• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Echoing everyone, great job to the TOs, Pat, Andrew, Andrew, and the rest of tech committee, the volunteers, and everyone who made this happen. It was amazing.

Lets have a crazy *** event when this page reaches 1000 pages.

And I mean something CRAZY
UCSD Norcal vs Socal crews?

EDIT: Paul and Anto, you guys are lame. Finals johns are dumb. Did you at least watch my Zelda on stream? LOL I was getting wrecked by Scar :(

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
Dude Final johns are legit johns.

You should celebrate the 1000th page with a trip to irvine.
Final johns are legit johns....just not for HS. And Anto's final johns fail because I talked to him on livestream lol.

On a side note: Pat, are you missing any splitters? Because I have like...4 extra pairs of splitters that aren't used in my recording setup. I think the brawlers have your dazzle; I saw the lucario hat guy/girl/thing using it with his/her/its laptop.

If you're not missing splitters then they're probably stab's

Jun.

Smash Lord
Final johns are legit johns....just not for HS. And Anto's final johns fail because I talked to him on livestream lol.

On a side note: Pat, are you missing any splitters? Because I have like...4 extra pairs of splitters that aren't used in my recording setup. I think the brawlers have your dazzle; I saw the lucario hat guy/girl/thing using it with his/her/its laptop.

If you're not missing splitters then they're probably stab's
Those are my splitters

if you know what i mean

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Don't fall for Eric's lies. I'm Yuta's number 1 fan.
I see.
I'm looking forward to Smashfest on Friday. I hope I've leveled up after WGF experience.
Also, we should really do NorCal vs. SoCal.
I think NorCal players have placed better overall in the past two tournaments.
So, obviously, we are better. =D

Out of the three doubles teams that made it into brackets in WGF, 4 out of the 6 players were Northern Californians. One was a solid NorCal team and the other two were hybrids. A solid, uniform SoCal team (SK, PBS) did not make it out.

I am the bringer of facts.

-Jesse, SNG #1 Fan, Shahseiejmrajdf #3 Fan, and Eric lies.

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
ill actually agree with eric for once. norcal vs socal should happen on the 1000th page.

can we put money on it? because kyle loses bets and richard sucks in tournaments.

@engdrew. you should have my ps3, cables, 2 ps3 controllers, fight sticks, littlebigplanet, wiimote, and a gc controller. let me know when i can get it and if youre missing anything.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
i think the average norcal player is better than the average socal player.. BUT I GOTTA REP MY SIDE OF THE STATE SONN. $5 on socal. get at me

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
I am sooooooooooooo up for this crew battle.

You guys have no idea.

Every post of mine in the past day, pointless and meaningful alike, has been to get us closer to the NorCal vs. SoCal Crew Battle Pt. 1 (because we all know this will be an epic series) I don't really care if NorCal isn't totally prepared, but I want to be ready for when it happens.

Eric, convince Sunny "The People's Champ" Ng to come on Friday!

-Jesse, SNG #1 Fan, Shaseiesamkfskafer #3 Fan

Vouge

Smash Journeyman
Spreading that san diego hate eh peeps. Anyway, Yuta won't be here on friday and to be honest me and him played today and were both super off. Idk yo, I think we both got shook by wgf. At least I am.

I think I'm gonna start being like Eric and playing to hangout a little more than playing to get better. At this point I don't think I'm gonna catch up with the pros so I'm really gonna focus on making the game fun. Have fun with your serious crews yo.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Spreading that san diego hate eh peeps. Anyway, Yuta won't be here on friday and to be honest me and him played today and were both super off. Idk yo, I think we both got shook by wgf. At least I am.

I think I'm gonna start being like Eric and playing to hangout a little more than playing to get better. At this point I don't think I'm gonna catch up with the pros so I'm really gonna focus on making the game fun. Have fun with your serious crews yo.
Tristan,

Been there, done that. haha.
I've been through so many slumps and you don't know how many times I've "given up" after a tournament.

You're going to get better before you know it and then you'll just want to try the next time a tourney comes around.

EDIT: You probably would believe how many times I've given up after tournaments because I haven't been to many. So scratch that.

-Jesse, SNG #1 Fan, Sasheiemreiurj #3 Fan, Don't Stop Believin', Vogue!

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
You're pretty funny on the Internet Jesse. I like how you **** up Yuta's tag a slightly different way each time.

So apparently a bunch of my pools matches got recorded. They're pretty bad.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
looool, let's all play nice :]

I think you should always be playing to have fun! But I don't ever think it's "too late" or anything. Dr. Peepee started this game in late 07 during m2k's era, and who would have thought that a few years later, he would be beating m2k in tournament? You can always get better if you want to, no matter how far the metagame has come.

That being said, you know I hate playing this game seriously LOL :p My main goal for playing this game definitely isn't to get better, and that was a decision I made 5 years ago due to practicality (school/life johns). It definitely wasn't because I thought I wasn't good enough to "catch up", even though the skill difference between me and the top players then is probably even bigger than the skill difference between you and the top players now. You shouldn't let that stop you from trying to get better, because you're really good! I'm not just saying that to make you feel better or anything lol. I honestly really like your playstyle personally, and Zhu thinks you have a lot of potential too :p "Who's the guy with the curly hair that plays like, a billion characters that was teaming with Yuta? He's pretty good." LOOOOOOOOOOL

EDIT:
:132: to what Jesse said. Just play to have fun and it'll all happen by itself.

Lol Andrew, I watched your matches. They were kinda funny. I liked your set with Eddie :]

I like how this is turning into a Tristan motivational thread.

Also, Jun is good lol. I actually do like playing Jun, because it forces me to think through everything I do, and forces me to work on my approach because usually, I'm not the one approaching in matches just due to my character choice. The one thing I found while playing m2k is that approaching a really good player is the hardest **** in the world. After playing one of the best campy Foxes in the world on Pokemon Stadium, I realized that either:
a. Peach's approach is terrible
b. Peach is terrible
c. I'm terrible
d. all of the above
I'm leaning towards d. But then I watch Armada do it and think to myself, meh maybe Peach isn't so terrible. So it must be just me. So I just need to approach better and find different ways to do it. And playing Jun helps me with that :)

denwo

Smash Rookie
I dunno if you guys have heard, but I play this game for respect. and for the lols.

stopNstart

Smash Journeyman
gotta agree wit eric, playin jun made me better.
Edit: don't give up tristan, or our mm will be boring ;D

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Andrew: I'm glad someone finds it amusing. haha.

Tristan: See what you did? You made Eric bust out some super secret Zhu compliments.

Eric: What I learned from M2K is to stop spot dodging. Especially against M2K.

Really, though, what I learned as a Falco main playing against M2K, Zhu, and PP is that you CAN'T be afraid to approach and if you are afraid...Stop It! If you have the timing down for aerial+shine, you will get something at least once and sometimes that is all it takes to change the flow of the match.

Also, I think I agree about the Jun thing going on here. He punishes obvious mistakes that aren't obvious until he beats you. He always hits me with a well spaced front strike after a poorly-spaced small jump beam gun. I need to stop that.

Jun is the reason we've all been getting better.

-Jesse, SNG #1 Fan, Sasheieradxzc #3 Fan, Thanks Jun!

KLuless1

Smash Cadet

Of course, everyone who plays this dumb game plays it because they get something out of it... If it's not the satisfaction of winning and being competitive, it's usually just the fun we have playing casually, which probably applies to everyone who frequents this thread. Playing seriously to get better is a pretty tiring experience and requires a lot of motivation, and puts the focus on criticizing your game instead of having fun, which is what I really wanted to do in the first place. I think I came to the same sort of realization about Melee a couple years ago. I'm just not that good. Lol. -DK taunt-

It's definitely worth your while to show up to smashfests and tournaments though anyway, just to play for fun and hang out. When I got more involved with the community here and just played more often, that's what I enjoyed the most. Not that I don't try to improve my game and try in friendlies, but that's definitely not my priority most of the time.

At WGF, I didn't win a single set in Doubles or Singles. Tourney results aside though, I thought it was a great experience overall just playing with random people, watching friends play and just chatting with people. I also spent too too much time talking over Livestream instead of playing friendlies and thoroughly enjoyed it. If I could just commentate and watch Melee consistently I'd probably be really happy. :)

TL;DR: Play for fun, Tristan. :bee: If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong. The SD community and Melee community in general is awesome.

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman

You have no idea how many times I wanted to throw my controller through the TV (usually through Sunny's TV, too ****ing good) at how frustrating this game is. I do like winning, but I guess I've finally realized that it's not possible without all the hard work (see Shroomed in 08 and Shroomed now). I want to say the road to become great is tough (started this dumb game at the beginning of college and I still haven't made it out of pools -_-), but the people and community are what keeps us playing and/or stepping up our game. No matter how demoralized you are, just keep at it and the SD Melee scene will have your back.

Otherwise this game is really dumb. Take a party game that is meant to be non-serious and completely random. Strip off 95% of its randomness making into a serious fighter, though a bit counterpick heavy, that somehow is much deeper than the creators intended.

Although Jun's playstyle is lame, it makes me think more about my approach to everything...unfortunately I'm still campy according to everyone. -_-

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
God, I still can't ****ing believe that M2K vs. Dr. PP set this past weekend. WTF

Anyway, to jump on the bandwagon, I've been playing this game since 2007, and I probably have a total win-loss ratio of like 1-7 or 1-8. Even in 2009, I went 0-2 across my pool at Genesis. I was at the bottom of the Berkeley scene from 2007 to 2010 - at least one of the players there didn't even want to waste their time playing me. I actually try really hard about 95% of the time, and I still struggle to play one character well when people around me can play better while sandbagging with several. Hell, whenever I play Sunny he makes me feel like my 2007 self again. I've always been an extremely disciplined player (though this hasn't been as true lately since I leave my TV at the lodge for everyone's convenience), but as of Winter Game Fest 2011, I have still yet to ever make it out of pools.

This is what it means to be a competitor. I've still come a long way, and four years ago, or even two, there was no way I could see myself being where I am now, or even anywhere beyond this. I've met some of the funniest people I've ever known through this game, and some very good friends. I've even met the guy who will be my best man (if I ever find someone worth marrying) -- he's the unknown Samus player with tournament victories over HugQ and Darrell!

Top Bottom