• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

secondary coincedince?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Hello, my name is KID. you might have seen me on these boards here or there. and i want to ask a question thats been on my mind for a while.

I am a sonic main and i ve realised something very strange on my boards...
i want to say about half of sonic mainers play Lucario as a secondary, and I was wondering if any of you guys play sonic seriously and if you dont, do any number of you guys have the same secondary.

Also, how many of you play Lucario with little or no knowledge of pokemon? In my travels through this boards it seems that many of you are enthralled with pokemon, i however stopped watching after the first season and movie and than after i decided to play Lucario I coincidentally caught his movie on Cartoon Network, and ive never owned a gameboy, however i always seemed to be really good at doing other ppls battles for them when they let me play the games on their GBs. However I THOROUGHLY enjoyed the lucario movie, and was wondering some things about the chill ppl who use him as well

Browny

Smash Hater
I dont find it surprising at all. Its obvious lucario/sonic mainers are drawn to the anthro characters, sonic and lucario are both blue... what other proof do you need lol. Anyway I havent touched pokemon for about 8 years, never heard about lucario until the ness/JP/lucario sticker info leak. instant i wikipedia'd him, he became my main.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
shut up you main sonic

also, ive also seen that a lot of black ppl who play smash (which is like more than the amount of black ppl who play every other game combined with the exceptions of madden, GTA and fight night) seem to play lucario, do you think that has somethiing to do with his, (assumed) Egyptian origins?

also, i just happen to love going fast, and martial arts. hence my two characters

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
I actually main Lucario and D3. Used to main Snake. And I play Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, and -- most recently -- Boozer for fun.

Usually I don't KO to very high percentage: 180-250%. I like to deal enough damage to the point where any decently powerful attack is going to KO, likely also due to not chasing off the ledge to finish a kill.

If I played with Sonic I bet that would be around 300%+ most of the time as I would be unable to take advantage of his KOing moves.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
I watched the show until Ash got his *** kicked by the elite 4 and only played Blue. I didn't care much for anything past the 152 pokemon (I count missingno as a pokemon!) I only recently started playing Diamond. I don't play/main sonic though. My sig shows my secondaried =P

4U2NV

Smash Rookie
I’m very new to brawl as I got it 2 days ago but I have clocked up some CRAZY time already :p anyways I’m not into pokemon so much.. yet I have picked lucario as my main and sonic is my second most played =) but I unlocked lucario and was like “whoa a ninja fox thing gotta get me some of that”
True story :-)

Timbers

check me out
I play Dedede and ROB alongside Lucario.

I had no idea who Lucario was until Brawl was released in Japan. When people mentioned him, I always thought they meant Lugia.

My pokemon knowledge is pretty meh. I followed the show until middle of season 2 and stopped. I watched the first three movies. The games are fun though. Seriously, that **** is the greatest. I played up until gold/silver, but I still pull those out every once and a while and play them. I'll try and play Diamond in the near future. It looks pretty cool.

And yeah Lucario's movie was awesome for Lucario.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Well, to make a long story short slightly less long, I was quite the pokemaniac back in the day, more or less fell off after the second generation.

I always wanted to play a Pokemon character in Smash Brothers to reflect my love of the series, but the first two games foiled my plans by having a roster composed mostly of Pokemon characters I couldn't stand, with the sole exception, Mewtwo, just being too awkward to get used to for me.

Then Brawl is announced. Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle? As one character? Ho ho ho, I've found my main! Until I sit down and realize that remembering three distinct movesets in one fight is too demanding a task for my simple mind. Curses. I've been foiled again by Sakurai.

Oh, wait... there's another new Pokemon char in here. That guy everyone was saying replaced Mewtwo. Hmm. Well, he did have that badass scene with Meta Knight in the SSE. That's got to count for something. I guess I'll give him a chance.

Well, now you know the rest of the story. I've never played Pokemon D/P, nor have I ever watched his movie. But at least I finally have a Pokemon main I love using. That's enough to make a Lucario fan out of me.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
frankly the thing that saved the movie was really Lucario, due to his personality, past, and shiz. The rest was either a) terrible or b) if not bad done 5x more effectively in another movie, which meant overall that Lucario got all the attention (hence so much meme over him, though I'm not complaining)

I play diamond (though now FFTA2 is murdering my social life) and my special sweeper Lucario is one of the best in my team (though my Honchkrow saved my *** loads of times XD).I never play Sonic: my secondary is really Link (though still pretty bad at him XD)

Xaile

Smash Cadet
my special sweeper Lucario is one of the best in my team
Hey, what a coincidence! That's exactly the role Lucario fills on my team (it took forever to get Hidden Power Ice, though :( )

Back on topic, though, I do not secondary Sonic. I don't even like him as a character.
(However, that hasn't stopped me from playing other fun characters in the past like Dr. Mario or Jigglypuff from Melee.)

As far as Brawl is concerned, I'm not sure who my secondary is, I'm in a bout of indecisiveness. Marth is pretty fun, and I get to retain the luxury of extended hitboxes. Diddy Kong and Wolf are also fun, but I don't see myself playing Sonic any time in the near future (subject to change because I'm fickle).

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Pokemon fanatic. I second Marth and C. Falcon. I knew about Lucario ever since 4th gen came out.
I use Lucario as my special sweeper too! I gave him all the pulses. (Water Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse) But I needed a fighting move, so I gave him Aura Sphere. He's not really a good special sweeper, but he gets the job done, he's mainly just for fun.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Haha, my poke following when like this...
-Red
-Gold
-Pearl
I didn't follow the cards or the show (minus the first season and parts of the later ones).
Movie wise, if it played, it was like sweet! *click*
I've only seen two, the first one, and the one with Deyoxs.

Brawl wise, Lucario main as soon as I saw Lucario game play on youtube, I was hooked.
I jump around, but I play Falco as a secondary.

Oh and did you know, the Brawl Lucario is the same one from the movie? (info from wikismash)
crazy right?
-t2

Gelsamel

Smash Cadet
I've played ALL the pokemon games, but not extensively. I love the series, it's a great set of RPGs (easily the best handheld RPGs around). As for the anime, it's horrible, I dislike it. I never -really- liked Lucario and I never leveled up my Riolu in Diamond, but I like this guys play style, and if I can get him down decently I will main him :-).

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
For those in the furry fandom, Lucario is one to be attracted to!
uh, this is kind of a forbidden topic in here, best that you keep it to yourself.

btw my lucario has Aura Sphere (duh!), Psychic (complements almost perfectly with AS), Dragon Pulse (pure awesomeness) and Thunder (pesky flying\water types...) he hasn't failed me so far =3

Nodrak

Smash Ace
For those in the furry fandom, Lucario is one to be attracted to!
uh, this is kind of a forbidden topic in here, best that you keep it to yourself.
We had another topic veer onto that topic, it got Bowser fsmashed by gimpyfish (closed) cause of it =S So lets avoid it =P

I'm actually going up against the elite 4 next, I'm still leveling up for it (diamond). Think level 55 is good enough? I have a Lucario but he's not too high of a level yet, I want to give the next Lucario my brawl tag and his 2 specials from brawl. (ES, AS, FP, DT) but I doubt he'd do too well in matches after that =S

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually going up against the elite 4 next, I'm still leveling up for it (diamond). Think level 55 is good enough? I have a Lucario but he's not too high of a level yet, I want to give the next Lucario my brawl tag and his 2 specials from brawl. (ES, AS, FP, DT) but I doubt he'd do too well in matches after that =S
I did mine with lvl 52. Not too hard but get LOTS of healing items (especially Lemonades. My lucario is a lemonade addict)
on your Lucario brawl build: you might actually work it well. get adamant nature (increases attack, lowers sp. attack), Force Palm (nice chance to paralyze =3 still close combat would be ideal), Extremespeed (awesome move), Swords Dance (it just spells MURDER) and Earthquake (the most overused move in PKM games, and well justified). That would make a nice physical sweeper, even if below average due to FP instead of close combat.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
What wii game?
theres a lot.
Like the pokemon stadium for the wii?
or that pokemon farm game?

I never used Lucario in the game. I had him, but didn't do anything with him. Now he's the lead in my army of a secondary team.
move set. idk.
-t2

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
If you had asked me that question about four months ago I'd be going crazy right now.

Truth is I don't play Pokemon anymore (sort of got bored with it). I played pokemon diamond version and yes I did have lucario on my team (and let me tell ya swords dance sweeper= amazing!!!!!). I sort of went through a gradual change between diamond to brawl.

I main both snake and lucario. Tried sonic but didn't like it.

Xaile

Smash Cadet
btw my lucario has Aura Sphere (duh!), Psychic (complements almost perfectly with AS), Dragon Pulse (pure awesomeness) and Thunder (pesky flying\water types...) he hasn't failed me so far =3
My Lucario has:
Aura Sphere: Standard Special Fighting Attack.
Vaccuum Wave: To deal with speedy fragile pokemon, especially Weavile (that boasts a 4x Weakness to Fighting), but also good for others like Aerodactyl.
Dark Pulse: To deal with Psychics and Ghosts, who are Resistant/Immune to fighting, respectively.
Hidden Power (Ice): To deal with Dragons (especially the flying variety that resist Aura Sphere) and Gliscor. Also works well on Torterra.

I did have lucario on my team (and let me tell ya swords dance sweeper= amazing!!!!!).
I always wanted to try the physical sweeping set, but I don't have any more patience with breeding any more Riolu (especially since it took forever to get one with a good Hidden Power Ice).

Back on the topic of secondary characters, I've actually been messing around a bit with Ike, and I'm pretty happy with him. I just need to avoid going against projectile spamming characters (like a third of the cast).

Besides, Ike fights for his friends. Lucario fights for his chocolate.

Annhialator Zero

Smash Apprentice
I actually play Pokemon competitively and Lucario is a feature in most of my teams (Mostly because he's so good lol).

EDIT: @ Tallen: I like Crunch > Earthquake so you don't get owned by Ghosts (Gengar is immune to every one of your moves).

Timbers

check me out
It seems like Lucario can learn everything. I haven't played Diamond yet, but hearing how he can use Ice/Electric/Ground/Psychic/Dark is pretty awesome. I seriously need to play this game.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Lucario is definitely a beast in Diamond. He's in the most powerful tier category that is legal in competitive play also.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
My Lucario has:
Aura Sphere: Standard Special Fighting Attack.
Vaccuum Wave: To deal with speedy fragile pokemon, especially Weavile (that boasts a 4x Weakness to Fighting), but also good for others like Aerodactyl.
Dark Pulse: To deal with Psychics and Ghosts, who are Resistant/Immune to fighting, respectively.
Hidden Power (Ice): To deal with Dragons (especially the flying variety that resist Aura Sphere) and Gliscor. Also works well on Torterra.
oh snap, I meant dark pulse, not dragon pulse. either way I don't need hidden power (ice) 'cause I already have a frosslass for these nuts =3

EDIT: @ Tallen: I like Crunch > Earthquake so you don't get owned by Ghosts (Gengar is immune to every one of your moves).
you mean the physical sweeper set? then perhaps but he wanted to have two of Luc's special attacks on it.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
well, thanks for the input guys, i guess the sonic to lucario transition only goes one way, but it is good to know that not everyone in here is a pokemaniac. but now im concerned about the race thing, how many of you are noncaucasian cause its seems to me that luc attracted black ppl to play him more than other characters

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
well, thanks for the input guys, i guess the sonic to lucario transition only goes one way, but it is good to know that not everyone in here is a pokemaniac. but now im concerned about the race thing, how many of you are noncaucasian cause its seems to me that luc attracted black ppl to play him more than other characters
i'm white, but this *might* get some people mad...

Timbers

check me out
I'm going to second what Tallen said lol.

But I'm white folk.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
I shoot Aura out of my hands.

Coincidence, perhaps...
-t2

yea, and Im white, well tan, but Caucasian.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
I know someone that mains Lucario and secondaries Sonic.

Anyways, I loved Pokemon for a while, and I'm playing Pearl on an emulator (computer). I started a bit before I got Brawl, and I thought Lucario was a cool Pokemon, so I just played him in Brawl and it turned out to be pretty fun.

Annhialator Zero

Smash Apprentice
Aura Sphere/Extremespeed/Dark Pulse or Crunch/Stone Edge or Dragon Pulse

Moveset I thought up to use Lucario's Brawl moves

Also, I like to play as Sonic a bit. I wouldn't consider him a main or anything, he's just fun to mess around with.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I also play Olimar. My Sonic is crap but he's fun sometimes. I have a lot of friends who only play Sonic. Out of the Sonic players with secondaries, the most common ones I've seen in my friend group were MK and Marth.

CUsmasher2011

Smash Journeyman
I am a black person with one of my mains being Lucario (gasp, right?) and I found Lucario style to play to be intriguing....that is why I chose him (and Sonic is in fact, my other main). Now, why the few black people who play this game like Lucario (according to others who have played with them)....beats me.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
I had no clue who Lucario was when I first got the game. I was playing my friend who was using Lucario (because she knew who he was in Pokemon), and from what I noticed about Lucario I thought he would be a nice fit for me. I still have no clue who Lucario is... other than it is a Pokemon. I just like the air game and the ability to combo (which I thought goes awesome with Lucario doing more damage when he is hurt).

Top Bottom