• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Even though it's an abnormal day, and I'm an in abnormal state of mind, I went to work as normal and am continuing development as normal. This would be what Mr. Iwata would have wanted, after all. I will do what I must."

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
To be honest, I don't know who Mr.Iwata was back then, but knowing that he was an important part of Nintendo and making people happy throughout the years is what made me need to know him. We will never forget you Mr.Iwata. You will always be remembered by Me, Nintendo, and best of all, your fans & everybody who loves you.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes:

Guys, let me say right now, that my post is in NO WAY a joke. I....can't.....even....even...:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:
Oh, my god.......I don't.......I'm sorry...Excuse me....

If not for this man.....I would not be in my home.....playing the two video games series I adore.....Super Smash Bros.....and...Kirby.......Mr. Iwata.....thank you......:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:

Soul.

The moment I heard about his passing, I was about to cry, just like everyone. We lost a legend, a good president, and a kind person. Even if he's made some dubious decisions on Nintendo's headquarters, he has had the experience to do them.

His legacy will not be forgotten. I'll keep on paying respects, because losing a person like this means everything even if I didn't met him, or talked to him. The tremendous amount of work he has made to make Nintendo what it is today.... is something I'll always thank him for.
May you rest easy, Mr. Iwata. Thank you for everything.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
It's so surreal to think Iwata won't be presenting "directly" to us anymore. Nintendo wouldn't be the company it is today without his leadership. It's sad to see a leader go so suddently, but he's free now. Let's never forget his legacy.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Rest.In.Peace. That makes two very needed individuals become incapacitated. I'm curious now as to what Nintendo shall commend now.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I didn't know the full extent of his impact on Nintendo and gaming, and I still don't completely, but this is sad. I knew of this guy prior to Sakurai or Miyamoto or Reggie. It was cool seeing his face in the Directs and watching and hearing him talk about Nintendo. I will miss him a lot. And I will miss his Iwata Asks, which were always great. 55 is too young. I really hope, that if there is an afterlife, that he is in a good one.

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
This is so tragic : ( I will miss him in the directs…RIP Iwata you will be missed by many.

Robopuppyz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZacharyCA
3DS FC
3566-1663-4299
You have made some beautiful games, and was one of the biggest represenitives of nintendo.

I hope you rest in peace.

B Link

Smash Lord
Echoing what others have said, I do not know the precise extent to which he has directly affected my Nintendo-related memories.

However, after reading some of his resume, and acknowledging that he essentially spearheaded Nintendo since 2002, it is clear that at the very least, I owe him due respect.

RIP.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Thank you Iwata...for making this possible.

*Go to 12:52

https://youtu.be/RaTpiP7CJKM?t=12m52s

And not only just smash, but for the countless other games that not only has influenced me in a big way, but also many, many others. I understand Iwata. I really do.

Last edited:

sRocky

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thetoontoon55
3DS FC
3265-5186-8696
When I first saw the news on smashboards my heart stopped. Then I thought it was a joke (must have been a sudden coping mechanism) and then I checked the site where I get Nintendo news. Sure enough it was true. Rest In Peace Iwata. You will be missed.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Phil Spencer:

Last edited:

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
Wow. The Wii U may be my first Nintendo home console, but I grew up with their handhhelds, and all of mine - GBA SP, DS & DSi, and 3DS were created under this man's supervision. This is the man who convinced Sakurai to transform Dragon Fighter into the series we all know and love. As others have said 55 was far too young, and it is a true shame we will never know what else he may have made in the future. Nintendo directs will never be the same again.

Rest in Peace Iwata-san

Kollin

Smash Rookie
Looking back, most of the games I have played in my life would have been overseen by Iwata and his fellow staff. It is because of Nintendo, its staff, and their partners that I have been introduced to the realm of videogames. More over, because of the fans of their games I began to develop an identity in videogames as well; and now, I want to use some of their games as a form of expression and outreach to others.
Nintendo has truly become something special to me and I feel quite grateful that I am able to share some of the games Mr. Iwata has worked on or helped with with my friends and family.
God bless you Mr. Satoru Iwata, and may He be with your family, friends and colleagues at this time. But let us also take this time to not only mourn your passing, but to celebrate your accomplishments and time on this Earth.
Best prayers, wishes and regards,

Chris (Gero Zeal) Williams
Not the right time or place, I know, but I just found it interesting that I'd find another Chris Williams here of all places... Both are super common names I guess. :p

Kollin

Smash Rookie
Also, wondering, who's going to take his place? It's a tough mantle to take up, though...
Itoi is an interesting idea, he seems to have the right kind of personality though he didn't do all the insane coding and stuff Iwata did.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
We sure the yakuza weren't hired to get him? He said he'd never resign, and Nintendo's boardmembers weren't too pleased with his performance....

SuperMario1

Smash Lord
Mr. Iwata thank you for everything that have done for all of us Nintendo fans I hope you R.I.P and you will always be a legend to us all no one will forget what you have done for us and for Nintendo. You will be truly missed.

Last edited:

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
I figured this Credits soundtrack from Game & Watch Gallery 3 would be fitting for this tragic moment...

Last edited:

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
We sure the yakuza weren't hired to get him? He said he'd never resign, and Nintendo's boardmembers weren't too pleased with his performance....
Dude, that's not cool....

My friends and I were saddened to learn this news tonight. I don't care what those trolls say, Iwata was a good man who really helped Nintendo out all these years. Many of the games that I enjoy on my systems today are thanks to Iwata himself. One of my all time favorite series in addition to the F-Zero franchise has been the Super Smash Bros. franchise, and had it not been for Iwata, we would have never had the series we know and love today. I never knew Iwata personally, but I honestly felt like crying, the fact that he was 55 years old when he passed (several years younger than my own parents), is sad, very sad. I send my condolences to Iwata's friends and family, and I hope now he is in a better place. RIP, Satoru Iwata. *cries* - Afro

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
I don't feel like I got to express myself enough in the thread so:
I really love this man. He was really kind, a great game developer, and he had a great heart. I'm going to miss him dearly. This news hit me so hard as the day went on and I just wish his life didn't end so soon. He was too young.

Rest in peace Iwata, I hope you're content with your accomplishments. Many will miss you.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Well, that was unexpected. I knew he had some health issues that made him unable to host Nintendo Directs during a certain amount of time, but I didn't know it was as severe as a cancer. 55 year old is young to die, that's sad. His "please take a look" will be missed. R.I.P. Iwata.

Now I wonder who will host non-specific Nintendo Directs... unless they take a long break like last year?

Last edited:

Lustful_Kaiser

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kaiserine
3DS FC
3282-3064-4273
Rest in peace Satoru Iwata, Hero of Gaming, thank you for giving everyone as gamers one of the best memories... thank you...

"happiness is only real when shared"
Christopher McCandless

Top Bottom