• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I still believe WiiU Doc before the Fair buffs and the USmash buff was...really bad and likely worse than Marth had ever been in the course of the game.

USmash killed worse than Mario's because they changed the angle but not the hitbox or knockback. It was really terrible.

Not even gonna bother explaining why 3DS Doc was HORRIBLE (mostly vectoring and less kill power). If at the very least you don't believe WiiU Doc was ever that bad, 3DS Doc was.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yeah we'll never know who was the worst and it doesn't matter nor do I care. But I will say that he still basically had Mario's frame data plus a real grab game. Don't get me wrong, he was a contender. That's all we can accurately say about the past.

Also I want to share a huge LOL moment for Smash 4 Marth. UTILT. Before Utilt was buffed: it had 42 total frames; it usually wasn't safe on hit. Somehow, it only did (and does) 5, 6, or 9%. It killed on a Wii U blastzone at 150+ if you were lucky enough to tipper it.. Even less if it's the back hit. Then it whiffs (still does) on shorter opponents so that you can eat their biggest punish as punishment for getting a read. You might be able to combo the back hit into the tip of Dolphin Slash if you're lucky. Oh and the cherry on top is that Lucina's was much worse.

This is sadism. That's the only way you can explain Utilt.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Marth at launch was probably better than Falco as well considering moves like his Nair and Up Smash didn't connect properly and his damage racking game was noticeably worse than it is now. Ike was probably worse than marth too since he had much worse frame data and combos at the time.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Falco had up throw up air at kill percent and his nair had less landing lag.
Fair was an auto spike if it clashed with recoveries.
None of his normals have been touched yet.

Ike at release still had an auto cancelling fair, no? Some follow ups from his throws. Nair combo'd.
By WiiU release though he had his current forward air.
Ike's frame data is still "worse"?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
No, Ike's Fair didn't SHAC. I remember somebody lamenting how the way SSB4's C-stick works ruining the then new SHAC Fair...

Lordly there were some terrible characters in 1.0.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382

Ike at release still had an auto cancelling fair, no? Some follow ups from his throws. Nair combo'd.
By WiiU release though he had his current forward air.
Ike's frame data is still "worse"?
By worse frame data, I meant that Ike's frame data was worse than it is now, not compared to marth. I believe it was on par with king dedede and shulk during the 3ds era, which was pretty terrible. Even though 3ds ike had some combos off of throws unlike Marth, as well as stronger edge guarding potential, they weren't enough to compensate for his far worse neutral game compared to Marth. Wii U Ike was definitely better than wii U Marth though. I think that 1.0.4 really fixed most of the key issues with ike's moveset and significantly improved both his neutral game and advantageous state as a result.

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
Somehow, it only did (and does) 5, 6, or 9%.
Yeah, what's up with that? I mean why not just make it at least 10 like d-tilt. 9 is such a random number. N-air too

Except Up Throw, which every person who plays Marth knows carries him through a lot.
People oft respond to me like I'm a blithering idiot when I say up throw is a blessing and probably one of his best kill options. In a sense I envy their blissful ignorance...

Also hey our boy is the FEATURED PAGE on SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki that anyone can edit!
Did you guys know Marth's trophy info is wrong?!

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I think that Marth wasn't the worst character in the game on launch, but he was definately not as good as he is now. If he's mid mid tier now, he was bottom of mid tier or top of bottom tier then. Doc has always been in the bottom, along with Zolda. Samus was never far from there either, and Bowser was toward the bottom five.
One character we havent talked about was pre buff Robin. Robin at launch was a ****ing mistake of a character. They had nothing, no tools, and were slow as all hell. I'd put them in bottom five.

At launch, I'd say bottom five was 1. Zelda/Doc (still how it is today imo) 2. Samus 3. Bowser 4. Lucina and 5. either Robin or Palutena

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Doc's not that bad. He legitimately has a few matchups over Mario, Fox off the top of my head. Not a solo main character but still...
He's bottom of the barrel. He's at most, bottom 5. Even Zelda has good matchups. Matchups don't make a charcter good.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Shaya... Up Smash... They touched his Up Smash like a few times in patches... I think it was 1.0.6 and 1.0.8 where they changed some things... 1.0.8 was the big one where they made it so the first hit intentionally whiffs on platformed characters so only the second hit can connect. Hopefully Greninja gets this treatment since it's kind of stupid for a Smash to do only 5%. Also, for Falco, there's some active frame changes to the second hit, 12-19 to 13-20.

Nair? I thought they never touched the landing lag; it was always 15, right? Now, if we're talking about Brawl to Smash 4's launch, jab, dash attack, Up Smash, Side Smash, Nair, Fair, and Dair were the normals tweaked and I only agree with 2 of them, Up Smash because it's basically a different move and Fair since frame 6, 11% Brawl Fair with Smash 4's functionality would be stupid, confused by 1, Side Smash... Why another frame of startup? Really, why? And disagree with pretty much all of them. Jab pretty much was butchered for almost no reason. Unless you're as big as Bowser or DK, anyone can get out at pretty much any percent on any part of the jab. It's freaking ridiculous, especially when you figure that Falco's rapid jab has less range than other rapid jabs, he leans in, and there wasn't anything really wrong with his jab in Brawl... It wasn't even close to Smash 4 Fox's and the worst he could do with Brawl jab was what Fox, Luigi, and Sheik do to get grabs or mixups... Also, the jusitification of Wario's Side Smash change because his hurtbox was being thrown out despite him having super armor in Brawl, despite the ability to add invincibility or disjoint it - hello, Captain Falcon dash attack - they decide to remove an iconic Wario move for what's basically a modified Ftilt. Going back to Falco, then shouldn't his rapid jab be changed as well? It didn't have super armor or I-frames and he's also throwing his hurtbox out unlike other rapid jabs that involves throwing out a limb for a hitbox and hurtbox... Falco's leaning in.

Dash attack currently does its job as a combo extender and kind of a punish, especially for rolls... That being said, it's kind of stupid how they slow down the slower character's dash attack while letting the faster one keep his fast dash attack... Falco's OOS option with dash attack is mediocre like pretty much all characters, but Falco's slow... Fox's OOS option with dash attack is ridiculous because he's fast and he has a fast dash attack... Let's remember Fox's other moves... Fox's OOS options are insane: frame 2 jab, frame 3 Utilt, frame 4 dash attack, frame 8, invincible frames 1-9 Up Smash, frame 6, invincible 6-7, panic Down Smash, frame 4 Nair, and frame 5 Dair. As the 4th fastest runner with the best? initial dash in the game, Fox's OOS dash Up Smash is just plain stupid. It just is. At low levels? Fox can just drop shield, jab, Utilt which covers pretty much his entire body, panic Down Smash, or run up and dash attack. Like, why? Why didn't he end up with a frame 8 dash attack? Why Falco? Why pretty much all characters since the only other frame 4 dash attack user I can remember is Wario and he's below-average in run speed. Fox's is the among the fastest! Why him? Hell, give him a frame 6 or 8 dash attack and it would still be good. Meta Knight's rocking a frame 7 dash attack and it works when he's fast. An average-speed dash attack on a slow character does not work well. It's okay, but that's pretty much it. Falco with his frame 4 dash attack wouldn't be oppressive... It wouldn't be abusive... He's still slow and it would just be nice option for him to have. I mean, did Falco shut down people in Melee and Brawl with his dash attack? No, but he did use it punish and setup... There wasn't anything wrong with it... So why?

Nair pretty much ate the all aerials will have higher landing lag in Smash 4... This becomes a problem when select characters don't have high landing lag e.g. Captain Falcon, Sheik, and ZSS are notable examples. Their most useful aerials not only have good auto-cancel windows, but low landing lag... The highest would be frame 10. The Capt. and ZSS rock their 9 frames of landing lag on Uair while Sheik can rock her 10 frames of landing lag on Nair and Fair. Their mess-ups at auto-canceling is not as painful when Falco, Fox, Ike, Marth, and Roy mess up. 15's not bad... 9 was amazing, especially now where Falco can drag people down... Then again, a setup used in Brawl was Nair to Utilt and in both games, Utilt doesn't kill until ~150%? That's not insane... Let's say it works with Up Smash... That kills at ~130%... Falco wouldn't be getting anything insane off of it. That being said, with its auto-link angles and its ability to always launch wherever Falco's facing, maybe 9's too much... 12 could work. Yes, 12...

Dair was "genericized" as another slow Dair spike which I don't know... 70%? of the cast has and the few characters with fast spikes like Cloud, Luigi, the Pits, Ryu, and Villager greatly make use of. Sometimes, it's not even for the spike since the fast nature of it just lets them use Dair and not have a move that's so situational. Lingering Dairs like Cloud's which is basically a Melee Dair, but tuned in a such a way it's not broken, but kind of is because everyone else has a crap Dair, are really good when they're pretty fast. "Normal" Dairs like Fox, Mario, and Peach's are just godplayer because they're useful; they're utility moves which for Fox means another hit confirm to Up Smash, a combo tool and almost an approach tool for Mario, and a shield pressure tool for Peach. Brawl was heading into the right direction for Falco's Dair... Smash 4 just went overboard with its startup. If Falco had his Brawl Dair, but it was frame... 11? It wouldn't be an insane move nor would it be a bad move. Hell, it would be a good move for Falco to setup using Dair provided it had lower landing lag... but there's the issue of Falco's Dair could just make Luigi's obsolete because it has more active spike frames and more late frames while still being in the same hit speed. Not something you want, especially on a character with a high jump and considered a strong edgeguarder... Maybe they should do away with the spike and always make it launch at 80 degrees. Falco would lose his iconic spike, but he could gain unique setup through a non-spike Dair... Also, killing vertically up with Dair would be pretty sweet and funny.

When it comes to Dr. Mario... I feel like Dr. Mario, Falco, and Kirby are too slow-moving for what they do. They're close-range fighters who kind of prefer comboing over strong hits like Bowser, DK, and Ganondorf. Those guys moving slow or hitting slow makes sense since they're just after those strong hits that cover a lot of range and send you flying. Doc, Falco, and Kirby are more after combos which means they have to get in which they can't because on the ground, the Doc is slower than Triple D, Falco is slower than Ike and Wario on the ground, and Kirby's... Kirby's weird. I feel like Kirby should be no slower than Mario and Ryu on the ground since his air speed is horrendous and it makes sense. Do you know how terrifying it would be if any of the multiple jumpers had good air speed? Hi, Melee Jigglypuff. Jiggles was slammed with the higher recovery frames on her aerials? which makes it harder to pressure only with aerials and Jiggles is an air fighter... Yeah... Also, her shtick of gimping doesn't really work when ledge hogging doesn't exist. She can edgeguard, but it's more difficult now. Back to Kirby, with his low air speed, Kirby shouldn't have been that slower than Meta Knight on the ground and that slower than Jigglypuff in the air. Lil' dude should have been average at worse on the ground which is where Mario's at if his air speed slow which is should. Dr. Mario's in a spot where he's moving at pretty much Ganondorf's pace, but fighting in a way where it's kind of like Mario's pace or better yet, because of his short, but strong combos, Ike's pace and where's Ike at? The same running speed as Luigi. Dr. Mario would not shoot up tiers if he had a run speed of 1.5 instead of 1.312. If it's so game-breaking, then give him a 1.45, just under Mega Man's, run speed or something. Oh, and for Pete's sake, increase his weight or fall speed to not lie about his heavier lab coat. If it's that damn heavy, then his weight and fall speed should be higher than Mario's and not just him running slower. If I put on armor, by running speed would suffer and my weight would increase. It's not one thing and there you go... Freaking basic logic... Dr. Mario having a functioning projectile helps, but it wouldn't also hurt for some lower recovery on his Megavitamins... For Falco, eh... It's the issue of Blaster and mobility. Blaster causing hit stun and its ability to continually fire would be stupid if Falco ran at say, Palutena's speed, 1.888. Then again, the blame is on the developers for copy-pasting 64 Fox's Blaster on Falco in Melee and making it even stronger in Brawl. A Wolf-style Blaster or a "traditional fighting game projectile" that only fires once per input like Hadouken, Sonic Boom, Tiger Shot, Mario's Fireball, Samus's Charge Shot, etc. would be less of a pain in the ***. Now, Falco with Pally's run speed and a "traditional projectile". Oh, look, he's not a complete scumbag anymore. Falco's run speed is okay, but it's kind of stupid... 1.472... Seriously, just make it 1.5 like in Melee. His air speed is also justifiable since with his aerials, Falco with remotely good air speed would be terrifying. Hello, Cloud, Rosalina, Yoshi, and ZSS. Good air acceleration, but low air speed like Pally and Pikachu wouldn't be that bad... I mean, he's a freaking pheasant. He's a bird. Birds should have good air control... He's a freaking ace pilot. Air control is his middle name. Right now, he's just got average air acceleration like most characters.

TL;DR: Kirby should really have a 1.6 run speed, Dr. Mario should at least have a 1.4 run speed, ideally 1.5, and Falco's okay, but should have at least 1.5 since 1.472 is a stupid run speed value, and Blaster really needs to not have 48 on the ground and 41 frames of recovery in the air. Could just remove his ability to fire continually which would wreck some of his Blaster game, but if he had ~30 recovery frames for Blaster, but could only shoot once, hell yes in my opinion.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Bottom five is a stretch... Doc has great frame data and damage. I could name fifteen characters worse then him.
Play Doc then. Play Doc for a month and come back. He has nothing substantial.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Is there any good reason why reverse-Dolphin Slash doesn't make contact with an opponent while numerous other reverse Up-B's do make contact?

Speaking as someone who recently got stomped around 30+ games in row on Smash Ladder by a Doc player, I'd argue that Doc is not someone you should sleep on.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Is there any good reason why reverse-Dolphin Slash doesn't make contact with an opponent while numerous other reverse Up-B's do make contact?
Design team just DGAF about quality assurance when it came to Fire Emblem/sword characters for release; they've put considerable time into Ike, Link and Robin to make them feel functionally sound during the patch cycle, but efforts into Marth/Lucina have been pretty abysmal beyond the jab change (they still had to ensure it wasn't much better than average though with it's end lag and damage nerfs that came from just an angle change...; that didn't happen with all the throw and tilt buffs characters have received :c).
It's all guessing but I feel like that miiverse update we got that revealed Marth was in the game (duh) with his "new and improved model" was subsequently close to the last time they looked at the character and he was one of the first they worked on during development. The direct we got very early on had a lot of Marth footage too, hence my assumption (and the differences we saw, such as the near '360' degree fair that was slower got rescinded and now reminds me of Cloud's nair). The result is being an extremely outdated character due to natural power creep in incremental design*.

*So when they're developing maybe 10 chars at once and someone goes "hmm, wouldn't it feel better to the player if their up-bs had initial sweetspots behind them?" while play testing and the resounding response is "yes, of course it feels good"; that becomes something they decide to maintain through all further implementations and design. But those who came earlier were likely to miss out.

Until further notice, I think the message is loud and clear that if you want to play a good version of any of the lazily (Marth, Lucina, Mii Swordsman, Shulk) implemented swordsman, just pay $8.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
He has nothing substantial?

Don't start me or I'll never finish. Please do your research.

- Kill confirms on fastfallers that are usable in tournament, mostly D-throw > Fair.
- USmash
- His frame data is incredible
- Edgeguarding > Mario's (because Mario's edgeguarding exists against like 5 characters at most)

3DS Doc was bottom five. Current Doc is not. Please don't spew unabashed lies. This is a small list but I could go on. I'd also like you to name one of those "good matchups" Zelda has because I can guarantee you Doc does all of her MUs better solely because he has real frame data and a moveset that is entirely functional.

His matchups over Mario include

- Fox
- IMO the PK kids because you can't absorb pills
- Mario himself (I think he's easier to win with than Mario vs. Mario)
- Falco

I've played Doc since release date so I am damn well certified to say that the misinformation and blatant wrongness I just read may or may not have triggered me.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Design team just DGAF about quality assurance when it came to Fire Emblem/sword characters for release; they've put considerable time into Ike, Link and Robin to make them feel functionally sound during the patch cycle, but efforts into Marth/Lucina have been pretty abysmal beyond the jab change (they still had to ensure it wasn't much better than average though with it's end lag and damage nerfs that came from just an angle change...; that didn't happen with all the throw and tilt buffs characters have received :c).
It's all guessing but I feel like that miiverse update we got that revealed Marth was in the game (duh) with his "new and improved model" was subsequently close to the last time they looked at the character and he was one of the first they worked on during development. The direct we got very early on had a lot of Marth footage too, hence my assumption (and the differences we saw, such as the near '360' degree fair that was slower got rescinded and now reminds me of Cloud's nair). The result is being an extremely outdated character due to natural power creep in incremental design*.

*So when they're developing maybe 10 chars at once and someone goes "hmm, wouldn't it feel better to the player if their up-bs had initial sweetspots behind them?" while play testing and the resounding response is "yes, of course it feels good"; that becomes something they decide to maintain through all further implementations and design. But those who came earlier were likely to miss out.

Until further notice, I think the message is loud and clear that if you want to play a good version of any of the lazily (Marth, Lucina, Mii Swordsman, Shulk) implemented swordsman, just pay $8.
But he didn't have reverse DS in Brawl either. The only difference from Melee is that he turns around sooner so it still attacks in just one direction.

Near 360 degree Fair? You're saying he had a different Fair at one point? How do I find it?

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It would be in the original smash direct with game play.... that had ZSS revealed and Dark Pit animu IIRC.
"Nintendo direct about smash, assist trophies at like 14:40"

I felt at the e3 demo of the game that the internet backlash/complaining about it was the reason it got turned back :<

This showing it hitting directly above him:
But going by this (full air animation), it wasn't 360, he seems to retract as it reaches just below him; still a very different forward air to the one we have now.

-

Marth (like most other good character's ftilts) maybe had his ftilt starting from behind him before too
Oh and in contrast to Melee/Brawl he apparently used to step back after the initial swing of forward tilt too. Just like how Cloud does :<

The bottom being melee; Marth had all his non-sword hitboxes removed from Brawl to S4 (some were taken off from melee to brawl too); Roy got those body hitboxes though.
But he didn't have reverse DS in Brawl either.
It did... through some interaction kill off the top from behind him. A lot more consistently then you get now.
It used to be my main OoS punish to tornado from MK because optimal tornado would be spaced towards the top of your shield; it would kill at like 120% fresh + have me trade with tornado so I would get to the ground well in advance.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
3DS Doc was bottom five. Current Doc is not.
Why was 3DS Doc bottom 5 again? Was it just vectoring or did he get something big in a patch? All I remember is some damage buffs and a Usmash hitbox buff or something...

It would be in the original smash direct with game play.... that had ZSS revealed and Dark Pit animu IIRC.

You could also look at this parody image (which me finding it was how I founbut WARNING INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE; but it doesn't show the full arc

I felt at the e3 demo of the game that the internet backlash/complaining about it was the reason it got turned back :<

-

Marth (like most other good character's ftilts) maybe had his ftilt starting from behind him before too

It did... through some interaction kill off the top from behind him. A lot more consistently then you get now.
It used to be my main OoS punish to tornado from MK because optimal tornado would be spaced towards the top of your shield.
Everybody's had some weird new thing taken away over development... Luigi could walljump, ZSS had a mini Peach float, Megaman had his Dsmash and specials gutted, Dorf was re-decloned (or Amazing Amphardos['s friend?] made it up) and Pit had a lot of changes on Guardian Orbitars. Namely the removal of armor on startup, which they were too lazy to completely remove. The move calls for armor but doesn't specify a frame.

Pit's frame data back at the E3 demo was weird too. Dtilt had a ton of startup and endlag, Utilt had like no endlag. (Not that it would combo anything besides a particularly heavy Smash Run enemy.) Dthrow and Fthrow (Fthrow being the main combo throw in Brawl) didn't combo at all I think. Fair and Nair I don't think SHACed either, but Brawl Nair was bad so I didn't bother with it much.

...Maaaybe dodged a bullet there. IDK, everything was funky and experimental. Remember how forwards rolls made you continue facing forwards?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
That looks... really weird. I get the idea that Marth swings almost diagonally, but man, they really went overboard with attack trails in this game. That being said, with the way Marth swings, a lot of his moves really should be hitting at the later parts or even initial parts. This isn't limited to just Marth. Pretty much all characters have this issue and I blame attack trails as one reason.

Also, the worst example of developers not giving a damn is Zelda. She's there for the sake of being there. Stupid stuff like Din's Fire causing helpless mode despite it having no recovery applications, being too damn slow for recovery help, and Zelda herself also being too damn slow is really, really stupid. How they managed to re-break her Up and Side Smashes after fixing them in Brawl is kind of astounding. Phantom Slash alone screams filler move since it has nothing to do with Princess Zelda of Twilight Princess or the child timeline. It has something to do with "toon" Zelda of the adult timeline, but it was a one-shot deal in Spirit Tracks. Y'know what does involve Zelda in general? Light Arrows. Oh, but that's her Final Smash. Yeah, but you need an understanding of archery to use them, so why not give her a bow for a Special? Even if it was straightup cloned from Link, Zelda would be pretty damn happy to have a usable projectile. Or hell, copy Ike's Eruption and actually make Din's Fire true to its source as an AOE attack. Slap that as her Down Special. What's Side Special now? The freaking Dead Man's Volley when she was puppeteered in TP would work wonders. Nope, instead, let's use make up another charge move that she cannot store. I just realized that Zelda has 2 charge projectile Specials... Nobody else has that! Why would they!? It'd be so limiting!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Somebody doesn't realize how crazy popular the DS Zeldas were in Japan... And that Phantoms were in both.

Also Corrin has two ranged charge moves, although one's an Fsmash with a charging hitbox and then other we're really not sure what the point even is.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

But going by this (full air animation), it wasn't 360, he seems to retract as it reaches just below him; still a very different forward air to the one we have now.

-

Oh and in contrast to Melee/Brawl he apparently used to step back after the initial swing of forward tilt too. Just like how Cloud does :<

The bottom being melee; Marth had all his non-sword hitboxes removed from Brawl to S4 (some were taken off from melee to brawl too); Roy got those body hitboxes though.

It used to be my main OoS punish to tornado from MK because optimal tornado would be spaced towards the top of your shield; it would kill at like 120% fresh + have me trade with tornado so I would get to the ground well in advance.
Huh, okay thanks.

Why was anyone complaining? Did they think it was too strong? It's a straight up buff. In your picture on Marth hitting Mario, that is frame 8 (or frame 6 for Brawl/Melee) so it wasn't any worse at the end of the attack. Actually, you know how they increased the start-up by 2 in Smash 4? Well that Fair looks to have frame 4 start-up where all they did was adjust his sword and add trails for the early stuff.

His current Ftilt animation still has the backwards sword trail, right? Melee had frame 7 hitboxes, I guess you could call that below/behind. It definitely isn't necessary to have frame 7 hitboxes (nor does it make sense to me). But what makes you think that early-Smash 4 Marth had frame 7 hitboxes?

Yes but Brawl DS didn't turn around on frame 6 leaving the frame 5 hitboxes behind him like how it works for the Mario bros, Roy, and Melee Marth.

Why was 3DS Doc bottom 5 again? Was it just vectoring or did he get something big in a patch? All I remember is some damage buffs and a Usmash hitbox buff or something...

Everybody's had some weird new thing taken away over development... Luigi could walljump, ZSS had a mini Peach float, Megaman had his Dsmash and specials gutted, Dorf was re-decloned (or Amazing Amphardos['s friend?] made it up) and Pit had a lot of changes on Guardian Orbitars. Namely the removal of armor on startup, which they were too lazy to completely remove. The move calls for armor but doesn't specify a frame.

Pit's frame data back at the E3 demo was weird too. Dtilt had a ton of startup and endlag, Utilt had like no endlag. (Not that it would combo anything besides a particularly heavy Smash Run enemy.) Dthrow and Fthrow (Fthrow being the main combo throw in Brawl) didn't combo at all I think. Fair and Nair I don't think SHACed either, but Brawl Nair was bad so I didn't bother with it much.

...Maaaybe dodged a bullet there. IDK, everything was funky and experimental. Remember how forwards rolls made you continue facing forwards?
I didn't know this stuff. What is ZSS's mini Peach float? It would be cool of Pit had armor on his GO's otherwise slow start-up.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I didn't know this stuff. What is ZSS's mini Peach float? It would be cool of Pit had armor on his GO's otherwise slow start-up.
ZSS could float for a moment just like Peach with her jet heels. Saw a gif of it somewhere shortly after the E3 demo... Same animation IIRC and obviously looked silly because of it. They probably noped the heck out of that once they realized that they'd effectively be giving her rising aerials. Also the Super Leaf is the single most underrated item in the game. Wanna see Marth with a float?

Yeah, I'd like armor on it too. Pretty sure it was a holdover from Mirror Shield... Completely forgot the Brawl frame data but it was early. Think it would of been a combo breaker, but yaknow, Brawl. They probably decide to move the SA later on to make it less of a combo breaker and then realized they could just move the invincibility to X frame instead of having both. Although having SA during the shield's duration would be nice to stop the occasional Marth tipper Uair from slipping through...

The move's been through quite the revision from the looks of it. The SA was seen in a clip long before the E3 demo, and may of had a hitbox with it. Lot of stuff happened at once and Mario took 15% after dash attacking Pit during the startup while a peanut got reflected or something. The current windbox and reflector combo is a far cry from the powerful but stationary projectile blocker it was in Uprising, too. If the Impact Orbitars custom had the projectile killing effect off of Falco's Reflector Void it'd be much more accurate to the home series, but then again with how crazy OP everything is in KIU I'm not sure if you want that. Electroshock is a mere taste of how KIU really plays, hehehe. And also Upperdash is supposed to be more powerful, but Pit sucking at his own game is funny and makes sense so let's go with that.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Shaya Shaya Checking 1/4 (hold :GCLT:) I see that they did in fact take out Ftilt's backwards sword trail. But that doesn't mean Ftilt was intended to hit on frame 7. It's probably just to make the sword trail more accurate which I support. Wasn't it frame 8 in Brawl too?

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
LancerStaff LancerStaff 3DS Doc was bottom five because of his movement speed combined with lack of real strong points over Mario. He still had edgeguarding with Nado butttt his USmash was garbage in tandem with his movement (the buffs fixed that) and additionally his D-Throw > Fair kill confirm was really weak and didn't ACTUALLY kill (they buffed Doc's Fair TWICE to amend this, in different patches. It worked). His movement is still bad and holds him back, but his strengths are actually noticeable and effective now.

Vectoring was just icing on the cake and made his high damage strings that work in the meta now nonexistent. Needless to say, the character is in a much brighter place now. Shine on, you medical master.

Last edited:

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029

I can't help but feel annoyed by how Kamui/Corrin has an opportunity for a follow-up after their F-Air (@1:35, if it doesn't start there at the video).

By the way, Kamui and Corrin come out Feburary 3th, so buffs/nerfs/tweaks could be inbound.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
Marth's in this video so I was paying more attention to him than the new characters :p
Can you guys notice any buffs? He doesn't look too different to me. I did notice tipper Fair do 13% and 12%, and tipper Uair did 14% and 13%. Could it be buffs or just freshness bonuses? I don't want to get my hopes up :(

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Looks like Marth up air has 1% damage buff.
Marth Fair has 2% damage buff I'd think; sour spot one did 7% likely staled so I think sour spot is only 1% more?
Sour back air did 10% once, but that could be freshness bonus.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I also payed a lot of attention to that video. Notes:

-Tipper Fair does 12%. The 13 was freshness. The second tipper Fair on a new stock did 12%.
-Sour Fair probably does 1% more but it's possible that it still does just 7%.
-Sour Bair did not get buffed in damage. Marth hit Bayo with Fsmash (13%) then sour Bair (9%). But Bayo went from 0 to 23%. This is because of freshness. I just tested it. Fsmash then Bair does 23%.
-Dancing Blade does not work well on Pit AT ALL. The fact that the first two hits connected on Pit (Marth at 49% and Pit at 62%) could mean that DB1 does less knockback (fingers crossed).
-Landing lag and autocancels looked the same from what I could tell
-Those tipper Uairs didn't seem like they should have been tippers (especially the first one iirc). Tipper Uair is easier to get?

Edit: I checked Dancing Blade with Pit at the same percents and unless it's the tipper, both hits still connect so I don't know anymore.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Ffamran Ffamran I was thinking that they could have given Zelda Pit's arrows.
I think maybe Zelda should go English longbow. I believe that's the bow commonly associated with this sort of shooting.

Why? The Links cover the sort of sniping style of shooting, a more linear and gravity-affected archery form and the Pits cover a more free-form style of shooting. Zelda going either of their routes work, but Zelda shooting like that would be another style, one that's kind of like an anti-air and calculated style of shooting befit of the holder of the Triforce of Wisdom.

Obviously, not going to be as extreme as Hyrule Warriors or Warriors games in general, but maybe Zelda could work her "Silver Arrow", let's call it that to not make it the same as "Light Arrow", her Final Smash. Light Bow could work, but... Anyway, functionality is that perhaps Zelda could hold the button down to charge/alter the distance her arrows travel. Zelda shoots just 3 up, they fall down, and rain hell upon people. She could have an option to fire straight ahead by tapping neutral Special... maybe a burst of 3 arrows or just 1. In the air, probably should restrict her to shooting downwards like Sheik's Needle Storm since let's say even with set knockback, it could still be stupid enough that Zelda can kill off the top in the weirdest of ways.

Yeah... This is better left in the Zelda so- a PM or something. Seriously, I don't get why they didn't give her a bow for a Special, but a Spirit Tracks-only idea... Zelda's as much of an archer to Link like how Ganondorf is as much of a swordsman to Link. It's getting really close to being a part of Zelda's character as an archer and an elemental one or a magical one... Funny enough, Ganondorf would be the magical swordsman and the warlock to Zelda's magical archer and sorceress to Link's jack of all trades, slowly being less magically inclined. I swear, if Zelda ends up using a bow in Zelda Wii U and perhaps even Link's mentor later in the game, it's really going to question why the hell Zelda doesn't have a bow in Smash, but a random Spirit Tracks reference better left to Toon Zelda.

It was a completely fresh forward air.

12 * 1.05 = 12.6, easily rounding up to 13 in an already hit opponent's damage counter.
Ooo! Marth stealth buffs. :p

Anyone notice how this is bringing Marth's Fair damage closer to Roy's? Marth's current Fair does 7% sweet and 10% sour while Roy's does 11% sweet and 7% sour. It's much, much easier to hit someone closer than it is further, so Marth should be getting the same if not more reward for precision. Yes, Marth's Fair is a strong tool, but it's not overwhelmingly strong unlike some other Fairs... *cough*Sheik*cough*

Last edited:

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
At 0:56, Marth does a Dash Attack. Anyone want to check for possible frame data buffs? :p

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Now here's the potential placebo:

Explanation: Camera Angles on the stage being weird
Neutral Air and Dash Attack looked bigger

Explanation: Fantasy / placebo / whatever
Dancing Blade 1 on the ground looked less laggy.
Jab into Up Smash on Bayonetta at 11%; the up smash ground hitbox came out while Bayonetta still had the red floral affect around her feet. But chances are it could've been shielded.
At 0:09 Marth rising fairs into a fast fall and moves pretty quickly afterwards. Now while rising fair into a fast fall was possible to do without lag if you did a VERY late fast fall, if you freeze you can see the fast fall spark is up high towards the apex. His landing lag animation is NOT the landing lag animation of forward air (look at 28 seconds into the vid for an example); i.e. he's landing without lag from a forward air he has fast fallen.
BUT THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE AC WINDOW HAS BEEN TOUCHED JUST VERY DECEPTIVE TIMING ON THE FAST FALL

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
At 0:56, Marth does a Dash Attack. Anyone want to check for possible frame data buffs? :p
Oh yes, I checked that too. Dash Attack in Brawl and Smash 4 has literally zero IASA frames. You can act only after the animation ends. In the video, it's the same way. Too bad, right? I want a real DA for once.

Shaya Shaya I saw that fast fall. It was very late in my opinion. I think that would have definitely autocancelled in the current patch.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Just for funsies I looked at Pit's damage in the vid, and it appears to be unchanged. So no damage ratio/freshness changes/Sakurai magic making Marth look stronger.

Also that Pit in the video was a freakin' dip I swear. Did like ten attacks total.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Just for funsies I looked at Pit's damage in the vid, and it appears to be unchanged. So no damage ratio/freshness changes/Sakurai magic making Marth look stronger.

Also that Pit in the video was a freakin' dip I swear. Did like ten attacks total.
The first thing I thought was, "what if to make Bayo less OP, Sakurai has everything that hits her do more damage"? Then she got hit by other stuff and I saw that wasn't the case lol

Top Bottom