• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Why is MLG gross?

So what does "Seizion Senryaku" even mean? I'm assuming it's Japanese.
Something about strategy and survival or some shiz

and also, its just a kinda meh environment. Its not as nice as the dojo. But MLG does have Smash ladders for 3DS

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Ahhhh holy ****
I think I stage spiked with Marth's ledge attack.
I'm CERTAIN that it was a ledge attack, and I remember Wario in Training being launched with a trajectory that was diagonally downwards. I didn't know that Marth had a hitbox so far back there.
By the way, does usmash spike still exist?

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Ahhhh holy ****
I think I stage spiked with Marth's ledge attack.
I'm CERTAIN that it was a ledge attack, and I remember Wario in Training being launched with a trajectory that was diagonally downwards. I didn't know that Marth had a hitbox so far back there.
By the way, does usmash spike still exist?
Yeah, I experienced the stage spike ledge-getup attack once. It was glorious. Haven't recreated it since.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
*Sigh* I was just watching a brawl Marth combo video and it kind of demoralized me on using Marth in this game, since pretty much EVERYTHING they did in the combo video is no longer possible with marth in this game. Why the hell did they have to nerf Marth so hard? I get that Sakurai wants this game to be different from brawl,but I don't see why they had to change characters who did not need to be changed. Maybe one day we will get something close or identical to brawl Marth in a patch,but I highly doubt it.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
@ JingleJangleJamil JingleJangleJamil Don't be discouraged man. I admit that Marth may have been a bit over nerfed, but that doesn't mean Marth isn't unviable now. He still has all the stats and tools necessary to space and attack properly with tippers and while his aerial game isn't amazing, you can still do some potent strings by pulling out some nice neutral airs or forward airs early on and manage to chip the opponent enough for a forward smash read and force the opponent to shield if they can't get out of your zone. You can use that to try to pull off some sick b reversals and take out an opponents shield to get another KO. I plan on showcasing some videos when I have access to my laptop showcasing some really nice things you can do with Marth. All I can say for now is to not lose hope on Marth if you really want to get good with him, he might not be the best character in the game, but he's still able to be successful if you put a lot of effort. :3

On a somewhat different note. I actually really like using Marth's Dolphin Slash offensively at medium - high percentages, and has actually shown to be a very nice OoS option and a way to get someone off your back. It actually has quite good knock back starting from around the 30% to Marth and around like 40% for the enemy, and is incredibly fast with I believe 4 frames of super-armor.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
@ Quickhero Quickhero Hmm really? Maybe I should use that when someone is pressuring me,but I am of course not going to quit Marth and I know he is definitely viable, it is just that Marth does not have much of a combo game. I feel like a lot of nerfs when it comes to his combos are because of too much knockback when your opponent is at low %. By this I mean even weak moves like foward throw have been made nearly useless because they send opponents too far. Even as a an edgegaurd setup it isn't that useful since all it takes is an airdodge to avoid any attack you go for, and if you bait the airdodge they will be on the stage before you can punish it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The way I feel about Marth is that you're playing around, hopefully not getting dominated while racking up damage with tilts and punishes and then generally just going for untippered slow fall fairs into fsmash., somehow baiting them into the air is good for this.

Down throw -> bair -> fair repetitions gets you a lot of damage at low-ish percent.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
@ Quickhero Quickhero Hmm really? Maybe I should use that when someone is pressuring me,but I am of course not going to quit Marth and I know he is definitely viable, it is just that Marth does not have much of a combo game. I feel like a lot of nerfs when it comes to his combos are because of too much knockback when your opponent is at low %. By this I mean even weak moves like foward throw have been made nearly useless because they send opponents too far. Even as a an edgegaurd setup it isn't that useful since all it takes is an airdodge to avoid any attack you go for, and if you bait the airdodge they will be on the stage before you can punish it.
I know. They pretty much nerfed his entire throw game. His throws have to much knock to combo, but too title to KO. The only useful one is U-Throw,since that can KO at 170%.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
The way I feel about Marth is that you're playing around, hopefully not getting dominated while racking up damage with tilts and punishes and then generally just going for untippered slow fall fairs into fsmash., somehow baiting them into the air is good for this.

Down throw -> bair -> fair repetitions gets you a lot of damage at low-ish percent.
Yeah,but that can be escaped by DI or airdodging. Same with d throw into up air. I don't know why the hell they felt the need to give every single move in the game so much unnecessary knockback as if they want everything to be a kill move.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Yeah,but that can be escaped by DI or airdodging. Same with d throw into up air. I don't know why the hell they felt the need to give every single move in the game so much unnecessary knockback as if they want everything to be a kill move.
Yeah. It's so hard to get a proper combo. So many moves have to much knock back to combo into anything. And those few combos only work at low percents and won't convert into a KO.

Mercify

Smash Cadet
NNID
C-Grain_Chrom
Hello! I main Lucina/Marth in Smash 4 and I am curious to see if anyone can help me with spacing and techs. If you are up for the task I'd like to either play with you to find out what I do wrong and also tell me what I can add to my play, or I can supply videos of me playing so you can critique it. Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@ Mercify Mercify , I recommend reading the following threads. Promotion to Great Lord by Emblem Lord will give you an insight on how to use Marth/Lucina. The Blade of Two Fates by EternalFlame will give you a more detailed outlook on how to use both characters. Start there. Additionally, if you have any specific questions on Marth/Lucina game-play go right ahead and ask! I'm sure we will be able to answer your questions!

Mercify

Smash Cadet
NNID
C-Grain_Chrom
@ Mercify Mercify , I recommend reading the following threads. Promotion to Great Lord by Emblem Lord will give you an insight on how to use Marth/Lucina. The Blade of Two Fates by EternalFlame will give you a more detailed outlook on how to use both characters. Start there. Additionally, if you have any specific questions on Marth/Lucina game-play go right ahead and ask! I'm sure we will be able to answer your questions!
Thank you so much for the help and tips. I really appreciate it all!

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Yeah. It's so hard to get a proper combo. So many moves have to much knock back to combo into anything. And those few combos only work at low percents and won't convert into a KO.
Let's be honest with ourselves, I don't think insta-conversion from a combo to a kill would be very balanced on Marth, especially given how early Marth kills. I wouldn't necessarily say Sheik's triple/quadra f-air combo is a really FAIR (oh god that was terrible) combo seeing as how it just dominates stage control, or Diddy's incredibly annoying strings and early combos which leads to Diddy just making it incredibly difficult for most of the cast to handle him.(including not incredibly good Marth's) :(

While I'm not saying removing some lag on his aerials to provide him with a potential double tipped f-air combo of his own would be OP by any stretch. I am content for now with that sourspot n-air to tipped f-smash, which hits most heavy characters (at least Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Samus) at around 40% and ends up dealing a ridiculous amount (I think around 80%) and still provides quite a good knockback meaning you can zone said heavy character away from the stage. However, even with lighter weight characters like Lucina and Peach, you can still strong some f-airs, and use a nice f-smash RIGHT when they are going to grab the ledge for a KO at even 53% which is just ridiculous. (If I can get my laptop to work I'll probably end up showing it)

Something to test out, but I'm trying to see if you can reverse up-B, if so, d-throw to tipped Dolphin Slash will be a viable true combo starting at the 26% to anybody not Jigglypuff basically and has enough knockback at that point to become not easily punishable. Time to hit the labs I suppose.

EDIT: NEVERMIND CONFIRMED YOU CAN. :D

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I get it often enough. There's implicit timings and optimisations for how and when you jump to maximise safety and everything else. You want to be hitting them on the rise of your jump and just follow through with sour spot fairs, either fast falling or jumping again to continue the hits.
If they air dodge, you maintain positional advantage usually.

Avoid using your double jump when trying to juggle opponents, as long as you hold that, you have all the pressure and can generally cover air dodges.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Let's be honest with ourselves, I don't think insta-conversion from a combo to a kill would be very balanced on Marth, especially given how early Marth kills. I wouldn't necessarily say Sheik's triple/quadra f-air combo is a really FAIR (oh god that was terrible) combo seeing as how it just dominates stage control, or Diddy's incredibly annoying strings and early combos which leads to Diddy just making it incredibly difficult for most of the cast to handle him.(including not incredibly good Marth's) :(

While I'm not saying removing some lag on his aerials to provide him with a potential double tipped f-air combo of his own would be OP by any stretch. I am content for now with that sourspot n-air to tipped f-smash, which hits most heavy characters (at least Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Samus) at around 40% and ends up dealing a ridiculous amount (I think around 80%) and still provides quite a good knockback meaning you can zone said heavy character away from the stage. However, even with lighter weight characters like Lucina and Peach, you can still strong some f-airs, and use a nice f-smash RIGHT when they are going to grab the ledge for a KO at even 53% which is just ridiculous. (If I can get my laptop to work I'll probably end up showing it)

Something to test out, but I'm trying to see if you can reverse up-B, if so, d-throw to tipped Dolphin Slash will be a viable true combo starting at the 26% to anybody not Jigglypuff basically and has enough knockback at that point to become not easily punishable. Time to hit the labs I suppose.

EDIT: NEVERMIND CONFIRMED YOU CAN. :D
I should have specified that I was talking about the entire cast in general, with the exception on Diddy and Sheik. The fact that those characters have long combos that can convert into a KO gives them a huge advantage over the rest of the cast.

How early cn tipper F-Smash KO? Ledge and Center stage (FD) please.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
I should have specified that I was talking about the entire cast in general, with the exception on Diddy and Sheik. The fact that those characters have long combos that can convert into a KO gives them a huge advantage over the rest of the cast.

How early cn tipper F-Smash KO? Ledge and Center stage (FD) please.
Ah well then. Still I think if the entire cast had one then oh boy the imbalance would be real. I think one of the reasons why the majority of the cast minus maybe Zelda is viable, nobody besides Diddy and Sheik has insanely strong combo to KO potential and thus reduces power creep. Maybe that's just me though. :p

F-smash on ledge kills as early as 50%, while F-Smash on center kills at like 70%. Yeah, they're nice and early, if you can get a solid read off it is super rewarding.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Ah well then. Still I think if the entire cast had one then oh boy the imbalance would be real. I think one of the reasons why the majority of the cast minus maybe Zelda is viable, nobody besides Diddy and Sheik has insanely strong combo to KO potential and thus reduces power creep. Maybe that's just me though. :p

F-smash on ledge kills as early as 50%, while F-Smash on center kills at like 70%. Yeah, they're nice and early, if you can get a solid read off it is super rewarding.
I can understand that. The combo-oriented engine of Melee was very unbalancing, so I get that point. I just wish that Diddy and Sheik weren't so much better tan the rest of the cast.

That's nice. However i often find myself going in the "Marth Percent", where I can't KO but my opponents percent is very high. Tips for dealing with that?

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I think it could still be balanced if every character had combos that could end with a kill,but they would have to only work at very specific percents and require near perfect execution.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Lately I've been using down throw -> full hop back air -> (turnaround) > up air. Uair keeps the juggles going while fair usually doesn't so good to keep in mind. Also at 0%, down throw -> short hop back air -> (turnaround) -> (autocancel) -> up tilt is pretty fun.

Also for those complaining about too much knockback, that isn't the issue. If you look at the frame data, tooooo many moves have more ending lag. Whether they are aerials, tilts, smashes. These are the areas Marth needs buffs. I mean, examine up smash and down smash up close...watch Marth's animations as he recovers from these moves and tell me Sakurai doesn't have him stalling in lag a few frames just to be punished. On a 7-8% move (sour dsmash), really? Look at Link's dsmash. Look at Link's uptilt. Why can't Marth have that kind of speed and power?

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Lately I've been using down throw -> full hop back air -> (turnaround) > up air. Uair keeps the juggles going while fair usually doesn't so good to keep in mind. Also at 0%, down throw -> short hop back air -> (turnaround) -> (autocancel) -> up tilt is pretty fun.

Also for those complaining about too much knockback, that isn't the issue. If you look at the frame data, tooooo many moves have more ending lag. Whether they are aerials, tilts, smashes. These are the areas Marth needs buffs. I mean, examine up smash and down smash up close...watch Marth's animations as he recovers from these moves and tell me Sakurai doesn't have him stalling in lag a few frames just to be punished. On a 7-8% move (sour dsmash), really? Look at Link's dsmash. Look at Link's uptilt. Why can't Marth have that kind of speed and power?
That's an interesting point. It's reminded me about something I've been thinking about for a while. That's the one I'd change on Marth. So I'll ask you guys.

If you could restore either Marth's Melee range (Disjoint, tippers, and all) or his Melee lag, which wold you restore?

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings

Well that is definitely a problem,but we are complaining about knockback because Marth has little combo potential, like most other characters. It is more of a problem with the game as a whole rather than just Marth,but Marth suffers a lot more than others from the amount of knock back on moves.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Well that is definitely a problem,but we are complaining about knockback because Marth has little combo potential, like most other characters. It is more of a problem with the game as a whole rather than just Marth,but Marth suffers a lot more than others from the amount of knockback on moves.
Okay so let's say some of Marth's attacks have less knockback to supposedly help combos. How will Marth capitalize by the time he is finished lagging? By that the time the opponent (who was knocked-back a shorter distance) will be able to retaliate (sooner, if knockback was reduced) and he will be closer to Marth at that...which is less safe. And lower knockback will increase the percentage required to get a character into tumble animation. This is why knockback is the not the problem/solution for most characters including Marth. I got over the unusual knockback in this game, other than super high initial knockback jab finishers/low damage aerials, it's pretty fair IMO. But Marth doesn't have high knockback low damage aerials or jabs.

What I'd love less knockback with is dancing blade because it is useless at medium to high percents.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
@ Ekans647 Ekans647 Melee lag, easily. Marth's range may not be the best, but it's enough to make him still do well, and imo wouldn't be that great of a buff. The decrease of lag would be HUGE however, because now he can do things like double f-air and just combo more fluidly which, unlike the first, really cannot be supplemented by good practice.

Anyways, I'm preserving this part of the post for some mini combo things, most specifically confirmation of d-throw to up-b and what percentages work best for that. Unless I should upload it in the video thread, or should just make a separate post. Come back to this one when I am finished (badly) editing it.

Top Bottom