• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Vouge

Smash Journeyman
Oh shiz eric. I watched that peach and thought it was yours. LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Also, thanks everyone for the kind words.

p.s. nobody quit ok

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Radical Andrew, think about how much better everyone is at this game than they were in 2007. There's really no comparison. At Genesis I 2-0'd (or 2-1'd) everyone in my pool. In 2007 I beat SS, Isai, and a bunch of other top ranked pros.

SS would tap me today, no spit. The scene has just moved to another level.

Now let's think about your situation. You were 2-0'd by everyone in pools back in 2007, flash forward 4 years to 2011 - You barely missed brackets in 2011 because of a tie breaker, finishing your pool 3-3. I don't think there's any shame in that. You're going even with today's community, whereas 4 years ago you were a whipping boy (no offense). To me that basically means over the last 4 years your rate of improvement has been greater than the community as a whole, which is saying something. Sure you may never be PP or Mango good, but pretty much none of us will be.

Play the game for fun and good things will happen. That goes to all you SD smashers.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Thanks everyone! For letting me do lame stuff I guess? lol

If you've ever talked to me one on one or played me in a semi-serious session, hopefully you'll realize the approach I have with this game. The game has some serious flaws and exploits that are in many ways uncounterable or heavily favors one side. I believe that it is our job as players of the metagame to exploit these flaws when it is needed because essentially that is how the game and your character progress. Playing mew2king over the past weekend was living proof of someone who literally lives and breathes exploits. ex. Planked Ky with puff in a friendly. (He was dead serious about it)

There are times when the game is fun of course. But my approach to the game is that I'm running out of time. I'm getting older and busier with less and less time to sit down and just enjoy the ridiculously fun aspects of the game. The only thing that intrigues me about this game now is "How much can I get better before I put it away?" Upon realizing that my time with this game is almost up, I completely changed the way I played. Instead of watching combo videos I watched different playstyles and read up on situational tactics. Instead of practicing ridiculous combos I gave more attention to spacing. And finally, instead of rushing in thinking tech skill will pull me through, I started thinking about what is advantageous in situations. From this, my style changed DRASTICALLY which Eric and the rest of the older players probably know of.

Remember why you play this game. If you're searching for improvement, find it in yourself before seeking it in others.

SNG

Smash Journeyman
Tristan, RD

Just keep playing this game for fun. It's no big deal if some better players beat you this time around. Just keep playing and you'll eventually get better and beat those people back. You guys are good, so I don't know why you guys are complaining.

Also, the number 1 way to get better is to lose. If you feel that you don't know what you're doing wrong, feel free to ask the people who are beating you. I'm sure Eric would be more than happy to share insights (so would pat, me, jun and anyone else).

Like Pat said, just play it for fun and things will eventually come to you.

SD <3

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

wait wtf it won't let me type it in all caps. I didn't know the boards had an anti-caps lock if I didn't have any other text...

edit: lol 901st post!

Vouge

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I've been sufficiently inundated with warm fuzzies and hope. Can we draw this chapter of my smash game to a close?

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
All this work...finally...
We're finally there.

-Jesse, SNG #1 Fan, Sasheiaopdkf #3 Fan, We're Awesome and Tristan Hasn't Stopped Believin'! Success!

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
why does the big 1000 have to be about emotions? were a bunch of dudes. scrote up ;) jk, but its kinda funny that all this is happening on a thread.

@pat
if we/me ran a tournament sometime later in the quarter would you actually play in it?

@anto
when is your next tourny?

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ht8-c8mg3s#t=2m17s

Yeaaaaaa!!!

are me and sunny cool now?

smashfest this friday yaaaaaaay can't wait
You and Sunny were never cool.
But you two are a OTP >_>

why does the big 1000 have to be about emotions? were a bunch of dudes. scrote up ;) jk, but its kinda funny that all this is happening on a thread.

@pat
if we/me ran a tournament sometime later in the quarter would you actually play in it?

@anto
when is your next tourny?
Because 1000th page is a big thing. Hype it up with the Genesis trailer music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh43296BJ_M

Edit:
To Anto: I'm guessing not for a while either. Pound 5 is in Feb and I'm pretty sure we're all burnt out from Triweekly XXX and WGF 2011. Plus midterms suck

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
I've decided that from now, on I'm going to play as gay as possible, always. I'm carrying on friendly habits into to tournament which is bad <.<

I'm going to play gayer than Jun :3

See you guys Friday. =D

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
I'm gonna start playing really lame because of wgf. Maybe, ill pick up shiek/marth.
man you can just play whack with fox. whack fox > whack anything else

Thanks everyone! For letting me do lame stuff I guess? lol

If you've ever talked to me one on one or played me in a semi-serious session, hopefully you'll realize the approach I have with this game. The game has some serious flaws and exploits that are in many ways uncounterable or heavily favors one side. I believe that it is our job as players of the metagame to exploit these flaws when it is needed because essentially that is how the game and your character progress. Playing mew2king over the past weekend was living proof of someone who literally lives and breathes exploits. ex. Planked Ky with puff in a friendly. (He was dead serious about it)

There are times when the game is fun of course. But my approach to the game is that I'm running out of time. I'm getting older and busier with less and less time to sit down and just enjoy the ridiculously fun aspects of the game. The only thing that intrigues me about this game now is "How much can I get better before I put it away?" Upon realizing that my time with this game is almost up, I completely changed the way I played. Instead of watching combo videos I watched different playstyles and read up on situational tactics. Instead of practicing ridiculous combos I gave more attention to spacing. And finally, instead of rushing in thinking tech skill will pull me through, I started thinking about what is advantageous in situations. From this, my style changed DRASTICALLY which Eric and the rest of the older players probably know of.

Remember why you play this game. If you're searching for improvement, find it in yourself before seeking it in others.
i feel like you couldve summarized this post in: my approach = play like a ***** and you win lol <3 you jun

I've decided that from now, on I'm going to play as gay as possible, always. I'm carrying on friendly habits into to tournament which is bad <.<

See you guys Friday. =D
lol i have the same problem. i need to do a better job of separating antics from serious play. its tough with falcon though .. but whatever. johns. bottom line, i got the same problem(s) and i gotta fix it lol

..so it looks like the crew battle isnt going down (?) .. if thats the case i probably wont make it friday but i'll push for monday. see you guys then!

stopNstart

Smash Journeyman

See you guys Friday. =D
this is exactly what me and jun talk about after every tournament

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
Might as well follow the bandwagon and post on the 1000th page as well

Edit: Btw RD, the article you wrote. RoM3 wasn't PP's first big tourney that he won. I think it was HERB 3

Edit 2: Actually, I think HERB 3 was more of a regional tourney in NC.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Current Standings

Jun :fox:/:marth: - 1656
Sunny :falco:/:falcon: - 1610
Ky :falcon: - 1603
Yuta :falco: - 1543
Radical :marth:/:falcon: - 1531
Jesse :falcon:/:luigi2: - 1517
Tristan :fox:- 1506
Baker :jigglypuff:/:peach: - 1505
Joe Zhang :falcon:/:falco: - 1498
Ian :sheik: - 1491
Brandon :falcon: - 1488
David :yeahboi: - 1486
Dawson :falco:/:marth: - 1482
Anthony :fox:/:101: - 1471
Tom :falcon:/:ganondorf: - 1440
Miguel :peach: - 1444
Eric :zelda:/:popo: - 1433
Andwu :sheik:/:ganondorf: - 1433
Kevin :drmario: - 1427
Kelvin :falco: - 1426

Unranked
George :mario2: - 1500
Lanstar :marth: - 1500
Connor (the adult) :sheik: - 1500
Vionce :ganondorf: - 1500

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
The game has some serious flaws and exploits that are in many ways uncounterable or heavily favors one side.
seriously, what other multiplayer game requires u to pull a trigger like 10 frames before you touch the ground from an aerial or jump, or that you cant grab the ledge from behind. i feel kinda dumb that i've spent so much time learning how to play a game with poor mechanics.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Hey Caotic, how many TV's are we looking at, cause if it's any more than 4 we'll have more than enough time for doubles or crews. Singles should only take a couple of hours if even that. Ontop of that it'll make the pot a little bigger for maybe a second polace prize, since the lodging will already have been accounted for. Just a thought.
man that was over 5 years ago... what the hell

.PNOY.

Smash Apprentice
dude just looking back at old results, smash was SO FUN back then. entering as richard and nocturnal, losing to judd, and even getting 4 stocked in tournament by rick. i miss the old triweeklies where it was mainly only SD :(

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
seriously, what other multiplayer game requires u to pull a trigger like 10 frames before you touch the ground from an aerial or jump, or that you cant grab the ledge from behind. i feel kinda dumb that i've spent so much time learning how to play a game with poor mechanics.
Pardon my ignorance, but...

Who is this? I see you post and post and I can't figure it out! Ahhh!
Someone help me here!!!!

Haha, Pat. You are a relic from an ancient past. You're probably the only 2010-2011 Smashfest regular that was here for the inception of San Diego Melee.

EDIT: Last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YEAAAAAAAAAA crews!!!

Also, page 1000 is awesome! 14 unique posters in one page and two SD greats from its heyday!

-Jesse, SNG #1 Fan, Sasheorwwef #3 Fan, Pat is Our Guru

Top Bottom