• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[See post #603] SoCal Melee Arcadian Tournament - Sept. 12

LuCKy

Smash Master
yea you guys dont have to play eachother to see whos where lol

lovage hasnt done ****

kira beat me and hugo once

:]

solved! kirad be ahead of u oscar lol

Fabian

Smash Journeyman
tkd is good at melee
i think kouryuu or adam has a chance of taking this

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
tbh i don't feel like i should be above oscar when all i've done is lose to him
and whenever he does go to tournaments he almost always does better than me and joe

and i lost to joey and hugo in losers of the same tournaments i've beaten them in

i havent had a bad tournament since i lost to kouryuu at stab's 1st tournament though (which was before 2 updates ago, long *** time). so thats good

i say we wait until joe and i play oscar again to see whats up

-kira

Adam M!

Smash Lord
this is why the rankings are a joke and i hope i'm never associated with them again

i can't believe joe is even suggesting lovage isn't better than kira/rep/et al because of a couple of "bad" losses (are they really bad if we don't know if you wouldn't of lost to them either?)

small sample size dummy. lovage has ***** you guys for months and months, one mediocre period in the rankings should not change his ranking in the slightest. and jesus at least kira realizes that it doesn't matter if you beat someone good in winners if you lose to them in losers

joeplicate

Smash Master
rankings aren't necessarily about who's "better," though, and i never suggested that me or dave was "better" than oscar
i think kira beat qlex that same tournament, too

looking at the last period objectively, he hasn't done as well. it doesn't matter if it's a small sample size, that's the sample we're looking at and placing the most weight on. having a mediocre run SHOULD change your standings, since going at it results-wise is the best way to get an unbiased pr. that's the way i see rankings anyways

it does matter if you beat someone in winners and lost to them in losers, because in this case it's a good win vs. oscar's nothing. at the very least it won't hurt dave; beating joey and hugo in winners doesn't mean he's BETTER than them, but it's a **** good showing.

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
yayuhh I can for sure go to this tournament now. Nobody else should even dream about winning teams

edit: wasn't P ranked but then he asked to be unranked?

joeplicate

Smash Master
i mean that rankings aren't about judging the absolute skill of the players; it's more about their tournament history and how they've performed (especially in the last period). if someone chokes in tournament but can beat all the ranked players in friendlies and mms (is otherwise "better" at the game), it still doesn't matter. PRs are about tournament performance--that's what counts, that's what's quantifiable.

otherwise you get problems like a retired ken still at 1st place for six months or isai in 0th

Kira-

Smash Champion
this is why the rankings are a joke and i hope i'm never associated with them again
i think it's just joe who's a little off. this is like when joe said my tournament was a joke because connor was trying to get unranked just to enter; that's just one person (who's wish won't be granted anyway), it doesn't reflect the rest of the community.

i think kira beat qlex that same tournament, too

looking at the last period objectively, he hasn't done as well. it doesn't matter if it's a small sample size, that's the sample we're looking at and placing the most weight on. having a mediocre run SHOULD change your standings, since going at it results-wise is the best way to get an unbiased pr. that's the way i see rankings anyways

it does matter if you beat someone in winners and lost to them in losers, because in this case it's a good win vs. oscar's nothing. at the very least it won't hurt dave; beating joey and hugo in winners doesn't mean he's BETTER than them, but it's a **** good showing.
i definitely agree with this, EXCEPT for the part where oscar having a mediocre run should change his ranking. This is the whole point of a panel system: so we can account for errors like small sample size and stuff like that.

joeplicate

Smash Master
no *****, i never said it was a joke

i just think it's a bad idea
PLUS i'm not the only one by a long shot, i'm just the most vocal (oscar, brendan, connor, kouryuu, to name a few)

y'all need to calm down about what i SUPPOSEDLY said lol
like p thinking i said we're better than oscar

Kira-

Smash Champion
no *****, i never said it was a joke

i just think it's a bad idea
lol oh okay that's way better

PLUS i'm not the only one by a long shot, i'm just the most vocal (oscar, brendan, connor, kouryuu, to name a few)
mmk that was a bad example then

y'all need to calm down about what i SUPPOSEDLY said lol
like p thinking i said we're better than oscar
you put him lower than us on your ranking opinion, and the rankings are reflective of skill, so essentially that IS what you said whether you meant it or not

joeplicate

Smash Master
except that i don't think rankings are exactly about skill, and then i explained in the next two posts, so not really

Adam M!

Smash Lord
except that i don't think rankings are exactly about skill, and then i explained in the next two posts, so not really
perception is reality, and everyone BUT yours is that ranking player a higher than player b means that player a is higher, so yes, that is what you said. you later clarified it but no one cares about your clarification because everyone still considers player a to be better than player b if he's ranked higher than player b.

Soid

Smash Journeyman
im winning automatically this tournament wait automatically its a word? or is a word? daaayuuum my english suxs so much

edit im winning anyways

edit maybe...

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
idk why P is allowed to enter the tournament. He was ranked on the Feb 9th update of the Power Rankings but then he asked to be taken off.

edit: oh yeah take me off the list i don't want to be on
If the point of this tournament is to give the not-as-good people a chance, then should P be allowed to enter? He can beat ranked people like Connor, Fly, and Romeo, yet he is still allowed to go. This is kinda taking away from the reason this tournament exists, but then again it's still up to Kira. What do other people think?

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean he will at this tournament, especially where only lower-level players can enter. Even so, he still does very well against ranked players.

Edit: Like I said, he was ranked but asked to be unranked. Connor wanted to ask to be unranked so he could enter and win this tournament and people said that he couldn't. P asked to be unranked for a different reason of course, but the principle is still the same: He has the skill of somebody that would be ranked, so he shouldn't be able to enter.

Top Bottom