• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[See post #603] SoCal Melee Arcadian Tournament - Sept. 12

Kira-

Smash Champion
OVERVIEW:
This tournament has been proposed in order to give non-ranked players a chance to gain more tournament experience and to improve the overall Smash skill of Southern California in general.

AllisBrawl link

Ranked players can attend, but will not be allowed to enter the tournament.
Here's a link to the current Socal Power Ranking thread.

Ranked players are allowed to come under three conditions:
1. They feel like teaching people.
2. They don't hog the TVs.
3. They don't enter the tournament.

WHEN:
September 12th, 2009

SCHEDULE:
The tournament will begin at 12 noon SHARP! Sign-ups begin at 11 AM and both SINGLES and DOUBLES will begin at 12! This will not be your typical Smash tourney that starts late! We only have the room for so long!

11 AM - Doors Open, Registration Begins
12 PM - Registration Ends, BOTH Singles Pools and Teams double-elimination bracket will begin at this time.
11 PM - Venue Closes, everything must be cleaned up before 11!

WHERE:
Quality Inn (Formerly La Quinta Inn)
14972 Sand Canyon Avenue
Irvine, CA 92618

HOW MUCH:
Venue fee: $5 *
Singles Entry: $3
Teams Entry: $2 per player ($4 per team)

In total you will pay $10 to enter all events. Since the venue fee is higher than originally planned (the venue wasn't as cheap as we thought), Doubles entry fee has been lowered, and the payouts have been slightly extended to 5th place in both events.

Pools for Singles, winners advance to a 16 or 24-man double elimination bracket.
A standard double elimination bracket will be used for Teams.
The bracket will be run using Tio tournament organizer.

* See General Rules

WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
Please bring TVs and a Gamecube or Wii! This is essential to running the tournament efficiently and in a timely manner. In the end, the success of the tournament is up to you!

--TVs--
1. Kira
2. Kira
3. Jkun
4. Jkun
5. PsychoMidget/phazermuffin
6. PsychoMidget/phazermuffin
7. Stabbed
8. Rei
9. MacD
10. Connor
11. Leeland

--GC/Wii--
1. Kira
2. Jkun
3. PsychoMidget
4. Stabbed
5. Rei
6. MacD
7. Tyrant
8. S2J
9. Connor
10. Leeland

We are aiming for 10 Full Setups, but more are always appreciated. Contact myself or Jkun and let us know if you can bring any combination of TVs, Gamecubes, and Wiis. Don't forget to bring a sensor bar and a Wiimote if you decide to bring a Wii!

Also bring your own controllers (no Wavebirds please) and your scent of a freshly taken shower.

Jason: (408) 507 - 2931
Smashboards: Jkun
AIM: jays0nnn

Kira: (949) 892 - 7228
Smashboards: Kira-
AIM: HiiomgLoL

- GENERAL / VENUE RULES -

* No Drugs or Alcohol of any kind. Do not come intoxicated or bring any substances to the tournament. If you are caught you will be banned.
* Mages DQ Rule: When your match is called, you will have 2 minutes to get to your station. If you are 5 minutes late you may receive a penalty, and if you are more than 15 minutes late you will automatically forfeit the match.
* Azen's Late Arrival Rule: If you arrive at the venue after 12 PM and still wish to sign up, you will be charged a Late Fee of $2. There will be no exceptions so please arrive on time!
* Oats' Rule (?): Do not request to have your match recorded.
* There will be no splitting of prizes allowed.

- MELEE RULES -

Stock: 4
Time: 8 mins
Sets: Best of 3
Items: OFF
Life stealing is allowed in teams

* Finals in both the Primary and the Elimination Brackets will be "Best of Five" games. Grand Finals will be "Best of Five", with the player coming from Elimination Bracket needing to win two Sets to take first place.
* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
* No player may choose a stage they have won on earlier in the set.
* In case of time-out, the winner is the player with the most stock. In case of tied stock, the winner is determined by lowest damage percent. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will decide the winner on the last played stage.
* The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned.
* Jigglypuff's rising pound stall and Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned.
* Wobbling is banned
* Neutrals may be banned.

Set Procedure - Follow these instructions for each match you play:

- Round 1 -
(1) Controller slots are agreed upon (randomly if need be).
(2) Character selection is done "Double Blind". Any player may instead choose a character before the opponent and skip Double Blind.
(3) Stage Select is determined by Elimination Method (see 'Stage Select - First Round', below).

- Round 2 -
(1) Winner of the Previous match bans a stage from the list of stages. Loser of the previous round announces the stage to be played - you may not choose a stage on which you have already won.
(2) Winner of the previous round selects character.
(3) Loser of the previous round selects character.
(4) Stage is highlighted by the previous round's loser, and started by the previous round's winner.

Repeat 1-4 for each additional round played.

Stage Select - First Round

Players alternate choosing a stage to "eliminate" from the list of available stages, starting with the player with the controller slot closest to #1. The last stage remaining is used for the first round of the set.

--- Neutral Stages ---
* Final Destination
* Dreamland 64
* Battlefield
* Yoshi Story
* Pokemon Stadium
* Fountain of Dreams (Singles only)
* Kongo Jungle (Singles only)

--- Counterpick Stages ---
* All neutral stages
* Kongo Jungle
* Rainbow Cruise
* Corneria
* Brinstar
* Pokefloats
* Mute City (Singles only)

--- Banned Stages ---
* Hyrule Temple
* Flat Zone
* Yoshi's Island
* Brinstar Depths
* Four Side
* Big Blue
* Yoshi's Island 64
* Mushroom Kingdom I
* Great Bay
* Green Greens
* Mute City (Doubles)
* Fountain of Dreams (Doubles)

Prizes will be cash-
Pot split for both Singles and Teams:
1st - 40%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 20%
4th - 10%
5th placers will receive their entry fee back.

Last Notes:

Power strips, Surge protectors, recording equipment, and mics aren't necessary but would be greatly appreciated. Please let us know before bringing any of these items.

Jkun and I will be running this tournament as quickly and as smoothly as possible in order to bring you an enjoyable, exciting tournament experience. However, we may ask for volunteers to help run Pools and to commentate on matches!

We need as many people to come to this tournament as possible! Please make an effort to invite people! Thank you!

Powerstrips:
Rei (1)

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
So I guess there's no clear cut off between arcadian and non-ranked people. Enjoy the free money, formerly ranked people.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
To go through all the trouble for this. This actually had the potential to be a good tournament.

OVERVIEW:
This tournament has been proposed in order to give non-ranked players a chance to gain more tournament experience and to improve the overall Smash skill of Southern California in general.
LOL!

DJMirror

Smash Master
WARNING I'll be a ******* to get this tournament moving asap so if i'm yelling and stuff dont take it too personal (look at stab)

hey kira make sure people text me instead

MacD

Banned via Administration
hmmmm, after some deciding i'm saying **** turlock and turlock jamba and i'll come back a week early just for this, and i'll have a set up

Pat + Me = guaranteed 1st in teams
lol ok... if you say so

To go through all the trouble for this. This actually had the potential to be a good tournament.
hey kouryuu, you going to this??

D

Deleted member

You have clearly not yet experienced the blender of sherigami and macd. Prepare to be enlightened.
actually if you remember at the last ucla I did face you two haha

I teamed with a Falco player at my school, we were down 0-1 on FD, we each had 1 stock left vs just MacD

MacD then down smashes like 5 times out of nowhere killing me and 1v1ing my partner sort of easily even though he had like 0 percent and MacD had 120

but I really think me and Pat got this, we'll see in Grand Finals

DJMirror

Smash Master
DAAAMMMMMNNNN Mad hype on MacD and Sherigami vs S2J and Pat? I'll be talking mad **** with cam and kira lol

I would like to cheer on johnny but i'm going to cheer on macd since it's 949

<3 MacD

Kira-

Smash Champion
Lol Kouryuu, I wonder if we'll ever find something you can't hate on.

I WANT TO GO!! ): But Sleepy is a bich.
Make him go! Or find a ride from someone! Or take the bus/train from wherever you live lol

hmmmm, after some deciding i'm saying **** turlock and turlock jamba and i'll come back a week early just for this, and i'll have a set up
****. macd ftw

MacD

Banned via Administration
lol, yes i do remember that s2j, most of mine and sherigami's sets were close that day

guess we'll just have to wait and see ;)... that is assuming me and him team

Kira-

Smash Champion
lol, yes i do remember that s2j, most of mine and sherigami's sets were close that day

guess we'll just have to wait and see ;)... that is assuming me and him team
this team has beaten connor and kouryuu for 3rd place at UCLA

pretty good resume (;

Race

Smash Lord
I'm so looking forward to this, I hope I can beat at least 1 person. . .lol, which prolly wont happen

Top Bottom