• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[See post #603] SoCal Melee Arcadian Tournament - Sept. 12

HugS™

Smash Lord
every time hugo plays is a joke
And Brendan's marth clapping in the background is the punchline.

No but really, I probably won't enter this tournament even if I'm allowed to. I just want to see where the line is drawn.

Kira-

Smash Champion
I don't think it is unfair to hold up the tournament for just a few people (Typh), because it doesn't affect the speed of the tournament to simply call his pool last.

So yes or no on me?
You're the one exception, because even though you aren't ranked you can beat ranked players and have proved that you would easily be ranked if you were more active. So even though there isn't a true rule that says you shouldn't enter, we know you're way better than everyone else so you can't. Sorry Hugo, I'm sure you understand though.

We've thought about the issue of letting ranked players enter using only low-tiers, and other similar situations, but in the end, it defeats the purpose of having this tournament if we allow them to enter. It shouldn't be a big problem honestly, I'm sure we can survive one weekend without a tournament. Not everyone even attends every tournament, take a break and lose your bad habits.

Rickety

Peace and Love
Yay! This tournament sounds so cool! I hope I get to see all the awesome Melee cuties! And who knows? Maybe I'll be able to win a round for once? <3

Hi, MacD! <3

nublet06

Smash Lord
any thought of raising the entrance fees?

chances are whoever wins this tournament will never win a tournament for the rest of their life. why not reward them for it lol instead of playing for pogs and paperclips

it costs more to step inside the venue than it does to play in the tournament. and with this being at least 30 dollars of gas away from, i could theoretically win singles/doubles and still lose money after i buy lunch. not saying im gonna go, or win. just pointing something out.

why cheat out the nonranked people from winning some good money?

DCmoney1255

Smash Journeyman

chances are whoever wins this tournament will never win a tournament for the rest of their life. why not reward them for it lol instead of playing for pogs and paperclips

it costs more to step inside the venue than it does to play in the tournament. and with this being at least 30 dollars of gas away from, i could theoretically win singles/doubles and still lose money after i buy lunch. not saying im gonna go, or win. just pointing something out.

I definitely get what you're saying. But im assuming kira wants this more to be a way to draw out more of the newer players and give them a chance to be exposed to the community where they would otherwise avoid it because of the fear of just 0-2ing to ranked ppl. I guess the money is added incentive. Dont get me wrong tho, more moniez is better

nublet06

Smash Lord
yah its just that if you were EVER going to be willing to throw money in to a tournament, why not do it at one you have a chance to win lol.

i just cant see why any entrants would be opposed to pay the usual minimum of at least 5 dollars for each event.

theres no excuse. you arent just donating to mango like usual. nbody has any idea on who is going to win this thing. (go p ******)

MacD

Banned via Administration
Yay! This tournament sounds so cool! I hope I get to see all the awesome Melee cuties! And who knows? Maybe I'll be able to win a round for once? <3

Hi, MacD! <3
last time i checked, i played you like 3rd round at SCSA which means you had to beat a couple people to get that far

oh and kira, why are the entrence fees low, rofl brings up some interesting points

bruceleeland

Smash Apprentice
Oh nice! I can bring a complete setup forsure! Oh yes would anyone like to be my doubles partner?

DJMirror

Smash Master
so which players are banned? we all know hugs and the current PR players are not entering?

bbb

Smash Champion
if ur refering to me, I don't think of myself as an arcadian either and I won't be entering singles because of it

but I want to play DK in doubles

so I gus I'm teaming with nashun lol

it's derek if you are

bbb

Smash Champion
o lol

I totally forgot about DCmoney

and **** dawg I knew whoever he was talking about wasnt ranked

I don't think any derricks have been ranked

Kira-

Smash Champion

i'm not catering to you guys on purpose so much, helping you guys out is more of a side-effect of the type of tournament it is. if you still lose money after winning both events (highly unlikely) and that is a problem for you, then maybe this tournament isn't in your best interest.

You've paid $5 entry or more for tournaments you know you would not win, why is winning enough money a bigger problem now?

I definitely get what you're saying. But im assuming kira wants this more to be a way to draw out more of the newer players and give them a chance to be exposed to the community where they would otherwise avoid it because of the fear of just 0-2ing to ranked ppl.
what he said pretty much. not all players think they have a shot, some of the good people still think it will be a tough tournament. they're getting more bang for their buck. the venue fee is high simply because the venue cost a lot to reserve.

Top Bottom