• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
You ninja'd me phish-it.

To expand upon my first statement, I think the risk:reward of being a spacee was supposed to be that you were easy to combo and kill while dishing out large, damaging combos and kills yourself. I mean, that's why they're fast and strong, yet light with linear recoveries, right? It just turned out that the risk was a little small compared to the huge reward. However, this same value should be in place for every character for that char to be balanced. I think the key to fixing Bowser is making the reward worth the risk, not decreasing the risk itself.

Edit: Bowser should be heavily comboed as the price to pay for being such a large, heavy character. He would be extremely hard to kill otherwise, since he has good tools to avoid getting hit (or to acquire trades) and is super-heavy. I think the right thing to do for Bowser would be to buff the second thing on Stevo's list to the point that it counteracts the risk of being hit. If Bowser can be 0-to-death'd, then he should be able to 0-to-death others, too. Not that extreme, of course, but you get the idea.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
<_<;

You're banned from making statements about Pichu prior to my approval. :I

If you guys are interested, please make some suggestions about Pichu. Entirely re-evaluating the character as it is is not out of the question.

Other than "nerf Skull Bash." We heard you guys loud and clear! ;P

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Well, I don't mind Pichu being super fast. It kinda makes sense, even from a "canon" standpoint, since Pichu isn't able to contain its electricity as well as Pika. However, he should trade his speed for power maybe. Of course, he still shouldn't be able to hurt himself from electric attacks.

Edit: Or maybe in return for super speed and power, he should be made lighter than he already is. The ultimate glass cannon.

enCouRaging Bear

Smash Journeyman
I dislike SD Remix because it feels like it's being made similar to PM in that they're trying to make moves link specifically to others.

But Melee's entire combo system is largely organic. That's one of its defining features. Almost everything in the game has emerged as a result of nature.

Building it with BNBs in mind seems to go against what's made this game so cool and unique to play for years. Morever, I feel that approach is dangerous in general.

Also, every character is Falcon. Or Falcon fused with another character.
i agree with this statement for some of the chars though it is SUPER IRONIC cuz kk plays sheik who has some of the most ridiculous BNB in the game that must have been designed to be that way.

I also like your response Viet that it's hard to draw the line between natural and mechanic when considering comboable moves in melee.

I think part of the issue of things feeling to contrived lies with the fact that some of these BNBs are too potent at too big a range of percentages in SD remix. I think Link's combos are way too easy (u-smash connects far too well and the first hit comes out so fast. Dash attack > dash attack, u tilts > u tilts and all of these moves connect to each other and u-air, etc) but all of this naturally occurred when only some speed adjustments were made to his moves. it's really dificult to make just the right changes so that you can maintain that organic feel that melee has while still improving upon a chars design

on another note i really like sd remix and hope it gets some real feedback from more legit top players. i don't think alot of the players commenting here (myself included) have the game knowledge to criticique this game. It's too easy for people to mistakenly call something broken if they know you can change it rather than make up strategies of their own. but the top players are less likely to make that mistake. im really hopeful that we can get the "organic" feel of this game right unlike in project m where people don't seem to be as concerned with that

odinNJ

Smash Lord
As a legit roy main I suppose I could try this out and give some feedback.

Ill get to it eventually

VietGeek

Smash Hero
If you're struggling against Pichu, learn to keep him out. He has abysmal range and trading should almost never be in his favor.
Exactly. Of course it's easier said than done, but that's the point no? Even though there are some..."unique" design choices applied to Pichu at the moment, he still has the same fundamental flaws and still weighs less than papers or resting balloons.

As a legit roy main I suppose I could try this out and give some feedback.

Ill get to it eventually
Awesome. Although I haven't responded to every concern or suggestion in here, do know I read each and every one of them.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I would like to play as well and try to offer some critique especially on MewTwo, is using the SD media launcher relatively intuitive and straightforward? I looked it up online, found it for twenty dollars, and am considering getting it for this. Is it as simple or almost as plugging in the SD Card+launcher, playing the disk that comes with it, and choosing the file?

EDIT: So I'm not sure how feasible this is... but iirc from a video I saw you guys changed samus's usmash right? Since I also remember you saying you can't edit animations, it appears you guys DO know how to move them around. With that being the case, would it be possible to give MewTwo a new, more useful ftilt using his side-b animation? The move I had in mind would be him waving his hand (as in the side-b animation) and producing a slash of "psychic energy" in front of him that functions similarly to his ftilt, but with better priority (due to likely increased damage [it's a psychic move after all] as well as being more disjointed) as well as being higher up). The up-angled version (I imagine the character animation for all three ftilts will have to look the same) will do the same thing but with the slash angled upward. Since the center of the arc of the slash will be the center of his body, the u-ftilt serve as a good anti-aerial approach option where his current ftilt doesn't because of the low center of his tail putting his body hurtboxes a lot higher than the hitboxes on his tail. It'll also serve as a better knockdown move in general just because of the improved aspects, and the d-ftilt will even serve as a better onstage edgeguard that will straight outprioritise a lot of recoveries rather than losing to (serving no purpose) or trading with (which may prevent him from follow-up edgeguards should the tilt not outright kill) them.

EDIT2:
It would also be a nice mix-up if his confusion has been improved (I assume it has been somehow, I haven't had the fortune of playing just yet) because of the similar initial animations.
For ease of viewing, here's the animation

He waves his hand right to left and bottom to top, so if this were to be a thing, the arc would need to follow the same path. His hand starts moving around frame 10 and finishes the path across his front around frame 30, so ofc you guys would need an FSM or 3. I've heard you guys have run out of room for those, so for now this isn't realistic I suppose.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
If you're struggling against Pichu, learn to keep him out. He has abysmal range and trading should almost never be in his favor.
That's the problem. It's almost impossible to just "keep him out." If walling was all it takes, then Jigglypuff would be a bottom tier character. All you have to do is "keep her out." Trading usually isn't in her favor, either. She's still an extremely good character.

Exactly. Of course it's easier said than done, but that's the point no? Even though there are some..."unique" design choices applied to Pichu at the moment, he still has the same fundamental flaws and still weighs less than papers or resting balloons.
The problem I see with Pichu is that he can use his speed to safely bait a reaction from his opponent way too easily which he can then punish with a super hard-hitting move from a half-FD away. Pichu was always about baiting and punishing, because the risk of trading was just way too high, but now the reward he reaps off of a successful bait is just too large. Also, that sideB is safe on block, which is a huge problem.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Since you guys are probably going to change ness's pk shine (that's the impression I've gotten, at least) have you considered making it like Fox's ssb shine? Rather than ending really quickly, make it land cancelable?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yo guys, I can't extract the sys and root-files using command prompt. It doesn't recognise the code. Can someone explain more in detail or make a tutorial video? I wanna give this patch a try.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well it's the same you showed in the first post:

cd c:\dml\
gcreex -x (melee iso name + file extension)
Kinda wondering which order you have to put them and what to do inbetween (so after the first command, do I have hit enter or enter the next command right away?)
It doesn't recognise "gcreex -x"-part, even if I drag GCReEx.exe on command prompt (because my SD Card is labeled as F:-drive.)

Internalyzed

Smash Apprentice
I uploaded the new version of the logo (after cropping out whitespace and adding transparency), so that's the version you're seeing. Previous file versions can be found on the file page (just scroll down).

EDIT: fixed the link

VietGeek

Smash Hero
New announcement.

We plan to demonstrate a preliminary build of Demo 2 at APEX 2013. While we aren't sure if we can secure an official booth at APEX, Ripple will be there to playtest and offer freeplay sessions.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
if anyone sees any low tier mains at APEX please tell them to find me (The tallest smasher there) and give it a try

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm interested in testing this out as Pikachu.

Ripple how tall are you?

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
damn, 2 inches off :urg: oh well lol

looking forward to some sdr goodness :)

Top Bottom