• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

kyubikirby

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to contact some people over at mesa to see what could be arranged there, as well as a few places locally. If it becomes more difficult, my dad knows many places that could host it, so I'm sure that we'll be able to find one.

SA3Tony

Smash Journeyman
Viet gamer ur smashfest was cool.

i suck0rz 2 much.....

I need young links phone number !!! XD

Diamond Version OWNS

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
Did this "new rule" that prevented the Triweeklies from being held at the lodge have anything to do with the exchange of money on school property? What exactly was it?

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I think that it was that only people from The Sixth College could reserve the lodge, and I don't think Edrees is from the Sixth College. Am I correct?

SA3Tony

Smash Journeyman
It makes it so people that live in the sixth colledge can rent venues only at sixth college......i think.......

The money thing, i guess money cannot be involved or it is seen as gambling.....so we need to colllect money outside of the colledge...i think......

I want to get good at smash......peace....

mrb1tch3s

Smash Ace
Wow....there have been a LOT of these >_>...I wish i could go...u guys are pretty far away...Just asking...How many people do u usually get at these?

romeo619

Smash Ace
Basically, they don't feel like hiring anybody to collect the money so they told Edrees he should go to his own college and rent out a lodge since he's not from Sixth.

araknophobik

Smash Master
Basically, they don't feel like hiring anybody to collect the money so they told Edrees he should go to his own college and rent out a lodge since he's not from Sixth.
thats the gayest **** ever
meh, a change of venue on the campus isn't that bad though

on a side note
if ya'll wanna witness ****, go to nexus
and see me and boss tear that ***** up ^_^

SA3Tony

Smash Journeyman
Im trying to get good since im on break, but i have to wait till rick gets home to go anywhere.

619 0WnZ SA3Tony

I need $BONE$ Training : (

Jeff, where are u in the smash community?!?! STOP PLAYING NEXUS!

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I think I've found a possible venue for us. They're looking for tournaments to host, so I'll try and get in contact with the owner (I already talked with some random guy at the end of the line, the owner's going to call me back) and see what the cost might look like. So far, it looks like it might be plausible, though.

Rickety, what's the highest value you would be willing to pay for the venue?

Yloh

Smash Apprentice
Hey, thank you Team Harmony for letting me smash with you guys yesterday. My only regret is not bringing a cube. =( I really wanted to play you guys more and play with more characters, but there will be other times. =)

You all are really good! Even the worst member of Team Harmony can pack a punch. I'll smash with you guys later!

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I think I've found a possible venue for us. They're looking for tournaments to host, so I'll try and get in contact with the owner (I already talked with some random guy at the end of the line, the owner's going to call me back) and see what the cost might look like. So far, it looks like it might be plausible, though.

I think we should look at the cost logically. We want there to still be enough money left for a substantial prize at the end. We payed $50 for the previous venue a day. Now, since that's a college thing, I don't think it'll be possible to find one that cheap anywhere. Let's say an average tournament has 60 people; That's about $450-$600 (since some people don't enter both events), so theoretically about $250 per event pot. If we aim for third place in either event getting their entry fee back at a rate of 50/30/20, then the most we could pay would be approximately $300. Realistically, I hope we can find one that's cheaper than that. But if worst comes to worst, what other choice would we have?

Let's pray that 3rd can get more than their money back, haha.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Alright, I'll try and keep the price as far below that as I can. I'll also stop this from becoming a disaster like Comp 101 was. =/

SA3Tony

Smash Journeyman
Andrew, i cant play maple right now remember?
I download too many hacks and my pc is screwed up.

Zephyr, wheres this venue located?

Romeo- Train me!!! I Need Falcon Training! And peach training...

Jeff- Play smash bros...i need peach training

O yea, I may sound annoying, but i really want to get better. Sorry SD

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I can reserve the lodge fine, but then only people from sixth college can set up money collection. . Then, i found the new venue on campus, and it costs 100 dollars, and it's probably the same deal that I can't collect money, and I didn't want to risk doing it under the table without telling them, so I didn't take that option. And Fabian the reason it's being moved completely off campus is because I'm no longer involved in running it..

You guys could look into Ocean View Terrace. Since you're not students (don't tell them that, just tell them you want to reserve it) the repercussions of doing the money thing if they find out will be nothing. If i put my own name on it, the school would see it as a red flag to inspect, but with someone elses, they won't even notice. Just go to Marshall college reslife at ucsd. Someone who looks old enough to be a student, heh.

Well just an option , I wouldn't use it as a main pick, just a backup.

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
I can reserve the lodge fine, but then only people from sixth college can set up money collection. . Then, i found the new venue on campus, and it costs 100 dollars, and it's probably the same deal that I can't collect money, and I didn't want to risk doing it under the table without telling them, so I didn't take that option. And Fabian the reason it's being moved completely off campus is because I'm no longer involved in running it..

You guys could look into Ocean View Terrace. Since you're not students (don't tell them that, just tell them you want to reserve it) the repercussions of doing the money thing if they find out will be nothing. If i put my own name on it, the school would see it as a red flag to inspect, but with someone elses, they won't even notice. Just go to Marshall college reslife at ucsd. Someone who looks old enough to be a student, heh.

Well just an option , I wouldn't use it as a main pick, just a backup.
Ocean View Terrace? Maybe I'll talk to you more about it some other time. Good idea not dealing with the money under the table; we wouldn't want to get you in trouble. I'd say Rickety is the best candidate for looking like a student, but I'm not so sure how good he is at doing sneaky things =P

I can pass as older if I go a couple days without shaving, so maybe I'll look into that.

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
http://muddclub.net/index.html

Yar, there's the site. It's in Poway, so very close to a good deal of the SD smash scene and not too far away for others.
That's another PC LAN center. Those don't generally have a good deal of walking space, and we'd need it to set up cubes and for people to walk around. If I'm ever in the area, I'll go in and check out the floor space, but I'm not optimistic.

After all, you remember how Comp 101 was, and that place was pretty **** small.

EDIT: That mind ball thing looks trippy. I wanna try it.

EDIT2: So after scanning their page, I see they have no email address, even though it says to hit up their contact page and email them. Looks like I'm gonna have to either call or go in sometime. *sigh* e-mail would be so much easier.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I already called, and the manager's gonna call me back soon. It's not like Comp 101, about half their stuff is poured into console gaming. I'm getting a good vibe about this one.

J Flo

Smash Journeyman
This new LAN place Zephyr brought up is stirring up a lot of hype within the 2D fighting scene in San Diego. I'm hearing good things about this place and that it most probably has a bright future, but we can't be sure yet if it will be able to be our new home for our triweeklies.

EDIT: Here's a Mudd Club thread at shoryuken.com in case if anyone wants to read what others think of this place...http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=129344

LHG

Smash Journeyman
These all seem like doable venues. It's better to open up our options then limit ourselves, hopefully we'll be able to have a steady pace of 3 weeks per tournament too.

Size, profit, less spending, and location for everyone to be able to get to FTW.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
If everyone starts looking for places, then we'll certainly have a lot of choices. SD should really start to band together and make this happen!

Rickety

Peace and Love
Messages!

Assuming the triweeklys continue to pull in the usual 50-70 people, 50-75 Dollars seems best without tacking on a venue fee to the price of admission. If we were to add a venue fee between 2 and 5 Dollars, we could go as high as $200 or $300, though we would probably lose people like Ken or other big names who come partially in part of the big prize pot.

You all are really good! Even the worst member of Team Harmony can pack a punch. I'll smash with you guys later!
Aww, thanks :] I will try to get better!

Realistically, I hope we can find one that's cheaper than that. But if worst comes to worst, what other choice would we have?
Harmony Dailies ;)

=[[ maple story is a smash stealer, man.
And WoW.
And Dota.
And Nexus.
And (in my case) CVS2, 3S, ST

I can reserve the lodge fine, but then only people from sixth college can set up money collection. . Then, i found the new venue on campus, and it costs 100 dollars, and it's probably the same deal that I can't collect money, and I didn't want to risk doing it under the table without telling them, so I didn't take that option. And Fabian the reason it's being moved completely off campus is because I'm no longer involved in running it.
I could try contacting Franco in setting up a revenue account and being in charge of the money collection at the Sixth College Lodge; last time I spoke with him and explained our situation, he said he'd be willing to help us out with reserving a venue for us in his name. That is always a possibility. :]

Of course, that means we'd still most likely have to use the checks to distribut prizes. Still, do people like this idea?

I'd say Rickety is the best candidate for looking like a student, but I'm not so sure how good he is at doing sneaky things =P
I have crazy age-masking mindgames! I can ALWAYS keep a straight face :-P

http://muddclub.net/index.html

Yar, there's the site. It's in Poway, so very close to a good deal of the SD smash scene and not too far away for others.
Very nice :] I wonder how much it costs?

This new LAN place Zephyr brought up is stirring up a lot of hype within the 2D fighting scene in San Diego. I'm hearing good things about this place and that it most probably has a bright future, but we can't be sure yet if it will be able to be our new home for our triweeklies.
It's looking good :]

love,
rickety

P.S. Bone always sounds so serious online and on aim, but is always so nice and cheerful and cute in person! <3

P.P.S. I'll post more about this later, but yesterday after coming back from a job thing, I stopped by PC Game Link and met the people that run it; they're very cool people! Wednesdays you can come in there and play for free! They let you use their arcade sticks and TV's and the atmosphere is always very friendly. The place itself was a little small, but they said there's another part of the venue that is empty and they never use, but the might for smash tournaments! Smash may find a new home, depending on how things go!

Possible Venues List:
1. Mudd Club
2. PC GameLink
3. Sixth College Lodge

P.P.P.S. I wanted to play with you guys yesterday! I didn't know all those people were over! Yay Harmony! <3 I was working :-/ Testing games, but nonetheless, working. :-P

P.P.P.P.S. Zack<3 might come with us to Nexus! Yay! Who is going to Nexus? We should all make a caravan together and go!

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
By a little bit small, how small are you talking? Like, how many TVs would we be able to set up?

EDIT: I just looked at the Club mudd place on mapquest, and it's literally 2 minutes from my house. Maybe if I have some spare time I'll go check it out today =P

SA3Tony

Smash Journeyman
Yeah! Everyone sounds dedicated to try and help the tri weeklies!

Nice stuff at your house pat, even though i got rocked, it was still fun. BONE 0wNowz me XD, and also sandbagged me : (

Doodles and Jon- Your singing is too good XD

ASP- ur pro at that one jump superstar game. I just like that fat guy with the body slam cancel. I got rocked so hard, i had to give phone numbers to everyone XD

PEace Dawgz

TheBOSS

Smash Lord
rick, myself and deth will be at nexus for sure. maple (kyle) is a maybe. we should all go up together for sure!

J Flo

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if PC GameLink has enough room for the usual triweekly crowd if the guy was talking about the back room with the 3S cabinet.

I just received a PM at shoryuken.com from one of the workers at Mudd Club but I told him Zephyr is already trying to handle things over there. He mentioned that one of his coworkers is a hardcore smash player, so that's a REALLY good sign. I gave him a link to this thread and recommended that he registers and gives us a heads up on everything.

Rickety

Peace and Love
Okay everyone! Patrick and I have talked to Mr. Mudd, owner of the Mudd Club gaming center, and they said that we could definitely run the Triweeklies there again! The thing is, the best day to have a tourament there for this next triweekly would be THIS SATURDAY or SUNDAY!

Patrick and I would like EVERYONE to post saying if they could make it to the Mudd Club this weekend to play!

It's crucial that we get everbody's support so we have an idea what day would work best for everyone. I'm going to call the guy at around 11 PM tomorrow night, so I would like the majority of the people to answer by then (and tell us if you could bring friends; the more the merrier!) It's crucuial we get a crowd of at LEAST 30 people for the first one. We need to show them that we're serious business, and that our tournaments are good for their area. It's a nice venue with plenty of space to roam around while waiting (and you can play arcade games if you wanna pay for them!)

Because this place is high end and has enough room for all of us (unlike most gaming centers) there will be an extra $5 venue fee involved, bringing the total cost of entry for singles+doubles to $15. I understand this is a bit to ask, but we need everyone's support in keeping the smash scene strong. Since we can no longer hold the tournaments at UCSD (face it, $50 a day was a steal and we'll never get that in the real world) this seems like our best bet.

Here's the website, address, and map. It would be best to mapquest it from your houses, as it's not that hard to find but tucked in a little ways off the freeway.

13510 Sabre Springs Parkway
San Diego, Ca 92128

To give you guys an idea, it's right off the 56 + Ted Williams exit from the 15. Coming north, you exit on Carmel Mountain Road, turn right on Rancho Carmel, and take that for about 2 miles until the Mudd Club is on your right (it's a giant building, you canNOT miss it!)

Your smash buddies,
Rick and Patrick (<-- did all the typing!) <3<3<3
:]

J Flo

Smash Journeyman
This is AWESOME news!

Wow...this weekend? I'll be able to make it for sure...I'm not sure if Pnoy(Richard) will be able to make it on saturday though...

Should we bring tv's and cubes as usual? If so, we'll most likely be able to.

Top Bottom