• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

greymanz

Smash Rookie
In order to remember this great man, lets list the numerous achievements Mr. Iwata has done for Nintendo and its games...

• When Pokemon Gold was being released, originally it was going to be Johto exclusively. Iwata wasn't pleased at this and worked on his own to halve the games size and cram Kanto in as well. Keep in mind, the game was compressed into 2MB of storage. 2 Megabytes.
  • When Melee was being produced, there was worry of it not being made on time. Iwata worked hard for weeks, pushing bug fixes, reviewing code, and making sure the game made it on time.
  • Iwata reverse engineered the pokemon battle system to work in Pokemon Stadium. Keep in mind that the code was taken from the original gameboy games, then refitted to work with the 3d modules of the N64.
  • When the Wii U's sales were at an all time low (pre MK8) he cut his salary IN HALF to push the company to continue making great games.
  • His last words to us were an apology for the mediocre E3 presentation this year. He died with the thought of billions of fans wishing he worked harder. We know now Iwata, we know.
He was a once living legend.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
You spent your life creating smiles all around the world, and now that you are taking your leave, we will see you off with another smile - but it won't be the last. The fights fought, the adventures had, and the friendships built through the games you gave us, will continue to cause smiles for the rest of time!

Thank you, Mr. Iwata! ;__;

D

Deleted member

I think the tribute at the top of Smashboards is really nice. I hope it stays up for at least a week. I would be fine if it stayed up longer, or forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
Another legend's time to come to the grave has finally come. Everyone comes and goes in this world. Sadly it was his. But don't cry for the loss. We shouldn't be gloom when the one we love and are inspired to passes on into the unknown, we should be looking up for the future for what they laid for the newcomers of the business and the new young people to the world of Nintendo.

When there is a grey sky above you, never act like the colors. Be bright and glowing as the sun beyond those skies. Look beyond what's in front of you and look forward to the brightness that lies beyond it.

RIP Mr. Iwata

Moux

Smash Rookie
All of the feels, with many legends of many industries passing these last few years.

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
Though I know that he forged people's childhoods,while the first Nintendo game I played and first game in general,I know that he was influencial and inspiring,I have 4 words to say:

Thank You,Mr.Iwata

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Rest in peace Iwata..... You will be forever missed and forever remembered.
I'm really good when it comes to not crying....but I'm going to admit I cried.

Last edited:

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Satoru Iwata, one of the leading people in Nintendo's gaming industry, gone like that because of bile duct cancer. His contribution to gaming history as a whole is something I will never forget, even if it's just the games he created with HAL and Nintendo or even just the Nintendo Directs he hosted.

This great man will live on in the heart of all Nintendo players, I'm certain. I also pray that Kayoko(his wife, as stated in the source) will find peace to continue on.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
I just now seen this and had no idea it happened. I am both sad and unhappy. A legend you were in all of our eyes and a brilliant visionary. You will never be forgotten, Mr. Iwata We will remember you till the end of time.

oorr23

Smash Cadet
Nintendo should release a special Iwata Mii for Wii/Wii U in his memory. Play him in Smash, because it represents what he built, what he maintained. "Please Understand" -Iwata 2015 R.I.P.

Vishudda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vishudda
3DS FC
5300-9107-9201
Oh no, this is so sad. I don't really know what to say...other than this very intelligent and kind man will be so greatly missed be so many people...thank you for all your hard work and many accomplishments...
Rest in peace Satoru Iwata. :'(

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Rest in peace Mr. Iwota. I think these comments have already proven your worth in gaming :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The emotional outpouring over Iwata's passing has been pretty outstanding and a lot of people are genuinely upset about the news. If people are like this now, the gaming industry is going to be on the floor and downright inconsolable when its Miyamoto's time. I think everyone should take a few moments to go through the article below to really take a look at the impact he had on the modern game industry and just how widely respected he was.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/238332-a-look-at-various-reactions-to-satoru-iwata-s-passing

Kesno

Smash Cadet
I was playing Anther's Ladder when I heard the new. This was my reaction. I couldn't really believe what I was seeing. All of the chats of every smash game blow up with with the news and this is all they talked about for the rest of the day. He may have been most notable in the process of one or two of the games, but the entire community feels the pain of his family and the hurt of losing one of the most important people in making the game that changed all of our lives. This man did great things and I truly feel of the members of Nintendo and his family.

OsirisOda

Dark Cloud
Try not to think of it as Iwata passing, but rather, transcending to a plane greater than the one we exist in.

His legendary works and kindness to those that loved and respected him will never be forgotten, and I am sure we were all in his memory as he left us.

He has moved on to a much bigger project now. He leaves behind his family, his friends, and his fans, but we will all be rooting for him as his spirit travels to the great beyond, to spread his great mind and games to the afterlife.

Rest in peace, Satoru Iwata. We all thank you for everything you have done for us, from the bottom of our hearts.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
He's changed many lives and will be missed dearly, may you rest in Piece, Sir.

Top Bottom