• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'd go to the Georgia tourney, but its $570 for a ticket and Im sort of saving for a car >_____> Hold another one and I swear I'll come guys.
Even though I ain't the Joe Blow to talk to about that I am hoping to God that we do this again.

>.>; I would like to play you, Mr. Reaper.

yeah, i'd go too if i weren't so ****ing poor. and if i didn't completely suck
You're looking at GA's worst Sheik, son. Suckiness is not an excuse to play an awesome game like Melee.

Although money is.

yay georgia ^___^

also, please tell me people aren't still arguing that brawl is more balanced than melee i might cry.
Sadly, they are.

Smooth Criminal

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
i need a personal trainer in melee, i just don't want to be so bad that i don't give people entertaining matches.

BTW @ LOL_master... dude that's actually not a bad idea. Then again, it could probably be my imagination acting up again. But if it's not, its like the single most bestest idea you've ever had, aside from lawling.

Corigames

Smash Hero
How long do I have to wait until I talk to one n00b that has any clue what melee was like competitively?

YOUR PRECONCIEVED NOTIONS ARE PROBABLY NOT TRUE. YOU DID NOT GO TO A TRUE MELEE TOURNAMENT, STOP ACTING LIKE YOU DID.

You are new. You know nothing. Stop talking, guessing, and acting like have any clue what it was like to play melee. Shut up.

xXZeroXx

Smash Cadet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Hawk
yay georgia ^___^

also, please tell me people aren't still arguing that brawl is more balanced than melee i might cry.

Sadly, they are.
It's not because you can't combo? Just that? Then I MIGHT cry because you can't live without it...

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Don't bother Ankoku, none of the posts i've seen xXZeroXx make have shown the slightest inkling of knowledge. xXZeroXx Try reading Yuna's thread on Brawl Tactical Discussion, before you stick a foot in your mouth talking about a thing you have no idea about.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
How long do I have to wait until I talk to one n00b that has any clue what melee was like competitively?

YOUR PRECONCIEVED NOTIONS ARE PROBABLY NOT TRUE. YOU DID NOT GO TO A TRUE MELEE TOURNAMENT, STOP ACTING LIKE YOU DID.

You are new. You know nothing. Stop talking, guessing, and acting like have any clue what it was like to play melee. Shut up.
technically im new ^.^

@56k, no matter what kind of community is in different parts of the world, there will always be elitists in every point, including benefit communities, etc.

also, why go back to intelligent discussion? That will only tamper with the natural order :psycho:

xXZeroXx

Smash Cadet
Don't bother Ankoku, none of the posts i've seen xXZeroXx make have shown the slightest inkling of knowledge. xXZeroXx Try reading Yuna's thread on Brawl Tactical Discussion, before you stick a foot in your mouth talking about a thing you have no idea about.
It dones't show BECAUSE you and your "Brawl<Melee, Bral sux, Melee is waaaay better" friends won't NEVER see any knowledge on someone is against your way of thinking. Idk if it was ironic, but I'll repeat that question "and you ask why people call you elitist?" You guys are always thinking you are the best (wich doesn't means I'm better)

Maybe you are the one who doesn't know a thing about what competitiviness means (wich is, in fact, the topic of this thread...)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You guys are always thinking you are the best (wich doesn't means I'm better)
I've never said I'm the best. Or even good. In fact, I'm a firm believer that there are way too many people who consider themselves good but actually aren't.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
It dones't show BECAUSE you and your "Brawl<Melee, Bral sux, Melee is waaaay better" friends won't NEVER see any knowledge on someone is against your way of thinking. Idk if it was ironic, but I'll repeat that question "and you ask why people call you elitist?" You guys are always thinking you are the best (wich doesn't means I'm better)

Maybe you are the one who doesn't know a thing about what competitiviness means (wich is, in fact, the topic of this thread...)
Maybe you should go play Melee with a competitve mindset, then form a more neutral opinon. And no, competitive Melee is not a wavedashing fest like many Brawl newcomers seem to think.

Lorona_Leo

Smash Rookie
Maybe you should go play Melee with a competitve mindset, then form a more neutral opinon. And no, competitive Melee is not a wavedashing fest like many Brawl newcomers seem to think.
Amen to that. Brawl will become more competitve in the future, remember how long it took for Melee to become competitive? These friggin people need ta stop labeling Brawl as a noob game, they need to just play the **** game and let it take it's course

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, another one eh?

Lorona_Leo said:
These friggin people need ta stop labeling Brawl as a noob game, they need to just play the **** game and let it take it's course
Hmm what is this?
Scar said:
Most people who are "anti-Brawl" play it and have fun with it.

Most people who are "anti-Brawl" and good at Melee are also good at Brawl.

No one who is "anti-Brawl" is telling you not to play the game.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm elietist because I AM better than everyone, so it fits.

New people are all the same. "Brawl is better because:
It's more fun
it's less technical
it's more n00b friendly
it allows them to finally beat people better than them
it's the "new" thing
Snake and Sonic are in... >_>
it's more balanced than melee
etc."

My argument is slowly slipping away from the competitive-ness of Brawl and more to the compitence of people to argue it.

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
blehh im probobly on the ppl scar thinks are stupid list but w.e lolz..... iono i feel like your saying we arent saying dont play it or quit and w.e but your bashing it so much that it makes people not WANT to play it because everyone hates it... we all know people follow the "cool" thing and if enough people are out there saying it sucks they start to believe it to be true... now the game is still somewhat new so nobody really knows how to defend it yet.. with melee you have all these examples and crap but look how long its been out? how much stuff has been found out... iono bottom line it feels like they are being attacked for playing a game that they enjoy and feel is competetive and fun to compete in.. so all they can really say is "stop bashing brawl" and other trivial things to that nature... thats just my oppinion flame if you want i guess lol

in my opinion I like brawl more than melee because:

you can't die by accidental air dodging at the ledge
if you like to play more than one character you can actually play anyone
it gives a equal playing ground
sheik got nerfed LOL
gives people who didn't stand a chance against better people a chance to win
more and better music

leafgreen386

Dirty camper

sheik got nerfed LOL
more and better music
If you don't mind, I'm gonna reference this post a lot. It's fine if you like brawl better, and I've got nothing against you for that or anything else. It's the fact that you're pro-brawl and have basically supported all the same claims that pro-melee players have been saying. Basically, you like it for the reasons we dislike it, and have said so.

Aesir

Smash Master

sheik got nerfed LOL
more and better music
yeah cause playing a game that requires skill to play well, it's just ya know so yesterday.

Witty Board Name

Smash Cadet
Man, everyone goes hating on the Brawl physics.

I think the increased floatiness just adds more fun to the game. No longer is one character confined to strategy A or B against Character X, Y, Z.

Plus with more characters, there are so many more options to choose someone if you don't like an indivduals play style. In example, suppose someone likes the speed of Captain Falcon, but hates his move variety. Then that person now has the option to play as Sonic, a faster, yet weaker version of the CF.

Keep in mind that I only got into competetive Melee about 4-5 months before Brawl came out, so I am a bit inexperienced on the true 'metagame' of SSB.

curiousthoughtsbear

Smash Apprentice

I think the increased floatiness just adds more fun to the game. No longer is one character confined to strategy A or B against Character X, Y, Z.

Plus with more characters, there are so many more options to choose someone if you don't like an indivduals play style. In example, suppose someone likes the speed of Captain Falcon, but hates his move variety. Then that person now has the option to play as Sonic, a faster, yet weaker version of the CF.

Keep in mind that I only got into competetive Melee about 4-5 months before Brawl came out, so I am a bit inexperienced on the true 'metagame' of SSB.

You're right.....no longer are characters confined to strategy A or B against character X,Y,Z. Rather ALL characters are confined to strategy D, as in DEFENSIVE CAMPING.

Witty rebuke PLEASE ??

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
You're right.....no longer are characters confined to strategy A or B against character X,Y,Z. Rather ALL characters are confined to strategy D, as in DEFENSIVE CAMPING.

who cares? learn it, love it, or go play melee again? o_o
just another way of playing a game you love.. sheesh so many people have forgotten that although a game is competetive it should be FUN aswell.. if the game is not fun who gives two shiets about how competetive it is.. jeez... the games supposed to unite people so they can have fun together and many people have been doing just the opposite.. hating it and bashing everything it stands for.. i suggest all the bashers take a break from the bashing and reevaluate what playing a game is all about.. sports ae competetive and although players may experience altercations throughout their matches at the end of the day what do they share? the love for the sport or game they are playing... THAT is what is important .

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon

>.> Either by 'competitive' you mean learned to wavedash/Lcancel/Shffl/etc, or you're lying, because I don't understand how someone could honestly attend a few tournaments and walk away saying people are confined to a single strategy.

Never was a character confined to a single strategy against any other character, as long as they had the advantage of the match up. It all depends on how your opponent plays!
If they like to spam aerials and have a crappy ground game, shield grab them until the cows come home!
If they like to move really fast, match their speed and take them down, or do what you can to slow them down. If the rely on stage spikes/waveshines, learn to spot dodge or tech off the stage.

Also, Sonic being a weaker but faster version of CF? Are you serious? Not only are like, ALL OF THEIR MOVES DIFFERENT, but we have one character who can just dash in and out of battle at will, and even string together a few 2 or 3 hit "combos", or we have CFalcon who is lucky to make 2 consecutive hits against an opponent with half a brain.

Whether you like it or not, good Brawl players have 3 Play styles. Camp, Spam, or both.
If the character can't projectile spam or camp, you shield camp, and spam the moves with the longest range, most damage, or most likely to KO. If you can chaingrab, do it all day long.

Brawl is very VERY limiting in its metagame right now, and it does not look like it is letting up any time soon.

just another way of playing a game you love.. sheesh so many people have forgotten that although a game is competetive it should be FUN aswell.. if the game is not fun who gives two shiets about how competetive it is.. jeez... the games supposed to unite people so they can have fun together and many people have been doing just the opposite.. hating it and bashing everything it stands for.. i suggest all the bashers take a break from the bashing and reevaluate what playing a game is all about.. sports ae competetive and although players may experience altercations throughout their matches at the end of the day what do they share? the love for the sport or game they are playing... THAT is what is important .
Competitive implies that we pay our precious gas monies or entrance fees to play the game with our friends in order to see where we stand amongst our peers. To do that, we play to win, not to "have fun and lose." In Brawl, playing to win means sitting there like an idiot, power shielding every projectile that flies your way as you walk up to your opponent as snake and get ready to FTilt them to death.

In melee, it just happened to work out that playing competitively was not only an active test of skill, but also a blast.
Not that I expect you to understand that.
-DD

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice

Brawl is very VERY limiting in its metagame right now, and it does not look like it is letting up any time soon.

Competitive implies that we pay our precious gas monies or entrance fees to play the game with out friends in order to see where we stand amongst our peers. To do that, we play to win, not to "have fun and lose." In Brawl, playing to win means sitting there like an idiot, power shielding every projectile that flies your way as you walk up to your opponent as snake and get ready to FTilt them to death.

In melee, it just happened to work out that playing competitively was not only an active test of skill, but also a blast.
Not that I expect you to understand that.
-DD
agreed with everything you said above besides the part quoted.... took melee a good 7 years to stand where it is at and i feel your trying to describe something that is more complicated than what your saying into simple and what seems like trivial terms... its like telling someone that a sport is easy lets say... (WAY OFF TOPIC BUT) american football im not a fan of it but people who dont like it tend to say all there is to it is catching and running on offense and just run into the guy on defense.. or soccer when people say all there is to do is kick a ball and run... when you simplify something like that of course it sounds as if it is nothing... but the fact of the matter is the game/sport is not that simple there is more to it than you've presented. -__-

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
THIS IS STILL GOING ON?!??!?!?!? I'm pretty sure it's easy to see all we CAN do now is beleive what we want to beleive , agree with the ones who beleive the same, and go on with our sweet lives. Considering the age of this thread, it is obvious your not gonna change the other guys mind, no matter what you say,, he'll come back, whether it's intelligent or stupid.Now, why doesn't scar give me his opinion on that now?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
agreed with everything you said above besides the part quoted.... took melee a good 7 years to stand where it is at and i feel your trying to describe something that is more complicated than what your saying into simple and what seems like trivial terms... its like telling someone that a sport is easy lets say... (WAY OFF TOPIC BUT) american football im not a fan of it but people who dont like it tend to say all there is to it is catching and running on offense and just run into the guy on defense.. or soccer when people say all there is to do is kick a ball and run... when you simplify something like that of course it sounds as if it is nothing... but the fact of the matter is the game/sport is not that simple there is more to it than you've presented. -__-
Clearly it isn't as easy as I've said it.
But it takes, maybe an HOUR tops, to get yourself actively perfect shielding any projectile. All you need is the timing and patience.
Brawl is really just a waiting game. Waiting games are just not exciting.
As for the "Melee took 7 years."
>.> Melee after 4 months was 2x faster than Brawl has ever been so far.
That was with so little competitive players trying to break into every little aspect, too.
-DD

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
Clearly it isn't as easy as I've said it.
But it takes, maybe an HOUR tops, to get yourself actively perfect shielding any projectile. All you need is the timing and patience.
Brawl is really just a waiting game. Waiting games are just not exciting.
As for the "Melee took 7 years."
>.> Melee after 4 months was 2x faster than Brawl has ever been so far.
That was with so little competitive players trying to break into every little aspect, too.
-DD
agreed that it may be a more of a patient type game but you can also see the differences in sports too.. i guess thats just the way it goes ah? some people like it some people don't. i play soccer and ive had many people tell me the reason they dont like soccer is due to the end result. they would rather score 100 points in a game of basketball rather than score 1-4 points (avrg) in soccer. for me its not about the points but the fun you have while competing against other players who love the game aswell. this always seems to happen with sequals people compare to what they loved in the past and they dislike the outcome. i.e. many movies tend to turn out this way. basically i guess im trying to say if you like brawl continue with it if not you have 2 choices "suck it up" and continue to play or.. go back to melee its not that hard of a decision and i dont mean any offence by this but its how things in life go.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Hey! Someone has a brain! Yes, the point of gaming is to have fun. Many people do not have nearly as much fun playing brawl as they do melee, and this is because of all of brawl's blatant downfalls and its shallowness. The reason we care about this topic, and even argue at all, is because currently, brawl is dominating the tournament scene due to the huge influx of new players, and we're genuinely worried that brawl will overtake melee and then die out, killing smash altogether. We're vocal about this because we want melee to survive, and to continue having tournies. We're vocal about this because we need to bring attention to melee in order for it to survive, for it to be represented at tournaments alongside brawl. If the community all goes with brawl, and it dies, we will no longer have a community, and that's the plain fact.

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
Hey! Someone has a brain! Yes, the point of gaming is to have fun. Many people do not have nearly as much fun playing brawl as they do melee, and this is because of all of brawl's blatant downfalls and its shallowness. The reason we care about this topic, and even argue at all, is because currently, brawl is dominating the tournament scene due to the huge influx of new players, and we're genuinely worried that brawl will overtake melee and then die out, killing smash altogether. We're vocal about this because we want melee to survive, and to continue having tournies. We're vocal about this because we need to bring attention to melee in order for it to survive, for it to be represented at tournaments alongside brawl. If the community all goes with brawl, and it dies, we will no longer have a community, and that's the plain fact.

that is a very understandable point you've just made. i agree you need to bring more attention towards melee in order for it to survive due to all the new comers BUT i feel as if there must be another way of going about this.. i enjoy both games and i dont think what they call "bashing" brawl is the way to do it.. im not sure as to how it can be done but im sure there is a way? i too am worried that brawl may turn out to be one of those games that once your finished you never play again and might even return to gamestop as a used game. there must be a way to keep the smash ALIVE! (<~ corny LOL) we need to get creative.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>.> We are getting creative, and taking the initiative to make that physics mod for Brawl to increase its speed and ability to be played competitively and fun at the same time.
-DD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom