• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Season's Beatings III: Money/Power/Resets! Columbus, OH -Oct. 18/19 - '08

D3ltaPunk

Smash Apprentice
I still need a partner and can people meet up at momos for smash or where is the smashing going to seriously be at? It's cause from the red roof inn i got no other rides.

Framerate

Smash Lord
Hey do I need to prereg for this???

I guess I might as well, since I'm posting and all.

Name: Framerate Apington the Third
Tag: Frame
Tourney: SSBB
Controls(?): Tap Jump: Off
Sexy: Yes

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
lol 10 people melee tourney, that sucks. if the venue fee wasn't so much we'd get more players, but someone wants to make profit so our wallets and our tournament suffers

Fugee Posting:

Nobody is trying to make a profit off of anyone. Melee was added when your community suggested it due to not liking the ALL Brawl Rules. So since this community has supported my events I gave you 3 smash tournaments within 2 days. You obviously have no Idea how much this entire tournament cost Ghaleon and I but we do not have sponsors . I am also waiving that fee to people whos equipment that we use. WE front all the expenses up front regardless of who shows up. Aside from smash this has grown into one of the Largest tournaments in the country. $20 for this location/ Venue and the amount of top players that will be attendance in everygame is more then worth it. Plus we are giving pot bonuses for singles that reach 100, on top of waiving the venue and tournament fees in some games at Final Round XII. Trust me Ive been travelling to majors since 02, Ive seen people pay more for less. On another note I thank everyone else for their support.

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm sure $20 might seem high to some people here but just moving the pool tables in there this year cost about as much as it did to rent MoMo's for SB2, haha. We've got 450-odd people registered and 32 states representing -- this is a true event.

We hope to see a high interest in Melee -- Brawl has a healthy list, so I'd def recommend some of you Brawl guys stick around for Melee for sure. We added it out of respect for the community, which has given us such great numbers every tourney.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Forward you better teach me Melee so I can get at least 2nd to last place! I have a feeling all I need are Falcon Knees.

forward

Smash Champion
450 people at $20 each = $9000

Maybe I'm not the most knowledgable person when it comes to tournament finances, but forgive my ignorance when I say that's excessive.

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
We've explained about the cash/promotion we have spent and are spending on this tournament, incl. equipment, and also regarding pot bonus $$ we put back into games. If that's unacceptable to anyone you're free to miss out. The people who come know we take care of business and the players and run world-class **** people have not arranged anywhere else, anywhere, and are pretty clearly not ripping off people, hundreds of whom we know personally. It takes a lot to make that happen.

Complaining about the entry fee a week before the tourney, gs.

forward

Smash Champion
Clearly, I missed that post where you explain where all the cash is going. Link?

Look dude, you don't need to get all defensive and start qualifying yourself to me. If you say it'll be worth it, I'll believe you.

And do I understand this correctly?
"on top of waiving the venue and tournament fees in some games at Final Round XII"

So, part of my $20 is going to another tournament? Let people who go to FR12 pay for FR12, why are we footing the bill?

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
On this page -- fugee's post and I added an example about the pool tables + etc. Dunno if you wanna call it defensive, just being up front. We can explain the $$ thing if people want all day, but I mean it's set in stone and if people just can't get past it we gotta footnote with "If you don't like it don't come", haha, so we can bury the subject. Haters will hate.

No, he was describing something FR did -- SB has nothing at all to do with FR financially.

Bottom line is this a major with the best venue, huge numbers, and tons of special tourneys and interesting things not done elsewhere for players in every game we can cover (like 14 tourneys). And we've always catered to Smash because from Day 1 the numbers were huge.

A week before the tourney is not the time for this conversation though. So to put this to bed: either the players can trust what we do because they've been with SB and like what they saw, or trust other people's perception of us, or you'll have to read about it Monday morning :)

MegaFEAR

Smash Apprentice
im coming for melee... even with the $20 venue. It is a little excessive, but im desperate for melee. (and its still cheaper than darkrain's)

TheKiest

Smash Champion
A week before the tourney is not the time for this conversation though. So to put this to bed: either the players can trust what we do because they've been with SB and like what they saw, or trust other people's perception of us, or you'll have to read about it Monday morning :)
Well said.

Look at this as another EVO, you would have to pay much more to get into that. Here we get to see very skilled players at their finest and get a chance to meet people in the community. Pay the 20 and you won't regret it.

Also, I'll be bringing my TV and Wii at around 11-11:30ish if people want to come early and warm up.

D3ltaPunk

Smash Apprentice
Cool, Quivo if I gave you gas money mind taking me to your place for some smash then dropping me back at the venue. I'm a lazy *** to walk 20min. Plus I wouldn't know my way there lol.
Plus anyone looking for a brawl partner. . .? Seriously. . .

T-800

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I'm pre-registering assuming it's not too late...

Name: T-800
Tag: T-800
Tourney: Brawl Tourneys on Saturday

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
Since this is a multi-day tournament, do we need to pay 20 bucks each day or 20 for the weekend?
NoNoNo -- just $20 gets you entry all weekend. The tournies are each a separate entry fee though because that makes up the pot.

lain

Smash Master
is forward coming? cause darkrain's tourney is on the same weekend, and mango has forward as his partner ?_?

anyways, if it's not too late to enter...

lain
brawl singles+doubles
melee singles
maybe i'll play guilty gear.

rofa
brawl singles+doubles
melee singles?

TopiSwarm

Smash Rookie
Same as T'Ate up there. Signing up on the offchance that things aren't closed. (*has been told that they're still watching the thread and filling slots on first come first serve*)

Name: Matt Weehee
Tag: VIRT
Tourney: Brawl Tourneys on Saturday

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
Fugee Posting again:

Forward I think it would be best if you just didnt come to our event period, since you helped sponsored it out of your own pocket. Ive been in the fighting game community for long time and YOU will not find ONE post in any fighting game thread or site that speaks of Ghaleon or I burning anyone for money. We took losses on the last 2 we did after ppl destroyed furniture at momos, even though the pre regs then suggested a profit and still gave bonuses. 450 x $20 =$9000 yes but all those ppl arent guaranteed to show up and actually pay it so again we assume all the risk of losing the front money to make this possible. Whatever is left over is put into the next event , which keeps growing so the cost to make it better is gonna rise. Next time I suggest you have some facts on someone who you dont know before passing fraudulent judgement on them, end of story.

forward

Smash Champion
I said you wanted to make profit, that's not saying you are cheating people. You had losses the last two times, now you want to make profit to cover for those loses and possibly next. Great, I don't care. You have your reasons for wanting profit, so does everybody, don't take it personally. I'm not trying ot start **** though, so I'll leave it at this. You guys have a tourney to run and I don't wanna make it any more difficult than it already is.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Hey AZ, Are you going to pick us up from the airport or are you still doing that Soap? Also Soap do you know where Alpha Z lives? A good time to go to the Airport would be 7:00 PM because we both (Forward and I) will be there by then. 480-323-6091 that is me btw. Texts are great. :)

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Hey AZ, Are you going to pick us up from the airport or are you still doing that Soap? Also Soap do you know where Alpha Z lives? A good time to go to the Airport would be 7:00 PM because we both (Forward and I) will be there by then. 480-323-6091 that is me btw. Texts are great. :)
good luck at the tourney dook!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I cannot pick up from the airport, you guys should be in contact with Soap/Quivo, at worst though you would have to split $30-35 taxi charge (which would suck, but its not like your flying into NY and have to fork over $50 just to go 12 blocks.

Q knows where I live, I don't know if Soap does or not (I think he may...).

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
I cannot pick up from the airport, you guys should be in contact with Soap/Quivo, at worst though you would have to split $30-35 taxi charge (which would suck, but its not like your flying into NY and have to fork over $50 just to go 12 blocks.

Q knows where I live, I don't know if Soap does or not (I think he may...).
Alpha Z: Thank you! PM your address so I can get a route from the airport. Also PM me your cell phone or house number so we can give you a heads up of when we are coming.

I will PM Soap to confirm rides.

Top Bottom