• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scorpion Master who?

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I propose that from now one, we Marios have to have a reference of Mario in some shape or form in or Smash Gamertags. Like Brown, Green, and Red/Akai Mario, and even the CAPE.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
i know with doc you can autocancel the uair to combo with it.

i'd guess mario is the same as doc but idk for sure.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
yeah that could be it lol
:p

I haven't done that with Mario Uair sffling unless intentionally doing it late...which wouldn't autoC. So haven't had the shield problem there.
Though...
I have major insecurity with autocancelling Uairs and Bairs with Falcon sometimes, but that's because the time can actually vary a bit if you fast fall doing so.
Scurry...
You can jump after SH Uairing with Mario too...I just found out a couple weeks ago LOL
*is a mario noob*
*is really just a noob lol*

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you read maelstrom's guide, you would know that the most important part about comboing with Mario is getting them offstage, since Mario has an above average edgeguard game to take advantage of.

And I'll say it again...throw -> D-smash against fastfallers is mad underused. At high percents, D-throwing into a D-smash is an excellent way to get people offstage that does more damage/knockback than B-throw, and tends to also provoke bad DI. I don't have particularly good reaction time, but generally I can nail this combo on reaction consistently regardless of my opponent's DI.

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
ya dthrow > dmash works well. so basically mario is an "edge guarder". He can somewhat combo but most of his kills prob have to do w/ gimping, right?
Yay, first post in a Mario thread!

I recently switched from Luigi to Mario since Mario is cooler. Nuff said.

Sup guys.

@CA5H - Mario, like most low-mid tier characters, really depends on you knowing your match up. Primarily, Mario is an edge guarder, he has a very good edge guard game with fireballs, sick aerials, cape, etc. So your primary objective while playing Mario is to get them off the edge. Now opponents recognize this, so they like to DI towards the stage a lot, which is how I like to start combos. For example, if I grap a spacie somewhat near the edge, the spacie will expect me to throw him off, and DI towards the stage. But I might instead up throw, then link that to u-airs, then maybe finish with a b-air or n-air, or f-smash.

Most of Mario's kills will come from edge guarding, or f-smashing with great prediction i.e. ScorpionMaster aka Mango. As much as the community might dislike Mango, his Mario is probably the best I've ever seen. He knows the match ups so well it's crazy.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
its not that I dislike mango, its just hes not the best. He can be one of the best marios though. Boss, cape, Eggz, green mario, then mango. he would be great if he had used all of marios tools to win. the more tools you use the better the combos will turn out. the marios with no fears are the ones that are going to do outstanding IMO. N0ne is the perfect example of what im talking about. If he were to actually start gimping people instead if acting fancy, he would be a lot more dangerous.

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
its not that I dislike mango, its just hes not the best. He can be one of the best marios though. Boss, cape, Eggz, green mario, then mango. he would be great if he had used all of marios tools to win. the more tools you use the better the combos will turn out. the marios with no fears are the ones that are going to do outstanding IMO. N0ne is the perfect example of what im talking about. If he were to actually start gimping people instead if acting fancy, he would be a lot more dangerous.
I disagree. Politely, of course.

I've seen every eggz vid, a few boss vids... and mango is better. All the people you talked about mained Mario legitly in 2008ish, and they were great at that time, but the metagame has evolved a lot since then. Have you seen Mango's matches against M2K, Zhu, etc? I mean, these are Top 10-15 players in the world and his prediction is incredible. The only thing he doesn't do is cape, and to be quite honest, he doesn't really need to.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
I disagree. Politely, of course.

I've seen every eggz vid, a few boss vids... and mango is better. All the people you talked about mained Mario legitly in 2008ish, and they were great at that time, but the metagame has evolved a lot since then. Have you seen Mango's matches against M2K, Zhu, etc? I mean, these are Top 10-15 players in the world and his prediction is incredible. The only thing he doesn't do is cape, and to be quite honest, he doesn't really need to.
But compare how good boss, green mario, eggz were years ago to how good mango is now. if eggz kept using mario legitly, hed obviously be waaaay better. mango just wants attention prob.

Eggz

Smash Hero
mangos mario is better than mine ever was at beating good players. he doesnt do much tight ****, but hes definitely better at winning.

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
stylistically, Eggz is my favorite, but i do agree that Scorp (Mango) is the best Mario ever. but that's because he's Mango. he has his own metagame. the caliber of players he has beaten using Mario is just amazing.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
stylistically, Eggz is my favorite, but i do agree that Scorp (Mango) is the best Mario ever. but that's because he's Mango. he has his own metagame. the caliber of players he has beaten using Mario is just amazing.
hence the hairy, ******, mario machine. He truly has his own metagame. hes just that good, its unbelievable. he could prob make pichu look good, but nobody likes pichu.

n0ne

Smash Ace
hmmmm... i DO gimp alot, its just that youre right.. condemned_soul, sometimes being fancy gets u punished. oh well its just my style.

Top Bottom