• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

LHG

Smash Journeyman
STOKED AND STROKED AND SOAKED.

I'd be down like a clown Charlie Brown. Only thing bothering me is the extra 5 (I'LL GET OVER IT) right now and how a lot of people said they can't make it on the 21st. Hopefully you can ALL CHANGE YOUR SCHEDULES AND HEAD OVER TO MUDDLAND.

Props to Rickety and Patrick for this one, and Zephyr for finding the place.

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
So are you going to decide whether it will be held on Saturday or Sunday depending on everyone's responses?

MchZ

Smash Rookie
Mudd Club - Viet

Hi guy this is Viet from Mudd Club, im one of the employee there and im in charge of tourneys and games. So yeah i talk to patrick and rick about tourneys and i really want you guys to have a good place to play for all game players, so the more that show up this weekend the better things look for you guys. Sat or Sunday is fine just have them let me know so i can tell me boss. Any questions or ideas just PM me and il help out and find as much of a compromise as i can thankx for the support and i hope everything runs smoothly

ASP

Smash Apprentice
Wow, things are lookin up for thing triweeklies again! SD has the best smash scene! :3

I'm sure me and doodles will be able to make it. Probably vietgamer too, and maybe LBK and our other brother, Kyle.

$BONE$

Smash Ace
im proud of you guys! i can make it only saturday though. i work on sundays unfortunately.

harmony love to rickety & patrick *edit*&zephyr. good job on following up.

QUESTION. Whos comming to 619 tommarrow? call me. please.

TheBOSS

Smash Lord
me, maple, and deth are free for both saturday and sunday. more saturday though. count my post for 3 people then!

what's goin on tomorow (bone)?

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
So far it seems that more people are available on Saturday. Let's keep those posts coming guys; we need the responses to get this up and running. The way this went was Zephyr posted the place, so I went in, talked to one of the reps around 12 today. He gave me the tour, told me to come back when the owner was there. So I got Rick to wake up (at 7 PM LOL) and we went down there, talked to Mr. Mudd, and worked stuff out. And thank you, Viet, for helping out a ton and giving us some options. I'm sure if we have all of SDs support in this we can keep these triweeklies going. Same people, just a different place =P. (and $5 extra, but what's $5 yeah?)

So are you going to decide whether it will be held on Saturday or Sunday depending on everyone's responses?
That, and to decide whether or not to even hold it this weekend. So far, it's looking up! Can you make it, and possibly bring some friends?

me, maple, and deth are free for both saturday and sunday. more saturday though. count my post for 3 people then!

what's goin on tomorow (bone)?
Awesome. Can't wait to see you guys there.

SexyDoodles

Smash Journeyman
Insanely short notice. O_o

I'd have to call in sick to make it.

I'LL BE THERE :cool: icognito

edit: ....maybe. it really is a short notice. like really.

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
Insanely short notice. O_o

I'd have to call in sick to make it.

I'LL BE THERE :cool: icognito
Awesome =P. Yeah, it's short notice, but we'd really like to try and get this off the ground ASAP. If we can draw even a small crowd in a matter of 2 days, I'd like to think that'll say something to Mr. Mudd and the guys that work at Mudd Club about the support the smash scene has.

LBK! of CIC

Smash Cadet
The point of this post is twofold:

To let you guys know that yes, I will be there if a tri-weekly happens.

And also, to complain about Wobbling being banned.

What is Wobbling? It's not a glitch. It's not an exploit, it's not a bug, It's a technique that gives the user a controlling advantage. Exactly like, well, a well-executed waveshine, or even a well-timed edgeguard. If the YYG was banned, sure I would complain and moan and whine and drag my feet, but there's some fairness in that. Banning Wobbling because it's "TOO GOOD!" just isn't fair.

Also, it leads us to a slippery slope. Okay, so an infinite combo is banned. How many hits counts as an infinite? Is the IC player allowed to attack while they grab? if so, how many times? If not, can't we all agree that's just a little unfair?

What about chain throws? Are we going to totally outlaw those?

Banning Wobbling is just a knee-jerk reaction that tells the world that SD can't play smash at a decent level.

What, are we afraid that Azn Lep is going to come down and own everybody? Yeah, he's a fantastic player, but we need to either learn to play against him or pick up ICs ourselves.

Taking away someone's tools is not a fair way to beat them.

SexyDoodles

Smash Journeyman
At first I was all for banning the wobbles just because it's 'cheap'. But since then it's been analyzed, and I think it isn't really fair to ban it. A lot of things are cheap.

I just propose we unban wobbles and move ICs up a tier or or something =p

Even with the wobbles I don't think IC would be the best character in the game, so why ban it? There's already a huge unbalance in this game, and I don't think the wobbles totally separates the ICs from Fox or Shiek. Fox and Shiek are still better than the ICs with wobbles imo.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that the wobbles isn't game breaking. It CAN be, but so can fox's shine/peaches bob-omb, etc. Sure it's easier to do but there's always a way around it.

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
Back from the dead? Perhaps. I should be able to make it, but fear not, I still can't SHL or SHFFL. <--- failure.

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
Well, we already have a way to handle this; each individual who plays against an ICs user can choose whether or not to ban wobbling. Many places have done this already and not had an outbreak of people calling the people at their tournaments "gutter trash" (you know who you are). However, since we are such a tightknit community, we'd like to give everyone a chance to choose whether or not they want to have an entire stock taken off because of one grab. =P

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Well, we already have a way to handle this; each individual who plays against an ICs user can choose whether or not to ban wobbling. Many places have done this already and not had an outbreak of people calling the people at their tournaments "gutter trash" (you know who you are). However, since we are such a tightknit community, we'd like to give everyone a chance to choose whether or not they want to have an entire stock taken off because of one grab. =P
EX CROSS COUNTER! Yeah, and Ill say gutter trash again in the name of Dudley. The thing is this concept of banning it the way you say is just as bad. Even me, a grand defender of the infinite would ban it if I ended up playing against a skilled IC player in a tournament You know why? Cause I want to win. I want to win the tournament match by any means necessary. This semi-banning wobbling has the exact same affect as just straight up banning.

How about we have it so we can choose whether or not we want to get Uair spiked by the G-dorf? How about choose to not be shine spiked by the Fox? Choose not to be Up+B spiked from Link? One... Two... Three... The End!

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Ooo... neat. Well I can probably make this. Does the tourney have a time? Oh and regarding IC "glitches..." There's nothing I can say about Wobbling that hasn't already been said so I'll just put that to rest. But for the Nana freeze glitch... it's completely out of both players control and only happens 1/100 times or so (for those of you that don't know the reverse freeze glitch or "nana" freeze glitch occurs when Popo is squalling and the opponent grabs Nana and throws her towards you.)

Immediate forfeit of the IC player seems ridiculous, especially when it's more the fault of the opponent than it is the IC player (rarely is it better to throw Nana than smash her, save a few exceptions.) In addition, when you consider "what if the IC player was up by 3 stock in the 3rd match of a set?" If this rule is continued to be enforced, people can actually abuse it. Yes, I know 1 in 100 seems pretty unlikely, however it's not too difficult to get Popo off the ledge and repeatedly abuse Nana's ******** AI, getting 2 throws in attempt to activate the glitch. Having this opportunity 2 or 3 times a stock leads to 18-24 attempts in a match. Assuming a match goes to the third match, all of a sudden the probablity tops to nearly 75% of performing the glitch, which doesn't lead to just a stock, like wobbling, but to an immediate victory in the match, and possibly the set.

The 2 logical solutions would be to either restart the match entirely, or let the IC player unfreeze the Peach, I mean the opponent... then separate and have someone countdown to continue the match. I could be wrong, but it just seems unfair, well to me atleast, that a player could be forced to forfeit a match for something that not only isn't their fault, but could be manipulated against them.

Oh wait I do have one or two questions about wobbling (sorry I guess I lied about putting it to rest) Assuming that we keep the rules that are currently in place, can an opponent ban wobbling in mid-set or mid-match. ie: match 1 is won by wobbling. Can the opponent say "My bad for not banning that, but its banned for the rest of the set."? Likewise in mid-match, let's say someone gets wobbled on their first stock and then says, "oh i forgot to ban it, lemme ban it from here on in" Of course the IC player deserves to first stock for the opponents carelessness, but would wobbling be allowed for the duration of the match or stop there. In addition, if it is allowed for the rest of that match, should it be allowed for the rest of the set?

romeo619

Smash Ace
freeze glitch should just have the IC unfreeze whoever and suicide a stock.

you gotta ban wobbling before the match if you don't when the match starts ur stupid and it's ur faullt

_jFK

Smash Rookie
Wow, things are lookin up for thing triweeklies again! SD has the best smash scene! :3

I'm sure me and doodles will be able to make it. Probably vietgamer too, and maybe LBK and our other brother, Kyle.
yo say hi to Kyle for me, we played oodles of that naruto game at the last triweekly

Rickety

Peace and Love
The tournament will start tomorrow at 1:30pm!
Please be there, and Please Bring TV's and Cubes!

In regards to the good ol' IC's:
Pat, when I asked you about the Nana solo-freeze glitch, you told me that there was no way it could be influenced by either of the two players, that it was completely random. It was with that in mind that I made the decision I did. With this new info on hand, though, I'll adjust the info. Say, just unfreeze the Peach opponent.

As far as wobbling, we can make an announcement at the beginning of the tournament and tell people about the rule. From there on out it's their responsibility to bring up the rule BEFORE the match. To be fair, though, if they really did forget about it, after you wobble them the first time, and they want it banned for the rest of the set, fine, but you deserve that first grab-death on them. It's a good way to make sure people never forget. :]

Giza sounds so angry :-/

<3

J Flo

Smash Journeyman
LHG and I will be able to make it. Pnoy(Richard) might be able to...not to sure. If he does, I'll need a doubles partner. I can bring a cube for sure, but maybe not a tv...I'll bring it anyways lol.

Zack353

Smash Ace
Good lord, I didn't even know this thing was going on tommorow. Rickety and his super short notice. >_>

I'll probably make it.

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
Good lord, I didn't even know this thing was going on tommorow. Rickety and his super short notice. >_>

I'll probably make it.
Psh, give me no credit. =P The short notice is because WE got short notice; I only got in to talk to them yesterday, then brought Rick to talk to them last night, and then we posted information about it right when we got back to my house. We're doing the best we can with the new venue =P Hopefully it goes off without a hitch!

Rick, remember how he originally said we had the venue until 8? Well, Viet was good enough to think that that might not be enough time for us, so he told me he was going to push to see if we could get the venue until a bit later (seeing as how nobody else is going to reserve the venue from 8-11 [their closing time], it might not be a problem). So, we'll see how things pan out. So far it looks good and promising!

So far here's what I've got for TVs:
1 -- Me
1 -- Rickety + SA3Tony(right?)
1 (maybe 2) -- Boss, Deth, and Maple
1 (maybe) -- J Flo
1 -- Asp + Doodles
And one is a plasma provided by them, so we'll just hook up a cube through a VCR to the TV to abolish the lag problem. I'll bring the VCR, and if anyone else wants to bring extra VCRs and maybe some empty tapes, we can film some matches.

Cubes:
1 -- Me
1 -- Rickety + Tony
2 -- Boss, Deth, Kyle
1 -- J Flo

We might be able to use one more set of TV + Cube (he said there's enough outlets to count for 6 TVs and Cubes) so if one more person could volunteer, that'd be awesome.

MchZ

Smash Rookie
hey this is viet i couldnt push for you guys for more time but he says when there are more players he'll understand if things stretch out a bit longer then expected. Yeah for now 6 hours is all you guys have but more so we want you to finish the tourney so we'll hope for a smooth tournment and best to luck to you guys.

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
hey this is viet i couldnt push for you guys for more time but he says when there are more players he'll understand if things stretch out a bit longer then expected. Yeah for now 6 hours is all you guys have but more so we want you to finish the tourney so we'll hope for a smooth tournment and best to luck to you guys.
Alright that's fine, we can get it done in 6 hours. Thanks for trying though =P You've been a big help.

$BONE$

Smash Ace
EX CROSS COUNTER! Yeah, and Ill say gutter trash again in the name of Dudley. The thing is this concept of banning it the way you say is just as bad. Even me, a grand defender of the infinite would ban it if I ended up playing against a skilled IC player in a tournament You know why? Cause I want to win. I want to win the tournament match by any means necessary. This semi-banning wobbling has the exact same affect as just straight up banning.

How about we have it so we can choose whether or not we want to get Uair spiked by the G-dorf? How about choose to not be shine spiked by the Fox? Choose not to be Up+B spiked from Link? One... Two... Three... The End!
LOL......... ???????????????? PSYCHO?

Top Bottom