.
I don't a problem with very hard to escape combos though.
I've always seen smash as a more taking advantage of the situation, not muscle memory combos.
But either way, I'll play the game however the meta game turns out and try and learn super combos or to count on escapable combos and worry about placement.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Dang you just don't get it, That was just a general way of stating the options you have in brawl, not an attempt to combo them inescapably. And a short dashed upsmash is plenty useful, when your opponent sees you start your dash animation, what does he anticipate? a shield cancelled attack? a dashing attack? or a short dashed Up smash. The range on that last one is really deceptive depending on when you imput the upsmash.

its not that hard
When I see my opponent start a dash, I expect him to either grab me or attack me with something I can shield. What the hell are you doing, standing there and waiting to take it? Any attempt to actually go for a combo will usually end up being punished. Instead, you're pretty much playing a chess game of waiting for the opponent to do whatever he wants and trying to counter it.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
You can call me clueless, but my definition of a combo, is landing multiple hits, before you get hit back, whether or not the opponent has a possibility to escape.. In every fighting came I play, that's the meaning of a combo to me.
And no, I haven't played Brawl yet.
So laser spamming with Falco and landing some hits before your opponent manages to approach you is a combo?

Uh, yeah.....

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Vids or you're a noob playing against other noobs who don't have the reaction time of competitive players.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)

You guys seem to think that just because combos exist in melee, it completely eliminates the mental aspect of it. That's patently false. The advice any top melee player will give you is simply "play smart".

Here's the thing: in melee, most really long combos result from the skill of the player to react to the opponents' DI. They required a significant amount of skill both technical and reaction-wise. There were very few significant auto combos in melee.

Most of the impressive stuff you see in good melee combo videos these days are things you may never see again because it was the player's insight and spur of the moment decision making in that situation that allowed the combo.

Melee had just enough hitstun and DI to make comboing skill intensive WHILE rewarding players for playing smart AND having technical at the same time. ALL OF THE ASPECTS of playing smart you listed in your post are vital aspects of Melee; the addition of combos just makes it much more fun.

I'm pretty sure you signed up for a fighting game, not chess. Playing smart in the middle of a technically intensive match is what Melee is all about.

As for LavisFiend's original post, I've seen MANY videos of good players in which one player will hit the other with an obvious launcher move (such as an upsmash), the other player will float just above them while in range, and yet RECOVER FROM HITSTUN AND JUMP OUT OF IT before the "combo" can continue.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

its not that hard
First, read what Ankoku said above.

And let me also add:
What you're talking about right now is approach.

Approach =/= Comboing

Or are you talking about attacking, letting them land and then approaching again? And calling it a combo?!

Micahc

Smash Ace
And I've seen a few. They're mostly crap. Making a combo video after only a month with the game is just douchebaggery anyway.
I'm sorry if I sound naive, of if this comes off as stupid, but what does creating combo videos early have to do with the cleaning of a womans genitals?

EDIT: Wow, what a strange 600th post...

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
Combos in Brawl do exist.

You can, with Falco, Dair-> Utilt-> Uair (Depending on terrain)

AAA-> Utilt ->Bair

Nair (landing) -> Utilt -> Bair

Combos are harder to execute, but they are, regardless, existent. Only in 3-4's as opposed to 5-6 ala Melee.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Why?!

Why are there so mnay ignorant people?!

A combo is inescapable.

Most attempts to combo in Brawl will lead to your opponent airdodging or hitting you back.

So far it seems like Lucario is the only character that can string together aerials without being interuputed.

But his damage is quite low unless he has taken a beating himself.

But for everyone else string together 2 aerials is extremely difficult or impossible altogether.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Combos in Brawl do exist.

You can, with Falco, Dair-> Utilt-> Uair (Depending on terrain)

AAA-> Utilt ->Bair

Nair (landing) -> Utilt -> Bair

Combos are harder to execute, but they are, regardless, existent. Only in 3-4's as opposed to 5-6 ala Melee.
Will not work if the opponents know what they're doing.

Dair-> Utilt-> Uair -> Yeah, no. DI + airdodging

Nair (landing) -> Utilt -> Bair -> See above

They only work when the opponent starts at around 0% because at higher %s, they fly off too far to combo off of U-tilt.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You guys seem to think that just because combos exist in melee, it completely eliminates the mental aspect of it. That's patently false. The advice any top melee player will give you is simply "play smart".

Here's the thing: in melee, most really long combos result from the skill of the player to react to the opponents' DI. They required a significant amount of skill both technical and reaction-wise. There were very few significant auto combos in melee.

Most of the impressive stuff you see in good melee combo videos these days are things you may never see again because it was the player's insight and spur of the moment decision making in that situation that allowed the combo.

Melee had just enough hitstun and DI to make comboing skill intensive WHILE rewarding players for playing smart AND having technical at the same time. ALL OF THE ASPECTS of playing smart you listed in your post are vital aspects of Melee; the addition of combos just makes it much more fun.

I'm pretty sure you signed up for a fighting game, not chess. Playing smart in the middle of a technically intensive match is what Melee is all about.

As for LavisFiend's original post, I've seen MANY videos of good players in which one player will hit the other with an obvious launcher move (such as an upsmash), the other player will float just above them while in range, and yet RECOVER FROM HITSTUN AND JUMP OUT OF IT before the "combo" can continue.
More people need to read this.

Also, just to make even more emphasis. The definition of "combo" is:

A sting of attacks that is unescapable after the first hit.

So basically, it's saying that the stun given by an attack has to be long enough to possibly follow up with another attack.

Combos are essential as part of the punishing aspect in any fighting game. A player is supposed to be punished for making a mistake. Certain moves are supposed to easily set up for combos, and it's the opponent's job to then make sure to avoid getting hit by these moves. Brawl is way too forgiving, and thus loses its competative appeal. Watch the tournament finals of any fighting game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcR9MLryyOY
Watch Susumu's first death. That kind of stuff is supposed to happen when you mess up. Everywhere in that match you can see mistakes being punished with high damage combos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqApgUA&feature=related
Even in steet fighter, although there are a few quick hits here and there, the primary form of punishing mistakes is by hitting the opponent with a devestating super.

Combos are essentially a way of punishing mistakes, both your mistakes and your opponent's mistakes. If they make a mistake then you now have the oppourtunity to do some serious damage. However, you still have to work for your damage and if you make a mistake then your opponent goes free. This entire exchange favors the attacker who is punishing a mistake, and that's rightly so. However, in brawl it's obvious that the engine favors the defender, which is not always a good thing. You get your hit for punishing their mistake, but now they get a chance to hit you back? They are the ones who let themselves get hit and now the most you can gurantee if you both do your job is to get a trade off? They really shouldn't get that opportunity, and you should have the advantage because you're not the one that messed up!

This may be a concept that's hard for some to grasp, but that's generally how a good competative game goes. The attacker has advantage over the defender, who's only goal is to reset the ground and become the attacker. This kind of system is what discourages turtaling and makes a match both faster paced and overall less forgiving. Those two things are precisely what drives a competative player to play flawlessly. Those two things leave you with no room for error at high level play, which is what makes us strive for utter perfection. The attacker must never miss a combo opportunity, and the defender must become the attacker. The defender is supposed to be fighting an uphill battle, as incentive for becoming the attacker. That's how fighting games work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clh1ct9Fscg
This is an example of what should happen to a player that can't go on the offensive. As you saw, Rockman was pretty much pinned down the entire first match. In the following two matches he did a much better job of approaching and attacking, which lead to his victory. Even if a game doesn't neccessarily have real combos (in this case KNJ negates most combos), it still needs a way of punishing an opponent that either makes a mistake or just doesn't want to go on the offensive. In this case Rockman was punished in the first match with unrelenting pressure, while in the second to matches Forte was punished by being hit with Ougis (ultimates), which clinched the match for Rockman.

Please allow me to say that Brawl will indeed be a great game. Many of the things people have said, like predicting will be more important, like aggressive edgeguarding will be more important, like aerial combat will be more important. Many of these things are true, and brawl may turn out to be plenty deep. Just know that brawl lacks a few basic fighting game philosophies and that combos is one of them. Combos are an important fighting game mechanic used for punishing mistakes and giving the attacker a large advantage, while still not giving him a completely free ride. All these things that we are saying will become more important is just our way of trying to make up for this fact. Maybe our efforts will succeed, or maybe they will fail, but to claim that combos are somehow not important is to go against basic competative fighting game philosophy.

moose878

Smash Rookie
I've just read this whole topic, and I'm quite new to smash boards. But from my reading, and experience playing Brawl I think it is obvious that true combos are very few and far between due to the various reasons mentioned. However, this is merely a result of the engine, and as such, we will have to adapt accordingly. I do agree with the mostly everything the above poster has said.

On another note, would anyone like to exchange FC's? I have not yet found many experienced players ( though that is understandable), I'm not trying to sound arrogant, just wanting to obtain more friends and experience. I realize this is not the online board but even so I thought I may as well ask...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clh1ct9Fscg
This is an example of what should happen to a player that can't go on the offensive. As you saw, Rockman was pretty much pinned down the entire first match. In the following two matches he did a much better job of approaching and attacking, which lead to his victory. Even if a game doesn't neccessarily have real combos (in this case KNJ negates most combos), it still needs a way of punishing an opponent that either makes a mistake or just doesn't want to go on the offensive. In this case Rockman was punished in the first match with unrelenting pressure, while in the second to matches Forte was punished by being hit with Ougis (ultimates), which clinched the match for Rockman.
It's funny because Narutimate Hero is such a boring turtling game where no combo is guaranteed because of the ever-constant presence of the KnJ.

Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 is the way to go (because EX and EX 2 suck)!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^That's true. But you have to admit that the particular match made the game look a lot more exiting, and a lot more like a fighting game in general. I was thinking of posting a few other videos that showed some of the less pressured moments emphasizing what happens when you have to many defense options, but I changed my mind because I had already used a match from that game to illustrate my main point.

Narutimate Accel is indeed a turtling game most of the time, but there are moments like those that make me still have hope for it. If only the substitution system was more limiting and guard breaking moves more combo oriented it could've been such a great competative game. To little punishment for substitutions (unless you're Neji. lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRUHPu97_hw)

But anyway, yeah GNT4 is definately a great game, I just wish I could go out to competitions and stuff instead of just being stuck with my friends. None of us really play it competatively, but I really want to (just don't know where to find people).

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
You know what's funny about Brawl? I like this game a lot when I'm not actually trying to be good at it.

-Kye
Wow. QFT. Brawl is quite fun if you just play to play. Playing to excel comes later. You've gotta crawl before you can dashdance, as it were.

Sorry if I'm twisting your words, but I share this sentiment.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow. QFT. Brawl is quite fun if you just play to play. Playing to excel comes later. You've gotta crawl before you can dashdance, as it were.

You can start out new, strive to be good and still have fun.

I was never a Casual Melee player. In fact, I was a casual fighting game player 'til I started playing Melee. From the very same week as the first time I played Melee, I started playing it competitively, constantly trying to become better. And I still had fun.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

What if you actually find playing to excel...fun? What if testing your skill against others in close, intense matches is something that appeals to you? It's those players I'm worried about. Will we get to have fun too, or will brawl fall short of expectations competatively?

AeryEcho

Smash Cadet
SynikaL, you just turned this thread upside-down XD

...Anyways,

Sonic_Wave,
I personally like that Brawl is that forgiving: in most fighting game, while it's good that you are punished, I don't like how punishment can basically be three mistakes, you're out:
Once you get "punished" you are no longer playing, really...
It becomes a one player mini-game, Mario party style: press the buttons in this order and combo them as long as you can. It loses the back and forth aspect that I find to be real-time multi-player.
At it's core, Brawl is meant to be a fighting-party-esque game, if you look at it...
It has an appeal as a chess style game, but...it's not supposed to be purely strategic, which we try to make it: it's a lot about skill and reaction, which is further emphasized by the quick recovery that Brawl now has, unlike Melee's brutal stun and weaker DI...

Actually, I think it's kinda funny that Fighting games are now like chess in a sense...it just seems to contrast so much, though O_o

Ankoku,
I like what you said, but the way you said it left yourself open...although its rhetoric makes it an effective argument when looked at in the literary aspect...

It's true though: unable to string 3-4 combos doesn't always mean there's something wrong with you, so much as it means that your opponent is more skilled.
In Melee, that meant something, because it's just one person reacting (since the second player has very limited options so that it's not much of a factor), so that one person can be effectively judged by comboing abilities...But in Brawl, combo length alone is less directly influenced by your skill alone, since there's not multiple variables~

It's no longer one person playing in a sterile environment: Chess is two player, but each turn is a sterile, unmoving, unchanging situation that the player can alter to their will without fear of unexpected change happening before or during that move.
Melee is similar to that, in that players could combo with assurance that their opponent will not escape...But Brawl isn't.
That's why I cannot agree with your statement, LavisFiend.
I understand your sentiments (although I don't agree with your presentation of your ideas either), but I still see it to be different from mine.

Brawl might be a typical fighting game, but I choose not to see it that way...
And I choose not to insult people for being unable to perform better than others: I insult them by content of character, not by skill~

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
That thing of minigame because of the combos is what i think when i get punished in SSb64.

So... SSB64 (more punishable and more combos) is better than melee?

I think no...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Sonic_Wave,
I personally like that Brawl is that forgiving: in most fighting game, while it's good that you are punished, I don't like how punishment can basically be three mistakes, you're out:
Once you get "punished" you are no longer playing, really...
While punishment to the point of not playing is overkill, the punishment must be there so that you have at least some fear of being hit. In brawl, there are almost no attacks that will definately sting into another, no bread and butter combos. There is no real fear of being hit, because as long as it doesn't kill you then it doesn't really matter. You can just airdodge and escape, or even use it as a chance to get a free hit back on your opponent. That is more like rewarding the player that got hit, because they get a free hit in exchange, but they don't have to trick you into getting hit. They can just hit you in your lag with a fast attack. That makes the defensive player have the advantage over the offensive one, which is a fundemental flaw when it comes to fighting games.

It becomes a one player mini-game, Mario party style: press the buttons in this order and combo them as long as you can. It loses the back and forth aspect that I find to be real-time multi-player.
Melee was actually very lenient when it came to combos. You had the opportunity to DI, Smash DI, and tech off of things, you had multiple lives to make up for a bad mistake, and you got knocked further at higher damages which made combos very much a spur of the moment thing rather than being as straight foward as other fighters and while in other fighters you're pretty much stuck if you let yourself get hit that first time.

The combos in melee were thought up as they went on, as a reaction to your DI and attempts to escape, which is the most forgiving kind of combo mechanic that I've seen actually work in competative play. "You can still combo, we're just going to make you work for it and give them a chance to possibly escape." That's basically how comboing in melee worked, other than the bread and butter combos.
At it's core, Brawl is meant to be a fighting-party-esque game, if you look at it...
It has an appeal as a chess style game, but...it's not supposed to be purely strategic
Name one aspect of melee that wasn't strategic. Have you ever thought that skill and reaction time could be a part of the strategy.
which we try to make it: it's a lot about skill and reaction, which is further emphasized by the quick recovery that Brawl now has, unlike Melee's brutal stun and weaker DI...
We are talking about the highest level of play here. At that level, reaction time is no longer a factor. We will know exactly how much stun each move has, so we'll have a plan for whenever we get hit. We'll hit them back because there's nothing they can do about it. Melee's DI was anything but weak, and was a massive improvment compared to 64. Now you could not only SDI, but you could change the actual trajectory of the attack. That's one of the most unique things about smash! While it's possible to chain hits together, it's also possible for the opponent to screw you up by changing his DI! They took it too far in brawl though. Now you can't actually combo anybody, so there's really no point in following up after an attack (unless you out range them), because they can just hit you back.
Actually, I think it's kinda funny that Fighting games are now like chess in a sense...it just seems to contrast so much, though O_o
Are you implying that there was some point where they weren't like chess? Smash, Guilty Gear, Naruto GNT4, Street Fighter, Melty Blood, ect. are anything but button meshers!

It's true though: unable to string 3-4 combos doesn't always mean there's something wrong with you, so much as it means that your opponent is more skilled.
Or that they have the common sense to realize that airdodging is now harder to punish and now is an extremely good option for avoiding followups! Combos do not exist in brawl because by definition, a combo is inescapable if the attacking player does not mess up! However, now even if the attack player plays perfectly, he can't really punish a mistake with anything more than one guranteed hit. Don't you think he should be given the advantage if he's capatalizing on a mistake? Even in chess, if your opponent makes a mistake and you capitalize on it, then the opponent is put a few turns behind in their strategy. They now have to play catch up. That is the nature of competative games. But brawl is simply being too forgiving, and forgiveness is really not that great in a competative environment.
In Melee, that meant something, because it's just one person reacting (since the second player has very limited options so that it's not much of a factor)
Or maybe their options are a little more subtle? DI is actually an ingenious implementation in melee.
so that one person can be effectively judged by comboing abilities...
And that's a bad thing? Since when did having combos in a fighting game become a bad thing?
It's no longer one person playing in a sterile environment: Chess is two player, but each turn is a sterile, unmoving, unchanging situation that the player can alter to their will without fear of unexpected change happening before or during that move.
Wait a minute, where'd that idea come from? Chess is not sterile at all. Each turn you have to think of a new strategy based on how your opponent's move fit into your strategy, and if you ever make a mistake then you are easily set back quite a few turns. One mistake can even cost you the game if your opponent capitalizes on it and doesn't make any mistakes of his own. That's exactly how it's supposed to be. Chess isn't that forgiving of a game either, so I don't see what you're talking about. If you make a mistake, and your opponent doesn't make a mistake, then you lose.
Melee is similar to that, in that players could combo with assurance that their opponent will not escape...But Brawl isn't.
They should have that assurance, because that assurance is their incentive to go on the offense. If there's more risk than gain in a tactic then you don't do it. If attacking your opponent is more likely to get you killed then it is to kill them, then there's no point. Why should I ever approach you if you're the one who gets the advantage from it?

Where is my incentive for ever approaching? Will I only approach if I'm losing and will lose the match if the timer runs out? Why should I do anything besides turtle and let you come to me? I get no reward for attacking, because if I do then we just trade hits, but if I play defensively I have the chance to shield it and hit you back out, reseting the playing field but with you having more damage. When attacking, I can only tie. But when defending, I have a chance to win. Which option do you think I will chose?

Zink

Smash Champion
tlink bair chain.

yeah, most of the brawl combos I've gotten were just random uair juggles. half the time the enemy could simply float away anyway. less combos means individual hits count more. hi ike and snake!

wow sonicwave knows his stuff, listen to him.

Kai_

Smash Journeyman
To actually utilize combos effectively, I've only been able to truly do so with Sheik. Pika and Ness' flurry attacks connect most of the time, but with correct DI they are still avoidable.

This isn't even a question, it's fact that combo in Brawl is more difficult than in Melee. Chaingrabbing is nearly non existent with sufficient DI.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
tc doesn't understand a combo. no stun time in this game. if your opponent has the ability to recover or retaliate but doesn't and you hit them it is their fault and it is not a combo.

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
Is it really that bad? I wanna see some of the top players go against each other so I can see if they can combo or not. I have gotten in some combos but they weren't unavoidable. (Yes, I know combo = unavoidable so it's a contradiction, blah blah. But I can't really think of a word for what I mean. It would be like.. string of hits I managed to get together before my opponent hit me and that's too wordy and why am I defending myself already. >_<)

Top Bottom