• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
No No NO NO NO NOOOO.... :'(

This is a sad day for us all. You will be missed, dearly, Iwata-San. Good luck in your second game of life. Gamers never die, we just start over. :')

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
If it wasn't for Mr. Iwata, we most likely wouldn't be playing these awesome Smash Bros. games now. He truly was an amazing president, developer, and gamer with such imagination and creativity.

PK Rekt

Smash Cadet
NNID
PK-Rekt
3DS FC
2380-4961-2243
Switch FC
SW-5532-6790-3614
Rest in peace Iwata, thank you for being a HUGE part of my life and you will be missed. ;-;

_gold_

Smash Master
An honorable man. I'm grateful for him.
RIP Mr. Iwata.

Last edited:

bdeink

Smash Rookie
NNID
bdeink
3DS FC
3179-6082-2990
Brb, I'll go write him a tribute in the miiverse stage. 55 is far too young of an age for anyone to die. Rest in peace, Iwata <3

HyruleSmasher

Smash Cadet
Only time can tell his achievement and his journey... but only us can thank him for the thing that he has given us all and that a memories good and the bad because it is those little things that defines us, it is those little things that makes us stand out from the crowd. i really would like to say to u Satoru Iwata that there will always be a spot for you in my heart. because you created and touched games that made my childhood fun thank you. :(

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'm in disbelief, like many others here... Only 55 too; this is saddening.

R.I.P. Mr. Iwata, thank you for your creativity over the years.

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
Rest in peace, Iwata. You brought many people into the world of gaming with the Wii and DS... I hope your family does well. May Nintendo prosper!

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I just found out now, and it will be hard making it through my workday now. I'll need more time to process this.

No way.......

Edit:
A pic that I post at the later page:
I think I may take this. I hope you don't mind.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I just found out now, and it will be hard making it through my workday now. I'll need more time to process this.

I think I may take this. I hope you don't mind.
I didn't made that pic... just use it only for personal use...

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Oh my, the new Iwata pictures at the top of the page really wrenched my Heart.

Now I want a little icon of him similar to:yeahboi::secretkpop::dazwa::gova:

PLEASE, he needs to be remembered forever!:ness:

Last edited:

WarpingStar

Smash Rookie
It's incredible how you can feel so sad for the loss of someone you never met, Iwata was an amazing person and played a big part in some of my favourite games such as Earthbound, Kirby and of course, Smash Bros. On that day, rivalities were set aside, with even Playstation and Phil Spencer giving their regards and recognizing this as a huge loss in the gaming industry. Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata, we will now understandu.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don't know if this is fitting.....but I feel as if I HAVE to post this in memory of Iwata-san.....

Last edited:

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
It's natural to feel sad, but would Iwata want those who cared about him to be sad? I don't think so. I think if anything, he'd want us to celebrate his life. Alas, the loss comes as a shock, and naturally, we are saddened by this. But I won't let the sadness get the best of me. I'll do what he would likely have wanted us to do and celebrate his life. Because of that, I'm committing myself to playing some of the Iwata produced and designed games, like Mario Kart Double Dash, Wario World, Super Mario Galaxy and Kirby's Adventure.

I'm sure his family has no idea of the existence of this board, but if by chance someone related to him does stumble upon this post... I just want to thank you, Satoru for everything you did. You helped shape a generation of children through your creativity and imagination, myself included. There will be others in the future, but none will come close to what you and Mr. Miyamoto have done for me.

Rest in paradise, Satoru.

XO-CHTL

Smash Rookie
NNID
BELZ_00
R.I.P Mr.Iwata

I wanted to meet him in day :’( gone but not forgotten
U will surely be missed

D

Deleted member

I'm still in shock about this.

This man has done so much for Nintendo and for us.
He helped develop EarthBound, helped Sakurai create the idea of Super Smash Bros., debugged Melee so that it could be released during the holiday season, compressed Gold and Silver so that Kanto could be added, and so much more.
During his time as President, he helped Nintendo gain a ton of profit from the DS and Wii. Many of our favorite games wouldn't exist without this man.
I'm sad that he left this world with harsh criticisms regarding the Wii U's failure and the E3 bomb.

I never knew him personally, but it's like seeing a friend go. I am a lifelong Nintendo fan, starting with the Nintendo 64. So, seeing the President of a company that helped shape not only my hobbies, but a major part of my life, made me incredibly sad.

It won't be the same. We won't see him during Nintendo Directs and giving us news "Directly" to us. We won't see his name during the credits of Nintendo games.

Iwata may be gone, but he left behind a tremendous legacy, one that we should never forget. This simply isn't a loss for Nintendo, but for everyone as gamers; Sony, Microsoft, and PC players should feel the same grief for losing a beloved industry veteran.

Rest in peace, Iwata. My thoughts go out to your friends and family and everyone at Nintendo. You were truly a great person.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm still in shock about this.

This man has done so much for Nintendo and for us.
He helped develop EarthBound, helped Sakurai create the idea of Super Smash Bros., debugged Melee so that it could be released during the holiday season, compressed Gold and Silver so that Kanto could be added, and so much more.
During his time as President, he helped Nintendo gain a ton of profit from the DS and Wii. Many of our favorite games wouldn't exist without this man.
I'm sad that he left this world with harsh criticisms regarding the Wii U's failure and the E3 bomb.

I never knew him personally, but it's like seeing a friend go. I am a lifelong Nintendo fan, starting with the Nintendo 64. So, seeing the President of a company that helped shape not only my hobbies, but a major part of my life, made me incredibly sad.

It won't be the same. We won't see him during Nintendo Directs and giving us news "Directly" to us. We won't see his name during the credits of Nintendo games.

Iwata may be gone, but he left behind a tremendous legacy, one that we should never forget. This simply isn't a loss for Nintendo, but for everyone as gamers; Sony, Microsoft, and PC players should feel the same grief for losing a beloved industry veteran.

Rest in peace, Iwata. My thoughts go out to your friends and family and everyone at Nintendo. You were truly a great person.

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
Rest In Peace Satoru Iwata, you've been with us for longer than many may have noticed but now that you're gone things definitely won't feel the same. and it's sad to say but now there won't be anyone to please understand :(

Juken

Smash Ace
I always saw Iwata in things like Nintendo directs and e-mails, but never thought much about him. Realizing that he had an influence some games that I've found interesting, and even was the key to Melee's completion in time for release, along with hearing this Smiles and Tears song all over has me feeling fuzzy inside; seeing his face now just makes me sad as well. It's even more surreal if you think about things like Sakurai giving Earthbound so much in Smash 4 as a way to make Iwata happy, or that his last words to the Nintendo community was an apology for E3 being mediocre...

Anyway, RIP Iwata. I had never finished the Earthbound games, but I had always loved the music, and may go through Mother 3 just for your sake. You were a brilliant developer, and a president who brought many smiles to Nintendo and its fan base.

Last edited:

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
Rest in peace, Iwata. He was such a great man. Nintendo directs will never be the same without him. :( <3

Kulty

Smash Ace
Sniff... OMG! One of the greatest man I ever know since I started to play Nintendo games. Satoru Iwata, arigato for showing these games to all of us fans and the Nintendo Directs. We're definitely happy for what you've all done to us. Without you, modern Nintendo won't be the same (I really have a bad feeling about this now)! You worked so hard to make us happy. You may rest in peace. R.I.P. NOOOOOOOO! WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? Every game will be affected, including Smash. UUUGGGHHHH!

Satoru Iwata (1959 - 2015)

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
It's natural to feel sad, but would Iwata want those who cared about him to be sad? I don't think so. I think if anything, he'd want us to celebrate his life. Alas, the loss comes as a shock, and naturally, we are saddened by this. But I won't let the sadness get the best of me. I'll do what he would likely have wanted us to do and celebrate his life. Because of that, I'm committing myself to playing some of the Iwata produced and designed games, like Mario Kart Double Dash, Wario World, Super Mario Galaxy and Kirby's Adventure.

I'm sure his family has no idea of the existence of this board, but if by chance someone related to him does stumble upon this post... I just want to thank you, Satoru for everything you did. You helped shape a generation of children through your creativity and imagination, myself included. There will be others in the future, but none will come close to what you and Mr. Miyamoto have done for me.

Rest in paradise, Satoru.
I agree with this mentality, and I've commented such a thing on a youtube video somewhere (I forgot). I think celebrating his life and his contributions to some of our favourite video games would be in a much more suitable spirit to Iwata's goals during his life: to enjoy playing great games. I don't know exactly which games he worked on, but I know some, and I know that the list includes some of my old and/or all-time favourites.

That said, I think it's also fair that people want a bit of time to mourn for his death, speak out condolences and words of gratitude or create and share tributes to this wonderful man should they feel the need to. But in the end, we all get back and can all agree on one thing, not a single exception: we love games, we want games and we want to play them. There's no greater accomplishment for someone like Iwata to make people feel this way, and he did it. And in that sense, I feel there's no better way to show our respects than to keep playing.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Update: His funeral will be held on the 17th and shall be led by his wife and Nintendo. Source
I read that as that his wife was also Nintendo. =_=
If you don't see what I mean, make "wife and Nintendo" an appositive:
"His funeral will be held on the 17th and shall be led by his wife and Nintendo, ________."
Putting "Nintendo" first would fix that problem, but it would seem weird to not put his wife first...

Anyway. Thank you Mr. Iwata. Thank you for making Smash possible.

Last edited:

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
This is such a tragic loss to Nintendo, and the gaming industry as a whole.

Cheers to Mr. Satoru Iwata, late president of Nintendo!
A legendary man with a legendary career!
Crafter of many of our childhood memories!
Generous and selfless!
Dedicated worker!
Masterful game developer!
And in his heart and to all of us, a true gamer!
Cheers!

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
R.I.P. Iwata, he was such a great man. He died so early. Thanks for playing, Iwata! :')

Top Bottom