• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
SS is ridiculous at pivot fsmash. Especially on spacies who like to ledge hop dair a lot. I hope that's what you're referring to, Reneblade, because actually trying to fsmash edgeguard a spacie falling to the edge is mad punishable.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
yeah thats what im talking about juggleguy, aggressive players that ledgehop -> aerial, pivot f-smash is sooooooo good against them.

also i could tell you were nervous watching GF johnny, thats why i didn't insult you in anyway while i was giving my 2 cents. now scar however, is the most electrifying man in melee entertainment and has been for years. so nerves should never be an issue for one who is in the spotlight everytime he picks up a controller.

(<3frequentflierjoe)

Animal

Smash Lord
**** the falcon boards for not wishing me a happy bday. i ***** ppl with falcon anyways so holla.

D

Deleted member

jeapie's very good but i honestly like him a lot better when he isn't wavelanding around all the platforms for no reason in front of his opponent

edit: reminds me of ME when i thought being "fast" is the key to 'surprising and ****** ur opponent

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
jeapie's very good but i honestly like him a lot better when he isn't wavelanding around all the platforms for no reason in front of his opponent

edit: reminds me of ME when i thought being "fast" is the key to 'surprising and ****** ur opponent
How have you learned from that? What is your new philosophy?

Mizar

Smash Ace

I don't think he is using "fast" for any purpose at all. He is just fast by default.
He would probably be doing better without the entertainment, but he gets fun out of doing it, so it doesn't really bother him when he gets hit during some of the tricks. In fact, I've seen it work more often than that it got interrupted.

Anyway, Jeapie is quite the modest mouse so I'm doing some bragging for him :psycho: :lick:

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
They're all really gay for different reasons.

if you cant get out of sheiks tech-chase then shes the hardest.

if the fox is ****** your sheild and reads your rolls hes the hardest.

if you are clueless as to how to get around falco's lasers hes the hardest.

CaptainRanD0

Smash Apprentice
They're all really gay for different reasons.

if you cant get out of sheiks tech-chase then shes the hardest.

if the fox is ****** your sheild and reads your rolls hes the hardest.

if you are clueless as to how to get around falco's lasers hes the hardest.
or you can not know how to do any of that stuff and get completely *****

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Renechris take a train to Alton, IL. Bring your gamecube and your recording setup. I'll pick you up--we can play for a day or two nonstop and I'll help you improve, and we can falcon dittos for hours on hours.
I'll even help you upload videos (to your account, if you insist)
also, we can smoke weed erry day all day

D

Deleted member

I don't think he is using "fast" for any purpose at all. He is just fast by default.
He would probably be doing better without the entertainment, but he gets fun out of doing it, so it doesn't really bother him when he gets hit during some of the tricks. In fact, I've seen it work more often than that it got interrupted.

Anyway, Jeapie is quite the modest mouse so I'm doing some bragging for him :psycho: :lick:
i'm probably just bitter because my region is so fuken good against falcon that wavelanding on battlefield 6 times in a row will never work lol

he's really good though, no joke

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Hey, I play against this one Falco pretty often that likes to just doodoo on my sheild. If I get caught on a platform, he'll continue to do so and there's no option left.

aside from one.

Have you guys ever tried dropping through a platform out of sheild into an instant Uair? or a retreating DJNair or something? I try it all the time but i always eff up and spot dodge and get comboed to death.

It could also be useful if MArth is below you, utilt/uairing your sheild. You'd drop through with a Uair or a First-hit nair or something into a grab and kill him.

I dunno whether people have mentioned this before but i think it would be a good option if you can get it down.

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
Hello Falcon boards. I'm new to Captain Falcon(and mostly to melee as well lol) and I read the guide and I saw alot of combo videos(which is why I want to learn how to use him) but I have a couple of questions for you pro Falcons.

1.) How long does it take to get like really good with him?
2.) What is the most important thing to know with him(SHFFL/WD/LCancel etc.)
3.) What's the best way to improve if you have no way to play in tournaments.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
It takes awhile to progress as a competitive Falcon... I learn something new every time I attend a tourney. I think the most important thing to know is that he has very few abusable moves/strategies, which forces you to constantly adapt to how your opponent is playing against Falcon and playing against you. Make every stock count, even if you're getting combo'd, because you can still pick up on tendencies and strategies that your opponent likes to abuse and anticipate/avoid them during consequent stocks. Don't watch too many combo videos, those just put you in a super aggressive/robotic mindset that will infect your tournament playing style.

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
Hello Falcon boards. I'm new to Captain Falcon(and mostly to melee as well lol) and I read the guide and I saw alot of combo videos(which is why I want to learn how to use him) but I have a couple of questions for you pro Falcons.

1.) How long does it take to get like really good with him?
2.) What is the most important thing to know with him(SHFFL/WD/LCancel etc.)
3.) What's the best way to improve if you have no way to play in tournaments.
Each person has their own pace at which they learn their character. It really depends on how you learn, and a measure of time cannot really be given. I cant tell if the question is being asked to determine if it is worth the time, or just to get a frame of reference... its something that differs vastly from smasher to smasher

to be competent with falcon (or any character in smash) you really have to be able to do all of those. you cant simply pick one or two and hope youll never need to use the rest. with that being said, i can say that the MOST important thing is l canceling. if you dont l cancel, you will get eaten alive by better players, more-so than if you cant wavedash (at least with falcon).
learn all of the technical skills, because youll need them in order to really bring your game to the next level.

you dont need to compete in tournaments right off the bat to start getting good. if you have friends who you can play with, thats a good start. just focus on tech skill first. once you have that, you should move on to your adaptability by playing more, better people, such as in smashfests or the occasional tournament. i thought there were no tournaments around me until my friends and i really started looking on the boards, and found someone hosting tourneys near us.

hope this helps

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
It takes awhile to progress as a competitive Falcon... I learn something new every time I attend a tourney. I think the most important thing to know is that he has very few abusable moves/strategies, which forces you to constantly adapt to how your opponent is playing against Falcon and playing against you. Make every stock count, even if you're getting combo'd, because you can still pick up on tendencies and strategies that your opponent likes to abuse and anticipate/avoid them during consequent stocks. Don't watch too many combo videos, those just put you in a super aggressive/robotic mindset that will infect your tournament playing style.
Ok so watching videos is a bad thing then. So the thing about Captain Falcon is that you have to be able to think alot so he's not really an autopilot character right? If he isn't then that makes me want to use him even more. :)

Each person has their own pace at which they learn their character. It really depends on how you learn, and a measure of time cannot really be given. I cant tell if the question is being asked to determine if it is worth the time, or just to get a frame of reference... its something that differs vastly from smasher to smasher

to be competent with falcon (or any character in smash) you really have to be able to do all of those. you cant simply pick one or two and hope youll never need to use the rest. with that being said, i can say that the MOST important thing is l canceling. if you dont l cancel, you will get eaten alive by better players, more-so than if you cant wavedash (at least with falcon).
learn all of the technical skills, because youll need them in order to really bring your game to the next level.

you dont need to compete in tournaments right off the bat to start getting good. if you have friends who you can play with, thats a good start. just focus on tech skill first. once you have that, you should move on to your adaptability by playing more, better people, such as in smashfests or the occasional tournament. i thought there were no tournaments around me until my friends and i really started looking on the boards, and found someone hosting tourneys near us.

hope this helps
The thing about learning the Tech skills is that it's really hard to tell if i'm even doing it right. I mean for Wave Dashing I can pretty much do it 80% of the time(I started learning it a couple of days ago) but I can't really use it in battle because I get nervous and stuff.

For L Cancel I can't really tell if I'm doing it right and when i'm the middle of a fight I just freak out and don't even bother trying to L cancel which is a very bad habit :urg:

As for friends I have friends that play but they're all pretty bad and I can slaughter them with just the basic things that I know(I can hit them with Falcon punch so taht shows they're level) and I myself am pretty bad which is why I'm trying to improve. As for tournaments I'm sorry to get kind of off topic but is there a way to find out where tournaments are at?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Ok so watching videos is a bad thing then. So the thing about Captain Falcon is that you have to be able to think alot so he's not really an autopilot character right? If he isn't then that makes me want to use him even more. :)
Nah, watching COMBO VIDEOS is a bad thing when you're learning, matches are fine. He's far from an autopiot char.

The thing about learning the Tech skills is that it's really hard to tell if i'm even doing it right. I mean for Wave Dashing I can pretty much do it 80% of the time(I started learning it a couple of days ago) but I can't really use it in battle because I get nervous and stuff.
Everyone has to deal with this. You'll get it right. Just keep practicing.

For L Cancel I can't really tell if I'm doing it right and when i'm the middle of a fight I just freak out and don't even bother trying to L cancel which is a very bad habit :urg:
I used to have this problem so I started playing Ganon because you can tell when you're l canceling
and when you're not.
As for friends I have friends that play but they're all pretty bad and I can slaughter them with just the basic things that I know(I can hit them with Falcon punch so taht shows they're level) and I myself am pretty bad which is why I'm trying to improve. As for tournaments I'm sorry to get kind of off topic but is there a way to find out where tournaments are at?

Go to regional zones and go to your region and you'll find tournies. (unless you live in a crappy area like me, which you don't because Cali has the best scene in the world).

Anddddddd this thread needs moar pc jona.

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
combos videos are there to inspire and awe, not to be used as teaching or learning material

combo videos made me wanna play falcon too, but i soon figured out that they dont happen easily, and that i really need to get the fundamentals down before i even tried them

yeah, i agree, practice l canceling with characters who make it really obvious, like link with his dair, and ganon and bowser (with all of their moves)

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
utilizing wavedashing (among other things) in battle isnt something that will come instantly once you know it. use it gradually more and more, and eventually youll be able to do it on command, and know when to do it

kpm91

Smash Cadet
@ LordAizen, although your friends are bad at the game, you should try to teach them some basic moves and strategy as well. That way, they have a more solid understanding of the game as well as you. I do it all the time with my non-competitive friends and it is really useful; you'll begin to notice your mistakes and correct them in addition to learning about situational aspects of the game.

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
I have a quick kinda unrelated question.

What's the best way to learn how to L Cancel with Short Hop attacks. I'm pretty decent at L Cancelling full jump attacks but I can't L Cancel Short hops at all.

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
On average how long does it take to L Cancel/SHFFL because i'm having a REAL hard time with it. Sorry if it sounds like i'm whining or asking the same thing over again.

Also it took me about 5 days to learn how to WaveDash good(I still can't use it in fights though :/) so based on that are you guys able to determine how long it should take me to L cancel/SHFFL?

-WoMp-

Smash Cadet
By using the difficult Melee tech skill algorithm, I've calculated you should be shffl'ing like a pro in precisely 8 days.

Brookman

Smash Hero
On average how long does it take to L Cancel/SHFFL because i'm having a REAL hard time with it. Sorry if it sounds like i'm whining or asking the same thing over again.

Also it took me about 5 days to learn how to WaveDash good(I still can't use it in fights though :/) so based on that are you guys able to determine how long it should take me to L cancel/SHFFL?
learn HRC strategies.

best way to master L canceling in my opinion.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
dont dont worthless ****? lol all alot of falcons do is shffl nairs and bairs for their neutral game. i'm not saying its bad, its obviously not, it just sounds funny.

also, johnny, i am always amazed at how fast you go from neutral game -> ****. its pretty impressive.

Top Bottom