• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scorpion Master who?

j3ly

Smash Champion
i would say yes, 100% and still looking to place 1st with mario at a big tournament, until moving onto doing the same with samus. he will surely make an appearance at the nxt big US tournament.

Americans. come to SNY2!! Bed, food prepared, 3 day event with hbox and all the top europeans. you would be silly to miss it :)

otg

Smash Master
lolll, I really don't think Mango is interested in winning a national with Mario to prove his viability or anything (because frankly, he's not). I'm certain he's doing it just to show how much better he is then the rest of the Melee community. It's the same reason he picked Samus against Shroomed at Ownapalooza... he was just trying to do what Hugs couldn't. Same thing with going Falcon against Zhu after Zhu beat Jeff... he's just a huge troll.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
lolll, I really don't think Mango is interested in winning a national with Mario to prove his viability or anything (because frankly, he's not). I'm certain he's doing it just to show how much better he is then the rest of the Melee community. It's the same reason he picked Samus against Shroomed at Ownapalooza... he was just trying to do what Hugs couldn't. Same thing with going Falcon against Zhu after Zhu beat Jeff... he's just a huge troll.
which is why i dont look at his mario being the best

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mango spaces F-smash much better than any Mario I've seen. Considering that's one of Mario's most important moves, I think it's fair to say that he could in fact be the best Mario. He doesn't jump into the **** unnecessarily like other high level Mario players do either (I'm probably thinking of Boss for the most part).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've gotten vids of me and some friends from yesterday...you guys'll be seeing those within the next 24 hours.

I consider my playstyle very conservative for the most part.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
hey so, is it cool if we make this the video critique thread? I mean, the thread title fits it pretty well and this thread could probably use some guidance. plus blanky just posted some vids that j3ly should probably see and I have a feeling he doesn't like to even aknowledge the social thread

also I'm very hyped to see your Mario A2, even if I think it's gonna be super gay =P

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
i agree w/ u, m@l.

as soon as some1 records me ill get vids up. thatll be awhile. but considering how much advice that A2 gives, id love to see his mario.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
I'm gonna try and get some recorded of me at ROM3. they'll probably be on a vid camera though because pools are ****in hard to get out of

otg

Smash Master
Do any of you guys actually go out to tournies and what not?

M@1, you're from LI? You should've come out to DIanetics today (in Mineola) and a large amount of LI players showed. It's always good to meet more mid tier mains.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I've been to two official tourneys. A San Jose Tourney (west SJ?), and Ownapalooza (or when I entered: Champ Food Combo (8?)) Was last in the SJ one since it was my first official tourney (my previous 2 were school tourneys which I won $27 on the 1st one and got 5th/16th the 2nd one :D). I got 25th/33rd in CFC :D

My Mario did better than my Falco so in CFC I didn't even use Falco :D Too bad Cruise was banned when I went to CFC...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've been to like two Melee tournaments ever, and it was before I really knew what I was doing in this game, and I have since improved my gameplay mostly through experience in my circle of competitive friends. Santa Barbara doesn't have very many tournaments unfortunately.

Vids are coming up btw:
vs Peach
vs Falco
vs Falcon
vs Falco

Last match is basically the reason why I hate Falco. I still don't get what Mario is supposed to do in that matchup besides **** off a grab. I could blame it on Pokemon Stadium I guess, but ugh.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace

M@1, you're from LI? You should've come out to DIanetics today (in Mineola) and a large amount of LI players showed. It's always good to meet more mid tier mains.
you have no idea how much I wanted to go
family emergency came up. I basically was making posts from a hospital
are you a NY player? city? LI?

otg

Smash Master
I live in Westchester county, I"m like 10 minutes south of PC Chris and 10 minutes north of DJN/Alu/Jman/Chops/Vanz etc. So I tend to play with them a lot.

All I'm saying, is you guys pop off alot about how "the mario's are becoming legit" but I never hear about any of you, I never see Mario's placing and it really seems to me like you guys are only playing with your groups of friends. The only way you'll truly get better, and actually amount to anything is by going out to tournies and putting in that work.

Just saying. The Mario's aint doing ****.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
hate to say it, but I completely agree with you. I mean we're getting back into theorycrafting and such, and obviously our matchup thread is pretty booming, but as for people knowing our names. We may as well be underground smashers. I mostly have rides johns but it could be better

I'll **** **** up at ROM3
promise =)

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
I live in Westchester county, I"m like 10 minutes south of PC Chris and 10 minutes north of DJN/Alu/Jman/Chops/Vanz etc. So I tend to play with them a lot.

"the mario's are becoming legit"
HOLY **** that's amazing.
I live 6 hours from the nearest player LOL

The Mario's aren't legit what-so-ever.
NONE OF THEM! >:[
It's all talk I hear.

Been to 1 in October. Last time I played smash was in July before that, and I picked up Mario when I went there. lol
Did way too good for my first tourney in 1/4 of a year and for the first time using this character.
Way too good. o.O

Last match is basically the reason why I hate Falco. I still don't get what Mario is supposed to do in that matchup besides **** off a grab. I could blame it on Pokemon Stadium I guess, but ugh.
WD OOS more. In all matches. Especially if you're under him (Dair isn't good)

We may as well be underground smashers.

promise =)
I'm more of a coach than a player. lol

See you there :p

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
We'll do the talking, and let Scorp put things all into practice. LOL j/k

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
WD OOS more. In all matches. Especially if you're under him (Dair isn't good)
If the answer was as simple as WD OOS more, I wouldn't be having a problem. I mean WD OOS is a lot more useful against a character like Marth tbh, and that character doesn't give me nearly as much trouble as Falco. But like when you get lasered and then he approaches for free, or if his lingering aerials still catch you out of WD when he attempts to overspace, things get ugly. I don't really get where WD OOS helps a ton against Falco. =/

Honestly I know most of my problems against Falco would go away if I powershielded lasers consistently though. There's some players who do that pretty consistently, so I'm working on that.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
in that last falco match he was laser ****** you. just get better at avoiding them
bamesy is right. wd oos more. halfway through my first tourney I remembered I could do it, and got noticeable better
think of it like powerthirst. it's going to make you noticeable better at every match you play. ever.
also you tried to compete with falco's dair alot. either that or you had slow reaction time. either way just run away or go above it with a dair of your own. but thats risky. and risky is a no no against falco.

ALSO against peach, you had some chances to fsmash and you didn't take them. it bothered me because you ended up grabbing and doing some grab attacks when she was at like 130%. it's just not good

bamesy you comin to ROM 3?? HYPE HYPE HYPE I have a feeling our styles our similar
it's like
I can see into your soul
or as they say in the movie Avatar
I see you.
no homo.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
To be honest I don't even think it was lasers in particular that were destroying me in the last match. When I was first KOed, I fell for a shenanigan that I probably could have avoided by just waiting. I dropped a combo when Falco was around like 90% when a D-throw -> D-smash might have scored me a KO earlier. When I got KOed the 3rd time, I whiffed a grab as Falco leaned forward doing a move even though I clearly was in range to do a grab. On the water transformation I also was somehow in the wrong place at the wrong time and got hit by a lot of stuff that took me by surprise. And then Dante got better at figuring out my recovery plan.

I hate PS in general as Mario. Not much for him to abuse that stage, and a lot of the stage gets in the way of chaingrabs.

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
To be honest I don't even think it was lasers in particular that were destroying me in the last match. When I was first KOed, I fell for a shenanigan that I probably could have avoided by just waiting. I dropped a combo when Falco was around like 90% when a D-throw -> D-smash might have scored me a KO earlier. When I got KOed the 3rd time, I whiffed a grab as Falco leaned forward doing a move even though I clearly was in range to do a grab. On the water transformation I also was somehow in the wrong place at the wrong time and got hit by a lot of stuff that took me by surprise. And then Dante got better at figuring out my recovery plan.

I hate PS in general as Mario. Not much for him to abuse that stage, and a lot of the stage gets in the way of chaingrabs.
I love PS for some reason. anywho, i think you have to punish his recovery more. if you can through him off the stage, just do it, dont go for the u-throw. early gimps are great. ledgehopped n-airs work well on fox and falco. when they're trying to record onto the stage. gotta work on perfecting that waveland from the edge too. you SD'd a lot because of that. and you should WD OOS a lotttt more.
i liked your b-airs and u-tilts though. pput them to good use!

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
When I was first KOed, I fell for a shenanigan that I probably could have avoided by just waiting.
One of the 1st things to do to improve the Mario metagame is to either rush more or become a little more campy.

otg

Smash Master
hate to say it, but I completely agree with you. I mean we're getting back into theorycrafting and such, and obviously our matchup thread is pretty booming, but as for people knowing our names. We may as well be underground smashers. I mostly have rides johns but it could be better

promise =)
The problem is, when you're only playing with friends and you're only basing **** on "theorycrafting", you might as well not bother playing the game. I hear this kind of talk from players who don't go out that often, and you have to understand that this game plays out way differently in friendlies then in tourney. It's great that your boards have activity, but I feel like a lot of your matchup chart information is wrong because it is based on a perspective of the game that doesn't actually play out at top level.

But w'e, I'm just ranting. Good luck at rom3.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I dunno, I think it's pretty fair to theorycraft based on impressions from tournament videos. I don't think it takes a brain to realize that Boss's Mario is bad against ChuDat's ICs because he's extremely aggressive for instance (this is also why he's better with Doc, who actually has more reason to be aggressive than Mario). On a related note it's pretty easy to see how Mango's (and imo KDJ's) playstyle that emphasizes perfect spacing has many more advantages over most of the popular rushdown Mario styles.

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
The problem is, when you're only playing with friends and you're only basing **** on "theorycrafting", you might as well not bother playing the game. I hear this kind of talk from players who don't go out that often, and you have to understand that this game plays out way differently in friendlies then in tourney. It's great that your boards have activity, but I feel like a lot of your matchup chart information is wrong because it is based on a perspective of the game that doesn't actually play out at top level.

But w'e, I'm just ranting. Good luck at rom3.
I go to tourneys :). i just started playing 11 months ago though so i havent gone to any huge ones, just medium-sized local ones. i play people like Darc, Dazwa, KDJ, th0rn, Banks, Zoso, and a couple of others at the tourneys. when i'm not at a tourney i play people like the Irish Mafia and omegablackmage, but on occasion i'll play Mofo, ArcNatural, and KDJ. but of course i usually play with my good friends Sora and J-Dog who are unknowns (like me).

i know what you mean though, idk any marios that go to big tournaments all the time, but i think we're making our way there slowly.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
bamesy you comin to ROM 3?? HYPE HYPE HYPE I have a feeling our styles our similar
it's like
I can see into your soul
or as they say in the movie Avatar
I see you.
no homo.
Avatar is lame but yes, I will be there. LOL
Sion and I gotta rep WC Canada this time since Diakonos and BO10 tried to take it last time at Apex.

Similar style? Aight, you must be ridiculously stylin then. :p

The 1st thing to do to improve at smash is to use your brain.
Fixed*
Brain is top tier.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Avatar is lame but yes, I will be there. LOL
Sion and I gotta rep WC Canada this time since Diakonos and BO10 tried to take it last time at Apex.

Similar style? Aight, you must be ridiculously stylin then. :p

Fixed*
Brain is top tier.
Brain? No don't use that. It's called uAir'd BLIND for a reason. Don't think. FEEEEEL.

Top Bottom