• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion

Satoru Iwata has been a pivotal face for Nintendo throughout my entire life gaming as a passionate Nintendo fan. I feel so bad that my dread is being choked back inside me. For I only feel the throes of tears waiting to spill from my ducts. Yet my numbness restricts me yet again. To not send this brilliant man off with my tears. Just, godsdamnit. I have to try.

Without him, we would have never seen so many of Nintendo's greatest successes: the DS, the Wii, Nintendo's recent push to reperate their mistakes and expand the lovely touch of their IPs into more media. He espoused the vision of his company with gusto, by maintaining the staple of fun from the Nintendo brand and bringing us plenty of technological innovations along the way.

Let us not forget how he never strayed from his roots as a game designer either. Unlike most CEOs, he understood the passion, exertion, and concerns game designers and producers willingly subject themselves to so they can make us smile. I remember when Nintendo was going through financial losses years back, he made a statement on how he didn't want to lay off more employees or cut operating costs, stating that it would lower the morale of the people working under him.

He also understood what games were always meant to be: fun for everyone. His spirit was always very down to earth through Nintendo Directs, the memes he's cultivated, and the rest of his goofball antics.

Surely, you left Nintendo in a promising new place when you made your sudden departure, Iwata-san. I'm sure with all the hearts you've touched, you're now in a great place. Surely, your successor will be inspired to uphold your legacy and carry us on to the bright future you kicked us off on. May you leave luck to heaven. ♥

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I didn't believe it my sister told me she found out in twitter the man that helped make smash is gone. Rest in peace satoru iwata

SomeLawesomeGuyDa2nd

Smash Rookie
Oh god.
I can't even believe it.

I don't even... I'll just post this tune here
Here's a tune from a game that Iwata helped on
A game that was finished and released because of him

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly still sitting here wishing this is a bad dream or someone's idea of a sick joke... I know it isn't though.

I can't believe you were taken from us so suddenly, Iwata-san. Your work brought joy and fun to millions around the world, and without a doubt you've made it a much brighter place.

Thank you for all you've done... We'll never forget you...

T1MMY

Smash Apprentice
Mr. Iwata, I lament to say that you have left this world far too soon.

You stepped up to fill the shoes of the great Yamauchi. You took us into the world of the Wii. You connected with us directly and became loved the world over.

May you rest in peace.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
If anyone wants to know... the last game he worked on was Fire Emblem: Fates. I'll be holding that game close to my heart...

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
R.I.P Iwata. Thank you for everything you've done.

Ind15

Smash Rookie
I bet if he filmed a message for us at his deathbed, it would go something along the lines of "I am terminally ill and about to die. As a result, I will no longer be able to work as the president of Nintendo. But don't worry! Your favorite Nintendo games will still be produced! Please Understand." That's just the type of guy he was. Always put the fans first.

RIP Satoru Iwata
1959-2015
We will always understand

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
My thoughts go out to his family and friends. I will always remember your Nintendo Direct videos with your "Please take a look".

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Rest in peace, Iwata. You were a very charismatic fellow. I hope you are in a far better place now.

Enemy Birds

Smash Cadet
Man, this is such a shock. . . . I actually double-checked the calendar just to be sure it wasn't April Fools Day. No such luck. . . .
Thank your for all of your hard work, and may you rest in peace.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
R.I.P.. Condolences to his family. This is a very saddening time. :'(

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Hey that's a cool saying where did you hear that? Man I hate that this happend I'm still kinda new to the Nintendo scene but I miss him already!!
Ha, it's a verse I conjured up for a short sketch I wrote.

Now that I've managed to get over the initial shock and formulate my thoughts, here's the eulogy I have written to inform others of this great man's tragic passing:

Please understand: a good man just died.

Satoru Iwata, President and CEO of Nintendo, died at the age of 55 due to cancer in his bile duct. Iwata was a colourful and inspirational figure, a man for whom overseeing his company was more than just a matter of business and finance: it was something to be cherished and filled with excitement and adventure.

Iwata is part of the reason why Nintendo games are so universally beloved and why so many of us have fond memories of our favourite childhood games. He helped his company make it through difficult times, economically and socially, and become one of the greatest video game develops in history. Iwata himself was also a programming genius, a bona fider gamer, a man of integrity and a passionate disciple of the arts. His influence cannot be overstated, and if Nintendo as a company has succeeded, it is only because they stood on the shoulders of this tiny giant.

The world has been bereft of one of its greatest entrepreneurial leaders and creative visionaries. Iwata will be missed by millions of passionate fans in every corner of the world, fans for whom Nintendo is more than just a series of binary code and clicking buttons: it's a chance to dream, and an invitation to a great adventure.

Rest in peace, Satoru Iwata-sensei.

Our prayers go directly to you.

IxaVerse

Smash Rookie
He was the most relate video game CEO as he was just like us. He was simply just a gamer like you and me. RIP Iwata.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Rest In Peace Mr. Iwata, thank you for helping give us some of the best nintendo games ever made.

Nster

Smash Rookie
You will be missed Iwata... Damn I grew up on Nintendo, and now the company I love so much' president is gone... WHY???!!! :'-(

Last edited:

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Wow, this just hit me like a final smash... He will be greatly missed, such an inspiring and innovator person joins Steve Jobs :(

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
"If all we were to ever do is just continue to make sequels and not do anything new or different, people would view us as a very conservative company and a company that is unwilling to really take new initiatives and embark on new adventures. That's not the type of person I am and not the kind of company I want Nintendo to be." - Satoru Iwata

It may seem like the late president of Nintendo was being direct to his company alone, but his words can echo in anyone who is too afraid to be daring and adventurous. This is one of the many things I learned from Mr. Iwata, and I'm glad to have had the pleasure to know him so well. May his soul rest in peace, but let his spirit and passion to make people smile and be surprised continue to live on.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Christopher Lee, Leonard Nimoy, Satoru Iwata, and Chikao Ohtsuka are all gone. We've lost 3 amazing actors and 4 influential figures of media. Be they films, animations, or games, they were there to shape them.

It might be last time you'll see them act, the last time you'll hear them, or the last game you'll play with them in it, but they'll be there forever. They'll be in memories, they'll leave legacies, and they were there to help create films, cartoons, TV series, anime, games, opera, theater, and more. They'll always be there with us.
Also Monty Oum, James Horner, John Nash and B.B. King.

2015 will be remembered as one of the hardest years to swallow for many.

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
Omg, I didn't know I cared about him so much :c:sadeyes::sadeyes:.

R.I.P Mr. Iwata, you'll be missed

The_Most_Effectual

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EarthBoundNerdC
There really are no words. This simply should not have happened.

You were a wonderful person and you will be immeasurably missed. Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata.

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
I immediately bought Earthbound on the Wii U eShop. You may have gone, but your ambition lives forever. Beautiful memories of games and many individuals' drives to create their own mediums of art only exist today thanks to people like yourself. Thanks for everything.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
Any person who cuts their own salary instead of laying off employees when their company is in a financial crisis is a saint. Rest well, Mr. Iwata! Every fan of Nintendo loves you dearly!

Cursetyl

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cursetyl
Thank you Iwata, for everything you've done for the industry, and for us.

Top Bottom